waxidermy claims this board is "dead" "over" etc

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    "Meanwhile, Faux Rillz is over there bitching like a coward"

what has he ever added to either site but empty vapid hip hop discourse?
    not a mix ,record find s or a pittance of record knowledge dropped???ever
    yet dudes dick ride him and he is considered "one of the crew"
    do tell why?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Underrated but definitely an asset:

tripledouble
    the_hook_up
    funky16corners
    meaty_ogre

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Like the more compact and older style version of the forum already. Please change the background color of "white", too much white (no racism), to a more subtle color. It's never kind on the eyes for extended durations....

• tripledouble said:
    damn dog, youve kept up with 20 message boards? that sounds full time and then some

haha, just counted and that was way off. lurking not posting, and its more like 10 - 15 of which many are closed / dead now

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    It feels like revenge of the nerds over there. I have a look to see what I'm missing, and yeah, there's record talk which is great, but I kind of feel like I'm in some club made up of the people who were made to feel unpopular here ('tenderberries' or whatever they're called), so maybe the Strut is repping what it sowed with the clonning of the sensitive private press snoozer enthusiast or something.

I think the "tenderberry" reference actually comes from here. Traditionally a lot of the dealers and ARC regulars go to dinner at Hoover's after the show closes on Friday. A blueberry (or maybe it was a blackberry) cobbler was shared "by two grown men" and then made fun of in that thread.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    i'm pretty much done with southern rap, sample based hiphop/pop, blazing downtempo, classic breakbeats, etc. hence i don't check the site that much unless someone finds a fresh angle to old music

if the quantic dude reissues cumbia 78s, i'll check the strut if anyone tackles this but it doesn't happen + the witty banter people are moving into their 30s

• yuichi said:
    Like the more compact and older style version of the forum already. Please change the background color of "white", too much white (no racism), to a more subtle color. It's never kind on the eyes for extended durations....

Desert Theme, dude.

• Originally I came here because I took a wrong turn looking for "soulshare" (sad but true), but if not for SoulStrut I would still be collecting bossa nova conjunto lps. I got into Brazilian soul because I wanted to be able to post about things the people here would like. And I'm glad I did, because I discovered some great music and picked up a lot of records you cant find anymore.

• yuichi said:
    Underrated but definitely an asset:

tripledouble
    the_hook_up
    funky16corners
    meaty_ogre

Funky never posts here anymore. I admit that I made a point of trying to piss him off, but I really admired his blog and the man knows his records like very few people here now.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Burns said:
    Waxi is cool but too white with no imagery.

Literally or figuratively?

I think part of the problem of diminishing returns is the "been there done that" mentality about records. Over the years, so many records have been discussed and with all of the posturing about who knows more about records and being "over it" on more well-known stuff, you end up with Waxidudes who are scraping the bottom of the barrel just to have something to talk about record-wise, since it's just not cool to talk about Thin Lizzy. I think we should just start from the beginning and open up every record to discussion without the unwritten prohibition on previously discussed topics. Fuck it. I still listen to Live at Budokan sometimes. It's great fucking record. No reason we can't talk about it.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    This is how the Strut looks in Firefox on my work Dell. I can dump all the internet data and it shows up fine but eventually goes back to looking broken. It looks fine in Chrome and (I think) Internet Explorer. Also looks fine on my home iMac.

From Desktop

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    white_tea said:
    This is how the Strut looks in Firefox on my work Dell. I can dump all the internet data and it shows up fine but eventually goes back to looking broken. It looks fine in Chrome and (I think) Internet Explorer. Also looks fine on my home iMac.

From Desktop

I'll look into it. Seems like you have an outdated version of Firefox as the Stylesheets aren't appearing.

• pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:
    Burns said:
    Waxi is too white.

It is no secret that Waxidermy prefers the folk over the funk.

Some funny threads there occasionally to lurk on. But I would go further to say that the few times I have gone there I have noticed more than a preferential tone, more like an anti-funk, anti hip hop attitude. And a cynicism and even a condescension toward anything other than bone, which is not what this client wants. aka dudes whose record buying evolved without hip hop as a factor, ever. (except Dcarfagna) I can't say it makes sense to me, maybe I need to go to Manitoba to get it.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    batmon said:
    After Obama got in, the political threads grew like weeds in this muthafucka.

Way too many Circle Jerks threads with dudes trying to outdo each other on some Meet The Press nonsense.

I think there were a lot more political threads here in the year leading up to the last election than any other time since I've been here.

The hoops talk here is great.

The UK contingency is top notch and enjoy a good give and take discussion which is admirable.

Any board is better if there is lots of action and SS has definitely fallen off on that front.....not going to speculate why though.

