Old and New Headz ROLL CALL (Check-In)

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Tradition holds that he died on that day having eaten close to half a metric tonne of leeks in 589.

Was it on a dare? Or was he just clinically insane/really Welsh?

b/w

I didn't realize leekophiia was so ingrained in my Welsh heritage. And here I've been cheating with scallions for years.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I'm on an iPhone, so excuse the change in format.

Tommy
    South San Francisco
    Sentimental: 93 rap, mainly native tongue, heiro stuff.
    Digging: not much these days. Hit the goodwill the other day. Two kids, grad school, and full time job.
    Other interests: my kids. Wishing I could become a model train nerd someday, but that shit is expensive. Making beats, although I haven't done that in a long time.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Tradition holds that he died on that day having eaten close to half a metric tonne of leeks in 589.

clinically insane/really Welsh?

I think the two are mutually inclusive.

Cymru Wales
    Cymry Welsh [the people]
    Cymraeg Welsh [the language]
    Lloegr England
    Sais an Englishman
    Saeson English [the people]
    Saesneg English [the language]
    Saesneg (adj.) English-language, English-speaking
    Saesnig English [from England]
    Cymru am byth! Wales for ever!
    Y Ddraig Goch ddyry gychwyn The Red Dragon will show the way (slogan often accompanying the Red Dragon, symbol of Wales)
    Twll d??n pob Sais! Down with the English! (literally ???an arsehole every Englishman???)
    Bore da Good morning
    Prynhawn da Good afternoon
    Noswaith dda Good evening
    Nos da Goodnight
    Hel?? or Hyl?? Hello
    Sut mae? (North Welsh) How are you?
    Shw mae? (South Welsh) How are you?
    Croeso Welcome
    Hwyl Bye
    Hwyl am rwan/nawr Bye for now (North/South)
    Dal ati!, Daliwch ati! Keep at it!, Don???t give up!
    Nadolig Llawen Merry Christmas
    Blwyddwyn Newydd Dda Happy New Year
    Penblwydd Hapus Happy Birthday
    Cyfarchion y Tymor Season???s greetings
    Pob lwc Good luck
    Dymuniadau da, Dymuniadau gorau, Pob dymuniad da Best wishes
    Llongyfarchiadau Congratulations
    Cofion cynnes Yours (at end of letter/mail)
    Cariad Love, Darling
    Dw i???n dy garu di I love you
    Hen Wlad fy Nhadau Land of My Fathers (the Welsh national anthem)

But the best ever is microwave oven: popty ping

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    gareth said:
    Place: Brooklyn, via Boston, via Ohio

See, this is what's wrong with Brooklyn. Everybody else says New York.

b/w

The sign going into Brooklyn from Queens on the BQE says "Brooklyn: Believe the Hype!". G.T.F.O.O.H.W.T.B.S.

And on the way out it says "Leaving Brooklyn, Oy Vey" (no bullshit)

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Name: Dave

Place: New London, CT

How old is you? 37

How did you get here? My friend/DJ partner who occasionally still posts as "Lewis"

Sentimental Records: Isley Brothers - Go For Your Guns, Lee Fields - Honey Dove

Places you DIG: thrifts, my local shop (Telegraph records), and these days lots o' eBay

Other interests: librarianing, playing in a loud rock band, skateboarding, web design, cooking/eating

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

Wishing I could become a model train nerd someday

PAGE ME! I'm currently building a small apartment sized one. Making up for lack of space with levels.
    It's all 30-60 year old shit so a ton of fixing needed.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Name: bassie
    Place: Toronto
    How old is you? I was born in 1971
    How did you get here? Much coaxing from KL
    Sentimental Records: A Coltrane - Journey In Satchidananda, Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted, PE - It Takes A Nation
    Places you DIG: stores near and far, private sellers' shelves
    Other interests: food, art, music, men, shoes, Jameson, Hennessy, hash, dancing, watching girls

• Name: Marc

Place: NYC / Astoria

How old is you? 32

How did you get here? Heard a mix that was posted by somebody on here back in like 2002 I think?

Sentimental Records: ATCQ's first 3 albums, Sly & The Family Stone There's A Riot Goin On, Pixies Doolittle, DJ Shadow Endtroducing

Places you DIG: i'm lazy & cheap, so mostly the internets & the occasional splurge at the usual NYC boutiques

Other interests: video editing / motion graphics, electronic music & production / analogue recording, bass guitar, playing in the Otis Funkmeyer band, the occasional DJing gig, making people dance, beer, bar stool philosophy/history/anthropology, video games

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Name: Enrique

Place: East Baltimore

How old is you? 36

How did you get here? by accident

Sentimental Records: Napoleon XIV "They're coming to take me away"

Places you DIG: absolutely any where. No place is off limits

Other interests: music in general, every aspect.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Name: Ali

Place: Essex innit

How old is you? 34

How did you get here? A friend introduced me and then stopped posting a week later. Leaving me here. Alone.

