Stupid (and Racist) Halloween Costume (NRR)

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

LOL!

Now That's offensive.

• dumb model

would this is a semantic pleonasm, like tuna fish?

"Tuna fish" is not a pleonasm. "Semantic pleonasm," however, is.

Now you've lost me....

seems like both of em are pleonasms to me?

dumb model is an oxymoron. Another could be military intelligence. Since pleonasms are always semantic (I think), semantic is superfluous.

• dumb model

Now you've lost me....

dumb model is an oxymoron. Another could be military intelligence. Since pleonasms are always semantic (I think), semantic is superfluous.

"dumb model" is definitely not an oxymoron...

• dumb model

Now you've lost me....

i was speaking on tuna fish and semantic pleonasm. dumb model is deifnitely not an oxymoron and neither is military intelligence unless you're making a joke. fish is already implied when saying tuna although maybe james thinks tuna fish would refer to the live fish while tuna would refer to the canned and cut tuna. i dont know thats why im asking.

learn somethin new:

tu??na

1. Any of several flat-jointed tropical American cacti of the genus Opuntia, which includes the prickly pears, especially O. tuna of Jamaica, having yellow flowers and edible red fruit.
    2. The edible fruit of any of these cacti. Also called cactus pear.

therefore not a pleonasm.

I'm bugging, of course its not an oxymoron. Maybe I am. Military Intell was indeed a joke.

• Military Intell was indeed a joke.

As a former MI REMF, I am highly offended by that joke.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Military Intell was indeed a joke.

was waiting for your presence...

• Military Intell was indeed a joke.

I'm bored. I can't wait for that Jarhead movie to come out. that book was good.

BTW, I think your black beret is racist against the french. or something. then again nobody really ever cares about offending the french, do they?

syke. oh jesus christ i am bored. i think i'm gonna grab a mic and baptise my coworkers.

Military Intell was indeed a joke.

I'm bored. I can't wait for that Jarhead movie to come out. that book was good.

BTW, I think your black beret is racist against the french. or something. then again nobody really ever cares about offending the french, do they?

syke. oh jesus christ i am bored. i think i'm gonna grab a mic and baptise my coworkers.
    that Jarhead movie is gonna be on some

BTW, I think your black beret is racist against the french. or something

That shit offends my looks

oh jesus christ i am bored. i think i'm gonna grab a mic and baptise my coworkers.
    just stay away from water.

• oh jesus christ i am bored. i think i'm gonna grab a mic and baptise my coworkers.
    just stay away from water.

LOL!!!!!

On Tyra's Whiteface costume.

is this offensive & racist

is it seen as justified

does she get a pass cause she is black?

does the door swing one way?

is she supposed to be Paris hilton?

etc, etc

whats your problem man?

your girlfriend get ran through by a black dude and you just can't move on?

i wish you'd say this shit to my face instead of bitching out on some message board.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I also love to see the usual suspects on here get all up in arms about the smallest racial offenses. It ain't like this is a violent crime or something meant to directly hurt anyone, ain't nothing but poor choices, or someones brand of comedy that you or I don't get.

But don't let my comments stop anyone from flying off the handle.

OK, I won???t. Your constant refusal to acknowledge, history, context and personal experience when it comes to race is totally confounding to me. The door has never swung both ways, so why insist on looking at these situations and judging them as if it does ??? this is not helping anything.

It might be comedy and a small racial offense to you, but it is hurtful, insulting and totally demeaning behaviour for others. Why deny that people have different thresholds and limitations?

To paraphrase Cosmo there has been some excellent racial debates and discussions here but as of late people have gone off on some of the most absurd topics. Shit, last week I said that Cam'ron may made a stupid move flashing all that he flashed in neighborhood. and I was met by comments calling me a racist. The week before that we had a 6 or 7 page thread about how racist the NBA dress code is.. Really though if I was from another country and was learning about American views of racism through this website I'd think racism is really just a petty issue.

There are times to get up in arms. Debating over the merit of whether you should add make-up to your halloween costume, whether black basketball players should wear suits or drive powder blue Lamborghinis is definitly not when we should be doing it.

I swear its like some of y'all are looking at african americans like they a case study in sympathy instead of real people.. It's kinda sickening

I seriusly feel like I should asking certain people here if they hang out with black people cause they feel sorry for them.

