Stupid (and Racist) Halloween Costume (NRR)

Comments

• yea that was wrong..even though some people might not take offense to it...doesnt mean its right...weak man...but if he painted his face yellow...he would have got kung fu'ed yo!!

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    A white friend of mine, for his party which I skipped, decided to be all "creative" and go blackfaced.

but the [color:red] black guy they hired as server [/color]was offended.

• I can't believe that someone in this day and age would wear blackface for halloween. Besides the fact that it's racist, which it is, it's not funny. What's the joke?

You should get new friends.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    blackface in any way is just no good. I was like "hey I might go as Juicy J from the stay fly video...but I'm not black sooo..." I mean sure, do what adam did and dress up but skip the makeup or shit, just go as someone white and skip the hastle all together. So many opportunities for misunderstanding that it just ain't worth it. Some white chick at a party I was at went as "foxy clepatra" I bet she thought it was so clever...

ugh sayin

if you have to change your race for the costume to work, it's not a good costume

and anyone who uses "my black friends don't think it's racist" as an excuse should get the backhand.

yeah, if you are white you don't get to dress as a black person/character. That's just how it goes. You're not allowed to say the N-word, and you can't dress like Rick James. White privilege has to come with some drawbacks.

• yeah, if you are white you don't get to dress as a black person/character. That's just how it goes. You're not allowed to say the N-word, and you can't dress like Rick James. White privilege has to come with some drawbacks.

An ex of mine (who is very white--100% Swedish with blonde hair/blue eyes) just emailed me pics of her Halloween costume. She has on a black wig and is dressed as a Lee's sandwich employee. For those not in the Bay Area, Lee's is a Chinese-owned and run sandwich shop chain (where the sandwiches are okay and the service is way too fast). Not, as they say, a good look.

Ironic that she was shocked a few years back when she found some old pics of her grandfather wearing blackface to a costume party (in Sweden, circa 1950s). Ord, Smaaland!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I've heard of Sarah Silverman going as Sexy Hitler, but she's Jewish.

• blackface =

hate that fucking shit.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    blackface =

hate that fucking shit.

Elton John?

• i was bob geldof one year... it was sweet.

• and anyone who uses "my black friends don't think it's racist" as an excuse should get the backhand.

and for some reason I have heard this from girls more than dudes...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    ..." I mean sure, do what adam did and dress up but skip the makeup or shit, just go as someone white and skip the hastle all together. So many opportunities for misunderstanding that it just ain't worth it. Some white chick at a party I was at went as "foxy clepatra" I bet she thought it was so clever...

Glad that I didn't have anyone come down hard on my costume. Didn't know what to expect of the very race-concious soulstrut public. But I'm glad people saw that it was in fun and not in some sort of racial mockery.

I would of been Vanilla Ice, but it cost a whole lot to make a personalied leather jacket and my hair is too curly

but Karlito I don't see whats wrong with a white person going as foxy cleopatra unless they got minstrel about it. I mean the character was based o nthe vision of a white director and screen writier anyways, and saying that means that women of any color couldn't dress as any white character without being offensive, which seems to be overly-PC

• This is the type of shit we got to deal with on a yearly basis.
    Who doesn't love a children's party.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    blackface =

hate that fucking shit.

Elton John?

hahaha.

• This is astounding.
    I'm gobsmacked it still happens.

In 1992 some country town police filmed themselves at a party dressed in blackface, one even had a noose around his neck. The video was leaked & I'm not even sure if they were all dismissed from the force after it was aired all over TV. They even mocked the names of 2 Aboriginal people who had died in police custody.

That shit just hammers another nail into the coffin of human decency.

• Last night the (white) DJ in the EVR storefront had on a big afro wig. He was playing "Nann" and getting crunk. I found it offensive.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Last night the (white) DJ in the EVR storefront had on a big afro wig. He was playing "Nann" and getting crunk. I found it offensive.

White people only get a pass on afro wigs if they are Rainbow Afro Wigs and they have a sign that reads "John 3:16"

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

and anyone who uses "my black friends don't think it's racist" as an excuse should get the backhand.

and for some reason I have heard this from girls more than dudes...
    white girls, i bet.

• Last night the (white) DJ in the EVR storefront had on a big afro wig. He was playing "Nann" and getting crunk. I found it offensive.

White people only get a pass on afro wigs if they are Rainbow Afro Wigs and they have a sign that reads "John 3:16"

Or his spiritual cousin, Bob Ross...

Last night the (white) DJ in the EVR storefront had on a big afro wig. He was playing "Nann" and getting crunk. I found it offensive.

Or that MC5 guy in your avatar

Or that MC5 guy in your avatar

Rob Tyner RIP...

damn. you just took the fun out of the funny

• damn. you just took the fun out of the funny

Believe me, despite the power of his performances, Rob Tyner's white-fro will NEVER stop being funny.

damn. you just took the fun out of the funny

Believe me, despite the power of his performances, Rob Tyner's white-fro will NEVER stop being funny.

you just put a smile on my face

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

one of the worst things evar...also in my region, there is this socalled funkband (only white members) and they dress up with afros covering "get down on it" and "I'm a soulman"

one of the worst things evar...also in my region, there is this socalled funkband (only white members) and they dress up with afros covering "get down on it" and "I'm a soulman"

ick. there's one in every city. somebody here said they are a franchise or something. I hate those fuckers.

• but Karlito I don't see whats wrong with a white person going as foxy cleopatra unless they got minstrel about it.
    she was wearing blackface, which I just see as objectionable in any case...

• BTW: Anyone else catch Tyra Banks' costume yesterday?

Yes, that's Tyra.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    waiting to hear the comments on this from the soulstrut concious

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    waiting to hear the comments on this form the soulstrut concious

On what?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    On Tyra's Whiteface costume.

is this offensive & racist

is it seen as justified

does she get a pass cause she is black?

does the door swing one way?