Sentimental Records: anything I associate with a specific time and place. Probably the Al Green I introduced my other half to when we were first dating and any of my parents records I 'gave a good home to'.

Places you DIG: boutiques

Other interests: Films: preferably extremely high or low brow, video games I can unleash pent up rage on, alcohol, hating on people and many other things I should have grown out of by now.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Breez said:

Sentimental Records: Napoleon XIV "They're coming to take me away"

bats in my belfry!!
    love that record

• Controller_7 said:

Is Model Train Nerd the final end stop for all aging Record Collector Nerds?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Name: Rich aka primemundo

Place: South Jersey, just outside the lovely Long Beach Island

How old is you? 42

How did you get here? Googling something music related, lurked for a bit then joined up

Sentimental Records: 40 funky hits. It was one of those only available if you order from the tv commercial type records. One of my first scores. Jimmy Smith - Rootdown. Found it on the cheap in a pile all of the other diggers didn't have time for.

Places You Dig: Fleas and anywhere else.

Other Interests: Family, food, beer, photography & travel

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    Controller_7 said:

No such thing as an end stop in model trains! By necessity, it's all a bit

I'm planning on combining it with records via a Youtube channel.

• SportCasual said:
    TheKindCromang said:
    Controller_7 said:

No such thing as an end stop in model trains! By necessity, it's all a bit

I'm planning on combining it with records via a Youtube channel.

Ha! Nice

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Name: M$ke
    Place: Muhammad Ali born and trained, Kentucky Derby, NCAA Final Four location, Crosley portables, Falls City Brewing
    How did you get here? Serching for a mix done by Otis Funkmeyer
    Sentimental Records: Black Sabbath S/T, Led Zepplin II, & Evelyn King "Get Loose" - started my disco/boogie addiction
    Places you DIG: small cities, estate sales,goodwills, never the internet
    Other interests: classic mustangs, videography, being a dad, blueberries, and dance music from 79-93

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    My question is this.

I'm pretty sure the "new wave" of diggers was influenced heavily by guys like DJ Shadow, Rjd2, the documentary "Scratch" and all the independent label rappers a decade ago (I was) Seems like it's not as "trendy" any more to get into it. I personally know a good amount of 21 year olds that aren't listening to hip-hop but are listening to electronic/dub-step music. And for many, hip-hop was a natural segway into old funk and soul records. I feel like this crowd is largely gone now, and maybe a reason the board was slowing down? Even if some kids are mildly interested in old music that the forum isn't the hotbed of information like it used to be. Hell, like someone else said, I was literally jotting down artist names and album titles all the time cuz I wanted to hear something new.

I'm saying this, because obviously the ones that are posting their profiles here are an older crowd (30~40 and beyond) mainly. And I feel like the 20 year olds that are running around on their smart phones neither have the patience nor strong interest to invest their time in posting to a forum and learning something about music.

The forum ain't gonna be what it used to be. But it can still be a smaller, sustainable version. OR a more dynamic, different website dedicated to bringing in the newbies in the game and giving them enough incentive to post and actively engage with the other community members. I feel like the latter is especially important for any business.

Is this knowledge dropped?

Also, I feel the top 100 recs is a hint into what could keep bringing people back. Don't know how much people check the "Reviews" section, but I feel like it's an exhaustive list of records (too many). A list of "100 essential dusty discs" or a tab of some sort would spark interest (especially for the new headz). Hell, they might even wanna post about "which cities are best to find such records"? Then the old headz can pounce and have their day, and we'll at least be having some sort of dialogue. If the market as a whole is leaning in another direction, you basically have to create your own cult-following or do something really dynamic that turns heads. I think.

• yuichi said:
    The forum ain't gonna be what it used to be..

it can be better than it used to be.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    yuichi said:
    The forum ain't gonna be what it used to be..

it can be better than it used to be.

We need to put up a Craigslist ad. "Need ambitious Timmy Digalot, willing to put in hours of gentle ribbing to learn about old and new music"

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Name: Anna

Place: Currently Boston

How old is you? 36

How did you get here? Gary was talking mad shit!

Sentimental Records: Freestyle Fellowship 12"s, Early mo'Wax, double vinyl De La Soul is Dead, dj assault test presses

Places you DIG: Lately nowhere

Other interests: education, social justice, motherhood, southern rap

• mo.majidmo.majid 14 Posts
    mo.majid said:

Lemme take a time out from all this and say, Mo was one of the OG dudes in the game when I got into this. Much respect to my man. Good to see you still around. Do the knowledge.

Thanks Bro'.

I'm still around!.....

Mo

• Name: Charlie Hustle

Place: San Francisco

How old is you? just turned 34

How did you get here? Jinx74 made me read one of his rants that he had posted circa '02 or so, been lurking ever since.

