O-Dub Give the New Quasimoto 5 STARS OUT OF 5

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I find it odd that for a music that used to be about creativity of the highest level, that need to go "over the edge" is shunned upon these days. If Mike Jones' fronts aren't shiny enough, you'll see a scroll at the bottom of E! News.

can you elaborate on this?

playing a record at half speed and repeating your phone number is easily as creative and over the edge as shifting your voice up to double speed and not quantizing.

• "The Bumblebee Rap'

"I'm A Bad Motherfucker...buzzzzzzzzz"

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I find it odd that for a music that used to be about creativity of the highest level, that need to go "over the edge" is shunned upon these days. If Mike Jones' fronts aren't shiny enough, you'll see a scroll at the bottom of E! News.

No, I felt I explained myself quite well.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I didn't understand what you were talking about either

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Madlib production is bananas but the Quas rhymes are pedestrian.
    YNQ is my shit.
    Madvillan is decent.
    Jaylib is decent.
    I can listen to the last two albums when I clean the house.
    Im going to pause on the new album.Ill probably purchase the instramental version if there is one.
    "Yo Dre, Stick to Producin."

Madlib production is bananas but the Quas rhymes are pedestrian.

What, exactly, were you expecting--the second coming of Rakim?

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

He's saying that the "downfall of rap" is being brought about by the less than finely polished platinum fronts of Mike Jones. Duh.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    the chipmunks and some Del alterego are the only pitched up rapping you can think of???

dudes the jam is called "The Bumblebee Rap'

Let's not forget Kwame, who did a lot of that on his albums. Slick Rick did a few, but Kwame always did a nice job with the ones he did. "Nastee" is a perfect example.

mothefuckers didn't need pitch-changing software to do this shit in '83.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

RAMMELLZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

RAMMELLZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    would have loved to see the producing/supposed battle between rammelleze + john-michel in the "basquiat" movie.

the chipmunks and some Del alterego are the only pitched up rapping you can think of???

dudes the jam is called "The Bumblebee Rap'

Let's not forget Kwame, who did a lot of that on his albums. Slick Rick did a few, but Kwame always did a nice job with the ones he did. "Nastee" is a perfect example.

Do you get my drift?

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    here's my so called review, more rambling from taza

The Word On Lord Quas[/b]

Right about now people are arguing about the new Quasimoto LP, the Further Adventures of Lord Quas, on the web. Is it too abstract? Is it wack? Oh, it's not as good as the first one, Quas' voice sounds funny,etc. Every one has their own tastes, and to each their own, but I think there are a bunch of Madlib haters who rejoice with their mugs of hateraid and talk a gang of shit whenever a Madlib album drops. I'm no Madlib dick rider, but I do recognize him as a major component, defining changing boundaries, being an innovator, and playing abstract, much like Cecil Taylor, Ornette Coleman, and many other Jazz greats. They took Jazz, pushed it, bent it, and twisted it all around. Yet it was still Jazz because the blues was there, theoretically, and in feel.

Hip Hop is like that. There are basic rules that define it as hip hop yet it has innovated through time, expanding, changing in sound and content. The spontaneous and juxtaposed elements open up the possibilities, much like jazz, to discover something, sometimes, accidentally. It's as simple as playing a scale different or adding a bhangra sample to a beat, and as complex as a conceptual art piece, or a Charlie Parker solo. But something holds onto it. It hasn't dissipated completely. It comes back to it's original form, not losing it's genre characteristics, the blues or the beat. Like a work of conceptual or modern art. The work itself may not be aesthetically pleasing, but what it says, the idea that it represents, is what is important.

The new Quas is mad nice. It gets the official tazacacao badge of honor for being aesthetically pleasing and conceptual as well, and for being an overall fun listen. It has highly entertaining samples and hilarious lyrics. Madlib is a highly underrated MC. The lyrics ring true to me. Taking street life and bringing all the odd and funny things to light. I've seen Quas do some ill shit in real life. He's a hard cat. His world is kind of surreal and raw. Some people are like that. It's like they run on a different frequency than most. A different wavelength. Funny guy, none the less.

This album is an instant classic, like The Unseen, Madvillainy, and Soundpieces: Da Antidote. Solid Stones Throw. Peanut Butter Wolf holds it down nicely.

taza_one

professor of sight and sound[/b]

• BigBBigB 30 Posts
    havent heard the new quas but soemtimes LP's are better listened to in its entirety as opposed to as singles.

That's a problem with alot of hip-hop, the albums don't hold up as a whole. That's one of the reasons the new Quasimoto is dope - it's a real album, not just a bunch of wannabe singles strung together with skits.

I had the Unseen, sold it and got the instrumentals. This new one, the vocals and production is all just part of the whole, and I wouldn't seperate them. I don't know what some people's criteria is, but Madlib's rhymes are funny, I could give a shit about the flow - that's not why anyone should listen to his stuff. If you like out-there sounds, subjects and structures that are all part of a unique aesthetic, get it. Otherwise go get that new T.I. This is art, not commerce.

A brother blew up my bathroom tryin to get relief / He didn't know I rubbed my toilet paper with poison ivy leaf

See what I'm saying - art! haha

havent heard the new quas but soemtimes LP's are better listened to in its entirety as opposed to as singles.

That's a problem with alot of hip-hop, the albums don't hold up as a whole. That's one of the reasons the new Quasimoto is dope - it's a real album, not just a bunch of wannabe singles strung together with skits.

I had the Unseen, sold it and got the instrumentals. This new one, the vocals and production is all just part of the whole, and I wouldn't seperate them. I don't know what some people's criteria is, but Madlib's rhymes are funny, I could give a shit about the flow - that's not why anyone should listen to his stuff. If you like out-there sounds, subjects and structures that are all part of a unique aesthetic, get it. Otherwise go get that new T.I. This is art, not commerce.