PS Bassie this ain't directed at you just happened to jump off that quote you dropped

• your friend is a fucking idiot, and deserves a proper beatdown.

word. went on a camping trip recently and the people who put it together debated on whether to put a burning cross as their flyer image for the trip. i was like, "debated?"

my ex friend is a fucking idiot, and deserves a proper beatdown.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I also love to see the usual suspects on here get all up in arms about the smallest racial offenses. It ain't like this is a violent crime or something meant to directly hurt anyone, ain't nothing but poor choices, or someones brand of comedy that you or I don't get.

OK, I won???t. Your constant refusal to acknowledge, history, context and personal experience when it comes to race is totally confounding to me. The door has never swung both ways, so why insist on looking at these situations and judging them as if it does ??? this is not helping anything.

It might be comedy and a small racial offense to you, but it is hurtful, insulting and totally demeaning behaviour for others. Why deny that people have different thresholds and limitations?

To paraphrase Cosmo there has been some excellent racial debates and discussions here but as of late people have gone off on some of the most absurd topics. Shit, last week I said that Cam'ron may made a stupid move flashing all that he flashed in neighborhood. and I was met by comments calling me a racist. The week before that we had a 6 or 7 page thread about how racist the NBA dress code is.. Really though if I was from another country and was learning about American views of racism through this website I'd think racism is really just a petty issue.

There are times to get up in arms. Debating over the merit of whether you should add make-up to your halloween costume, whether black basketball players should wear suits or drive powder blue Lamborghinis is definitly not when we should be doing it.

I swear its like some of y'all are looking at african americans like they a case study in sympathy instead of real people.. It's kinda sickening

I seriusly feel like I should asking certain people here if they hang out with black people cause they feel sorry for them.

PS Bassie this ain't directed at you just happened to jump off that quote you dropped

A suggestion: stay out of these discussions if they rankle you so

• Dudes, blackface is aways offensive. its not the same thing as a tyra putting white makeup on. theres a history to blackface.

Jeesh, why cant this shit just die with our grandfathers?

look what it did to this jackass's career:

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    A suggestion: stay out of these discussions if they rankle you so

its not the discussions but the fact that all these non-black dudes seem to come off like they pity black people

but perhaps youre right

• LOL!

Now That's offensive.

• all I wanna know is; is that Jarhead movie pro-war in Iraq or anti-war in Iraq?

all I wanna know is; is that Jarhead movie pro-war in Iraq or anti-war in Iraq?
    Don't know. I thought it was just told from a view of dude who was in Desert Storm.

• all I wanna know is; is that Jarhead movie pro-war in Iraq or anti-war in Iraq?
    Don't know. I thought it was just told from a view of dude who was in Desert Storm.

Yep, pretty much. This marine was in desert storm and came back and wrote a book about what it was like. it was really personal and thoughtful actually. a really good read. and i don't remember it being pro or anti anything, but its been a while.

• well regardless of the dude who wrote the books opinions and all I'm wondering what spin was put on it by the studio. You really can't tell from the trailer.

How does someone engaging in a discussion about something subjective (ie "is Blackface offensive to people") boil down to people on the other side of an argument from you "hanging out with Black People out of sympathy"? I think this may be the most patently lopsided and offensive thing I have seen you float on this board (and I have held my tongue about many others out of respect for you and your contributions here). I realize that to some people these discussions we have here regarding race/racial issues,etc are not everyone's cup of tea, but to basically assert that White people who disagree with your argument only have opinions on race in direct correlation to their condescension and "pity" for their "black friends" is pretty discraceful and ignorant. I am not trying to take things unduly personal, but I can pretty well guess who your barbed comments are meant to include, and I just wanted to step to it and tell you that it's outta line. You don't know how people deal with people in their lives from a debate on a message board, and it is a pretty sad look to act like you do.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

How does someone engaging in a discussion about something subjective (ie "is Blackface offensive to people") boil down to people on the other side of an argument from you "hanging out with Black People out of sympathy"? I think this may be the most patently lopsided and offensive thing I have seen you float on this board (and I have held my tongue about many others out of respect for you and your contributions here). I realize that to some people these discussions we have here regarding race/racial issues,etc are not everyone's cup of tea, but to basically assert that White people who disagree with your argument only have opinions on race in direct correlation to their condescension and "pity" for their "black friends" is pretty discraceful and ignorant. I am not trying to take things unduly personal, but I can pretty well guess who your barbed comments are meant to include, and I just wanted to step to it and tell you that it's outta line. You don't know how people deal with people in their lives from a debate on a message board, and it is a pretty sad look to act like you do.

