Producers that Never Blew Up?

Comments

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    This dude:

True Joe Quixx had beats! Still produces but kind of on the DL right now.

The last thing I heard T-Ray produce was a Dilated Peoples track I think. It was cool but a far cry from his Double X Posse, Funkdoobiest, MC Serch, Artifacts funk he used to produce. I think he still collects breaks so I wish he'd come back.

J Rawls
    Fat Jon
    DJ Mitsu
    Danny Breaks
    SP from Starving Artists Crew
    The Earl
    Einstein
    Headnodic

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    buckwild has not blown up enough. After whoah you would have thought.

I hear you but all things considered, dude has had a pretty good run. He was like the back-up Pete Rock for years.

He's down with DITC, his resume is ridic' I'm sure he's super-paid. I'd say he's blown

Household name??? I dont think so.

Maybe we should name somebody who iz, to set the bar before cats come with different meanings of "BLOWUP". Maybe Stacks should present the example.

A Hip Hop Producer who my mother knows...........

Hey Batmon,

Good question. I don't expect "hip-hop" producers to blow up like Pharell or anything. I'm thinking of dudes that get (or got) consistent work and are (were) a part of productions for major artist in the field. You know, those dudes you HAD to get a beat from for your album. Although the producers I'll list had popularity at varying times in the industry, some cats off-top I can think of are:

-Premiere.
    -Pete Rock.
    -Easy Moe Bee (for a hot minute).
    -Buckwild.
    -Dre.
    -Jay Dee.
    -Large Professor (somewhat).
    -Diamond.
    -Rza.
    -Muggs (to a lesser extent).
    -Marley (back then).
    -The Beatnuts.
    -Prince Paul (early 90's).
    -Mike Dean (I think that's dude's name).
    -Organized Noise.

-I'm all tapped out, and I'm sure I'm missing some dudes.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I'm not really directing replpies to anybody, I'm just trying figure out exactly the sandard of success. Is it Top 40 hits? or critical acclaim? Money? respect by Hip-Hop nerds?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Hasn't the guy that did "Bad Boy For Life", I think his name was Megahertz or something like that been popping up some lately?

Oh yeah, Megahertz is nice, what happened to that cat? I like that track he did for De La and Slick Rick too.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    ogee-(street smartz-metal thangs) that beat still sounds amazing! also some nice beats on oc-jewelz. is this guy still making beats?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Maybe we should name somebody who iz, to set the bar before cats come with different meanings of "BLOWUP". Maybe Stacks should present the example.

A Hip Hop Producer who my mother knows...........

Hey Batmon,

Good question. I don't expect "hip-hop" producers to blow up like Pharell or anything. I'm thinking of dudes that get (or got) consistent work and are (were) a part of productions for major artist in the field. You know, those dudes you HAD to get a beat from for your album. Although the producers I'll list had popularity at varying times in the industry, some cats off-top I can think of are:

-Premiere.
    -Pete Rock.
    -Easy Moe Bee (for a hot minute).
    -Buckwild.
    -Dre.
    -Jay Dee.
    -Large Professor (somewhat).
    -Diamond.
    -Rza.
    -Muggs (to a lesser extent).
    -Marley (back then).
    -The Beatnuts.
    -Prince Paul (early 90's).
    -Mike Dean (I think that's dude's name).
    -Organized Noise.

Minnesota is definitely second string compared to that list but EL-P gets mo press
    than Minnesota.

• rob lewis

• 'Tollah

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    This dude:

F'real, though. Give the man his props!

• This dude:

F'real, though. Give the man his props!

DJ Day? "What Planet What Station" is that fire man.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ski of "Reasonable Doubt" and Camp Lo fame.

• Ski did a lot of joints though. I mean, he had what, half of Reasonable Doubt?

• Ski did a lot of joints though. I mean, he had what, half of Reasonable Doubt?
    AND all the Original Flava shit

Ski did a lot of joints though. I mean, he had what, half of Reasonable Doubt?

Yeah but Ski's name rarely comes up in the same convos as people like Pete, Primo, Buckwild, etc.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Yeah but Ski's name rarely comes up in the same convos as people like Pete, Primo, Buckwild, etc.

Maybe 'cause Original Flavor's first Lp didnt Blowup.

He's just not that prolific, despite having made some good material I don't think it should.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Ski of "Reasonable Doubt" and Camp Lo fame.
    Like Larry Fishburne in Searching For Bobby Fisher, "THERE IT IS!"

He's just not that prolific, despite having made some good material I don't think it should.

Disagree homie. His tracks for "Reasonable Doubt" were a big reason behind its success and his stuff for Camp Lo's album were pretty blaze. He also exec produced All City (but uh, maybe we should just leave that off the resume). And yeah, I forgot the Original Flavor stuff, some of which was pretty cool ("Can I Get Open?", "Here We Go").

I agree - not super prolific but under the criteria of producers that never blew up, I think he's someone who was poised to blow but didn't.

Also, does Easy Mo Bee qualify?

Disagree homie. His tracks for "Reasonable Doubt" were a big reason behind its success and his stuff for Camp Lo's album were pretty blaze. He also exec produced All City (but uh, maybe we should just leave that off the resume). And yeah, I forgot the Original Flavor stuff, some of which was pretty cool ("Can I Get Open?", "Here We Go").

I agree - not super prolific but under the criteria of producers that never blew up, I think he's someone who was poised to blow but didn't.

Mo Bee is to Ready to Die as Ski is to Reasonable Doubt.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    does Easy Mo Bee qualify?
    i mentioned him right away

Mo Bee is to Ready to Die as Ski is to Reasonable Doubt.

co-sign,
    "Mo bee drop that shit" always get me in 2pac's temptations. He along with 45 king,showbiz,bomb suad are producers that we're excellent and contributed with artists they felt. Suge/puff saw his potential for good music and used him in the same way. The mo bees and buckwilds are just producer's that stuck to producing and did'nt go all out to be seen or heard a la Jazze Pha. it was that era when rap was blowing up/but still good at all levels.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

Camp Lo's last album had some joints that probably would have made some noise if it was put out properly. "How U Walkin'" with the R****** P**** sample is so damn dope!

Ski is that dude. It's a shame he hasn't gotten the chance to have his big hit.

Well, here's the thing - Ski's tracks were not the shit that got the most play on that record - "Can't Knock The Hustle" was remixed, and the remix IMO got more play; "Dead Presidents" was big but the Primo tracks were certainly the most talked-about; EZ Mo Bee did "Brooklyn's Finest", and while I think Ski did "Ain't No Nigga"... shit, anyone could have done that... not exactly and individual stamp as a producer.

Rumor is that dude pulled some big head shit with Jay after the record blew, and that led Jay to not work on future records with him.

The Camp Lo record was really bad imo - I liked the beats but could never really get with them as MCs. It never went anywhere and so, while dude definitely is nice, he's never really produced classic music other than with Jay.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    EZ Mo Bee did "Brooklyn's Finest"

I thought Clark Kent produced that one.

• EZ Mo Bee did "Brooklyn's Finest"
    I thought Clark Kent produced that one.

You're right. My bad.

Same point though, that the biggest tracks on that record were not done by Ski. Hence Jay's line on "Mama Loves Me"

"Primo laced me, Ski did too/Reasonable Doubt, classic, shoulda went triple"

I always wondered because, you know, Primo did what, 3 tracks? Ski did like 7...

You know - this discussion made me go back to the shelf and pull out Reasonable Doubt and as it turns out...we're all wrong:

Can't Knock the Hustle: Knowbody
    Politics as Usual: Ski
    Brooklyn's Finest: Clark Kent
    Can I Live: DJ Irv
    Ain't No Nigga: Big Jaz
    Friend or Foe: Primo
    Coming of Age: Clark Kent
    Cashmere Thoguhts: Clark Kent
    Dead Presidents II: SkiFeelin It: Ski
    D'Evils: Primo
    22 Two's: Ski
    Bring It On: Premier
    Regrets: Peter Panic

Yeah, I guess Ski's output wasn't all that hot after all. I thought "Politics As Usual" and "Feelin It" were pretty strong but the other hot tracks off this album were really Kent and Primo.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Camp Lo's albums had some joints that probably would have made some noise if it was put out properly.
    Ski is that dude. It's a shame he hasn't gotten the chance to have his big hit.

Luchini!!!!!!!!! could have been a major hit.

This is it what! luchini falling from the sky lets get rich what!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    You know - this discussion made me go back to the shelf and pull out Reasonable Doubt and as it turns out...we're all wrong:

Can't Knock the Hustle: Knowbody

Politics as Usual: Ski

Brooklyn's Finest: Clark Kent

Can I Live: DJ Irv

Ain't No Nigga: Big Jaz

Friend or Foe: Primo

Coming of Age: Clark Kent

Cashmere Thoguhts: Clark Kent

Dead Presidents II: SkiFeelin It: Ski

D'Evils: Primo

22 Two's: Ski

Bring It On: Premier

Regrets: Peter Panic

Yeah, I guess Ski's output wasn't all that hot after all. I thought "Politics As Usual" and "Feelin It" were pretty strong but the other hot tracks off this album were really Kent and Primo.

He did do "Who You Wit" though, off the next album, and one of Jay's defining early tracks.

Also responsible for Sporty Thievz "Cheapskate" and Fat Joe's "John Blaze," w/ Nas, Rae, Jadakiss and Pun... which I had thought until recently was Trackmasters.

• Can't Knock the Hustle: KnowbodyClassic[/b]
    Politics as Usual: SkiClassic[/b]
    Brooklyn's Finest: Clark KentCLASSIC[/b]
    Can I Live: DJ Irv aka Irv Gotti, who then used this record for Ashanti CLASSIC[/b]
    Ain't No Nigga: Big Jaz Classic[/b]
    Friend or Foe: PrimoClassic[/b]
    Coming of Age: Clark KentClassic[/b]
    Cashmere Thoguhts: Clark KentClassic[/b]
    Dead Presidents II: Ski Classic... but the 12" version is better[/b]
    Feelin It: Ski Classic... i guess... one of the weaker tracks on the LP IMO[/b]
    D'Evils: PrimoCLASSIC[/b]
    22 Two's: Ski NOT classic, except for Jay's rhymes[/b]
    Bring It On: Premier Classic[/b]
    Regrets: Peter Panic Classic[/b]