Sentimental Records: Right now, Keith Sweat "Make it last forever" LP especially, "How Deep Is Your Love"

Places You Dig: sad to say, the only place I did regularly is my own shelves

Other Interests: Food, wine, beer, hiking/skiing

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    day said:
    mo.majid said:

Lemme take a time out from all this and say, Mo was one of the OG dudes in the game when I got into this. Much respect to my man. Good to see you still around. Do the knowledge.

Thanks Bro'.

I'm still around!.....

Mo

Mo!!!!

:face_melt:

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    Name: doisn a/k/a deeooh

Place: Munich Bavaria Backyards

How old is you? 29

How did you get here? ufff, long time ago. Million$ gave me the hint i guess, been lurking a lot ever since.

Sentimental Records: yeah, they fill up my bedroom too..

Places You Dig: B*** im broke! but whenever i come across some records, I diddle

Other Interests: Stunts, Blunts & HipHop, Good Music, Real People, Real Life, Traveling, Sports, Art, Political Backgrounds & Comedy

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Name: Adam AKA Musica Del Alma

Place: East Bay, CA

How old is you? 27

How did you get here? I think I first saw a Soulstrut eBay auction back in 2003 or 2004 (back in my broke ass Community College days when I???d check eBay from the public library computers in Downtown Oakland). I then started checking out the reviews on the front page occasionally. I never was even aware of the Forums until 2008 when I joined immediately and my life was forever ruined / made more specialer.

Sentimental Records:
    War ??? Galaxy 7???
    Tortilla Factory ??? S/T
    DJ Quik ??? Quik Is The Name
    DJ Cam ??? Mad Blunted Jazz
    Eddie Kendricks ??? People Hold On
    Novos Baianos ??? Acabou Chorare

Places You Dig: On Vacation

Other Interests: Tortas

• Name: Phil

Place: Bethel, CT

How old is you? 31

How did you get here? Trying to figure out a few songs on Soul Boulders 2.

Sentimental Records: Please Please Me, all my dad's hand-me-downs esp. Hot Rod Lincoln on 45, Songs In The Key of Life

Places You Dig: flea markets, local stores, Good Records NYC, Dusty Groove (at least once a year), little bit o' the Bay, various places on work trips as time allows (I'm in Alexandria this weekend--anywhere decent around without going all the way up to Joe's in Silver Spring?)

Other Interests: 60s American cars, antiques/collectibles, baseball (Yankees), my lovely wife

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    yuichi said:
    My question is this.

I'm pretty sure the "new wave" of diggers was influenced heavily by guys like DJ Shadow, Rjd2, the documentary "Scratch" and all the independent label rappers a decade ago (I was) Seems like it's not as "trendy" any more to get into it. I personally know a good amount of 21 year olds that aren't listening to hip-hop but are listening to electronic/dub-step music. And for many, hip-hop was a natural segway into old funk and soul records. I feel like this crowd is largely gone now, and maybe a reason the board was slowing down? Even if some kids are mildly interested in old music that the forum isn't the hotbed of information like it used to be. Hell, like someone else said, I was literally jotting down artist names and album titles all the time cuz I wanted to hear something new.

I'm saying this, because obviously the ones that are posting their profiles here are an older crowd (30~40 and beyond) mainly. And I feel like the 20 year olds that are running around on their smart phones neither have the patience nor strong interest to invest their time in posting to a forum and learning something about music.

The forum ain't gonna be what it used to be. But it can still be a smaller, sustainable version. OR a more dynamic, different website dedicated to bringing in the newbies in the game and giving them enough incentive to post and actively engage with the other community members. I feel like the latter is especially important for any business.

Is this knowledge dropped?

I think you've summed it up well.

I am someone who's in their late twenties and who fits in with the hip hop > interested in samples > then interested in funk category

But I just want to point out that we needn't lose hope in the the early and mid 20s folk. They may not have that strong connection to funk and soul like many of us do, but many of them are still very interested in records.

These kids are into disco, electro, techno, boogie, new wave, indie, punk, uk garage, DnB and house and all kinds of other genres that have come and gone between the 1980s and the late 1990s.

There aren't as many of them as of us, but there are a few and we try can make a home for them here if they chance upon the site. I think this can be achieved by a some more modern mixes.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Name: Parker

Place: Plymouth, England.

How old is you? 41

How did you get here? probably a yahoo search for "drumbreaks".

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    phatmoneysack said:

But I just want to point out that we needn't lose hope in the the early and mid 20s folk. They may not have that strong connection to funk and soul like many of us do, but many of them are still very interested in records.

These kids are into disco, electro, techno, boogie, new wave, indie, punk, uk garage, DnB and house and all kinds of other genres that have come and gone between the 1980s and the late 1990s.

There aren't as many of them as of us, but there are a few and we try can make a home for them here if they chance upon the site. I think this can be achieved by a some more modern mixes.

Well, I bump the new release thread about twice a week. Lots of great new records being put out at the moment imo, and next time I make a mix of dance music (ie electronic stuff) I'll submit it to Raj.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    sup