Does Anyone NOT Like FLEETWOOD MAC RUMOURS?

2»

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    It's cool to listen to over at a hippy chick's apartment.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Cue the Sid and Nancy clip where Chloe Webb (Nancy) catches a glimpse of herself in a mou-mou type thing, screeches "Ahhhggg I look like Stevie Nicks!" and disrobes immediately.

bassie said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Cue the Sid and Nancy clip where Chloe Webb (Nancy) catches a glimpse of herself in a mou-mou type thing, screeches "Ahhhggg I look like Stevie Nicks!" and disrobes immediately.

Even if I tried, I couldn't get a particular Houston area apartment from the early 90's out of my head, complete with its Holly Hobby-inspired, flower-wielding wannabe, sweet vampire Stevie Nicks devotees sitting on the floor smoking joints as candles and incense burned and fleeting boyfriends circled about drinking beer and plotting plunges. Of course the first rule of Fleet Club being that for every tender Almost Famous blonde there has to be at least one enormous friend of the wicked witch variety wanting to cast a dark cigarette spell if not a lipstick-smudged bearhug.

And yes, we'll be listeing to Pink Floyd later in the night.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    The thing about some of these songs is that they make me nostalgic for a time and place that I've never been to or, at the very least, don't have an actual real memory for but the songs make me FEEL like I've been there.

Strangely enough, that is exactly the way I feel about 1960s sunshine pop...I was probably still in utero when Spanky & Our Gang released "Sunday Will Never Be The Same," yet I feel like I could have Been There When It Happened...

DELETE THE REPEAT

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    mylatency said:
    Netflix just added a slew of "classic albums" making of exposes on albums. Watching the "Rumours" one right now and made me think of this thread

I was real close to buying a couple of these. Glad Netflix finally stepped up and put some quality ish on the streaming side. Just added this, Steely Dan, Black Sabbath, Queen etc. Gonna keep me busy for a while.

Also

I went through a heavy 70's/80's soft rock thing the last couple of months and I ride for Rumours no question.

This still gets played at a lot of gigs.

• yoigotbeats said:
    It's amazing how top notch the record really is considering their output before & after isn't even close. Can anyone really listen to Tusk?

Rumors is great, but "Then Play On" is where it's at for me:

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Then play on is my favorite. Great album.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Despite being into a lot of soft-batch keebler elf music, I don't really like Rumors.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Can't say I don't like it, but man did I have to listen to it allot growing up. My folks definitely wore out a few copies. Haven't intentionally heard it in years.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I posted about this some time ago and so will spare you the details, but in a single public-pool afternoon sometime back in the late seventies I heard for the first time both "Dreams" and Steely Dan's "Do It Again." That was a serious day. One that still ripples.

But the real story is this shit right here:

HarveyCanal said:
    Even if I tried, I couldn't get a particular Houston area apartment from the early 90's out of my head, complete with its Holly Hobby-inspired, flower-wielding wannabe, sweet vampire Stevie Nicks devotees sitting on the floor smoking joints as candles and incense burned and fleeting boyfriends circled about drinking beer and plotting plunges. Of course the first rule of Fleet Club being that for every tender Almost Famous blonde there has to be at least one enormous friend of the wicked witch variety wanting to cast a dark cigarette spell if not a lipstick-smudged bearhug.

And yes, we'll be listeing to Pink Floyd later in the night.
    You're killing me with this, Harvey--you have no idea. Swap "Clemson" for "Houston," and c'est moi. How many evenings spent in variously configured constellations of Rhiannonnannabes and their boyfriends/not-boyfriends, always starting off with the "cool" music of the day, but in the lateness and the darkness and the deepness and the slowness, invariably, out comes the fucking Floyd (my man Paul used to switch it up with Tangerine Dream or--god help me--the Hoodoo Rhythm Devils). I eventually learned to roll with it, but for a good while, that was my cue to kick some "Hey, you wanna go out on the porch?"

And "lipstick-smudged bearhug" is some realness, too. I used to know a girl along these lines who wore a Tom Petty-style top hat. It still gives me the chills.

So somebody other than me actually likes the Hoodoo Rhythm Devils?

