waxidermy claims this board is "dead" "over" etc

14567810»

Comments

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    JRoot, what's that you got your children listening to? A Marvin Smith single on Mayfield?

To paraphrase Marvin Smith, "You're really something, Pickwick." Good eyes!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    JRoot said:
    pickwick33 said:
    JRoot, what's that you got your children listening to? A Marvin Smith single on Mayfield?

I'd know that brightly-colored design anywhere!

I am moderating a panel discussion and concert featuring Smith on March 22 at the Chicago History Museum. Smitj, along with Gene Chandler and Gene Barge will be talking about Chicago soul. Smith will be performing an after-seminar show. If you find yourself back in Chitown with nothing to do that evening...

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Ah Ha Ha! You can but I don't think my phone is smart enough to handle that. What about a CTI braek terd soundclash?

• jobs, children, social networks...time vampires.

I've never been a regular up in Soul Strut, but that's no reflection on Soul Strut. Always loved the review section and some of the crazy threads...that Black Jazz exchange was bordering on surreal. And that Kon & Amir vs Frank debacle...jaw-dropping. Hope Soul Strut continues for a long while yet.

I admire your dedication, Raj. Particularly as I bear in mind that time is such a precious resource.

I wonder...what is the current age demographic up here? Are twenty-somethings and teens taking a look-in?

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    captainplanet said:
    Just wanted to throw my lil bit of encouragement for keeping this site alive. I know I barely post anymore, and was never a major contributor, but I still lurk and drool over finds now and then. I can also honestly say that I've met a handful of really good heads from here, and learned about a ton of records. When I first moved out to LA a little over a year ago, Kid Gusto was one of the first people I connected with- a guy I had never met in person, but had known online from this site for years. Heatrocks for benefit causes and that type of rallying always inspired me too. I agree that creativity is all that's needed to keeping it going.

I spent A LOT of time on here prior to 2006. With exception to the Kid Gusto part, this sums me up quite well. Although at one point during my poasting days, I did move to Los Angeles, and finally got to meet a bunch of strutters in the real world. Great site... wish I could be on here more. Raj, thanks for being the provider. I'll be checking in even more frequently with the SS 100 feature. ... Tom

Apparently, in December of 2004, I was fascinated enough by The Life Aquatic to start a new thread on it: http://web.archive.org/web/20041213150243/http://board.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=crates

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    JRoot said:
    pickwick33 said:

I'd know that brightly-colored design anywhere!

I am moderating a panel discussion and concert featuring Smith on March 22 at the Chicago History Museum. Smitj, along with Gene Chandler and Gene Barge will be talking about Chicago soul. Smith will be performing an after-seminar show. If you find yourself back in Chitown with nothing to do that evening...

Those pink/red/purple Mayfield labels are something to behold. I think I bought that very 45 from somebody on this board, and he had the extreme decency to include an extra radio promo 45 for the Curtis Live record! It was a two-for-one on my lazy, but lifelong quest to become a Curtis Mayfield completist.

Sadly, I won't be in Chicago on March 22, but that event looks smoking!!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Unstickied at 20,000 views?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    time to unstick is now

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    set our jawn free

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    JRoot said:
    I think I bought that very 45 from somebody on this board, and he had the extreme decency to include an extra radio promo 45 for the Curtis Live record! It was a two-for-one on my lazy, but lifelong quest to become a Curtis Mayfield completist.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was a promo for the Curtis record ;)

you were so happy about it that it really made my day, people don't always bother to show appreciation for things like that - but the Strut tends to do things right.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    pickwick33 said:

That was my first thought, too.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    JRoot said:
    I think I bought that very 45 from somebody on this board, and he had the extreme decency to include an extra radio promo 45 for the Curtis Live record! It was a two-for-one on my lazy, but lifelong quest to become a Curtis Mayfield completist.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was a promo for the Curtis record ;)

you were so happy about it that it really made my day, people don't always bother to show appreciation for things like that - but the Strut tends to do things right.

If it made your day, imagine what it did to mine! Very kind and generous, and very much appreciated!! Thanks again.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    picoandsepulveda said:
    yeah i like how cpeetz & everyone over there claim he won that online soundclash against me here on SS. that tells me all i need to know about what fools over on that site are on. as cliche' as it may sound, real heads know the deal.

Still butt hurt after all these years?
    Votes don't lie.
    It was all in good fun, 'til you got bent out of shape.
    I hope it doesn't keep you up at night.
    One love nyah man!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I never really felt a part of this site.. to be honest.

