Old and New Headz ROLL CALL (Check-In)

12346»

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    willisread said:

Places you DIG: Union, Coconuts, RARE, east, universounds, etc...any of the 40 or so
    stores within 40 minutes.

:woah:

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    bassie said:
    Excellent location! Get in touch, we will do it up. Toronto is AMAZING in the warmer months/summer.
    I heard about Toronto in the summer. Isn't there a West Indian parade held annually in T.O?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yes, biggest one outside the islands. Last weekend in July.
    http://caribana.com/schedule.html

It is not what it used to be but worth seeing for sure.

Plenty of smaller festivals and, generally, clubs with the same flavour all over the city, too.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Name: Martin

Place: Copenhagen, DK

How old is you? 36

How did you get here? Random googling for something I don't remember led me to the mixes section 2003-2004ish. Lots of good mixes by Otis_Funkmeyer, Iron_Monkey etc. That led me to other parts of the site like the reviews (much respect to Motown67) and ISH. Didn't get around to checking the forums until sometime later.

Sentimental Records: Kraftwerk "Electric Cafe". First record I ever bought with my own money.

Places you DIG: Me nostrils.

Other interests: Programming, especially game and audio programming.

bassie said:
    Yes, biggest one outside the islands. Last weekend in July.
    http://caribana.com/schedule.html

It is not what it used to be but worth seeing for sure.

Plenty of smaller festivals and, generally, clubs with the same flavour all over the city, too.
    Yes...that's the festival. Might need to clear my schedule for that.

If possible, come for the week or week and a half before the actual weekend. A whole bunch of stuff goes on leading up the parade.

Duly noted...looking forward to July.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    hey dudes.

Name: A.K. all the live long day

Place: New york city, born and raised in Philadelphia

How old is you? last days of disco

How did you get here? coaxed by Tripledouble in 2008 even though he checked in here on my computer a lot in 2002 while staying with me in miami during his hobo quest. i visit less now that i have intentionally reduced my internet time of late.

Sentimental Records: the whole thing has always been sentimental for me. specifically though hmmm...i have 10 copies of cymande and i have a story for every record i own. been known to cry tears of lofty emotion and rapture whilst listening to good old liquid swords or neil young.

Places you DIG: i won't use the word dig. i just did. i would like to raid phylicia rashad's closet. i have a lot of records and so does my husband so i don't currently feel like i want loads more. a few here and there, now and then, special stuff only.

Other interests: i'm a yoga jock. other: family and good friends. transcendental meditation, cooking, vintage and antique clothing, tennis. i own a lot of shoes and i indulge in long drives, they soothe me.

Excellent.

July is looking forward to you.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    bassie said:

look at that sweet van!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Name: John

Place: Dry Shitties, WA (originally from HNL, aiming towards PDX)

How old is you? 41

How did you get here? the dissolving of the Crates mailing list

Sentimental Records: "Come On And Zoom" on A&M; the last 75 seconds of Chaka Khan's "I'm Every Woman"; Puff Tube's EMERGENCY PEANUT; The Spinners' "I"ll Be Around"

Places you DIG: my okole

Other interests: writing, food, German swinger videos, Flo from the Progressive commercials, the wealth of cash I have yet to get from the knowledge I have dropped online in the last 18 years

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Name: DJ Sheep, Chineazy-E, Long Dick Chinese Jr.

Place: Brisbane, Australia... WORLDWIDE... mainly Japan these days.

How old is you? Shazam it.

How did you get here? Googling Leo Sayer, but on the real, through the-breaks.com funnily enough back eons ago.

Sentimental Records: The ones with stickers on them from when I first started DJing... my doubles, battle routines... + the records with stories behind the way I dug 'em.

Places you DIG: WORLWIDE. And this is no joke. REAL HEADZ KNOW THE DEAL.

Other interests: Making money, roller coasters, pop culture, film, Japan.

Ko Nichiwa Bitches! (just like my man Chan)

http://www.facebook.com/mobbsheep -- that's where I'm at now.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Name: Marco

Place: Repping Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, NC for 38 years until I found Echo Park, Los Angeles in 2008.

How old is you? 42 in April. Hint hint!

How did you get here? Searching for tips on how to DJ raers. Sue me, it was 2001.

Sentimental Records: Honor Role: Judgment Day / Anonymous Cave 7"

Places you DIG: Lots places in when I lived in NC but nowadays I mostly hit up fellow DJs for likeminded tunes and haunt Ebay, Facebook and Musicstack. Occasionally I'll venture to RECORDS LA, PCC fleamarket and Rockaway.

