Where the F*%k is the 2014 NBA Thread?!?!!

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    batmon said:
    Atlanta > Brooklyn
    Cleveland > Boston
    Chicago > Milwaukee
    Toronto = Washington - Both teams need to win a fucking round.

Oakland > New Orleans
    Houston > Dallas
    San Antonio > San Diego - LAC cant get past the 2nd round, and wanna prove somethin'.
    Memphis = Portland....cant call it. Who has the most injuries?

Those are the favorites.
    Likely upsets:
    Milwaukee over Boston
    Toronto over DC
    Clippers over Spurs

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    batmon said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Toronto > Washington (Toronto has more offensive weapons than Washington, me thinks; Washington needs use their size).

Paul Pierce is gonna come in handy.

Yep, veteran 'big shot makers' come in handy during the 2nd season. Jamal Crawford is gonna serve in a similar role for the Clippers.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    batmon said:
    Atlanta > Brooklyn
    Cleveland > Boston
    Chicago > Milwaukee
    Toronto = Washington - Both teams need to win a fucking round.

Oakland > New Orleans
    Houston > Dallas
    San Antonio > San Diego - LAC cant get past the 2nd round, and wanna prove somethin'.
    Memphis = Portland....cant call it. Who has the most injuries?

Those are the favorites.
    Likely upsets:
    Milwaukee over Boston
    Toronto over DC
    Clippers over Spurs

Milwaukee is playing Chicago
    Boston is playing Cleveland

Toronto is 4th vs Washington 5th. How is 4 > 5 an upset?

Thanks Batmon, I was a little sloppy there.
    I meant Bucks over Bulls.

You are right, you picked the under dog re: Raptors Bullets.

LaserWolf said:
    Thanks Batmon, I was a little sloppy there.
    I meant Bucks over Bulls.

You are right, you picked the under dog re: Raptors Bullets.

I actually cant call btwn Raptors and Bullets.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The Spurs are the only team from last year's conference finals to make the playoffs.

On a related note, this might be the first time I've ever said this, but J.R. Smith is right: LeBron really is the most valuable player. Teams immediately improve immensely when he joins them, and they immediately turn to shit when he leaves.

That said, Harden's gonna win it, though Curry > Harden.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    batmon said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Toronto > Washington (Toronto has more offensive weapons than Washington, me thinks; Washington needs use their size).

Yep, veteran 'big shot makers' come in handy during the 2nd season. Jamal Crawford is gonna serve in a similar role for the Clippers.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Jamal Crawford is fool's gold.

That and the fact that J.J. Reddick is one of the highest volume shooters on that squad says something.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    yuichi said:
    I've heard others giving Crawford a hard time but I've never been sure why. I've often thought he was just shy of making an all-star game.

I'm going Clippers over SAS.

Can someone calculate experience/maturity for all 16 teams?
    I assume SAS and Cavs are 1,2.
    After that I have no idea.

mattB said:
    yuichi said:
    I've heard others giving Crawford a hard time but I've never been sure why. I've often thought he was just shy of making an all-star game.

AI, DNA. plays hard. takes a lot of shots. Long rebounds, easy transition buckets for the opposition.

That and his defense sucks. J.J. Redick is a defensive liability as well.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Raps just fucked up and lost homecourt advantage. Plus on an in bounds in overtime they let a layup happen?!?!?!

motown67 said:
    Raps just fucked up and lost homecourt advantage. Plus on an in bounds in overtime they let a layup happen?!?!?!

How does that home court shit work?

Like the name "Jurassic Park" but they better get focused quick. Washington is a tough team.

yuichi said:

:walk_away_son:

batmon said:
    yuichi said:

:walk_away_son:

"During the course of these playoff series, however, sports announcers or columnists will sometimes mention a team "gaining" or "losing" home-field advantage. This can happen after a visiting team has just won a game in the series. In playoff series format, the home-field advantage is said to exist for whichever team would win the series if all remaining games in the series are won by the home team for that game. Therefore, it is possible for a visiting team to win a game and, hence, gain home-field advantage. This is somewhat similar to the concept of losing serve in tennis."

I hear announcers using that phrase sometimes but technically speaking, it doesn't really make much sense.

Possible solution: Get best record in the league. [strong] Secure home-court advantage in every round.[/strong] Play consistent defense we saw at beginning of the season. Pretty sure Steve Kerr is well aware of these two big factors.

???

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Ass kicking going on in Oakland

motown67 said:

shit is a joke...str8 spankin

Gotta learn how to kill.

Possible solution: Get best record in the league. [strong] Secure home-court advantage in every round.[/strong] Play consistent defense we saw at beginning of the season. Pretty sure Steve Kerr is well aware of these two big factors.

???

As in best record in the league, dun.

The context Motown and announcers ave used it are in a more loose way. I'm assuming as in the remaining six games will be split between home/road. Thus "losing" any advantage they initially had in the seven game series.

Clearly, Kerr is focusing their efforts to drive to the rim.

