The Wire Season 5 SPOILER Thread

Comments

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    ....i got a question(NO SPOILER)...earlier in the season there was a folder circulating which contained dirt on daniels...anybody know what daniels did that got himself dirty???

Alluded to in previous seasons. Rawls knew about it and it came into play when he was rising through the ranks. Somebody remembers more details I'm sure.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    ....i got a question(NO SPOILER)...earlier in the season there was a folder circulating which contained dirt on daniels...anybody know what daniels did that got himself dirty???

Alluded to in previous seasons. Rawls knew about it and it came into play when he was rising through the ranks. Somebody remembers more details I'm sure.

Suspicions of something having to do with his detail on a narcotics unit, and something about financial records. One can draw conclusions from there.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    so my wife and i just finished watching the finale(its leaked for those who aint got it yet)

link to .torrent?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    so my wife and i just finished watching the finale(its leaked for those who aint got it yet)and we were dissappointed. not necessarily a bad episode but a bunch of sad conclusions...then again this is the wire and its nuff depressing so...

Daniels was investigated by the DEA for unexplained income. This came up in season 2, and resurfaced this season.

Knowing there's a leaked finale, I'm checking out of this thread now. See you guys on Sunday.

• so my wife and i just finished watching the finale(its leaked for those who aint got it yet)

link to .torrent?

these links have been getting raped since this afternoon so i dont know if they still live...2 rar files...700mb avi file...1hour 41 minutes

part.1
    Code:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CW7CM42G

part.2
    Code:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=05XAJ9VD

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    Yeah, I know.
    This is a useless link too...
    Definitely not anything having to do with the last episode of the wire.

http://files.filefront.com/VTS+01+1avi/;9755938;/fileinfo.html

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

And, ironically, everyone keeps coming back to the point that Ed Simon's apparent obsession with his personal grievances is what undid 4 glorious years of consummate television with this kinda tepid series..

This is a great point. I hope that the season careening dangerously out of control will be its saving grace.

I'm sort of glad that we're getting more "television" and less "docudrama" about the failed American city. The press I've read that speak of "riveting characters that force you to care" e.g. poor children with lost opportunities or (shock) drug dealers that aren't uniformly evil... kind of grosses me out. Where else can it go? Really. I end up in conversations at parties or dinner or whatever where inevitably someone will be all, "... and I've started watching The Wire, and oh. my. god, it's just so AWFUL!" As if this schitt wasn't there before Simon turned his lens to it. I can understand why some look at it as a post-millennial "CNN for the streets" but I'm not sure that's what it set out to be, or what it should be. I don't think Simon's ignorant of that dynamic.

well, to be fair, the characters in the wire ARE riveting. and the show compels you to care not only about them, but about the city as well. i don't think that's because they're victims of their environment - it's because it is an excellent, meticulous, well-crafted show. a dealer not being uniformly evil, or on the other side, a cop not being wholly good, isn't a cheap tactic to garner sympathy and engage viewers. its just building dimensional characters that viewers care about.

it seems like you're faulting the show for portraying so well a corner of the world that the media hardly ever focuses on... and now that that portrayal isn't so crisp, that's a good thing?

I always thought with The Newsroom that Simon was wrapping the series, the viewers, the cast, the plots, the critics, and the writers all into itself. Not so much *just* exorcising his demons about The Sun but blurring the lines so much to where you're not sure exactly where it stops being his critique of his old employer, starts being his critique of the city, works into the plot, is some meta-critique of the show itself, etc. Throughout there has been, IMO, a feeling that we're all losing control - even the viewer, who (as we've seen in this thread) often feels like they've lost what could otherwise be a great season. I like that, because I think it's intentional.

i said a few eps into this season that there's a focus on the characters losing control - from the police to the media to the mayor's office. but i think its a large leap, and definitely would be an offensive suggestion to simon, that along with his characters, he intentionally wanted to make his viewers lose control - and he did so by compromising the quality of the season.

i also think odub brought up a good point a little bit ago. the major plot points that took place in seasons past seemed to have a firm connection to everything else. stringer's murder and avon's conviction was the culmination of several seasons of built up tension and character development, not just between those two, but with every other character in their circles and also characters on their periphery like major colvin. i think bodi's bucking from marlo, randy's gradual collapse, and a lot of other storylines felt more embedded in city's/show's whole narrative.
    all of the plots this season, by contrast, feel less connected. marlo & gang suddenly think mike's a snitch so they try to off him. bubbles' has a very loose connection to the media arc, but the relationship between him and the reporter is pointless. lester is all of the sudden on levy's scent through shaking down clay. this would be huge if it were given enough time to develop properly but right now i have to admit i barely care.

• SEASON 5 VINDICATED

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    SEASON 5 VINDICATED
    a few parts that i don't want to spoil yet i was kinda ehhhhhhh about but overall yeah

• 40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
    Yeah, I know.
    This is a useless link too...
    Definitely not anything having to do with the last episode of the wire.

http://files.filefront.com/VTS+01+1avi/;9755938;/fileinfo.html

So much for the screening later today....

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I caved.

I had a rough night and this took my mind off things.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

And, ironically, everyone keeps coming back to the point that Ed Simon's apparent obsession with his personal grievances is what undid 4 glorious years of consummate television with this kinda tepid series..

This is a great point. I hope that the season careening dangerously out of control will be its saving grace.

I'm sort of glad that we're getting more "television" and less "docudrama" about the failed American city. The press I've read that speak of "riveting characters that force you to care" e.g. poor children with lost opportunities or (shock) drug dealers that aren't uniformly evil... kind of grosses me out. Where else can it go? Really. I end up in conversations at parties or dinner or whatever where inevitably someone will be all, "... and I've started watching The Wire, and oh. my. god, it's just so AWFUL!" As if this schitt wasn't there before Simon turned his lens to it. I can understand why some look at it as a post-millennial "CNN for the streets" but I'm not sure that's what it set out to be, or what it should be. I don't think Simon's ignorant of that dynamic.

well, to be fair, the characters in the wire ARE riveting. and the show compels you to care not only about them, but about the city as well. i don't think that's because they're victims of their environment - it's because it is an excellent, meticulous, well-crafted show. a dealer not being uniformly evil, or on the other side, a cop not being wholly good, isn't a cheap tactic to garner sympathy and engage viewers. its just building dimensional characters that viewers care about.

it seems like you're faulting the show for portraying so well a corner of the world that the media hardly ever focuses on... and now that that portrayal isn't so crisp, that's a good thing?

No, I'm just saying I think it's somewhat intentional that the characters are acting out of their predictable bags. Life is not predictable - television is.

I always thought with The Newsroom that Simon was wrapping the series, the viewers, the cast, the plots, the critics, and the writers all into itself. Not so much *just* exorcising his demons about The Sun but blurring the lines so much to where you're not sure exactly where it stops being his critique of his old employer, starts being his critique of the city, works into the plot, is some meta-critique of the show itself, etc. Throughout there has been, IMO, a feeling that we're all losing control - even the viewer, who (as we've seen in this thread) often feels like they've lost what could otherwise be a great season. I like that, because I think it's intentional.

i said a few eps into this season that there's a focus on the characters losing control - from the police to the media to the mayor's office. but i think its a large leap, and definitely would be an offensive suggestion to simon, that along with his characters, he intentionally wanted to make his viewers lose control - and he did so by compromising the quality of the season.

i also think odub brought up a good point a little bit ago. the major plot points that took place in seasons past seemed to have a firm connection to everything else. stringer's murder and avon's conviction was the culmination of several seasons of built up tension and character development, not just between those two, but with every other character in their circles and also characters on their periphery like major colvin. i think bodi's bucking from marlo, randy's gradual collapse, and a lot of other storylines felt more embedded in city's/show's whole narrative.
    all of the plots this season, by contrast, feel less connected.

Actually, Simon said exactly that. The lack of connection is his idea of exploring the newspaper, which is and as a result of that, the viewer sees less of what really is goings on.

What did he say above? "I'm the master of meta" or some schitt.

But seriously - it's not a stretch for the crew to consider Michael a snitch. At all! They killed Bodie behind the exact same shit!

Bubbles' relationship to the reporter is pointless? I guess if you don't see the point in showing what a reporter should be doing besides making up stories.

If you barely care, and I'm not going to argue that you should. But Simon clearly thought that this was the way to bookend his own series. If the argument is "Simon took this way too far outside of itself, and lost the viewer" well I sort of agree. If it's "the writers suddenly fell off and the show is boring and nothing makes sense" or worse yet "i just don't care about the newspaper writers because they're not as multi-dimensional as KENARD" or some shit I mean come on.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I see ZERO motive for Kima's snitchery .

Is being ass-hurt considered a motive ? The other detectives are closing cases or involved in the Marlo bust....Kima hasn't solved any of her murders yet ......Bunk wasn't with Mcnulty's shit either but he used it to his advantage.

I thought Kima's conversation with Carver summed up her motive pretty well, actually.

I don't see it. She gets some urge to "do the right thing"? A plausible urge, sure, but one that would likely have been tempered by "not wanting to ruin the careers of nearly every one of your close colleagues."

Bottom line she would never have done this had the season not bee ending and had they not needed a catalyst to bring down this phony case. Not saying the BS case would never have crumbled (it was doomed from the outset), but I will never buy this Kima thing, at least not without more development of her conscience over the course of more episodes.

She sang "good night moon" and had a change of heart while staring into the child's eyes. Deal with it! hahaha...

She sang "good night moon" and had a change of heart while staring into the child's eyes. Deal with it! hahaha...

seriously. I mean, you laugh, but that's effectively how they tried to "sell" her change of heart to us (that and the admittedly weighty scene of her questioning the juvenile home invasion witness).

how her newfound ternderness vis-a-vis her child translates into ratting out her whole former detail I have no idea. (I mean Freamon? c'mon, Kima; schitt is cold).

Well for what it's worth I never thought it was as much of a stretch as you did. I don't think they needed 3 extra episodes to flesh that one out. NOBODY except McNutty and Freamon would ride for it, and those are the two loosest cannons in the show (on the cop side, at least).

Anyway it's taking way more willpower than I possess to resist downloading the finale so I think I have to bow out of this thread until Sunday night.

Anyway it's taking way more willpower than I possess to resist downloading the finale so I think I have to bow out of this thread until Sunday night.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

So, can we talk about the final episode now?

• Anyway it's taking way more willpower than I possess to resist downloading the finale so I think I have to bow out of this thread until Sunday night.

So, can we talk about the final episode now?

might be time to start a new thread for that one?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Simon is going to be interviewed tomorrow on NPR's Fresh Air program. If you miss it you can download a version off their webiste around 12 noon tomorrow.

Simon is going to be interviewed tomorrow on NPR's Fresh Air program. If you miss it you can download a version off their webiste around 12 noon tomorrow.

Or you can subscribe to the podcast. Also today's show features Richard Price, mostly pimping his new book but probably talking about the Wire as well.

More Wire media in the final week hype-a-thon, the Center for Emerging Media is running a podcast interview series this week as well, so far they've had Ed Burns, David Simon and Robert Chew, here's a link where you can get to those podcasts:

http://wordpress.com/tag/marc-steiner/

or if you prefer, here's the rss feed to subscribe (copy and paste under "Advanced" "Subscribe to Podcast" in iTunes or wherever in your favorite podcatcher):

http://www.switchpod.com/users/cem/feed.xml

I forgot where I read this, but one critic pointed out that the Wire has probably the highest ratio of column inches to viewers of any tv show ever. I wouldn't disagree about this.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

By entering, you allow Philly.com to use your name and address for mailing-list purposes, and winners grant Philly.com the right to use their names and/or likenesses for promotional purposes without further compensation.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    hahahaaaaaaaaaa
    for real. i saw that same shit and passed.
    still, i like the idea of city hall screening the wire with bunk moreland hangin around smoking cigars and asking people if he smells like pussy

Wire fans should hear this interview, it's really good. They didn't go over old news, they basically focused on the finale of the season. I thought the best part was when Terry Gross read some of Simon's articles from when he worked for the Sun. They guy was trying to get across some of the themes of the wire all the way back then.

Here's the link to the interview. Other highlights, going over how they decided to off some character like Omar and Prop Joe.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=87940925

Wire fans should hear this interview, it's really good. They didn't go over old news, they basically focused on the finale of the season. I thought the best part was when Terry Gross read some of Simon's articles from when he worked for the Sun. They guy was trying to get across some of the themes of the wire all the way back then.

I haven't heard the whole thing but what I heard was indeed really good. Sometimes when Terry Gross does a fangirl interview it can be painful, but I this one wasn't.

• Soulstrut thraed crossover -

from http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/

"#85 The Wire
    March 9, 2008 by clander

Though white people have a natural aversion to television, there are some exceptions. For white people to like a TV show it helps if it is: critically acclaimed, low-rated, shown on premium cable, and available as a DVD box set.

The latter is important so that white people can order it from Netflix and tell their friends ???they are really into and I watched ten episodes in a row in the weekend. I???m almost caught up.???

If you attempt to talk about an episode they have not seen yet, they will scream and cover their ears. In white culture, giving away information about a film or TV series is considered as rude as spitting on your mothers grave. It is an unforgivable offense.

Recent series that have fallen into this category include The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, and most recently The Wire.

For the past three years, whenever you say ???The Wire??? white people are required to respond by saying ???it???s the best show on television.??? Try it the next time you see a white person! Though now they might say ???it WAS the best show on television.???

So why do they love it so much? It all comes down to authenticity. A long time ago, someone started a rumor that when The Wire is on TV, actual police wires go quiet because all the dealers are watching the show. Though this is not true, it seems plausible enough to white people and has imbued the show with the needed authenticity to be deemed acceptable.

The popularity of this show among white people has create a unique opportunity for personal gain.

If you need to impress a white person, tell them you are from Baltimore. They will immediately ask you about The Wire and how accurate it is. You should confirm that it is ???like a documentary of the streets,??? the white person will then slowly shake their head and say ???man??? or ???wow.??? You will be seen in an entirely new light.

If you are not from Baltimore but the white person you are talking to is, they might start asking you a lot of questions. In this situation, you should just say you left when you were young but you still have a lot of cousins there but you don???t like to go back to visit. This will remove all doubts and they can go back to telling you about how John from Accounting needs to ???stop snitching??? about their two hour lunch breaks.

Note: Tonight (Sunday March 9, 2008) is the series finale. It would be considered proper etiquette to ask a white person about the show on Monday."

MCF