Where the F*%k is the 2014 NBA Thread?!?!!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    yuichi said:
    Like I said, dude is nice. His kicks are too narrow for my feet though!

Yeah, my Easter joints hurt my feets on the first day and had to re-lace them.

San Diego looked hungry. San Antonio looked a little off, but I dont expect that to last.
    Crawford wasnt "fools gold" last night. Benchplay was significant.

GSW didnt keep their boot on the Pelicans neck. Young teams let opponents come back in.
    That 3rd quarter Pelican comeback" is an "illusion". I dont see that happening again.

Houston dont look like fakers to me. They never let Dallas in.

Fuck the Cavs.

Didnt watch ATL/BrkLyn.

A "healthy" Derrick Rose changes the East's equation. Its no longer a two team race.

Portland headed into the Playoffs a different team than the pre-All-Star break.
    Memphis looks pretty oiled.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Next year will be a different story with the crack down on HGH.
    There will be fewer old players performing like young players.

LaserWolf said:
    Next year will be a different story with the crack down on HGH.
    There will be fewer old players performing like young players.

Dwayne Wade

Is Aldridge outta there in the off-season?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    despite all the talk about Kyrie today I didn't find the Cavs' performance convincing at all.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    JonnyPaycheck said:
    despite all the talk about Kyrie today I didn't find the Cavs' performance convincing at all.

Hey Jonny,

I agree, and I still have my doubts about the Cavs given their lack of playoff experience (Love especially is MIA right now). Maybe LeBron can get them into the 'playoff mindset' to bring intensity to each game. As Yuichi noted, Blake Griffin played like 'Batman' last night, though I think the Spurs were off. I think last night's Clippers attack is the approach to take against SAS. Yesterday's games weren't that compelling, but then again, it's only Round 1.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

batmon said:
    Is Aldridge outta there in the off-season?

We like to think that players love Portland, the fans, and the team so much that they would never leave.

I was reading that lots of money is about to pour into the league and salary caps (and salaries) will go way up.
    Players signing contracts this year are expected to sign short term contracts and negotiate a better deal in a year or 2 when there is more money.

Last night Aldridge looked like the only Blazer who knew it was a playoff game.
    (Crabbe looked good in garbage time.)

Love had a double double. Were his numbers an illusion or were they impactful?

thems ain't max contract numbers tho

He is the Chris Bosh of that trio, so I dont see 20 and 10 w/ LeBron & Kyrie dominating the ball.
    Bosh maxed out at 18/8 during the Miami Trio years making 14, 16, 17 mil.
    Love is gettin 16mil.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    MattB,
    I was making a joke.
    Last night they repeatedly forced turnovers and turned them into fast break points.
    They destroyed my Trailblazers.

Some people have on occasion criticized other Western C teams for having fast paced offensives while holding up the Grizz as examples of good half court play with an emphasis on inside play.

Nothing is less funny than explaining a joke.
    Nothing is less funny than a joke that needs to be explained.

Clear!

batmon said:
    He is the Chris Bosh of that trio, so I dont see 20 and 10 w/ LeBron & Kyrie dominating the ball.
    Love is gettin 16mil.

I don't know if the original comment was directed at me, but did you see Love's contribution as affecting the outcome? I just thought the team looked a mess, Kyrie made some great shots and Lebron was kind of hovering, occasionally being Lebron and then other times trying to be the distributor... I dunno man I was a lil shook of them initially but I don't even know if they make it out of the east. Atlanta looked hotter by comparison.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Batmon

Houston only look good because they're playing Dallas. The Mavs had a horrible record against winning teams this year. They're also all offense and no defense. Dirk is starting to show his age as well. All together that equals a quick exist from the playoffs.

JonnyPaycheck said:
    batmon said:
    Love is gettin 16mil.

I don't know if the original comment was directed at me, but did you see Love's contribution as affecting the outcome? I just thought the team looked a mess, Kyrie made some great shots and Lebron was kind of hovering, occasionally being Lebron and then other times trying to be the distributor... I dunno man I was a lil shook of them initially but I don't even know if they make it out of the east. Atlanta looked hotter by comparison.

That was my original question, since i didnt watch the game.
    I guess his double double was just filler vs immediate impact, which is what ive been sayin about this dude for a long minute.
    The stat sheet will look good, yet he couldnt lead his team to the Playoffs. And now within a better team dude is still a hologram.

motown67 said:
    Batmon

Houston only look good because they're playing Dallas. The Mavs had a horrible record against winning teams this year. They're also all offense and no defense. Dirk is starting to show his age as well. All together that equals a quick exist from the playoffs.

True....

......but it did seem that there was contributions from the team beside Harden hoggin the ball, which is what folks have been highlighting as their Playoff Kryptonite. Corey Brewer was doin it.

But yeah its against Dallas so im not overhyping shit.

Does Davis have a Post Game?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    batmon said:

Hey Batmon,

Yes, he does. NO needs to feed the brow more consistently. Asik has been utterly useless, deer in the headlights steez.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    batmon said:

He's no Hakeem or Shaq, but he's decent. His shooting touch is good, so he really should develop this area more.

Pivot, jump hook. Nobody can touch him...

JonnyPaycheck said:
    thems ain't max contract numbers tho

Hard to put the blame on Love (as they did with Bosh) for "underperforming" relative to prior team numbers. He had so many easy buckets inside the paint in Minnesota. As a few others have pointed out, he doesn't get nearly as many touches in his sweet spots.

yuichi said:
    batmon said:

He's no Hakeem or Shaq, but he's decent. His shooting touch is good, so he really should develop this area more.

Sayin. Give him the damn ball on the low block sometimes.

batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:

Dwight Howard with all his athletic ability and frame, never was able to get good post position or demand it.

Obviously, Shaq and Duncan are some of the best ever to do this. The Brow is long as fuck, but that would be my concern; that he wouldn't be able to consistently get deep post position. But then again, maybe you don't need that as much in today's game. Big's a lot more mobile and have to adapt to guard-heavy play.

I really did like Roy Hibbert's game for a second. True throwback. with a great shooting touch.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:

They run some decent action to get him the ball in the paint, at least. They've run a play in which he basically receives the pass from the wing as he dives from the elbow to the low block a few times against the Warriors, and it works pretty well. Which is probably a smart way to do it--seems like he's more dangerous on the move than he is just planted on the block with his back to the basket.

DJ_Enki said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:

They run some decent action to get him the ball in the paint, at least. They've run a play in which he basically receives the pass from the wing as he dives from the elbow to the low block a few times against the Warriors, and it works pretty well. Which is probably a smart way to do it--seems like he's more dangerous on the move than he is just planted on the block with his back to the basket.

Translation: No Low Post Game.

From what ive seen he's a PF playing Center w/ a Small Forwards game.

The whole "guard-play" shit is for the birds.
    You can still be versatile and dedicate a third of your touches to either attacking from the Low block w/ his jumper or penetration, or kick it backout for a a reset or a slashing teammate. He doesnt have to be Hakeem.
    He's going up against little dudes and is attacking like a little dude. Back those midgets in.

LeBron and Dirk both got rings when the incorporated that shit into their repertoire.

This whole big man play like a guard shit is outta hand. Get your big ass in there and get some easy buckets.
    Dude was attacking from the high post most of the time. Shooting contested jumpers and shit.

GSW are little. Only Bogut is a "threat". Davis can outspeed his slow ass. After that no one should be fucking w/ him even if he isnt a heavy cat. He needs some Shawn Kemp videos. That face up game needs to be complimented w/ some inside footwork.
    The best big man on the floor shouldnt be playing below himself ALL the fuckin' time. Green is tuff dude, but....Gorilla these little bitches.

batmon said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:

Translation: No Low Post Game.
    From what ive seen he's a PF playing Center w/ a Small Forwards game.
    The whole "guard-play" shit is for the birds.
    You cam still be versatile and dedicate a third of your touches to either attacking from the Low block w/ his jumper or penetration, or kick it backout for a a reset or a slashing teammate. He doesnt have to be Hakeem. He's going up against little dudes and is attacking like a little dude. Back those midgets in.
    LeBron and Dirk both got rings when the incorporated that shit into their repertoire.
    This whole big ben play like a guard shit is outta hand. Get your big ass in there and get some easy buckets.
    Dude was attacking from the high post most of the time. Shooting contested jumpers and shit.
    GSW are little. Only Bogut is a "threat". Davis can outspeed his slow ass. After that no one should be fucking w/ him even if he isnt a heavy cat. He needs some Shawn Kemp videos. That face up game needs to be complimented w/ some inside footwork.
    The best big man on the floor should be playing below himself ALL the fuckin' time. Gorilla these little bitches.

Preach, Batmon, preach!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I completely agree with Batmon re: Davis. It has been crazy frustrating watching him shoot fifteen foot jumpers with the occasional lob all season, and Asik is slow as a slug and often gets blocked putting up his slow ass shot in the post so we basically have no post game.

We had several opportunites last night to steal one, but goddammit that GSW defense was a mother.

yuichi said:
    let's not forget, JOSH SMITH.

Smith had seven assists in the fourth quarter and Howard had 11 points. The Rockets made 12 of 19 shots from the floor while the Mavs made just six of 20.

OKC ELITE!!!

batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    let's not forget, JOSH SMITH.

Smith had seven assists in the fourth quarter and Howard had 11 points. The Rockets made 12 of 19 shots from the floor while the Mavs made just six of 20.

OKC ELITE!!!

OKC was an elite team. It'll be a matter of time before either Westbrook and/or Durant will want out.

Josh Smith, eh.

Who has underwhelmed you so far?

Blazers

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Toronto with Mavs second