waxidermy claims this board is "dead" "over" etc

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited February 2012 in Strut Central
they are talkin bout you man
4 pager
http://waxidermy.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40257

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    It's like 45 minutes in between posts on here lately. So yeah, there's that. But I just love how old regulars now contribute nothing here then go on another board and complain about the lack of content here. Somebody cue the post-modern graemlin plaese.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Record nerd BBS beef: What's realer than that?

• dayday 9,612 Posts

• HarveyCanal said:
    It's like 45 minutes in between posts on here lately. So yeah, there's that. But I just love how old regulars now contribute nothing here then go on another board and complain about the lack of content here. Somebody cue the post-modern graemlin plaese.

They're having a Chopped and Screwed discussion over there. You should get in on that shit!

TheKindCromang said:
    HarveyCanal said:

They're having a Chopped and Screwed discussion over there. You should get in on that shit!

No thanks.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    day said:

Holy fuck, that's creepy.

• HarveyCanal said:
    TheKindCromang said:
    HarveyCanal said:

No thanks.

Ask not what that message board can do for you, but what you can do for that message board.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    For a moment, I actually thought the "chicken songs" thread was started specifically to get a rise out of people on that Waxi thread, on some meta shit. Surprised it's taken so long for anyone to start a counter-thread, to be honest.

I don't really look at Waxi all that much, but there's always something interesting going on over there when I do. The level of record-nerdery on display is somewhat intimidating and not really conducive to participation for semi-lapsed record nerds like me, but otherwise the vibe seems fairly cordial. But all the same, I'm not sure I have the stomach to move to another country and learn a new language just for the purposes of talking shit.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I totally agree. I was just telling my wife how I fear the end is near.

It's extremely sad that this place is dieing a slow painful death seeing how lively it was 4/5 years a go.

I blame a few things: Facebook, Wordpress (the software that let any dipshit start a blog / web site --- the software that Waxidermy was "built" on) and changing times.

I am losing around $80 / month hosting the site at the moment and seeing the lack of activity and the anti-strut sentiment, it won't be long before I pull the plug ( I was hoping to make it to 15 years).

But yes. It might be time for me to move on.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    a lot of tenderberry wine gettin drunk over there.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Wow I was going to start a thread about this called PUSTULEDERMY but hey I didn't need to.

It sucks to see what has happened here. Youtube is also a big killer of music discussion. You used to have to be more involved/obsessed to rip music and post it. Now you can post up 6 YTs in a row with no commentary and you've contributed for the day.

So the strut has turned more into a social network of people who generally like certain things and it is competing with Facebook for people's attention and RR efforts.

If you shut it down it will be the strangest thing ever. Maybe it's time to try the RR/non RR forum thing? I always disliked the idea but you never know what will happen.

If you do shut it down though Raj, you do still owe me a dollar from a chance 2005 flea market meeting. You know, when you used to buy records %-P

• RAJ said:

It's extremely sad that this place is dieing a slow painful death seeing how lively it was 4/5 years a go.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    RAJ said:
    I totally agree. I was just telling my wife how I fear the end is near.

I blame a few things: Facebook, Wordpress (the software that let any dipshit start a blog / web site --- the software that Waxidermy was "built" on) and changing times.

I am losing around $80 / month hosting the site at the moment and seeing the lack of activity and the anti-strut sentiment, it won't be long before I pull the plug ( I was hoping to make it to 15 years).

But yes. It might be time for me to move on.

Wow. I have met so many amazing people here, people I consider friends and lucky to be able to say I have them in my life. To see the place that made it happen go is sad sad sad.

If you feel like it's done and not worth the financial loss, it makes sense to wrap it up.

But as for the anti-Strut sentiment? Fuck em. If folks have outgrown it or lost interest and moved on, that's fine. But as they say, haters gon hate, but that shouldn't determine it.

Even if Soul Strut went dark, I can't say I'd find myself on Waxidermy. Place is dryer than a Finnish prog rock lp cover art witch's teat imo. (no offense, Crink)

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    RAJ said:

Cool sob story, bro.