It has been frustrating that political threads get 100+ responses while most record threads get crickets.

Waxidermy would not exist if not for SS so some of the hate is questionable.

I enjoy both sites and would love to see both thrive.

• DB_Cooper said:
    since it's just not cool to talk about Thin Lizzy

Just scored a nice copy of this:

Shaping up to be my favorite Thin Lizzy record, just after Jailbreak

• Rockadelic said:
    I enjoy both sites and would love to see both thrive.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    billbradley said:
    Duderonomy said:
    It feels like revenge of the nerds over there. I have a look to see what I'm missing, and yeah, there's record talk which is great, but I kind of feel like I'm in some club made up of the people who were made to feel unpopular here ('tenderberries' or whatever they're called), so maybe the Strut is repping what it sowed with the clonning of the sensitive private press snoozer enthusiast or something.

I think the "tenderberry" reference actually comes from here. Traditionally a lot of the dealers and ARC regulars go to dinner at Hoover's after the show closes on Friday. A blueberry (or maybe it was a blackberry) cobbler was shared "by two grown men" and then made fun of in that thread.

I had used the phrase on here long before that, just in reference to soft ass dudes in general. And then that night at Hoover's, the term actually came to life. I couldn't have written a better script for it.

• Deegreez said:
    pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:
    Burns said:
    Waxi is too white.

Some funny threads there occasionally to lurk on. But I would go further to say that the few times I have gone there I have noticed more than a preferential tone, more like an anti-funk, anti hip hop attitude. And a cynicism and even a condescension toward anything other than bone, which is not what this client wants. aka dudes whose record buying evolved without hip hop as a factor, ever. (except Dcarfagna) I can't say it makes sense to me, maybe I need to go to Manitoba to get it.

You're not dreaming, I've noticed that, too.

There was a fairly recent thread where people were naming their favorite soul albums. We were halfway through it when somebody announces:

These threads are always futile because the best 20 records of the genre get posted and then it's like... OK I REALLY LIKE 100 PROOF AGED IN SOUL or some shit.

I responded:

Only on Waxidermy would 100 Proof Aged In Soul or the Nite Liters signify "bottom of the barrel." What's the matter, too busy listening to Leo Kottke or some such shit?

That kinda fucked with me. So it's okay to rave over some washed-out folk singer straight from the hippie commune. But we can't celebrate minor soul legends? It's exchanges like these that led me to dub Waxidermy as Soul Strut's white-and-uptight younger brother.

Don't get me wrong, I like chopping it up over there about obscure records, and when it's not my field, I'm happy to sit in the audience and just lurk. But there can be a thick air of condesencion when dealing with basic rock and soul, especially if it was popular. This really hit home when somebody over there was offended that I never cared for classical music. And I'm thinking: "damn, I just scored a copy of Bo Diddley's Beach Party today. Why the fuck am I arguing with somebody I don't know over a style of music I don't like?"

• TheKindCromang said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Possibly the closest to funk they ever got. Pre-Jailbreak, before their basic sound was established.

This album also reminds you that Thin Lizzy had some great guitarists, but were indeed led by a bass player.

• pickwick33 said:
    Deegreez said:
    pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:
    Burns said:
    Waxi is too white.

this is on point. i dont think it should be taken disrespectfully either. a lot of ol' strut was formed by people who got into record collecting through hiphop. its definitely the case for me. ultimate breaks (and breaks in general) will always have a golden halo around them just for where they fit in at the foundation of a a music we love. of course its limiting to like records only based on breaks and loops and not appreciate them as a whole. still, waxi fam seems to be mostly comprised of people who probably weren't moved much by hiphop before the mid90s and sometimes look down on that record culture. and theres nothing wrong with that. i often find that waxiboard recommendations and praise of hiphop/soul/funk doesnt shred as claimed. boils down to different backgrounds leading to different tastes. at least they are talking about records

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I've been a member here since there was a here to be a member of, and while it has obviously slowed down I still come thru a couple of times a day just to see what's going on. I've never met a single person on this board in real life (other than when I've been in Good Records), but this place and the members here are a community I value a great deal. Like a lot of us my life has changed drastically since the days of the Crates List and what not, and I don't spend much time at all digging for records anymore. But my love for music and for people who love music as passionately as I do is undiminished. I have learned so much from the people here and would absolutely hate it if it were to go away. Raj, I appreciate the playground you have provided us, please find a way to scale back what needs to be scaled and get your overhead reduced.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Other than the general SoulSturt vibe - albeit diminished - that I've laready said I prefer, the rap and very occasional reggae talk is why I like it better, why I relate more, here than at Waxidermy.