• batmon said:
    motown67 said:

shit is a joke...str8 spankin
    What's the joke? That went exactly as expected, all momentum and hype towards the 1 seed, young Pelicans nervous and overwhelmed, yet they still managed to bring the lead down to single digits in the fourth.
    Is the top seeded team better than the eighth? Well sure. I expect a much better outing by the Pels next game though, we were at something like 40% shooting and that was more a result of nerves than defense.

Whatever, my team was completely written off a week ago, and after a STR8 SPANKIN of SAS, here we are.
    I'm stoked no matter what happens, but I've watched 75 Pelicans games and I still think we are gonna suprize some folks after settling down from the first game.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    batmon said:
    Big_Stacks said:

Yep, veteran 'big shot makers' come in handy during the 2nd season.
    Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Paul Pierce was clutch as usual!!! No surprises really on the first day of the playoffs, the higher seeds won as expected (other than Toronto). Today's games should prove really interesting. I'm especially interested in how LAC deals with the SAS half-court attack. The remaining games I expect to go to the top-seeded teams (Cleveland, Atlanta, and Memphis, the latter due to Portland's injury woes). I was looking forward to the Grizzlies-Blazers series, but the injuries have taken the intrigue out of it.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I'm especially interested in how LAC deals with the SAS half-court attack.

I think most teams in the West are hoping LAC somehow takes care of them....

yuichi said:

Hey Yuichi,

Interestingly enough, I totally agree with Isiah Thomas' and Rick Fox's thoughts (via NBA Gametime) on Chris Paul in that series. He has to play a stronger role for the Clippers to move past SAS. He's really talented, but sometimes, he doesn't exhibit the will to take over the game at crucial moments. He has to truly lead the team for them to make any major noise in the playoffs. Unless, Blake Griffin puts on his 'Batman' cape and plays like a playoffs superstud and he gets the proper support from his 'others.' In other news, Kyrie Irving really looked like a playoff stud in the making (so did Anthony Davis once he shook off the jitters). They had some impressive first time performances as playoffs novices. It's too bad that Davis' performance this year will be confined to a single round. That kid can play!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Big_Stacks said:
    yuichi said:

Hey Yuichi,

Interestingly enough, I totally agree with Isiah Thomas' and Rick Fox's thoughts (via NBA Gametime) on Chris Paul in that series. He has to play a stronger role for the Clippers to move past SAS. He's really talented, but sometimes, he doesn't exhibit the will to take over the game at crucial moments. He has to truly lead the team for them to make any major noise in the playoffs. Unless, Blake Griffin puts on his 'Batman' cape and plays like a playoffs superstud and he gets the proper support from his 'others.' In other news, Kyrie Irving really looked like a playoff stud in the making (so did Anthony Davis once he shook off the jitters). They had some impressive first time performances as playoffs novices. It's too bad that Davis' performance this year will be confined to a single round. That kid can play!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I've watched enough of the Clippers to say, they are a complete crap shoot when it comes to winning big games.

Chris Paul is not a Rondo or Steve Nash. He is basically a shorter version of Kobe Bryant. He doesn't have the blow-by quickness of today's best guards. There was a stretch of games where he COMPLETELY TOOK OVER the final minutes of games on some hero ball shit (ala Kobe Byrant) but that was his best to date.

Also, there was a stretch of games LAST year, where Blake was absolutely murdering. I mean second-coming of Karl Malone shit. I was really impressed. Clippers looked legit for a minute. Don't know what happened to that formula......Now they're relying on 24footers by J.J. Reddick and Jamal Crawford to bail 'em out.

Also, Matt Barnes can get all the open threes he wants, but dude has proven to be very inconsistent with that shot.

Kyrie Irving really looked like a playoff stud in the making

Like I said, dude is nice. His kicks are too narrow for my feet though!

so did Anthony DavisThat kid can play!!!

Don't think we've ever seen a player like him in the league. Handles like a PG (cuz he used to be one) and can block James Harden with ease...sign of greatness when you take such a mediocre team to the playoffs! Oh, and he can actually shoot the ball.

Blazers got beat good.

The high flying, fast break, type game that Grizzles play is fun to watch, but I don't think it will take them far in the playoffs.

As a Blazers fan it was hard to watch the officiating. Aldridge get's a T in the opening minutes? Aldridge foul's Zach's Elbow with his chin?

Most teams try to shut Aldridge down, which rarely works.
    The teams that try to shut Lillard down are often successful.
    Like the Griz tonight.

Tim duncan, foul trouble. Blake Griffin BEAST mode.

Clippers full-on helter-skelter stylez.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    The high flying, fast break, type game that Grizzles play is fun to watch, but I don't think it will take them far in the playoffs.
    I didnt watch the game so Im not sure if you're being sarcastic or if I've become completely out of touch with how the Griz play...

MattB,
    I was making a joke.
    Last night they repeatedly forced turnovers and turned them into fast break points.
    They destroyed my Trailblazers.

Some people have on occasion criticized other Western C teams for having fast paced offensives while holding up the Grizz as examples of good half court play with an emphasis on inside play.

Nothing is less funny than explaining a joke.
    Nothing is less funny than a joke that needs to be explained.