I always felt on the outside and not the inside.

I'm not a big Ebay head.. I'm just a guitar player and a B-boy.

This is my favorite place to worship the dead and geek out over some obscure shit. I definitely come here more than I go to church these days.

I learned alot about alot of good shit here.. so for that Soul Strut I'm grateful. Thank you.

I just don't take the internet all that seriously to be honest. Can't live my whole life behind a computer screen.

At its worst moments this site is like the wall of a toilet at a gas station.

At its best moments this place reached beyond the computer screen and inspired me to get up and dig through some old nasty records that nobody in my family would've given a shit about before.

Guzzo, RAJ, Iron Monkey, Day, Sheep, Thes, GenePontecorvo, Tommy, Frank, Danno, Marco, O-dub, Steve Hoffman, Abby & Delay.. I learned a lot from all of you great people.

Even though I never felt like a real Soul Strut dude.. per se. I'm always down for y'all.

- Diego

• cpeetz said:
    picoandsepulveda said:
    yeah i like how cpeetz & everyone over there claim he won that online soundclash against me here on SS. that tells me all i need to know about what fools over on that site are on. as cliche' as it may sound, real heads know the deal.

Votes don't lie.
    One love nyah man!

Put your money where your mouth is then. Let's get a second round going. and don't come at me with some b*tch shit talmbout "been there done that" either.

your tunes were weak hippy dub records that no one gives a f*ck about and are common as f*ck. my tunes were educational for the people on this board and are top tunes for dancing and really just all around better music. my prediction is that you will b*tch out. I also feel like another clash will breathe new life into this board. If you choose to clash w/me and we do it, loser can never post here again.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    oh fuck - please let's get a new clash going and put this cat fight to rest.

picoandsepulveda said:
    If you choose to clash w/me and we do it, loser can never post here again.

careful what you ask for - if these are the odds, it will turn into a popularity contest instead of the music.

oh. wait....

• bassie said:
    oh fuck - please let's get a new clash going and put this cat fight to rest.

MEOW

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    bassie said:

careful what you ask for - if these are the odds, it will turn into a popularity contest instead of the music

It's ok, nobody likes either of these dudes

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    picoandsepulveda said:
    cpeetz said:
    picoandsepulveda said:

Votes don't lie.
    One love nyah man!

Put your money where your mouth is then. Let's get a second round going. and don't come at me with some b*tch shit talmbout "been there done that" either.

your tunes were weak hippy dub records that no one gives a f*ck about and are common as f*ck. my tunes were educational for the people on this board and are top tunes for dancing and really just all around better music. my prediction is that you will b*tch out. I also feel like another clash will breathe new life into this board. If you choose to clash w/me and we do it, loser can never post here again.

Take a deep breath.
    Things are going to be OK.
    It's just an internet forum, it's not that serious.
    Reactions like these are the reason people mess with you so much.
    Years ago we were two guys who posted on SS more often than not about reggae.
    You came up with idea to have a soundclash that was going to share some tunes we like with the board
    and have a little fun, perhaps talk some good natured smack.
    It irked me from the beginning that you had to have cut off dates, I'm into Jamaican music from the 60's to the now.
    But you wanted it limited to cuts from 60's up til '72 or something like that if memory serves.
    Then you just posted soundfiles with no pictures, which was also frustrating because you could have gotten MP3's off some blog
    for all we know.
    Did you have the actual records you were posting clips from? Mostly likely yes.
    But it was just plain weird that you refused to post pics, and I wasn't the only person who thought so.
    Don't have digital camera, borrow your mom's or a friend's.
    We were going to all this trouble to make the soundclash happen, just go the extra step and post some pics and shut everybody up.
    As far as the quality of the music, that was for the voters to decide.
    And they did.
    Were your cuts rarer and more expensive?
    Absolutely.
    Did some of the boards most influential members vocalize those sentiments?
    Once again yes.
    But they each only had one vote.
    Did we each like our own cuts better?
    Of course we did. We have different taste obviously.
    I tailored my cuts to Soul Strut, reggae versions of soul tunes, stuff with drum breaks etc.
    Had this clash gone down on a ska/rocksteady forum or Vespa club message board I don't think I would have gotten even one single vote.
    But to say your cuts are better music is just plain silly. Music is completely subjective, one persons smash it another's trash.
    Attempting to place some kind of "hierarchy of quality" on the music really just takes all the fun and enjoyment out of it.
    If that's how you think about music, that's your business.
    One last thing on the clash...
    Nobody likes a poor sport. When the rules are set and you lose, shake hands say good game and move on.
    That's what I would have done had you won. It's unfortunate you couldn't extend the same courtesy.

That's my two cents on the past.

As to the future.
    I'm just not interested in doing it again.
    Like many people who used to be pretty active on Soul Strut, life has taken me to a place where I'm not willing to expend as much
    time and effort on this board as I did in the past.
    Although the Waxi-thread did actually serve to bring me back here more that I've been in quite some time.
    I missed it and want to stay a member until it's done.
    Soul Strut is about conversation and sharing, not beefing and bullshit.
    You can call this a "bitch" move and insult me and the music I like all you want, that's up to you.
    I'm waving the white flag and changing the tone of our conversation on my end.

I here by abdicate my Soul Strut Soundclash Throne.
    Whoever wants the crown can take it.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    damn. would have liked to seen a reclash

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    peeetz. we needs a reclash.
    if we can get ten pics of board members puffing holy chalice will you change your mind?

for the record, i dont even remember the winner form the last one, jus tthat it was a good time

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Then you just posted soundfiles with no pictures, which was also frustrating because you could have gotten MP3's off some blog
    for all we know.
    Did you have the actual records you were posting clips from?
    But it was just plain weird that you refused to post pics, and I wasn't the only person who thought so.

That was the sentiment I remember, dude wouldn't post up pics of his own records.
    It was bullshit, totally ripping mp3's off another dudes' collection and blogs was my initial thought.

You atleast posted pics and backed it up. You win in my book.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

Thanks, who wants to step?? :snake:

• "You atleast posted pics and backed it up. You win in my book."
    fuck your book

• cpeetz said:
    picoandsepulveda said:
    cpeetz said:
    picoandsepulveda said:

Votes don't lie.
    One love nyah man!

Take a deep breath.
    Things are going to be OK.
    It's just an internet forum, it's not that serious.
    Reactions like these are the reason people mess with you so much.
    Years ago we were two guys who posted on SS more often than not about reggae.
    You came up with idea to have a soundclash that was going to share some tunes we like with the board
    and have a little fun, perhaps talk some good natured smack.
    It irked me from the beginning that you had to have cut off dates, I'm into Jamaican music from the 60's to the now.
    But you wanted it limited to cuts from 60's up til '72 or something like that if memory serves.
    for all we know.
    Did you have the actual records you were posting clips from? Mostly likely yes.
    Don't have digital camera, borrow your mom's or a friend's.
    We were going to all this trouble to make the soundclash happen, just go the extra step and post some pics and shut everybody up.
    As far as the quality of the music, that was for the voters to decide.
    And they did.
    Were your cuts rarer and more expensive?
    Absolutely.
    Did some of the boards most influential members vocalize those sentiments?
    Once again yes.
    But they each only had one vote.
    Did we each like our own cuts better?
    Of course we did. We have different taste obviously.
    I tailored my cuts to Soul Strut, reggae versions of soul tunes, stuff with drum breaks etc.
    Had this clash gone down on a ska/rocksteady forum or Vespa club message board I don't think I would have gotten even one single vote.
    But to say your cuts are better music is just plain silly. Music is completely subjective, one persons smash it another's trash.
    Attempting to place some kind of "hierarchy of quality" on the music really just takes all the fun and enjoyment out of it.
    If that's how you think about music, that's your business.
    One last thing on the clash...
    Nobody likes a poor sport. When the rules are set and you lose, shake hands say good game and move on.
    That's what I would have done had you won. It's unfortunate you couldn't extend the same courtesy.

That's my two cents on the past.

As to the future.
    I'm just not interested in doing it again.
    Like many people who used to be pretty active on Soul Strut, life has taken me to a place where I'm not willing to expend as much
    time and effort on this board as I did in the past.
    Although the Waxi-thread did actually serve to bring me back here more that I've been in quite some time.
    I missed it and want to stay a member until it's done.
    Soul Strut is about conversation and sharing, not beefing and bullshit.
    You can call this a "bitch" move and insult me and the music I like all you want, that's up to you.
    I'm waving the white flag and changing the tone of our conversation on my end.

I here by abdicate my Soul Strut Soundclash Throne.
    Whoever wants the crown can take it.

man i am not trippin at all just having fun with it. you are the one getting all defensive playboy. Ackee love fat, ocra love salt.

picoandsepulveda said:
    Ackee love fat, ocra love salt.

haha! nice

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Plantweed wrote: