O-Dub Give the New Quasimoto 5 STARS OUT OF 5

Comments

• I cant stand the "quasimoto" gimmick at all... no matter how great the beats are, the voice and rhyme style just grates on my last nerve....

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    this record shits on madvillainy in every possible way.

shit is haphazardly cohesive in a way that is endlessly refreshing. dude should not bother trying to do anything else, ever.

Is the moon bleeding? Cause this post is surely a sign of the apocalypse.

To be honest, I liked the beats on the first one but the voice thing I could'nt get with. I haven't heard the new one yet but i'm sure it's dope. I'll check it out when it drops.

• HAZE1HAZE1 40 Posts
    i liked the first quas's beats alot. Im into that jazzy breakbeat hip hop shit. in this video he talks about the first one, and i think that this album incorporated beats leftover from the first one. Lord quas was created by lib locking himself in a studio with an 1/8 of mush, and not liking the way his voice sounded when he rhymed. He then pitched that shit up and devised lord quas. Pretty unique shit if u ask me. No one else had done anything like that until that. So mad props even though quas does get a little old sometimes. i only heard a few tracks off the album yet, but i have the advance just havent had time to check it out.
    http://homepage.mac.com/hookieandbaba/stonesthrow_nrk.wmv

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Melo-D dropped a track on 93.5 that I haven't heard before and I thought it was dope. I'm going to get this...it'll be entertaining

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    He then pitched that shit up and devised lord quas. Pretty unique shit if u ask me. No one else had done anything like that until that.

ahem...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    He then pitched that shit up and devised lord quas. Pretty unique shit if u ask me. No one else had done anything like that until that.

ahem...
    "DIAMOND DOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSS!!!!!"

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    He then pitched that shit up and devised lord quas. Pretty UNICRON[/b] shit if u ask me. No one else had done anything like that until that.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I haven't heard it but I must say that I like Oliver's eloquent writing style. It makes me drip with anticipation for the day 5 years from now I can pick it up for $1 at the used CD spot.

One thing that I noticed was lacking was a mention (unless he's changed his style) that he cleans up nothing as far as samples go, thus layering noise upon noise 5 times over. It creates an interesting reverse-dolby effect, like it's 3/4 music and 1/4 hiss.

• REMODEREMODE 91 Posts
    I really liked the first Quasimoto but I think the new one is complete crap.I only like like 2 cuts.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I don't like to hear madlib rap

I like to hear madlib produce

I find that high pitched shit is just stupid and a halfass attempt to give character to a boring ass rapper. I haven't heard this new shit but I'm suspect of it

• rookrook 357 Posts
    TAYZIMOTO:

whos heard that shit..

hahaha quas is nice, villains nice, madlib nice, and theyre all pretty shitty.

thats why there good

• HAZE1HAZE1 40 Posts

ahem...
    got me there.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i thought quas's "the unseen" was a great album, but perhaps it is a concept that shouldn't have been taken any further than one album. just like i don't think another madvillian album would be quite as memorable as the first.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Madvillainy>>>Champion Sound>>>Lord Quas

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Here's the reason I like the Quas stuff...and I don't expect anyone else to agree, it's just an opinion, ok?

It's creative and unpredictable and all over the place but for some reason, it manages to work despite that lack of structure and focus. It's like watching a grafitti artist putting together an elaborate piece on the wall, but not in linear order so that you get to see these ideas flash up but you never see the final image completed. In this case, what makes it compelling isn't so much the result but rather, the process.

I can respect that other people would find this kind of album unlistenable for a variety of reasons: you don't like Quasi's voice, you're not a fan of Madlib's beats, you don't like how everything here sounds like it was fired out of a shotgun. For me, it works and works well and I'm always left wanting to hear more just because I want to see what he pulls out next.

And keep in mind: I'm really entirely bored of most of what Madlib puts out these days: Madvillainy was snoozy to me as was Jaylib and don't even mention YNQ to me. But the Quasimoto album is a fun ride, precisely because it doesn't take itself too seriously.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    havent heard the new quas but soemtimes LP's are better listened to in its entirety as opposed to as singles. i thought the madvillian album sounded decent as an album but i couldnt really find one single that was really good. feel me?

-rich

• I haven't heard it but I must say that I like Oliver's eloquent writing style. It makes me drip with anticipation for the day 5 years from now I can pick it up for $1 at the used CD spot.

Left hand ,meet compliment

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I haven't heard it but I must say that I like Oliver's eloquent writing style. It makes me drip with anticipation for the day 5 years from now I can pick it up for $1 at the used CD spot.

Left hand ,meet compliment

Haha... if you're saying it's a backhanded compliment I didn't mean for the latter to reflect on O-Wizzle's writing style. I just don't buy new CDs anymore, the best I do is pick up shit occasionally used. And it takes a few years for new shit to filter down... doesn't matter what it is, I'll wait.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    what's this review from anyways? CONTEXT, PEOPLES!

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    URB

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Alkaholiks - WLIX from "Coast II Coast." That's my shit right there.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I know this is an old post, but I wanted to bring it up because I finally bought my copy. I don't have a press contact for Stones Throw (anyone?), and while I had many chances to download it, I waited. I want to get the vinyl, but I went for the CD for now. Bought it at Best Buy. I know, not a mom and pop store but there are no mom & pop stores here. Spokane, yes. Tri-Shitties, no.

Before I even opened up the CD, I looked at the cover. References to Zappa and Wild Man Fischer. The building is somewhat The World Is A Ghetto[/b]-ish. As for the bird above Wild Man Fischer's head, what cover is that from? It reminded me briefly of Osibisa's covers, but that's not an elephant. I know I've seen it though. With all of that in mind, how many hip-hop albums do you know that would reference Wild Man Fischer, in ANY form? I awaited the sample on the album.

O-Dub giving this album 5 stars made me curious, because he's not exactly one who gives praise that easily, we all know this.

I listened to this CD while driving, so I haven't given it a concentrated listen, but I love it. Over at OKP, someone said it was "too weird", but what's wrong with that? I find it odd that for a music that used to be about creativity of the highest level, that need to go "over the edge" is shunned upon these days. If Mike Jones' fronts aren't shiny enough, you'll see a scroll at the bottom of E! News.

I liked it, and I understand, partially because I was doing the same shit 12 years ago. Someone might say "oh no, here's Book with his ego again, always claiming he did shit first", but had I kept up at the pace I was at between 1992-1995 (I released 11 albums in that time period), who knows. Madlib does the funky stuff, he does the great jazzy YNQ hidden-albums-in-the-back-of-your-uncle's-closet thing very well, he is blessed with having access to the Blue Note vaults, and he isn't afraid to go nuts. He did it before Madlib became MADLIB, and for me that's what made me want to listen. There was an EP project he was doing a few years before YNQ, and I had asked Egon if I could do a remix. I never got a reply back, but it would've been cool to see what I could've created out of the elements I would have been given.

When YNQ came out with the album, that's the moment I knew he was going to be someone to watch. It was unconventional, as unconventional as imagining a horse in Dr. Octagon's operating room, and yet he did it with the same hip-hop sensibility that continues to this day. It may be "old" and "traditional" credentials, but those credentials aren't dead. Kind of like the tools in how we create music. We can go all Pro Tools, or we can use hardware, or we can get some shoyu buckets and a pot lid and compress the shit out of it until we have some funk. It is simply creativity at work, beyond the expectations, or perhaps limitations, of what this music is. Because it is so different, it will appeal to those who have a fondness for the different. That may mean it will appeal to those outside of hip-hop circles. If it reaches them, hopefully a portion of them will seek out the Madlib legacy that is readily available.

Hearing it honestly makes me want to make that kind of music again, yet of course now I would be jumping on the Madlib bandwagon.

I eagerly await anything that he plans on doing next, regardless of the identity or path he chooses to walk on.

(EDIT: I also picked up the new Z-Trip as well.)

• jaybreeziejaybreezie 161 Posts
    As for the bird above Wild Man Fischer's head, what cover is that from? It reminded me briefly of Osibisa's covers, but that's not an elephant. I know I've seen it though.

I think that's from La Planete Sauvage as well.

I'm glad this thread re-surfaced as I just got mine yesterday. Only one listen through, but I think I can see the potential O-Dub is talking about. It's all over the place but I think once I digest it a little more, the coherent "all over the placeness" will sink in. I'm in the "the first one was dope and I'm not bothered by his voice" camp, so I think the more I listen to this one the more I'll dig it as well.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I like this record a lot

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I like this record a lot

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    He then pitched that shit up and devised lord quas. Pretty UNICRON[/b] shit if u ask me. No one else had done anything like that until that.
    Whoa, I completely forgot about Del's high pitched alter ego, thanks for bringing that up. You're right, he was doing the split personality thing on "No Need For Alarm" LP, and I think I've got a Swollen Members 12", where he does the Unicron character as well. And "No Need???" was way before Quas was released (although the recordings might be just as old). Just goes to show that Del shouldn't be slept on.

Still, I'm a Quasimoto fan too, and I'm looking forward to hearing the new adventures.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I like this record a lot

I liked The Unseen a lot too.

• I like this record

After a good listen I'm feeling this one, or at least a good half of it or so.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    the chipmunks and some Del alterego are the only pitched up rapping you can think of???

dudes the jam is called "The Bumblebee Rap'

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    the chipmunks and some Del alterego are the only pitched up rapping you can think of???

dudes the jam is called "The Bumblebee Rap'

Let's not forget Kwame, who did a lot of that on his albums. Slick Rick did a few, but Kwame always did a nice job with the ones he did. "Nastee" is a perfect example.