Other interests: Graphic design, movies, vintage paperbacks, biking, condescension.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    mo.majid said:
    Name: Mo

Place: UK

How old is you? 41

How did you get here? Don't know!. Where's Soulman, Where's Danny?!.

Sentimental Records: All from the Wall!!.

Places you Dig: All over!.

Other interests: Marine Aquariums!.

Welcome Mo!
    Speaking of Wall Of Fame.

This is Dan from Jump Jump Music.
    Dan

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Name: Max (C'Bear is my middle name)

Place: San Diego

How did you get here?: Heard a latin funk/soul/rock radio show driving through Berkeley on the way to Mendocino. Small San Diego mind=blown. Ask some fellow nerds where I can find more info and someone says SoulStrut. Instantly hooked due to previously unrealized cross-genre appreciation kinship. Also, I kept running into (getting over-run by) mylatency at every record anything within 20 miles of me.

Places you DIG: Garage sales and Craigslist. San Diego Record Show. Family/friends on the hunt for me.

Sentimental Records: James Brown - Gettin Down to it (multiple songs from this were played at my wedding). Joe Bataan - Most (St. Latin's Day Massacre maybe?).

Other interests: Fine woodworking, vehicles of all kinds especially motorcycles and scooters, vintage hi-fi gear, table tennis, succulent pruning/cultivating, food, haircuts, off-roading, craft beer, vintage cocktails, whiskey/tequila in general, tools, bicycles, good TV, zenning, sailing, face to face commerce, dog parks, socializin, not socializin, and anything you're really excited about that's new to me. I'll never master anything, but can speak knowledgeably about most things.

Rank: 37, thread-killer, better in person, not as little-dude as you might expect but couldn't hang with full-timers.

bassie said:
    Excellent.

July is looking forward to you.

Loving it!

• Name: Brian

Place: Long Beach, Ca.

How old is you? 31

How did you get here? Can't remember. I think it was a reverse

Sentimental Records: Van Morrison "Astral Weeks", Jorge Ben "A T??bua De Esmeralda", and such.

Places you DIG: Buena Park Record Show, Yard Sales, Flea Markets. Even Amoeba / Fingerprints / Bagatelle. 8-/

Other interests: Making music, writing books, watching The Wire, critiquing commercials, eating food, sleeping till 12, interneting, etc.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Name: karlophone

Place: Upstate NY, NYC every few weekends, LA once in a while

How old is you? 42 (how did this happen, i feel like i was 31 last week)

How did you get here? probably via the breaks forum (which i found by accident somehow in '02)

Sentimental Records: soft spot for 45s in abc/dunhill sleeves, due to childhood memory. and anything with old 60s and 70s upstate NY chain store stickers on the shrink, like two guys, twin fair, Big N...

Places you DIG: i have some good friends who clean out houses and estates etc, theyve hipped me to most of my finds these past 5-7 years. currently going thru a bizarre collection that came out of a hoarders trailer home, it takes up 12 whole pallets of records stacked 6' high each. i also like shopping at jonnys in NYC.

Other interests: my girl, creating music, my work, skateboarding, riding bikes, collecting old books, comic books and other weird old stuff.

Rank: whatever having 40,000 LPs and 20,000 45s means. loony bin?

http://www.youtube.com/user/karlophone

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/karlophone2

itunes

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    Name: Jef

Place: the village of Holland

How old is you? 33

How did you get here? googling for breakz

Sentimental Records: the Flower Garden lp

Places you Dig: thrifts and fleas

Other interests: 8mm, slides and bricks.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Name: Gabriel

Place: San Francisco

How did you get here?: through DStill808 (has he been on here at all in the last year or so?) when we both still lived in San Diego. lurked until i met nearly the entire SD poasting population-- started posting.

Sentimental Records: Electric Harlow, At Action Park, most Ball & G albums, the Unseen (shh). goes on forever.

Places you DIG: Once in a blue moon I'll stroll through Groove Merchant. Wish I could find the time to dig more often.

Other interests: Fishing, Cars, Motorcycles, old furniture, basketball, baseball, this city.

Rank: none. haven't had a dj gig in over a year, i think i would fall asleep at the clurb if i tried to stay up that late anymore. i drink at home.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Name: Kyle

Place: Toronto

How did you get here?: I think I found this place after spending a bit of time on the dj shadow mailing list waaay back in 1999-2000. My family got a new 486 computer and I spent a lot of time staying up late trying to make beats and stuff with a tracker program called Buzz. I was sharing my (shitty) music online really early - back in the days of mp3.com. Being a bit of a Shadow fanboy, I was on the Influx mailing list, and got involved in a few of the mix-off happening. People swapping samples and creating tracks out of them. I remember John Book from those mix-offs, so he may have mentioned it... or I might have just stumbled on it trolling the interwebs for pr0n. Either way I've been a full time lurker and on-and-off poster for more than a decade.

Sentimental Records: Endtroducing. It's corny, but it was the album that made me look at music differently. It was music without instruments. But in terms of actual vinyl I have owned/found? I am a little dude when it comes to rekkids so I don't have like some unicorn records I finally found in a dollar bin or shit like that. But... It sounds weird... MFSB - Philadelphia Freedom. It was a record I remember my Dad having, and playing with when I was younger. I forgot about it until years later when I bought it and listened to it. At the time it was weird trying to imagine my Dad as a teenager listening to it, because me and my Dad weren't really close growing up. It was hard to think of him as a person and not just "dad".
    (read: I have daddy issues and my collection sucks ha!)

Places you DIG: I haven't really bought records in a while. But there are a lot of good stores around Toronto. My pedigree of diggeur is so low though that it affords me the ability to go through even the most tepid of crates and still find things I am stoked about. So I can pretty much shop for records anywhere lol

Other interests: I just bought a Maschine Mikro and am getting back into banging out some beats here and there. It is extremely satisfying. I have set a goal to have an album of stuff done by the end of the summer. Do albums happen anymore? Anyways I don't care I'm just having fun. lol

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    hihi

• Name: Kyle

Place: Toronto

How did you get here?: I think I found this place after spending a bit of time on the dj shadow mailing list waaay back in 1999-2000. My family got a new 486 computer and I spent a lot of time staying up late trying to make beats and stuff with a tracker program called Buzz. I was sharing my (shitty) music online really early - back in the days of mp3.com. Being a bit of a Shadow fanboy, I was on the Influx mailing list, and got involved in a few of the mix-off happening. People swapping samples and creating tracks out of them. I remember John Book from those mix-offs, so he may have mentioned it... or I might have just stumbled on it trolling the interwebs for pr0n. Either way I've been a full time lurker and on-and-off poster for more than a decade.

Sentimental Records: Endtroducing. It's corny, but it was the album that made me look at music differently. It was music without instruments. But in terms of actual vinyl I have owned/found? I am a little dude when it comes to rekkids so I don't have like some unicorn records I finally found in a dollar bin or shit like that. But... It sounds weird... MFSB - Philadelphia Freedom. It was a record I remember my Dad having, and playing with when I was younger. I forgot about it until years later when I bought it and listened to it. At the time it was weird trying to imagine my Dad as a teenager listening to it, because me and my Dad weren't really close growing up. It was hard to think of him as a person and not just "dad".
    (read: I have daddy issues and my collection sucks ha!)

Places you DIG: I haven't really bought records in a while. But there are a lot of good stores around Toronto. My pedigree of diggeur is so low though that it affords me the ability to go through even the most tepid of crates and still find things I am stoked about. So I can pretty much shop for records anywhere lol

Other interests: I just bought a Maschine Mikro and am getting back into banging out some beats here and there. It is extremely satisfying. I have set a goal to have an album of stuff done by the end of the summer. Do albums happen anymore? Anyways I don't care I'm just having fun. lol

I just joined here and the first thing I thought of was to check for old In/Flux members. Hi! I was on there for a while. Was part of the mixoffs too   I know this post was from way back, but thought i'd bump it.

Also yeah Hi. I'm Alland. Originally from LA, then SF, now living in Berlin. Retired DJ of 20 years (house and techno), still producing (house and brokenbeat and whatever TF i want since i'm old and don't need gigs now haha). I like long walks down the beach, handing out middle fingers like scantrons on test day, and pizza. 

If you're interested in my new musics, http://fullbleedsound.com has a bandcamp and all the social medias and whatnots. 

Just jumping on here to develop and commit further to my nerdery.

• Ancient lurker is a good rank. I'm an ancient lurker. Soulstrut used to have mixes on realaudio. That's how ancient I'm talking. Welcome. Post some music you're feeling or somethin'

• Givemesoul..I'm still around!!