Soul Strut 100: #90 - Les McCann - Layers

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2012 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

#90 - Les McCann - Layers

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

Related Threads

Basic Records You Never Pass On

common records you don???t see

5 records that are getting heavy spins right now

Video

Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    I like it, and it's fairly common where I live.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Early digger me was stoked to find this record along with Invitation to Openness. That said I can't remember the last time I listened to it. The only Les record I listen to with any regularity is Swiss Movement.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    But of course.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Crate Staple.

:slowburner:

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Hmmm... Layers or Talk To The People?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Johnny put me on to this album. Good shit.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    ive had this record since early lil dude dj days, i think ive listened to it once or twice so i dont recall what it even sounds like. i like this top 100 list because its making me dig back into my shelves and pull out stuff i forgot about. i will listen to this tonight.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Definitely my favorite of this fusion/spacey jazz era/genre. 'bitches brew' is a close second.

oh... and this one:

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DJBombjack said:
    Hmmm... Layers or Talk To The People?

Both!
    Different music for different moods imo

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I love that ARP bassline in Harlem Buck Dance Strut

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DustedDon said:
    ive had this record since early lil dude dj days, i think ive listened to it once or twice so i dont recall what it even sounds like. i like this top 100 list because its making me dig back into my shelves and pull out stuff i forgot about. i will listen to this tonight.

Yeah, this.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i fondly remember how happy me and my friends used to be to find this joint. really a great listen all the way through. definitely seminal fusion joint up there with Headhunters,etc. Talk to the people is sick too as are so many Les records (altho often not as consistent).

Les seemed like a really dope dude too. imagine hanging with Roberta Flack, Donny Hathaway, Left Rev McD and Les?!! im not sure if they were all a crew, but i like to imagine that they were. i cant think of a cooler bunch of people i'd want to kick it with

anyway. big ups Layers. i'm going to dig it out the shelves and play it out while i cook for the rest of the week

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    i want to know if pickwick owns this record.

• Definitive crate record. And better than 90% of the private garbage people pay money for.

This record brings back fond memories of HBlock, smoking beedies, going to Unity, Dj Dusk, PCC, Lucy's, Melrose, Freestyling, Freestyle dancing, gangs.

man i miss la.

• Great mellow - floating keys - float away - chill - vibes record on the same level as Don Hysear Walker and Lonnie Liston Smith.
    Les has a great catalog overall with a pretty wide range through different phases and modes, but this one and "Invitation to Openness" are my two faves.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Don't see it that often in my area record shop, so when I got it recently I was happy.

Definitely doesn't disappoint.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Will always make think of this, which I love.

Sorry cant figure out how to get the embed link on an iPhone.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Always loved these uses...

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Is there any 45's in the top 100? If not, how about a top 50 soulstrut 45 list? That would be awesome! Aww yea.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey 'Strut Brethren,

I love "Layers" and it's one of my early jazz from back in the day. It was quite modern for its time and a big departure from Les's earlier material. I still play this one fairly regularly. "Sometimes I Cry." is one of my favorite songs!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• PrimeCutsLtd said:
    Is there any 45's in the top 100? If not, how about a top 50 soulstrut 45 list? That would be awesome! Aww yea.

Yes this would be another fine avenue to explore and would ignite more enthusiasm for the Strut again. Let's not get ahead of ourselves though, we've only got the first 9 out of the way. Or, better, the last 9. Raj, consider this please.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    PossumTom gave me a copy back in '98 and I've probably bought every copy I have come across since. Giving them away to other people who haven't heard it yet. Don't sleep!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Crate Staple.

:slowburner:

pretty much, had not listened to this in a while
    perfect opening track

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    McCann's overdubbing over rhythm tracks on this record is like proto-hip hop production to me. Definitely my favourite McCann album. Good choice SS!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Dante said:

Nope. It sounds like something I could take or leave either way, to be frank. Not on my shopping list, but if I found it in a dumpster, I'd take the chance.

The two Les McCann albums I actually own are from his earlier years, before he got to Atlantic, from when he was still doing the soul-jazz piano trio thing.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    Dante said:

Nope. It sounds like something I could take or leave either way, to be frank. Not on my shopping list, but if I found it in a dumpster, I'd take the chance.

The two Les McCann albums I actually own are from his earlier years, before he got to Atlantic, from when he was still doing the soul-jazz piano trio thing.

More shocking revelations from the man!

This record, together with Invitation to Openness, I'll often associate with Soulstrut, as the enthusiasm for those two records was quite high back in the day. I suspect that Invitation to Openness may be higher on the SS 100 list, as I saw multiple jpegs of multiple copies from multiple users. Both remain rewarding, mellow jazz records from fusion's early days.

This list is very fun.
    J

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    JRoot said:

This list is very fun.

Yes!

Now release #89 already!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I love Les McCann. He is one of the few artists I've tried to pick up anything I see by/be a completist.
    I celebrate his entire catalog.