Weekend Finds Oct.29-30

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Schnipper killed it with the Hannah Anderson??? reference. I think your next 'zine' needs to be about various items from your wardrobe.

JEAH! I copped one off of TTLAB Schips. Congrats!

• nuttin but 45s today

Rodger Collins "caught in your love"(galaxy) everytime I see a yellow galaxy label, I hope and pray I see two things..."Rodger Collins"(check) "Foxy girls in Oakland"(not this time...I will dig up one of those one day...just one of many white whales) not "Foxy...", but a damn good and funky tune

Shirley Scott "Its your thing/You"(Atlantic)

Thelma Jones "Stronger"(barry) tough-ass sista soul

Brenton Wood "Sticky Boom Boom Too Cold pts 1 and 2"(prophesy) a funky ass Brenton Wood side? Yes!

Unlimited Four "Slow Down"(Chanson) ghetto-ass head nodder

Sons of Slum "what goes around comes around/the man"(Stax) traded my other copy to soulmarcosa years ago thinking I could dig another one up easily...first one I have seen since I sent him mine.

Ruby Johnson "weak spot/I'll run your hurt away"(volt) it doesnt get much better than this

Count Sidney and his Dukes "Soul Christmas"(goldband) found the new theme song for our annual Chirstmas Night Soul Party...great tune!

Vibrations "love in them there hills"(O-keh) call me ishmael...been lookin for this for awhile..beat as hell, but lucky its a loud ass tune and pressing, so its all good.

Inovations "just keep on loving me"(hit sound!) good funky soul tune...looks raer...who knows?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

I hope F and C mean $1 and .50 cents

I KEED, I KEED

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I hope F and C mean freakin common.

I KEED, I KEED

new age jumpoff?

• new age jumpoff?

nay

turbo version of BALTIMORE ORIOLE

• these are from the last 3 weeks or so

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    45s

rhythym heritage- theme from swat abc
    ocean- put your hand in the hand kama sutra
    ray charles- booty butt tangerine
    hank ballard and the midnight lighters- finger poppin time polydor
    funkadelic- loose booty westbound

lps

tatum/ webster- the tatum group masterpieces pablo
    buddy rich/ lionel hampton- transition groove merchant

• No digital camera so excuse them being the worst quality ever:

Mongo Santamaria - Mongo '70, Woody Shaw - Woody Three, Stanley Turrentine - Have You Ever Seen The Rain, George Benson - Gook King Bad

Buddy Miles - Bicentennial Gathering Of The Tribes, Linda Lewis - Lark, Impact LP, Bunny Sigler - My Music

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    slow week, only thing of note:

Tyrone Ashley - I Want My Baby Back, mid-tempo northern-styled heartbreaking 45

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    After sifting through garbage at two spots, i picked up two solid jazz titles:

Claude Williamson (with Sam Jones/Roy Haynes)- New Departure

Dizzy Gillespie Quintet- An electrifying evening with

and a book for a buck at a local thrift:

Jonathan Franzen- The Corrections (no, i don't read.)

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Winter wear shopping finds:

I left written instructions to my friends and family: if they ever find me posting my wear shopping finds on the net they must run over me with a truck.

Note to self: notify my friends and family of this too.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    And:

• yo frankienipplez,

how comon is that Massada LP? I found mine at the saturday morning flea in Amsterdam(forget the name, I am 4 kinds of fucked up right now) for a euro, and folks made me think I found a raer. I like it a lot, but how common are their records in the Netherlands?...just curious....what other heat does Massada have? ...you cant beat record diggin in the AM with hash and chocolate waffles

• Haven't been record shopping in literally about 2 months... Haven't had any money so I don't even go around records to tempt myself. Had a little cash this weekend so I went music shopping and found a couple things, nothing major:

and

I guess it was just an Urbaniak type of weekend.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    45 scores
    nite-liters - afro strut (rca) my best score of the day
    betty wright - clean up woman (alston)
    willie bobo - sunshine superman/sockit to me (verve)

lp's
    jointz from back in the day (quality/warlock) old school jams on here I got it for the track - I need a freak by sexual harassment
    fugees - the score
    cutty ranks - a who seh me dun (vp)
    reggae gold (vp) it's got limb by limb & sound boy killing on it
    neil young - zuma
    hey mr dj the 4th comp. (epic) has the zhane track hey mr dj and accapella. guilty pleasure???? the rest of the record is awful.

• yo frankienipplez,

how comon is that Massada LP? I found mine at the saturday morning flea in Amsterdam(forget the name, I am 4 kinds of fucked up right now) for a euro, and folks made me think I found a raer. I like it a lot, but how common are their records in the Netherlands?...just curious....what other heat does Massada have? ...you cant beat record diggin in the AM with hash and chocolate waffles

[answer hijack]

Pretty common- they were the leading indonesian band during the late seventies. Their other lp's are not halfway as nice imho.

ps: they still perform to this day, you can even book them to play the ENTIRE "astanaga"(sp) album?!

• And:

• Yeah what mr. Clay said it's pretty common over here, but i guess it's a interresting little piece for people in other countrys..I remember Japanese dudes used to go nuts and pick up every copy of this album. I used to sell this on the bay for around $25 but lately the price went down and you can usually cop it for around a tenner.
    personally i dont like buying records high anymore..because i tend to like everything i hear and come home with crappy shit

• And:

I kinda feel bad about saying this out loud, but hey you posted it in a public forum: you have HORRIBLE taste in clothing and shoes. If I were you, I would lurk around the clothing and shoe equivalents of soulstrut and get your ebay weight up in those areas (it seems that your record collection has benefitted, hopefully your outerwear will too).

• I kinda feel bad about saying this out loud, but hey you posted it in a public forum: you have HORRIBLE taste in clothing and shoes. If I were you, I would lurk around the clothing and shoe equivalents of soulstrut and get your ebay weight up in those areas (it seems that your record collection has benefitted, hopefully your outerwear will too).

• whats wrong with some black nikes?

it could be worse.

now on the other hand, judging another man's clothes on a record forum seems mad

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I kinda feel bad about saying this out loud, but hey you posted it in a public forum: you have HORRIBLE taste in clothing and shoes. If I were you, I would lurk around the clothing and shoe equivalents of soulstrut and get your ebay weight up in those areas (it seems that your record collection has benefitted, hopefully your outerwear will too).

• God no.

Try these:

or these:

or even these:

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    how comon is that Massada LP? I like it a lot, but how common are their records in the Netherlands?...just curious....what other heat does Massada have?

Their 'Pukul Tifa LP' is even more common: it features the really nice percussion track 'Tjakalele!', with an amazing deep bass drum. Does anyone know what kinda drum produces such a deep sound? Is it that huge japanese drum?

I also like the outro of 'Unknown Destination', a good groove that lasts for almost 3 minutes.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Read.

Read.