Stupid (and Racist) Halloween Costume (NRR)

1235»

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts

"oh I understand you're black and its tough"

In many ways, it is.

of course it is, but sympathy and pity ain't doing nothing to improve that.

There's a difference between empathy and sympathy.

I'm done here, though. Have fun.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    deep seeded feeling

Guzzo,
    I rarely understand anything you have to say. It seems like you are trying, but I just can't find any connection between the points raised and your flailing statements. It seems, from an outside view, that you are bringing a myriad of "deep-seated feelings" (completely unrelated) to these type of discussions. Before you lash out at the few people who bring it to your attention, know there are several of us who feel the same, but usually don't bother posting. Or, as more often is the case, are encouraged to stop posting by such behavior.

(and I have held my tongue out of respect for you and your contributions here)

Take a few months off, it feels good.

Bambouche I see what your saying, and maybe my views are not best expressed through this message board. I do have very little sympathy for people who had it tough cause I was raised that way. It really gets embedded deep in you when you see your father with Palsy and most notable total deafness raise 4 kids and do his best not to accept charity or pity from anyone.

I would hate it when people would address him like he was some sorry mistake on this earth, I guess I equate the views given by some "priveleged people" here with what I've seen growing up.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I see what your saying, and maybe my views are not best expressed through this message board. I do have very little sympathy for people who had it tough cause I was raised that way. It really gets embedded deep in you when you see your father with Palsy and most notable total deafness raise 4 kids and do his best not to accept charity or pity from anyone.

I would hate it when people would address him like he was some sorry mistake on this earth, I guess I equate the views given by some "priveleged people" here with what I've seen growing up.

I watched my father wrap a telephone cord around my neck, drag me to his truck, drive to a phone booth, call my mom, and say, "You'll never fucking see him again you fucking bitch!" This was just before he disappeared and left us with no money, no house, no car, and no hope. We lived in extreme poverty for the rest of my upbringing, which was scarred by rape, neglect, beatings, alcoholism. Not to mention being raised by racist uncles who taught me how to say "nigger", "wetback", etc., when I was just a boy.

Point being, this has nothing to do with halloween costumes or black face, so I don't bring it into the discussion. Separate your life from the issues unless your life is the issue.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Separate your life from the issues unless your life is the issue.

Knowledge being dropped.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    deep seeded feeling

Guzzo,
    I rarely understand anything you have to say. It seems like you are trying, but I just can't find any connection between the points raised and your flailing statements. It seems, from an outside view, that you are bringing a myriad of "deep-seated feelings" (completely unrelated) to these type of discussions. Before you lash out at the few people who bring it to your attention, know there are several of us who feel the same, but usually don't bother posting. Or, as more often is the case, are encouraged to stop posting by such behavior.

(and I have held my tongue out of respect for you and your contributions here)

Take a few months off, it feels good.

Bambouche I see what your saying, and maybe my views are not best expressed through this message board. I do have very little sympathy for people who had it tough cause I was raised that way. It really gets embedded deep in you when you see your father with Palsy and most notable total deafness raise 4 kids and do his best not to accept charity or pity from anyone.

Let's then look at this from that perspective.

If I am at a Haloween Party and some guy comes in as "Deaf Guy", acting like he knows sign language and throwing his hands all over, 'talking' like they think a deaf person talks, and thinking they are the funniest thing....am I 'pitying' deaf people like your father because I take offense and find it derogatory? It has no bearing on wether people can stand up for themselves or not, it is an effort by MANY people that hopefully erode people's assumptions, not just the target of bias and/or ridicule.

And there is also a big difference between being afflicted with a condition that might set you apart, or may make people see you erroneously as 'limited', and being Black. Just thought I might mention that before someone takes offense at your parallel.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Being anti-black-face has absolutely nothing to do with pity and everything to do with common sense.

Basically, white people should simply not be encouraged to do "harmless" racist stuff--especially by other white people--no matter how funny, "harmless," and seemingly innocuous these things may seem. It has absolutely nothing to do with pity. It's just common decency and respect, not to mention a very real attempt to de-program the racism that the system attempts (and most often succeeds) to program into all of us.

-e

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    And there is also a big difference between being afflicted with a condition that might set you apart, or may make people see you erroneously as 'limited', and being Black. Just thought I might mention that before someone takes offense at your parallel.

I question some peoples ability to see the difference (see the Cam'ron got shot post)