I feel there is a fine line between respect and pity when it comes to race on this board. I've seen it crossed many times. I've been told many times on this board that I should let things slide simply because it was about blacks and I'm sorry but I am just not for that. I have a beleif in equality and not in superiority for anyone, and if someones opinions and actions are questionable I won't let the color of their skin get in the way of my thought on what they did.

I grew up in a pretty minority concious situation, everything from the mixed community, to the handicapped parents, to being the only Jew in my area. I would watch my parents get sympathy for their handicaps and I hated it, it was as if they werent if seen as people but rather as charity cases that "real" people should pay extra special attention to. A very similar thing tends to happen here on soulstrut. A black person has to deal with racism and all the related bullshit, but I think celebrating the stupid (i.e. Cam'rons little adventure & Allen Iversons complaints on clothes) simply cause these guys are african american is pathetic. No one should get a hall pass on their actions based on their skin tone. The issues need to be addressed and not sidestepped cause of some deep seeded feeling of guilt.

I'd like to think that if I came at any of my afro-american friends with the same type of "oh I understand you're black and its tough" attitude that I see on this board as opposed to just being me they would give me a "fuck you" and a slap.

Why do so many folks here tend to see issues as color first and people second?

I feel there is a fine line between respect and pity when it comes to race on this board. I've seen it crossed many times. I've been told many times on this board that I should let things slide simply because it was about blacks and I'm sorry but I am just not for that. I have a beleif in equality and not in superiority for anyone, and if someones opinions and actions are questionable I won't let the color of their skin get in the way of my thought on what they did.

I grew up in a pretty minority concious situation, everything from the mixed community, to the handicapped parents, to being the only Jew in my area. I would watch my parents get sympathy for their handicaps and I hated it, it was as if they werent if seen as people but rather as charity cases that "real" people should pay extra special attention to. A very similar thing tends to happen here on soulstrut. A black person has to deal with racism and all the related bullshit, but I think celebrating the stupid (i.e. Cam'rons little adventure & Allen Iversons complaints on clothes) simply cause these guys are african american is pathetic. No one should get a hall pass on their actions based on their skin tone. The issues need to be addressed and not sidestepped cause of some deep seeded feeling of guilt.

I'd like to think that if I came at any of my afro-american friends with the same type of "oh I understand you're black and its tough" attitude that I see on this board as opposed to just being me they would give me a "fuck you" and a slap.

Why do so many folks here tend to see issues as color first and people second?

You move further out into your own weird little orbit every day.

This is kind of a:

sad look

• dayday 9,612 Posts

"oh I understand you're black and its tough"

In many ways, it is.

• "oh I understand you're black and its tough"

In many ways, it is.

Wrong, Day.

The proper response, according to some, is:

"Look, I understand you're black, but tough!"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

In many ways, it is.

Wrong, Day.

The proper response, according to some, is:

"Look, I understand you're black, but tough!"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

In many ways, it is.

of course it is, but sympathy and pity ain't doing nothing to improve that.

In many ways, it is.

of course it is, but sympathy and pity ain't doing nothing to improve that.

How is one WHITE person telling another WHITE person that "blackface" IS a door that swings one way PITY FOR BLACK PEOPLE?

Everything is not the same just because we wish it to be.

?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    deep seeded feeling

Guzzo,

I rarely understand anything you have to say. You're obviously trying, but I just can't find any connection between the points raised and your flailing statements. It seems, from an outside view, that you are bringing a myriad of "deep-seated feelings" (completely unrelated) to these type of discussions. Before you lash out at the few people who bring it to your attention, know there are several of us who feel the same, but usually don't bother posting. Or, as more often is the case, are encouraged to stop posting by such behavior.

(and I have held my tongue out of respect for you and your contributions here)

Take a few months off, it feels good.

I am still puzzling over this nugget of wisdom--am I properly understanding it to mean that my relationships with my "afro-american" friends would benefit if I were to "just be" Adam Klein?

The mind boggles.

Are instructional booklets and cassettes available?