A brother blew up my bathroom tryin to get relief / He didn't know I rubbed my toilet paper with poison ivy leaf

See what I'm saying - art! haha

Ignore the lyrical flow? Tell me you could listen to him rhyme a full album with someone elses production.Hell no. One line cant prove his effectiveness.
    He does say witty things here and there,but cmon son,hes no DEL,Kool Keith,or top five "abstract content,freeform" MCs.
    DONT GET IT TWISTED!!!

Ignore the lyrical flow? Tell me you could listen to him rhyme a full album with someone elses production.Hell no. One line cant prove his effectiveness.
    He does say witty things here and there,but cmon son,hes no DEL,Kool Keith,or top five "abstract content,freeform" MCs.
    DONT GET IT TWISTED!!!

---

---

• This album is an instant classic, like The Unseen, Madvillainy, and Soundpieces: Da Antidote. Solid Stones Throw. Peanut Butter Wolf holds it down nicely.

taza_one

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

The good tracks are all under 2 minutes. Is that what makes it experimental?

This is a great album if you have A.D.D.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i gotta say there should be more people in music(regardless of genre) that do things in the vein of madlib, which is making music that sounds like outta your bedroom (not saying this in a negative connotation at all, see cody chestnut's "headphone masterpiece"). What i like most about madlib is maybe what makes a lot of people not like him, is that it seems he doesnt try too hard...he just outputs whats on his mind and its done. now im not gonna say i love everything by madlib, but i like a lot of it.

i think one of the knocks against him was that ynq album, about how he wasnt a seasoned musician at all and just got some instruments and did stuff with it. oooh the nerve. while i dont listen it often, i totally respect that concept in spirit, its like punk origins, and while you can tell it doesnt sound like some musician trained for years and years, it has something u can appreciate on its own terms. sometimes i want to watch people paint that never touched a paint brush before.

one thing i admire bout him is the amount of his output.let me explain why (even though if u feel its just more of an allowance for more filler sheit) i mean if you want to make figures about it, say you record 50 beats, and only 7 are really good but u release them all...thats still 7 nice beats. i think thats better than recording 12 beats and spending 3 years trying to figure out which one is best before releasing that 1 beat to the public. there are so many graphic artists that operate the same way. i mean its like a perverted form of procrastination...you dont want to turn to an axl rose haha yeah i went there. no but for real, for me personally when i hear his albums its like i jumped into his room and snagged some of his demo tapes and i get to hear the sheit unpolished (whether it really was or not). but to each their own right. currently i like the first quas better.

This album is an instant classic, like The Unseen, Madvillainy, and Soundpieces: Da Antidote. Solid Stones Throw. Peanut Butter Wolf holds it down nicely.

taza_one

Where does the Lootpack stuff rank amongst Madlib's output?

• If you like out-there sounds, subjects and structures that are all part of a unique aesthetic, get it. Otherwise go get that new T.I. This is art, not commerce.

So I bought both the TI and the Quas lp's...so which do I like: Art, Commerce, or both?

I bet MAdlib wouldn't mind doing a lil' commerce with this new lp...

Where does the Lootpack stuff rank amongst Madlib's output?

That sh!t is garbage. Quasimoto is really the only quality material he's ever put out.

If you like out-there sounds, subjects and structures that are all part of a unique aesthetic, get it. Otherwise go get that new T.I. This is art, not commerce.

So I bought both the TI and the Quas lp's...so which do I like: Art, Commerce, or both?

I bet MAdlib wouldn't mind doing a lil' commerce with this new lp...

This art vs. commerce stuff is hilarious. Hopefully at some point in the future--possibly as soon as when he reaches eighth grade--dude will join the rest of us in what I like to call "the real world".

Thanx,but do like quas' rhymes?

Thanx,but do like quas' rhymes?

I like them within the Quasimoto concept; it's only if you're looking for him to come like Rakim that you're going to be disappointed.

• BigBBigB 30 Posts

DONT GET IT TWISTED!!!

guess it went over yr head...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Right about now people are arguing about the new Quasimoto LP, the Further Adventures of Lord Quas, on the web. Is it too abstract?

(this is not neccessarily directed at you taza) i've always been baffled by the argument that if you don't enjoy so called abstract or experimental music that you must be somehow offended by or not understanding of the experimental nature of the work. and thus an environment is created where anything that the artist declares to be "experimental" is somehow immune to criticism.

there's no such thing as "too" experimental. there is such a thing as an experiment gone wrong. i distinctly remember being told that I "just don't understand" I>electric circus/I> when it came out. No, I understand perfectly what he was trying to do. But I also feel that he failed. i've listened to enough (good) experimental music to make the distinction.

That said, I don't like quasimoto, i like the concept and I guess lib did it as well as you could possibly execute it, but there'd never be a point in my life that i would want to listen to it. it's like what hansel says about sting in zoolander - "i don't really listen to his music, but i like the fact he's making it"

true dat, noz It's kind of rediculous to catch feelings over this. It's like being mad cause someone dosn't like the feel of the shoes, or cause they think their soup is too hot.

I'm a shitty writer. I'll be the first to admit that, so to clarify what I meant: I was trying to simplify the type of arguments we hear time and time again which are based in opinion that everyone is intitled to. Not to discredit them. I was also bringing to light that I think some people enjoy talking mad shit for no good reason. Just for the fun of talking shit. myself included

there is such a thing as an experiment gone wrong

Haha! Something called experimental or abstract, when it should be called a mess.

My computer makes coffee