Stupid (and Racist) Halloween Costume (NRR)

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    waiting to hear the comments on this form the soulstrut concious

On what?

I am guessing that in Adam's topsy-turvey world, taking offense at the idea of white people in blackface, yet not being offended by Tyra's prank = hypocrisy.

Call it a hunch.

On Tyra's Whiteface costume.

is this offensive & racist

is it seen as justified

does she get a pass cause she is black?

does the door swing one way?

Oh, damn, he beat me to it...

• On Tyra's Whiteface costume.

is it seen as justified

she does get a pass cause she is black

the door swings one way

A-Dizzle:

why was this even a question.....?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

is it seen as justified

is she supposed to be Paris hilton?

etc, etc

As a White person I am unoffended.
    But I don't know the answer to all of your questions.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    BTW: Anyone else catch Tyra Banks' costume yesterday?

Yes, that's Tyra.

RADD

• On Tyra's Whiteface costume.

is it seen as justified

is she supposed to be Paris hilton?

etc, etc

well, i'll try to answer all these...

i'd tap

white face or not
    prob even in clown face

• edubedub 715 Posts

Yes, that's Tyra.

RADD

I'd tap

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Yes, that's Tyra.

RADD

I would not tap

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

is it seen as justified

the door swings one way

A-Dizzle:

seriously I don't know, but I mean why was this thread even 2 pages?

Prince William did that whole Nazi thing for a costume party a while back, was I offended? no, but I did think it was just a dumb move. Same could be said for anyone dressing in blackface or in white face for that matter.

I also love to see the usual suspects on here get all up in arms about the smallest racial offenses. It ain't like this is a violent crime or something meant to directly hurt anyone, ain't nothing but poor choices, or someones brand of comedy that you or I don't get.

But don't let my comments stop anyone from flying off the handle.

is it seen as justified

the door swings one way

A-Dizzle:

I also love to see the usual suspects on here get all up in arms about the smallest racial offenses. It ain't like this is a violent crime or something meant to directly hurt anyone, ain't nothing but poor choices, or someones brand of comedy that you or I don't get.

Who are the "usual suspects," Adam?

KARLITO?

Young_Phonics?

idiotproof?

noz?

Because those are the people who seem to be taking (and expressing) the greatest offense.

Do you even read these threads before clicking "reply"?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

is it seen as justified

the door swings one way

A-Dizzle:

KARLITO?

Young_Phonics?

idiotproof?

noz?

Because those are the people who seem to be taking (and expressing) the greatest offense.

you forgot to add your name to the mix.

And yes I read through and sometimes chuckle at all the wasted energy put into things like this when discussions about much more important racial issues can be brought up.

I'm already prepping for the pending "Black Santa" thread

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Paris is looking good these days

ohhhh! the full body shot does her more justice.

• edubedub 715 Posts

I would TAP!!

is it seen as justified

the door swings one way

A-Dizzle:

KARLITO?

Young_Phonics?

idiotproof?

noz?

you forgot to add your name to the mix.

And where do you see me "getting all up in arms" in this thread?

I didn't even touch it until more than a full day after it initially appeared.

Again:

• Paris is looking good these days

I like her so much better the "original" way...

• Dudes, blackface is aways offensive. its not the same thing as a tyra putting white makeup on. theres a history to blackface.

Jeesh, why cant this shit just die with our grandfathers?

• I'm not gettin bent out of shape or anything. I just made a couple posts w/ pretty sedate examples.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Yes, that's Tyra.

RADD

I would not tap

colored minds think alike....she does not "hold me" either

and i'm assuming she was trying to make a political point.....i guess she forgot she was a dumb model

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Prince William did that whole Nazi thing for a costume party a while back, was I offended? no, but I did think it was just a dumb move.

and so? how you feel about something does not dictate how others should feel about it or things similar.

Same could be said for anyone dressing in blackface or in white face for that matter.

No, it cannot.

OK, I won???t. Your constant refusal to acknowledge, history, context and personal experience when it comes to race is totally confounding to me. The door has never swung both ways, so why insist on looking at these situations and judging them as if it does ??? this is not helping anything.

It might be comedy and a small racial offense to you, but it is hurtful, insulting and totally demeaning behaviour for others. Why deny that people have different thresholds and limitations?

Prince William did that whole Nazi thing for a costume party a while back, was I offended? no, but I did think it was just a dumb move.

and so? how you feel about something does not dictate how others should feel about it or things similar.

You must be new to GuzzoWorld...

• dumb model

would this is a semantic pleonasm, like tuna fish?

• Prince William did that whole Nazi thing for a costume party a while back, was I offended? no, but I did think it was just a dumb move.

Same could be said for anyone dressing in blackface or in white face for that matter.

No, it cannot.

OK, I won???t. Your constant refusal to acknowledge, history, context and personal experience when it comes to race is totally confounding to me. The door has never swung both ways, so why insist on looking at these situations and judging them as if it does ??? this is not helping anything.

It might be comedy and a small racial offenseto you, but it is hurtful, insulting and totally demeaning behaviour for others. Why deny that people have different thresholds and limitations?

If I could add on:

Prince William (although I think it was the other one) wearing his Nazi bullshit and the blackface thing are offensive because it shows we do not know our own history. If we dont know it, we are bound to repeat it. And that is tragic. We must be vigilant to ensure history does not repeat itself.

semantic pleonasm

these seem like important words

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Oh, the burden of being blinded by privilege.

*sigh*

Anyone who can even begin to imply that a black person dressing up "in white face" is even remotely comparable to a white person dressing up "in black face" hasn't been paying attention to the past, oh, 4 or 5 centuries of American history.

Awesomeness abounds.

-e

Oh, the burden of being blinded by privilege.

*sigh*

Anyone who can even begin to imply that a black person dressing up "in white face" is even remotely comparable to a white person dressing up "in black face" hasn't been paying attention to the past, oh, 4 or 5 centuries of American history.

Frighteningly, the person who made the comment was supposedly some sort of African American Studies major....

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    dumb model

"Tuna fish" is not a pleonasm. "Semantic pleonasm," however, is.

• dumb model

"Tuna fish" is not a pleonasm. "Semantic pleonasm," however, is.

Now you've lost me....

is that his d*ck hanging out or a long turd?