waxidermy claims this board is "dead" "over" etc

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I read SS every day but rarely post for some of the previously mentioned reasons - namely, politics and sports.
    Anything to do with music is great and I also love that SS can turn me onto music I didn't previously know (Tame Impala for example)

• BUMP

wait.... what? i thought this thread was from 07.

soulstrut is awesome. ive never felt the need to go to waxidermy, for no reason other than i didn't feel like it. it's could be awesome, tbh i don't care either way.

long live internet. long live popeyes side orders.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Also, maybe it's finally time for a separate politics/sport (maybe TV/movies too) board. The politics/sports threads are clearly needling a lot of people. Let there be a place to discuss that stuff away from those who aren't interested in taking part, and let it stand or fall according to how interested people actually are.

I never had a problem with non-music topics mixed into this.

There are never four NBA, MLB, NFL threads running. There arent 3 to 5 Sneakers threads up.
    Same goes for TV or Movies.
    But the did you watch the debates, Mint Romney, Obama, Iraq Iran shit was poppin' up every other day for a long minute. And dudes were just insulting each other by the 3rd page.
    And there was NO Moderation.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Sayin'.

Dudes need to step dey sneaker and NBA game up :hi:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    batmon said:
    Addressing this seems like a really good starting point to get shit on track here. I think it???s time for a new batch of folks who have the time, interest, good judgement and iron fist clad in a velvet glove to take the reigns.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Did Kala just save the Board?

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    This place has definitely been a hive of activity in the last 48 hrs

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    This place has definitely been a hive of activity in the last 48 hrs

Adversity unites.

LAMF.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    soulstrut changed my life

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Rising from the ashes

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    batmon said:

and

bassie said:

KALA FOR MODERHATTEUR!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Sorry posting this again (once in "Roll Call") but I too would hate to see this site go.

My question is this.

I'm pretty sure the "new wave" of diggers was influenced heavily by guys like DJ Shadow, Rjd2, the documentary "Scratch" and all the independent label rappers a decade ago (I was) Seems like it's not as "trendy" any more to get into it. I personally know a good amount of 21 year olds that aren't listening to hip-hop but are listening to electronic/dub-step music. And for many, hip-hop was a natural segway into old funk and soul records. I feel like this crowd is largely gone now, and maybe a reason the board was slowing down? Even if some kids are mildly interested in old music that the forum isn't the hotbed of information like it used to be. Hell, like someone else said, I was literally jotting down artist names and album titles all the time cuz I wanted to hear something new.

I'm saying this, because obviously the ones that are posting their profiles here are an older crowd (30~40 and beyond) mainly. And I feel like the 20 year olds that are running around on their smart phones neither have the patience nor strong interest to invest their time in posting to a forum and learning something about music.

The forum ain't gonna be what it used to be. But it can still be a smaller, sustainable version. OR a more dynamic, different website dedicated to bringing in the newbies in the game and giving them enough incentive to post and actively engage with the other community members. I feel like the latter is especially important for any business.

Is this knowledge dropped?

Also, I feel the top 100 recs is a hint into what could keep bringing people back. Don't know how much people check the "Reviews" section, but I feel like it's an exhaustive list of records (too many). A list of "100 essential dusty discs" or a tab of some sort would spark interest (especially for the new headz). Hell, they might even wanna post about "which cities are best to find such records"? Then the old headz can pounce and have their day, and we'll at least be having some sort of dialogue. If the market as a whole is leaning in another direction, you basically have to create your own cult-following or do something really dynamic that turns heads. I think.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    yuichi said:
    "100 essential dusty discs"

NICE ONE!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    yuichi said:
    "100 essential dusty discs"

NICE ONE!

Something as cheesy and pretentious as that MIGHT get in new folks, who knows.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    i think yuichi is right regarding young people not getting into records as much. most people my age think checking youtube and a couple of blogs is being a music expert. i definitely can't see any of my friends checking a site like this regularly.

i think the mixes section might be be the main attraction for new (younger) people into the site. they want to listen to 30 mins of boogie instead of spending one hour discussing records or whatever.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    bassie said:

Rising from the ashes

like a phoeknickkks

Ads removed. Fuck Proactive.

• iconicon 86 Posts
    RAJ said:
    fwiw, in my short time back here, the pages are loading faster for me. I was getting quite a few "waiting on ads.whatever" in my browser the last couple of days before the pages would load.

icon said:
    RAJ said:
    fwiw, in my short time back here, the pages are loading faster for me. I was getting quite a few "waiting on ads.whatever" in my browser the last couple of days before the pages would load.

Mission accomplished.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Well I've never been the "real" demographic of this site, in that I've never collected records (and admitting that a few times got me some lashes haha), but I loved the music discussed here, regardless of the vinyl medium. I remember when I picked up that soulstrut Mix of real audio (lol) mixes and was just amazed (still listen to that shit to this day). I share mixes with my friends and tell them about the strut like its this magical place, and I tell them I can't take credit when there's some DJ out there that did all the hardwork of obtaining and presenting a mix. I'm just here to give props on your hard work and the community itself.

I always thought this site was at it's best when it didn't take itself seriously. I loved the inside jokes/graemlins/lexicon. Non-musical topics could definitely be fun. Regarding music, sure there were some snobs here and there, but when it came down discussing music there were/are so many members that have offered a wealth of musical information and were eager to share that information and direction as long as it was appreciated. I can't quantify how much of an influence this site had on my musical tastes for which i'l forever be grateful.

Over the years I've maintained my digital collection by periods of time, as in, my favorite listens over a couple of months (I dont sort singles alphabetically) and its almost like a journal, in that I have recommendations from strutters among all those folders that take to me to a certain period in my life. From obsession with mashups to frank cunimondo trio..... I guess I'm babbling, but this site, or I should say community is legit. Met a few cool people at shows.

I will say that there is a trend noticed by anyone that has been a part of a messageboard for over 4 years and in their youth prior to facebook and the like...people and priorities move on and people will always be nostalgic about the past, even though they were resentful of it while it was present.

All I want to say is regardless of what happens with this site, I'm fucking grateful it has existed. I can't pay you a higher compliment. "You" referring to Raj, and the community that expanded my musical horizons. Peace.

• Wait. So are non-music threads out completely? Cuz there's a Kulap Vilaysack Appreciation Thread just waiting to be started.

• Oops! Double

• Sorry! Triple

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    So nice you had to post it thrice

• Ha! Yeah??? that's weird man. Seriously. I don't know what happened there

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Excitable hands?

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    It has been a minute since the last fantasy ;blap: thraed.

By the way..... ;blap:

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    This site would be much, much better if people read my posts over in WANTS, then proceeded to sell me the records I'm wanting for.

• Horseleech said:
    Excitable hands?

Blap Sweats

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Excitable hands?

:oh_my: