O-Dub Give the New Quasimoto 5 STARS OUT OF 5

4_LOVE4_LOVE 16 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
The Further Adventures of Lord Quas ***** (5/5) Madlib's favorite alter-ego Lives the Life we all desire Quasimoto is an artist better heard than described. How can anyone adequately articulate what Madlib is up to with his hemp 'n helium-fueled alter ego? You could say that his albums - both 2000's The Unseen and the new Lord Quas - are deliriously unpredictable, their pacing punctuated with jerky fits and starts, drifting at times into mellow moments, only to get yanked back into a funked-up flow. You could also try to explain how Madlib divides into different psychic bits, whether rapping as himself, as Quas, or commenting in the third person through the various found-sound dialogues he sprinkles in (Melvin Van Peebles, holla).None of this makes sense on paper, but on record, Quasimoto is Madlib at his most creative and compelling. He's Madlib's id running wild through the streets, free to chase weed sacks ("Greenery"), thick booty ("Fatbacks") and break beats ("Raw Addict Pt. 2") all the while fending off drunken panhandlers ("Bus Ride"), wanna-be MCs ("Another Demo Tape") and other "J.A.N. (Jive Ass Ni**az)." If not clear already, the album unfolds with such a breakneck spontaneity that if you blink, you've already missed something important. It's especially impressive that Madlib could pull off such a successful sequel considering his productivity over the intervening five years. As hard as he stamps his signature on Quasimoto, he never bogs you down in his mercurial transformations - whether in the dozens of loops he splashes together on the beats or all the doppelgangers he creates for himself. It's a testament to his talents and the album's pleasures that even at 26 tracks, you're left wanting to hear what's next, just to see what new surprise awaits around the corner. Oliver Wang

Comments

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Co-sign.

BTW, is Lord Quas "soft"?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

You'll catch a brick in the face if you ask him

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Trying to make up for not giving Madvillainy 5 stars, I see.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I didn't review Madvillainy.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Does he mention menages?

I didn't review Madvillainy.

Exactly.

Point being, of Madlib's recent work Madvillainy is the 5 star candidate.

Lord Quas is certainly good...but not THAT good.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    they were playing this in a record store the other day and i wanted to leave.

he tried to remake show & ag's "fat pockets" and butchered it.

Eh, I'm just glad to finally find something by Madlib I can listen to. Madvillainly rather bored me much as I liked the idea on paper.

He wasn't trying to remake the song in any serious fashion. Shit was funny as hell - "I like by backs fat, not flat."

Eh, I'm just glad to finally find something by Madlib I can listen to. Madvillainly rather bored me much as I liked the idea on paper.

To each our own...but I really can't comprehend how you can go from being bored by Madvillainy to being awed by Lord Quas.

• this record shits on madvillainy in every possible way.

shit is haphazardly cohesive in a way that is endlessly refreshing. dude should not bother trying to do anything else, ever.

That sounds horrible...

haphazardly cohesive in a way that is endlessly refreshing

No he didn't!

this record shits on madvillainy in every possible way.

Not even close.

• i stand by the fact that if 'quas' pitched down his vocals everyone would start talking shit (as usual).

I love how there are three different strands of hate going on here:

1) "Lord Quas rules, fuck Madvillainy."
    2) "Fuck Lord Quas, it's all about Madvillainy."
    3) "Fuck both those motherfuckers."

Soul Strut ruuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllleeeeesssssss.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I bet I'm the only "beatdigger" that thinks the first Madlib album was a shitastrophe. And believe me, I tried hard to get into it.

How dudes can praise this is beyond me. Weird-hop is weird-hop.

Herm

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    I gave it 5 out of 6 crowns which ae the stars/mics in German Juice magazine:

Als Lord Quas vor f??nf Jahren mit "The Unseen" zum ersten Mal sein Chillum aus dem Fenster h??ngte, war Madlib noch ein weitgehend unbekannter Produzent aus Oxnard bei Los Angeles. Indie-Fans sch??tzen Lootpack als klassisches Rap-Trio, das die drei Elemente hoch hielt und in jeden Rucksack passte. Das hier ein Mad Scientist das Terrain sondierte war nicht abzusehen. Ich selbst hielt "The Unseen" erstmal f??r einen Scherz; so einen Helium-Rap kann man sich nicht l??nger als zehn Minuten geben und dann redet er praktisch nur ??bers Kiffen. Tats??chlich lief die CD dann bei mir ??ber Monate auf Repeat, vor allem dann wenn ich genervt von Hip Hop eigentlich keinen Rap h??ren wollte. Auch Stones Throw waren von dem Erfolg ??berrascht, Quasimoto entwickelte sich zu dem Bestseller mit dem niemand gerechnet hatte. Entsprechend hoch sind die Erwartungen an das lange angek??ndigte zweite Lord Quas-Album. Zumal Madlibs ??berproduktion trotz "Shopping Bags" und "Madvillany" zuletzt immer ??fter kritische Fragen provozierte. Interessant und progressiv sind seine Projekte ja immer aber hat sich wirklich jemand seine letzten Jazz-und Broken Beat Platten mehr als einmal angeh??rt? Mit "The Further Adventures Of Lord Quas" wird einem das nicht passieren. Alle Hater k??nnen nach Hause gehen denn Madlib rult mit dieser Platte wie nie zuvor. Denn so gut seine Kollabos mit J Dilla und Doom auch sind, am besten ist er im Duett mit sich selbst. Der "Bad Charakter" Quasimoto ist und bleibt das Alter Ego mit dem er am besten kann. Auch weil er hinterher immer sagen kann "Ich war's ja nicht." Die halbe Platte ist voll von Sex and Violence und Alkohol und Drogen. Aber da Quasimoto kein fieser M??pp ist sondern irgendwie niedlich, bedeutet das Genuss ohne Reue. "I like my asses fat not flat" - wer tut das nicht? Und dann ist da dieser coole Rap Stuff ??ber Rap ("Rapcats Pt.3") und Platten diggen ("Raw Addict Pt.2") von dem Quasimoto-Fans nie genug kriegen k??nnen. "Damn I gotta get my shit tighter" sagt Madlib ??ber Madlib f??gt dann aber hinzu "I remember when I was a kid..shit I'm still a kid". Und genau das ist Quasimoto, ein Rap-Kind das nicht Erwachsen werden will. Das kaum eines der 27 (!) St??cke l??nger als drei Minuten ist, gibt eine Ahnung von dem musikalischen Overload der hier stattfindet. Madlib hat sich seine schr??gsten und seine besten Beats f??r dies Platte aufgehoben. ??berdicht wie eine Bomb Squad-Produktion aber mit losen Enden. Am liebsten h??tte ich jetzt zwei Tage frei um mich ganz in diesem Kaleidoskop aus Beats und Rhymes zu verlieren.

• to each his own, lrp - but madvillain sounded like putting a triangle in the moon hole on the 'concentration' board.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Is this officially out? I need to cop.

I love how there are three different strands of hate going on here:

1) "Lord Quas rules, fuck Madvillainy."
    2) "Fuck Lord Quas, it's all about Madvillainy."
    3) "Fuck both those motherfuckers."

Soul Strut ruuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllleeeeesssssss.

On its own 5 out of 5 is such a strong statement...and it goes to Lord Quas???

Beyond Madvillainy, I think say T.I.'s Urban Legend is more deserving of such acclaim...and that's only like a 3.5 stars out of 5 album.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

He wasn't trying to remake the song in any serious fashion. Shit was funny as hell - "I like by backs fat, not flat."

madlib "in the lab"

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Madvillain kinda sucked. It had a couple dope songs like 5. As for Quasimoto I think he is wack as an MC. His beats arent that dope either. OVERRATED. -H_Fiend

I can just hear a whole buncha fools slapping their heads.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I bet I'm the only "beatdigger" that thinks the first Madlib album was a shitastrophe. And believe me, I tried hard to get into it.

How dudes can praise this is beyond me. Weird-hop is weird-hop.

Herm

I'm with you on this one...I tried TRIED to like it...the beats were cool but I wasn't feelin it at all. The only thing I semi-liked was the Hittin Hooks 7"

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

1) "Lord Quas rules."
    2) "it's all about Madvillainy."

RAH RAH RAH BATCHES!! Yeah I know I know... takethatshittostonesthrow.com!!!

that was sarcasm, Quas has nothin' but love for me, but he would do that though. He'll punch an old lady in the chest.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    He'll punch an old lady in the chest.

yeah, but does that make him hard or shoft?

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    haphazardly cohesive in a way that is endlessly refreshing

No he didn't!

That sounds like me

He'll punch an old lady in the chest.

yeah, but does that make him hard or shoft?

Very good question, indeed.

• haphazardly cohesive in a way that is endlessly chill[/b]

No he didn't!

That sounds like me

I agree, Schnipper.