I don't think anyone wants either board to fail (not counting Dolo), so while Waxidermy is not for me, it is definitely for a lot of other people.

noz said:

I suspect it costs Ed and Crink about $80 a year to host Waxidermy, precisely because they have no interest in wowing us with their mad programming skillz. It's successful because it's a community, not a tech demo.

See this didn't make any sense to me, but because I am not on Waxidermy enough to comment I held my tongue. But looking at all the posts that have followed regarding the uptight condescension etc. - I guess I wasn't too far off.
    IMO It's easier to find your footing with the type of clowning that happens here than being shot down for music you love and having the wind knocked out of the excitement of new territory.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    TheKindCromang said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Possibly the closest to funk they ever got. Pre-Jailbreak, before their basic sound was established.

This album also reminds you that Thin Lizzy had some great guitarists, but were indeed led by a bass player.

back on some record nerd stuff, there is a UK Gladys Knight exploito LP called "Especially for you" which features a couple of funk instrumental guitar led tracks from some band called "Funky Junction" rumor has been that Funky Junction was actually Thin Lizzy circa 1971.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Perhaps I'm just being overly sensitive but I sometimes get the feeling that some dudes think there is or was some white anti rap conspiracy or some malicious revenge of the nerds type shit at the core of the Waxidermy board. Which just isn't true. I'm sure many remember when there was SO MUCH record talk you could spend all day on both boards. You know, talking records. Anyhow, I would definitely be sad to see this place wither away and die. One thing that seems to have all but disappeared from here is guys promoting what they're doing in a non-spammy way. There used to be a ton of that here and it was awesome. There's still flashes of it in threads like the phone pics. I guess a lot of that has moved to facebook and twitter which kinda sucks because those sites seem so vapid and ME oriented without much sense of community. I dunno though maybe I'm just old though. I'm sure Noz will let me know.

• WaxECoyote said:
    WaxECoyote said:
    Please, help save Soul Strut.
    For less than the cost of one boner per month, you can make a difference!

• Guzzo said:
    pickwick33 said:
    TheKindCromang said:
    DB_Cooper said:

back on some record nerd stuff, there is a UK Gladys Knight exploito LP called "Especially for you" which features a couple of funk instrumental guitar led tracks from some band called "Funky Junction" rumor has been that Funky Junction was actually Thin Lizzy circa 1971.

Thin Lizzy played (with some additions) as "Funky Junction" on a record of Deep Purple covers, but I don't think they are on this. More likely the producer owned the name and used different musicians on different releases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funky_Junction

• hcrink said:
    Perhaps I'm just being overly sensitive but I sometimes get the feeling that some dudes think there is or was some white anti rap conspiracy or some malicious revenge of the nerds type shit at the core of the Waxidermy board. Which just isn't true.

I'm no big rap fan, and even I've gotten that impression from Waxi.

Not just with black music in general, but any white artist who isn't part of some trendy, avant-garde fringe.

bassie said:
    Other than the general SoulSturt vibe - albeit diminished - that I've laready said I prefer, the rap and very occasional reggae talk is why I like it better, why I relate more, here than at Waxidermy.

I don't think anyone wants either board to fail (not counting Dolo), so while Waxidermy is not for me, it is definitely for a lot of other people.

noz said:

I suspect it costs Ed and Crink about $80 a year to host Waxidermy, precisely because they have no interest in wowing us with their mad programming skillz. It's successful because it's a community, not a tech demo.

See this didn't make any sense to me, but because I am not on Waxidermy enough to comment I held my tongue. But looking at all the posts that have followed regarding the uptight condescension etc. - I guess I wasn't too far off.
    IMO It's easier to find your footing with the type of clowning that happens here than being shot down for music you love and having the wind knocked out of the excitement of new territory.

I mean yeah, there are definitely some genuinely grueling Android's Dungeon style record guys on Waxidermy. But I think a lot of what you might be seeing as uptight condescension is tongue i cheek to a great degree. I can't remember the last time I've seen someone clowned for expressing genuine enthusiasm for music, or most anything else.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I've always gotten a similar feel from Waxi so I never bothered much with it. I just tried to login over there to look at the SS bash and can't even remember my username or password.

pickwick33 said:
    hcrink said:
    Perhaps I'm just being overly sensitive but I sometimes get the feeling that some dudes think there is or was some white anti rap conspiracy or some malicious revenge of the nerds type shit at the core of the Waxidermy board. Which just isn't true.

I'm no big rap fan, and even I've gotten that impression from Waxi.

Not just with black music in general, but any white artist who isn't part of some trendy, avant-garde fringe.

haha but you considered everyone other than Mitch Ryder or Jerry Lee Lewis part of some trendy, avant-garde fringe.