Producers that Never Blew Up?

Comments

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    Hasn't the guy that did "Bad Boy For Life", I think his name was Megahertz or something like that been popping up some lately?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This dude:

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Yeah No ID is still in the game too.

This thread should be called "Why don't they make underground rap records anymore" lol

• Yeah No ID is still in the game too.

This thread should be called "Why don't they make underground rap records anymore" lol

Cats will stay in the game but will they ever "BLOW UP". Household name status??

No offense, but No ID has never made household name status music. I like a lot of what he's done, but he's never been responsible for a "Drop It Like It's Hot" or a "Lean Back". He's not a hit maker.

So by those standards cats like PR, Primo, and LP have never blown up either?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Cats will stay in the game but will they ever "BLOW UP". Household name status??

No offense, but No ID has never made household name status music. I like a lot of what he's done, but he's never been responsible for a "Drop It Like It's Hot" or a "Lean Back". He's not a hit maker.

I totally agree. He was gettin' alot of love for Ressurection but wasnt able to
    graduate to bigger/high profile gigs. I was never a fan but cats really suck on Ressurection lp...........you would think his status would raise. Commons' did.

THE FULL VIDEO

It didn't help that No ID's solo album was snoozy.

I think J-Rawls from Lone Catalysts continually turns out great beats but he's always been in an underground niche.

Those three get/got alot of press/media. They have higher profiles than any of the other cats mentioned except for Mister C who's a radio/dj cat.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    buckwild has not blown up enough. After whoah you would have thought.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Dug infinite
    Masta Ace's beautiful was just that

This seems interesting
    There's some monsters on that, as far as the unreleased stuff. There's some beats from the first couple of Common albums too on there.

Here's a track I made with one of the joints on there. That 100 Proof Aged In Soul Clip isn't on the beat LP. That's my doing. Ignore the shitty two-track mix.

I hear you but all things considered, dude has had a pretty good run. He was like the back-up Pete Rock for years.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Stacks' complaint was that No ID was not a household name.

While those three guys have been hugely influential within rap music, none of them is a household name, either.

The liner notes to Hard to Earn or Mecca and the Soul Brother are simply not being parsed within that many American households. That's just the way it is.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

I think J-Rawls from Lone Catalysts continually turns out great beats but he's always been in an underground niche.

Co-sign. His recent RnB stuff could help him blow. Amerie feat Mos Def and there ya go.

I hear you but all things considered, dude has had a pretty good run. He was like the back-up Pete Rock for years.

Big Co-sign. Dude is like a +15 year vet w/ tracks on many classic lps.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Great response. I was gonna respond, but you said it better. Dude produced major singles for most LPs from about 1994-1996 or 97.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• buckwild has not blown up enough. After whoah you would have thought.

He's down with DITC, his resume is ridic' I'm sure he's super-paid. I'd say he's blown

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

True same could be said about Finesse (underated producer), bombsquad, Easy Mo Bee never gigantic but constant and appreciated.

Whatever youre opinion may be about the Man. 9th wonder's run over the past 4 years is an example of blowing up. To a lesser degree Hi-Tek.

• jay dee.

He's down with DITC, his resume is ridic' I'm sure he's super-paid. I'd say he's blown

Household name??? I dont think so.

Maybe we should name somebody who iz, to set the bar before cats come with different meanings of "BLOWUP". Maybe Stacks should present the example.

A Hip Hop Producer who my mother knows...........

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Johnny J
    Check out time, picture me rollin.

True same could be said about Finesse (underated producer), bombsquad, Easy Mo Bee never gigantic but constant and appreciated.

Whatever youre opinion may be about the Man. 9th wonder's run over the past 4 years is an example of blowing up. To a lesser degree Hi-Tek.

Different times/Different industry.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

i don't think any of these guys has been as consistent as bucwild.buc's gonna have a beat or two on the new saigon while everybody else hasn't been on a 'highprofile' lp in awhile.bucwild has managed to have a beat on most records coming out of ny that were worth a damn.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

To a lesser degree Hi-Tek.

Personally, I don't think Hi-Tek got enough work either. Dude is mad talented and should get some shine. Finesse was ridiculous too, but did get a steady flow of work for a few years, though ("Suicidal Thoughts", "Ga Head", "Off and On", "Street Struck", a cut on Fat Joe's first joint, that posse cut on Artifacts 2nd album (with Finesse and Jamar as cameos), "All Black", a joint on "Goodfellas", etc.).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    jay dee.

I was going to say that, that Janet song and the Pharcyde stuff was super popular yet no one knows his name. However i think Dilla might like it that way
    Cant wait for donuts!

Personally, I don't think Hi-Tek got enough work either. Dude is mad talented and should get some shine.

Hi-Tek had at least one track on this year's biggest album, which will hit 5x platinum before much longer.

While those three guys have been hugely influential within rap music, none of them is a household name, either.

The liner notes to Hard to Earn or Mecca and the Soul Brother are simply not being parsed within that many American households. That's just the way it is.

Then by those standards, 99% of rap producers haven't blown. The American public in general don't know shit about rap producers. They know Dre, Neptunes, Puffy, maybe Timbaland.

This whole discussion all depends on what we consider "hits" and "blowing up."

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Personally, I don't think Hi-Tek got enough work either. Dude is mad talented and should get some shine.
    I know he went the underground route for awhile. However ever since the Game album he may be going for shine his recent track Nati streets (feat snoop,kweli) is really a southern sound

Him and j-rawls(brownskinlady) should get shine rnb and hiphop, would make for good music on radio. That black star fuse unfortunately burnt itself out.

Then by those standards, 99% of rap producers haven't blown. The American public in general don't know shit about rap producers. They know Dre, Neptunes, Puffy, maybe Timbaland.

This whole discussion all depends on what we consider "hits" and "blowing up."

That is Stacks' standard, not mine. I don't know why you're directing this post at me.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Hi-Tek had at least one track on this year's biggest album, which will hit 5x platinum before much longer.

I had no idea that he did a beat on the Quasimoto lp or that it sold so well...