Soul Strut wasn't killed by the increased ease of self hosting and publishing, but by your own bloated sense of self importance and unwillingness to embrace these simpler means of communication. If there are cheaper and easier ways to run a message board 2012 then take advantage of them! You're not proving anything by jumping through a bunch of back end loops in the name of offering unwanted and often glitchy services. This is (was?) a website for creative people. All you had to do was give them a blank page and let them generate the content for you.

I suspect it costs Ed and Crink about $80 a year to host Waxidermy, precisely because they have no interest in wowing us with their mad programming skillz. It's successful because it's a community, not a tech demo.

Hey, Noz, you are a lifelong dick. Go back away.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Odd Future kind of fell off a bit didn't they? or did they get better? I can't tell.

noz said:
    RAJ said:

Cool sob story, bro.

Soul Strut wasn't killed by the increased ease of self hosting and publishing, but by your own bloated sense of self importance and unwillingness to embrace these simpler means of communication. If there are cheaper and easier ways to run a message board 2012 then take advantage of them! You're not proving anything by jumping through a bunch of back end loops in the name of offering unwanted and often glitchy services. This is (was?) a website for creative people. All you had to do was give them a blank page and let them generate the content for you.

I suspect it costs Ed and Crink about $80 a year to host Waxidermy, precisely because they have no interest in wowing us with their mad programming skillz. It's successful because it's a community, not a tech demo.

• I appreciate this place and hope it lives on. those hurling insults at raj and glorying in soulsturt's demise can eat a dick.

maybe we have gone past the point of no return, but perhaps it's not too late to revitalize. possibly posting that soul strut 100 will be a good re-entry into record talk.

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    I just got here and you guys are already thinking about closing shop! WTF! Lol

gomez80 said:
    I just got here and you guys are already thinking about closing shop! WTF! Lol

TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW TO LOG ON AND TALK ABOUT RECORDS!

:roar:

• crabmongerfunk said:
    I appreciate this place and hope it lives on. those hurling insults at raj and glorying in soulsturt's demise can eat a dick.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    All we need is some more DRAMEDY! This thread is promising.

NOZ BUMP!

• rootlesscosmo said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    I appreciate this place and hope it lives on. those hurling insults at raj and glorying in soulsturt's demise can eat a dick.

Agreed. While I did make one contribution to the Waxi thread, it merely noted how the activity on the Strut has slowed down. I didn't know it would escalate into full-blown Strut-bashing. Couldn't do that. Too many strong bonds were started here for me.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    no thanks.

conversation is a little slow. but the place ain't dead.

long live strut

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    if that thread served as a warning shot than it accomplished something at least
    I knew things had slowed down but i can't imagine this place would be gone
    i really enjoy the changes you've made RAJ...if there is anything we can do let us know
    but we should all start with more content and less attitude

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    pcmr said:
    but we should all start with more content and less attitude

I beg to differ. Attitude is what made this place great. I just think we need more content to back up the attitude. Being a prickish twerp (or is it twerpish prick?) just doesn't cut it.

• I've been on here a few years and don't post much, always seemed to get flamed someway or other so stopped, but that's my bad I should have carried on. I read this forum daily and enjoy it. I've run a soul forum since 1999 and it's been hosted at excoboard since 2005 and never cost me a penny www.essentialmodernsoul.co.nr

The graphic content is nothing like the level of the strut and doesn't need to be, the ads are free to members at the top, and it too has died off a little lately, maybe it's the way forums are going in this age, everyone's got their own forum on fb, but it's not the same thing so people come back and it's all fits and bursts.

This is in no way a plug, it's intended to say a big thanks to you for SoulStrut, and that there are readily available free ways to run an internet forum if you're prepared to compromise on the appearance I guess.

I for one will see it as a sad day if this forum closes and will make efforts to contribute more by not hesitating to type and press send,

Good luck

Sutty

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    @ Raj- I have no friends! Thats why I collect records, lol!