Where the F*%k is the 2014 NBA Thread?!?!!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Let Harrison Barnes Post up

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

You can make a case for either Curry or Harden winning the MVP. [strong]Also, there is no question that Golden State has put together a historic season for the franchise. Yet, as discussed on "Inside the NBA" last night, I wonder how well their style play translates to the playoffs. I would qualify this notion by saying I think the concern is more relevant for the later rounds of the playoffs. As the game slows down (and it probably will with better defensive teams), can they win potential grind-and-pound battles? [/strong] I have no idea, but it will be interesting to see if they have the character to match their talent. If so, they have a real chance to win the chip. I have hedged in coronating GSW as the champs having seen assumedly 'shoe-in' teams fall unexpectedly at playoff time (e.g., 1994 Sonics, 2013 Pacers, 1999 Heat, 2007 Mavericks, etc.). Oh well, all questions will be answered soon as the '2nd season' is just over the horizon. I can't wait!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    JonnyPaycheck said:
    I only caught the first half but the Warriors looked pretty flat footed on defense. At the same time the same question that holds for Golden State - can their allstar guards carry them against adversity - holds for the Hawks: who on that team can turn it on and put the team on their back? I feel like a chip-caliber squad needs a combo of good teamwork and also one or two guys that can take over a game.

Hey Jonny,

Your statements sum up the essence of my commentary of all of the 'young' contending teams that folks are trying to coronate as championship material right now. [strong]I've not been questioning their talent, but their psyches concerning playing during the stress of the playoffs. Can they execute effectively at both ends against the top teams when it counts? Again, history has shown that it takes a few years for young teams to learn how to play effectively during the playoffs and get to the finals. I have the view that people are labeling them as contenders a little too soon.[/strong] Time will tell, of course.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey Yuichi,

Did you notice how much trouble GSW had with OKC taking the ball inside and defending on the perimeter? [strong]That game provided a little evidence of why I have misgivings about GSW. They really have bad offensive possessions sometimes (hell, OKC does too), and they don't defend that well in the paint. Jumpers don't fall as well in game 5 of the playoffs when you're down 3-1 (for instance). I'm really looking ahead to playoff time in my comments about GSW and a lot of other teams that like to play a lot on the perimeter (e.g., Houston, Toronto, OKC, Portland, etc.). Again, if GSW shore up the above issues, then they will be serious contenders for the chip.[/strong]

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Don't write off GSW yet.

Big_Stacks said:
    Back those midgets in.

Fuck Small Ball

batmon said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Back those midgets in.

Fuck Small Ball

:hard_as_fuck: :real_headz: It's all about guard play now, isn't it? Big man play is out of style. Champions are made by taking low percentage shots at the 3-point line!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

LaserWolf said:
    Don't write off GSW yet.

Hey LaserWolf,

It depends on whether they can weather the storm psychologically and win Game 4. If so, then they might have a shot. If not, then they're toast.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

LaserWolf said:
    Don't write off GSW yet.

It depends on whether they can weather the storm [strong]psychologically[/strong] and win Game 4. If so, then they might have a shot. If not, then they're toast.

They've never experienced true adversity. Memphis just has their Kryptonite so far.

I hope Kerr comes up w/ an alternative, cause their body language last night was all types of fucked up.

Can u really place your money on them winning three in a row after what was done last night?

I dont know if dudes were tired or mentally beat, but missing free throws and air balls was out of character.
    Dude still shooting contested threes in the fourth??? That's your ONLY counter?
    Memphis is not going to play their run-n-gun small ball style. Can they beat Memphis at Memphis' game???

Niggas got their lunch money taken.

LaserWolf said:
    Don't write off GSW yet.

It depends on whether they can weather the storm [strong]psychologically[/strong] and win Game 4. If so, then they might have a shot. If not, then they're toast.

They've never experienced true adversity. Memphis just has their Kryptonite so far.

I hope Kerr comes up w/ an alternative, cause their body language last night was all types of fucked up.

Can u really place your money on them winning three in a row after what was done last night?

I dont know if dudes were tired or mentally beat, but missing free throws and air balls was out of character.
    Dude still shooting contested threes in the fourth??? That's your ONLY counter?
    Memphis is not going to play their run-n-gun small ball style. Can they beat Memphis at Memphis' game???

Niggas got their lunch money taken.

Hey Batmon,

Your statement sums up why I said young teams have to [strong]LEARN[/strong] how to win titles. They executed hella young down the stretch and blew their chance to win. I saw this shit coming months ago while the dickriding was in full tilt. I was called a hater, an old man, had my analyses and basketball knowledge called into question, etc., etc. Then again, I've only seen about 40 years worth of NBA basketball. I'll say yet again, experience (and style of play) matters! Chucking 3-pointers in a tight game is not a championship style of play! As you said, Kerr has to make some serious adjustments and, more importantly, bolster their confidence. They don't look like they believe right now.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

LaserWolf said:
    Why so quiet here?

:lush:

batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Why so quiet here?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Why so quiet here?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Dang, I don't post for 12 hours and you all think I have gone run and hid.
    Go ahead write off GSW like you did Cleveland.

Want to talk about adversity?
    Chi-Clv today was horrible officiating, repeatedly favoring the home team.
    Clv stepped up and out scored Chi rendering all the bad calls moot.

I've always said, anything can happen in the playoffs.
    I certainly wasn't expecting Baltimore to step up the way they have.

BTW: What happened to SAS? I thought they were gonna win it all.

LaserWolf said:
    Dang, I don't post for 12 hours and you all think I have gone run and hid.
    Go ahead write off GSW like you did Cleveland.

Want to talk about adversity?
    Chi-Clv today was horrible officiating, repeatedly favoring the home team.
    Clv stepped up and out scored Chi rendering all the bad calls moot.

I've always said, anything can happen in the playoffs.
    I certainly wasn't expecting Baltimore to step up the way they have.

BTW: What happened to SAS? I thought they were gonna win it all.

Hey LaserWolf,

My query was not about you since you responded earlier. The most vocal of agitators is eerily absent from today's discussion. Concerning SAS, Blake Griffin finally played aggressively and stopped settling for jumpers. I tipped my hat to him and the Clippers a page ago. About the Wizards, I communicated my skepticism about the Hawks (i.e., too much jump shooting) all season long. So, I'm not surprised by the trouble they're experiencing this round. The Bulls aren't the same without Pau's post presence. Without him, they lose plain and simple. Great finish today, LeBron was LeBron, no surprise. If the Bulls don't get over the hump, then Tom Thibodeaux will be fired.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

LaserWolf said:
    Chicago wins again.
    Cavs fail to impress.

Who wrote off the Cavs???

LaserWolf said:
    Chicago wins again.
    Cavs fail to impress.

Who wrote off the Cavs??

And please find the quote where SAS will win it all?

batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Chicago wins again.
    Cavs fail to impress.

Who wrote off the Cavs??

And please find the quote where SAS will win it all?

I know I didn't say that. I said their style of play (along with the Grizz) would give GSW trouble. In fact, I said LAC could beat SAS if Griffin and Paul played aggressively. A full Bulls starting roster does beat the Cavs. Sans Gasol, they do not. They need those points in the paint.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Houston is butt!!! Doc's kid is ballin'!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    it's not about small ball vs big ball, the small line-ups did some real damage last night.

the "adversity" argument is way more accurate, prior 2 games when shots stopped falling and Allen, Randolph and Gasol started bullying the Warriors looked lost and out of the game. good to see them come back with the spanking they needed to administer. I like their chances for game 5 at Oracle, although the series is a tough call tbh. The Grizz are easily our worst match up of the teams still left... the Bulls maybe but we whupped them consistently during the reg season (I know, it don't mean shit).

look, when the warriors are attacking the rim and kicking out and playing aggressive D the tempo changes. even if they give up a couple TOs and fast breaks to Memphis it's still achieving the goal of speeding up the game and when they're in their rhythm they're incredibly tough to beat. When they play iso and quick shot ball, it gives Memphis all the time in the world to slow things down and it frustrates them, you could see that in games 3-4.

Dudes who think it's strictly "3s don't fall in the playoffs" vs. "big man studs" are not watching the games. To see the frustration on the "we're not even playing physical yet" Grizzlies last night after every steal, ball slap, and scrum was a thing of beauty

JonnyPaycheck said:
    it's not about small ball vs big ball, the small line-ups did some real damage last night.

the "adversity" argument is way more accurate, prior 2 games when shots stopped falling and Allen, Randolph and Gasol started bullying the Warriors looked lost and out of the game. good to see them come back with the spanking they needed to administer. I like their chances for game 5 at Oracle, although the series is a tough call tbh. The Grizz are easily our worst match up of the teams still left... the Bulls maybe but we whupped them consistently during the reg season (I know, it don't mean shit).

look, when the warriors are attacking the rim and kicking out and playing aggressive D the tempo changes. even if they give up a couple TOs and fast breaks to Memphis it's still achieving the goal of speeding up the game and when they're in their rhythm they're incredibly tough to beat. When they play iso and quick shot ball, it gives Memphis all the time in the world to slow things down and it frustrates them, you could see that in games 3-4.

Dudes who think it's strictly "3s don't fall in the playoffs" vs. "big man studs" are not watching the games. To see the frustration on the "we're not even playing physical yet" Grizzlies last night after every steal, ball slap, and scrum was a thing of beauty

Hey Jonny,

I gotta give GSW their propers as they played a great game last night. The squad showed great character coming back from consecutive losses. They attacked the basket (instead of settling for 3s), put pressure on the defense, and played great team defense. That GSW style of play will be hard to beat, and I must give it up to Steve Kerr's apt adjustment. Now, it remains to be seen how well Dave Joeger adjusts to Kerr's adjustment. The Grizz can't compete with that tempo of play, and Tony Allen has to hit some shots. If GSW is going to play off of someone to double team, then he is the right guy to choose. He should put the ball on the floor instead of settling for jumpers (which is not his thing). I was appalled by the sloppy ball control the Grizzlies displayed last night. Those turnovers let GSW get into the open floor, which is a no-no if Memphis wants to win the series. I can't wait to Game 5 on Wednesday night!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

What JP said.

JonnyPaycheck said:

David Lee was an obvious adjustment to Memphis lineup.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Allen has problems making lay ups on occasion but his defense is out standing. puts a lot of pressure on the Griz on how to adjust.

Griz need to invest in 1-2 shooters during the summer

motown67 said:
    Griz need to invest in 1-2 shooters during the summer

Yeah..Courtney Lee ain't the answer.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    warriors D really on another level from games 2-3

Ball movement.

Stacks

Do you remember when we discussed the Griz's chances in the playoffs in the middle of the regular season? I said that their downfall has been teams being able to break their defense because they can't score enough to keep up if that happens. Well that's what's happened in the last two games. In Game 2 the Warriors panicked. Game 3 Memphis just imposed their will on GS. Now the Warriors have adjusted and it's not just any team the Griz have to keep up with but the best offensive team in the NBA.