Producers that Never Blew Up?

Comments

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Yo,

Speaking of "Swifts", whatever happened to J-Swift? His work on "Bizarre Ride...." was legendary, though he should have remember to clear his samples. I thought he'd get mad work after his great production on that LP. Dude was nice wid it ("For Better or For Worse" all day, aaaayday!!!!).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Someone posted on hore the other day saying he was a crackhead.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    This dude:

Yeah I am looking for a 45 this cat put out a while back. Sounded dope

• please tell me that you no longer sip Bustelo. This is not a look befitting a boss.

Bustelo is the move. Not your everyday Chock-Ful-O-Nuts. Get your bodega game in order!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Threads that blew up

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Spinna
    Roy Ayers remix is the shit

• please tell me that you no longer sip Bustelo. This is not a look befitting a boss.

Bustelo is the move. Not your everyday Chock-Ful-O-Nuts. Get your bodega game in order!

I will leave my bodega game as is, thank you.

[Countdown until Moistly Phonics titters at Chock-Ful-O-Nuts: 5, 4, 3, 2...]

I will leave my bodega game as is, thank you.

yuppie

I actually don't like Pete's. Shit tastes like sludge. NOW, back when it was a independent shop in Berkeley (only), that shit was on mash. Peep my "I was up on it before anyone else" game).

For upscale coffee it gets no better than Porto Rico Importing Co. here in NYC. Although I miss having plain, good coffee on every corner like in the Bay.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

However, it's hard for me to believe that a corner of the world exists that that Heltah Skeltah terd ever, for even the briefest of moments, had on lock.

I'm not used to seeing you this disconnected from the streets. You need to get down to BK more often...

He's right though. That record was big in Brooklyn. Boot Camp was repping really hard for Bedstuy/Crown Heights/Brownsville for a minute there.

If you say so, then I believe you... the Heltah Skeltah and OGC albums were still terrible albums, though. My reaction to both those records was pretty much just to say "Okay, Bootcamp's done" and keep it moving.

• Spinna

maaaaaaaaad prolific but hella inconsistent.

but I love dudes drums and the way his shit sounds. plus the fact dude is pretty well balanced (able to make soul, house, broken beat etc..) and a good dj goes along way.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo,

Speaking of "Swifts", whatever happened to J-Swift? His work on "Bizarre Ride...." was legendary, though he should have remember to clear his samples. I thought he'd get mad work after his great production on that LP. Dude was nice wid it ("For Better or For Worse" all day, aaaayday!!!!).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Woah, you missed the preview for the "JSWIFT IS A HOMELESS CRACKHEAD" documentary. Shit is sad

Sorry to hear that, dude was really talented. I guess sampling "His Royal Badness" without clearing first could break you off financially.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    This dude:

Yeah I am looking for a 45 this cat put out a while back. Sounded dope

Call Groove Merchant in SF they might have one cause I remember seeing one a couple of months ago.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Big Cosign...I especially like the Vocal Remix (93 BPM)...though it was a bit pricey @ Amoeba= 16.99

gNAT

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Hip Hop buyer @ Berkeley Amoeba!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Spinna

maaaaaaaaad prolific but hella inconsistent.

I especially like the Vocal Remix (93 BPM)...

but I love dudes drums and the way his shit sounds.

Opening drums on that track bang. cosign on inconsistent. if you like his stuff check wale im tellin ya

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

For upscale coffee it gets no better than Porto Rico Importing Co. here in NYC. Although I miss having plain, good coffee on every corner like in the Bay.

Porto supplies tons of NYC coffee shops as well. It's just a question of which places actually prepare it well.

now back to the debates.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Regarding SKI- he's known for his "big dude" work, but he's produced for tons of NC artists (he's from here)... the early shit is flames, he produced and rhymed with the Bizzie Boys, probably produced much of the Payroll catalog. In recent years he's been doing the local thing again... far more inconsistent though. Occasional gems from Hot Wright & Now City, but I always check out the no-name 12s he does and they're never good...

And whoever said Luchini should've been a big hit must've been a kid then or something, that WAS a huge hit... by the standards of rap records of the day anyway...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    buckwild has not blown up enough. After whoah you would have thought.

I hear you but all things considered, dude has had a pretty good run. He was like the back-up Pete Rock for years.

He may have been in the 90s, but the fact that he's been able to evolve with the music and still have hits in recent years to me puts him in his own class... PR can't say the same... Buck is huge RIGHT NOW and has been putting out records forever...

• Carlos '6 july' broady & Nashiem Myrick. CNN shit was classic, Biggie shit.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Carlos '6 july' broady & Nashiem Myrick. CNN shit was classic, Biggie shit.

I forgot about those dudes!!! "Driver's Seat" and "T.O.N.Y." were my joints!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I even bought La the Darkman's LP based on the strength of 6 July's involvement. I think that was a pretty slept on record. But I ended up giving it to this girl named Susanna Lucci because there was a song on there called Lucci...Oh well.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    K-Def for sure. Only Lords of the Underground could spoil his beats. Thanks to the fella who posted the link to his website last week. The Artifacts - 'It's Gettin Hot' remix with the George Benson guitar loop is very nice. When did this come out, and why had I never heard it until now?!?!?

• dj honda had a few pretty hot tracks...i'm not sure if he blew up or not though

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

However, it's hard for me to believe that a corner of the world exists that that Heltah Skeltah terd ever, for even the briefest of moments, had on lock.

I'm not used to seeing you this disconnected from the streets. You need to get down to BK more often...

He's right though. That record was big in Brooklyn. Boot Camp was repping really hard for Bedstuy/Crown Heights/Brownsville for a minute there.

If you say so, then I believe you... the Heltah Skeltah and OGC albums were still terrible albums, though. My reaction to both those records was pretty much just to say "Okay, Bootcamp's done" and keep it moving.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Some good beats aside, those albums were garbage to me.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Some good beats aside, those albums were garbage to me. [/b]

Especially their follow-up albums.

• Regarding SKI- he's known for his "big dude" work, but he's produced for tons of NC artists (he's from here)... the early shit is flames, he produced and rhymed with the Bizzie Boys, probably produced much of the Payroll catalog. In recent years he's been doing the local thing again... far more inconsistent though. Occasional gems from Hot Wright & Now City, but I always check out the no-name 12s he does and they're never good...

And whoever said Luchini should've been a big hit must've been a kid then or something, that WAS a huge hit... by the standards of rap records of the day anyway...

I interviewed Ski a few years ago for a Jay retrospective I was helping to write and all he wanted to talk about was his new shit in NC (pretty typical). But then when I was asking him about working out the songs in the studio and Jay not writing anything down and the creative process, etc. he tells me that it's not that impressive and the dude from Camp Lo was better! This was right before the Black Album dropped and he was little salty that Jay wasn't going to use one of his beats even though there had been press that Ski would be included.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Though I always thought "Who You Wit" was a straight bite of Lil Kim's sound on "Hardcore". I mean, isn't it a bit strange that Kim and Jay appear on a song together that uses a John Payne loop then "Who You Wit" comes out...with a John Payne loop? Just askin'.

Is it a good song or not?

To me the answer is yes.

I don't even know who John Payne is and I doubt many of the people that got hype when they heard "Who You Wit" were worried about it either.

It is a good song. I was merely pointing out that Ski's ear for beats, in this case may have been more due to having heard the Lil Kim song first. Anyways, not important.

• penis butter wolf or whatever his name is...

Regarding SKI- he's known for his "big dude" work, but he's produced for tons of NC artists (he's from here)... the early shit is flames, he produced and rhymed with the Bizzie Boys, probably produced much of the Payroll catalog. In recent years he's been doing the local thing again... far more inconsistent though. Occasional gems from Hot Wright & Now City, but I always check out the no-name 12s he does and they're never good...

I interviewed Ski a few years ago for a Jay retrospective I was helping to write and all he wanted to talk about was his new shit in NC (pretty typical). But then when I was asking him about working out the songs in the studio and Jay not writing anything down and the creative process, etc. he tells me that it's not that impressive and the dude from Camp Lo was better!

And where is that guy today?

penis butter wolf or whatever his name is...

Ouch.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I interviewed Ski a few years ago for a Jay retrospective I was helping to write and all he wanted to talk about was his new shit in NC (pretty typical). But then when I was asking him about working out the songs in the studio and Jay not writing anything down and the creative process, etc. he tells me that it's not that impressive

I mean, how impressive would one expect the process of watching somebody not doing something to be?