Soul Strut 100: #90 - Les McCann - Layers

2»

Comments

• SoulpowerSoulpower 204 Posts
    Is it really better than "Talk to the People" or "Live on Montreaux?" Maybe I should listen to it again. I haven't given it a spin since I found it at least 17 years ago or so. I love to rediscover records in my collection .. maybe this will be one of those moments.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Soulpower said:
    Is it really better than "Talk to the People" or "Live on Montreaux?" .

Apples and Oranges: Les did it all and did it all well. Though anything he did pre late sixties I find a bit snoozeworthy. If anyone can point me towards good early stuff that'd be cool.

The only Les record I listen to with any regularity is Swiss Movement.

sucha great record, need to play it again

WRT Layers: Love it! But man, you need a clean copy: need's to be played loud. I went through alot of copies trying to dig up a clean one bitd.

• SoulpowerSoulpower 204 Posts
    I gave it a spin the other day .. and another spin ... and another spin .. and yes, it's a deep record. Glad that this thread hipped me to re-discover it.

• LoopDreams said:
    If anyone can point me towards good early stuff that'd be cool.

check out "bucket o' grease" on limelight

"beaux j pooboo" has some tracks too

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The Shout, Much Les and Plays the Hits are early to somewhat-early records of his that I go back to a lot

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Somebody asked about early Les.

This is the album that made me a fan:

Of course, this is a reissue on the Sunset label, which was Liberty Records' budget line. Don't know what title this live session was originally issued under, offhand. But it's still a good one to get.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    This weekend's soundtrack..

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Sometimes when I'm walking down the street and am daydreaming, the first minute of HBDS plays in my head and I envision myself in an opening credit sequence to a 70s film