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    :feelin_it:Haven't been without a copy for at least the past 15 years.

pickwick33 said:
    So somebody other than me actually likes the Hoodoo Rhythm Devils?
    Well, I've got good news and bad news:

The bad news is that it turns out that I was mis-remembering: the late-night go-to in question was actually just The Rhythm Devils--some Grateful Dead spinoff that had a very long cassette's worth of meandering and non-interruptive drumminess that I think had something to do with Apocalypse Now (I know, right? Make-Out City, that flick).

The good news is that the host in question was a real skeeve--dude a) routinely put the moves on aspiring art girls by whipping out his unfinished symphony, a twenty-five-percent-completed meticulous pen-and-ink re-creation of the cover of Jimmy Cliff's Struggling Man, b) sported a regular rotation of fringed woven ponchos, all of which were slicked with filth and stunk like muskrat, and c) ended up marrying a girl that he started going out with when he was twenty-one and she was sixteen--and not anybody you'd want on your team anyway.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    "Lindsey is the mad genius.

But Fleetwood and McVie are incredibly solid.

And without Stevie, the whole thing doesn???t work.

And Christine is the glue between the old and the new.

Imagine I told you to leave everything behind, your job, your family, your house. Imagine I told you we were gonna run away with the rock and roll circus???would you come?

That???s what these people did
    ."

Making Rumours

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    There is a new book by Producer / Engineer Ken Caillat on the making of Rumours???. Worth a read if you are atotal geek abou the record like I am.

RAJ said:

Great, 30+ years of enjoying this album, and now it's all been RUINED by this here Renaissance Fair Glamour Shot that NEVER EVER should have seen the light of day.

Are they just jesters or full-on mimes? Sheesh.

Though I eventually heard (and have since forgotten) some story that explained to my satisfaction the reason for the balls (they're an ancient symbol of the theater or something?), Mick's proto-Cisco-Adler moves here were always distressing to me as a young youth. (Though I think my confusion surrounding this cover was eventually trumped by the one-two punch of the cover of Brown Dirt Cowboy and the center spread of Toulouse Street.)

HarveyCanal said:
    RAJ said:

Great, 30+ years of enjoying this album, and now it's all been RUINED by this here Renaissance Fair Glamour Shot that NEVER EVER should have seen the light of day.

Are they just jesters or full-on mimes? Sheesh.

This is merely an alternate shot of the familiar Rumours cover. Don't tell me you couldn't see this coming.

Yeah, but whereas the album shot looks somewhat mystical, the alternate shot looks like well, this...

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    I don't own this, maybe I'll pick it up and get the experience.
    I also realized my Aja plays with some crackle so I need to mint up that as well.

I love it the rare times I actually set out to find some $1-2 commons.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Dreams is one of my favorite songs ever.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    james said:
    The Rhythm Devils--some Grateful Dead spinoff that had a very long cassette's worth of meandering and non-interruptive drumminess that I think had something to do with Apocalypse Now (I know, right? Make-Out City, that flick).

This one?

I interviewed Jez Kerr of A Certain Ratio last year and when the tape was off we started talking about more general music-related topics. It turns out that this record and Airto's Misa Espiritual were a big influence on their sound. It was also a big stoner favourite of me and my boys during a period where we were obsessed with Apocalypse Now. The drummer in the band I was in had a copy. Anywhere there was a late-night or limited showing of the movie at a cinema in the region, we'd pile in a car and head off to see it, hotboxing all the way with that album in the tapedeck.

As for the Mac, I'm more a Christine or Lindsey guy myself these days. In my punk days, on the other hand, Rumours represented everything I (thought I) hated about music - self-indulgent Laurel Canyon hippies arrogantly presuming people would give a shit for their tales of coked-up philandering set to easily digestible music. Turns out they were right. I'm kinda relieved I don't care about things like that anymore. It's not as if a village somewhere is going to get wiped out just because you happen to like a few Yes records.

• Almond said:
    Dreams is one of my favorite songs ever.

The bassline... and
    "Thunder only happens when it's raining"
    Players only love you when their playing"
    They say women, they will come and they will go"
    "When the rain washes you clean you'll know"
    "You will know"
    To the depths I dive!

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

It most definitely is...