Boardwalk Empire

Comments

• also, what becomes of Richard now?

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    cookbook said:
    really enjoyed the finale. i feel s2 was even better than 1. are they already signed on for a s3?

Yes there will be a third season. Terence Winter talks about it here (spoilers if you havent seen the finale)

Boardwalk Showrunner Explains Shocking Finale, Season 3

I really liked the finale - wasn't as surprised by jimmy's demise, I was sure he was going to kill his mother at some point in this episode. There were some really great lines as well.

AR to Nucky: 'Flip a coin. When it's in the air, you'll know which side you're hoping for.'

I think AR and Nucky will be dealing with Meyer Luciano and Al Capone on increasingly unpleasant terms, although this would be historically inaccurate.

The big wtf moment for me was margaret transferring Nuckys life savings to the church - right after their wedding? Nucky is going to have to smoke or coerce a priest methinks.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Cool finale I guess.

Where do the NY gangsters stand vis-a-vis Nucky now? What was the point of his calling AR for the OK to off Manny if he didn't intend to do it? I guess he teams with Manny now and goes against the NY kids? But why exactly?

To take the suspicion off himself in the death of Jimmy? If he made it seem that he wants Manny dead, then perhaps he won't be suspected of being the one who killed Jimmy, thus maybe it seems he isn't the one selling the Irish Whiskey...isn't Jimmy the only one who brought up the theory that it was Nucky flooding the town with it?

yeah but who else COULD it be? AR is the smartest dude on the show; you don't think he'll figure out where the whiskey is coming from, esp. with Jimmy gone and Nucky no longer in danger of going away?

• right after Nucky and Maggie have the talk and Maggie basically appears to rebuff him, the very next shot is Maggie alone in the basement and suddenly hears a noise.

that was ill. the audience was intended to think she was about to be offed by Nucky (or his Irish dude) and it totally worked on me; I fell for it for a second. great sequence.

re: Maggie deeding the land to the church, I'm just not that moved by the whole thing. It was clever and made me chuckle for a second but I don't see how this is going to realistically have long-term repercussions. That priest seems like he'd be pretty easy to scare into re-deeding the church back to Nucky.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I thought deeding over the land was just a sign of the new relationship between the two. They were on the brink, then they got married, but she knows that Nucky is bad, and so she is trying to atone for him by giving all this money and property to the church. She can see through him now, and isn't willing to accept what he's doing in a passive aggressive way.

• motown67 said:
    I thought deeding over the land was just a sign of the new relationship between the two. They were on the brink, then they got married, but she knows that Nucky is bad, and so she is trying to atone for him by giving all this money and property to the church. She can see through him now, and isn't willing to accept what he's doing in a passive aggressive way.

right.

but the whole juxtaposition between Nucky and the aldermen celebrating out on the planned highway land, and Maggie deeding the land to the church, looked like it was intended to be some sort of "oh shit" moment that was gonna change everything next season (coming as it did in the final minute of the season).

in reality, Nucky should be able to strongarm the land back in about 5 minutes. what's the priest gonna do?

• rootlesscosmo said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Cool finale I guess.

Where do the NY gangsters stand vis-a-vis Nucky now? What was the point of his calling AR for the OK to off Manny if he didn't intend to do it? I guess he teams with Manny now and goes against the NY kids? But why exactly?

To take the suspicion off himself in the death of Jimmy? If he made it seem that he wants Manny dead, then perhaps he won't be suspected of being the one who killed Jimmy, thus maybe it seems he isn't the one selling the Irish Whiskey...isn't Jimmy the only one who brought up the theory that it was Nucky flooding the town with it?

yeah but who else COULD it be? AR is the smartest dude on the show; you don't think he'll figure out where the whiskey is coming from, esp. with Jimmy gone and Nucky no longer in danger of going away?

true, you're right...plus Jimmy was gummin' up the works and now with Jimmy gone and the new heroin racket, whiskey really isn't as big of concern to them now I suppose.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Damn that sucks. I guess I'm the only one that cared more about Jimmy than Enoch. Sort of ruins the show for me now. I'll watch I guess but it's not the same.

rootlesscosmo said:
    motown67 said:

right.

but the whole juxtaposition between Nucky and the aldermen celebrating out on the planned highway land, and Maggie deeding the land to the church, looked like it was intended to be some sort of "oh shit" moment that was gonna change everything next season (coming as it did in the final minute of the season).

in reality, Nucky should be able to strongarm the land back in about 5 minutes. what's the priest gonna do?

True, but I took it more as a moral play. Here's the dichotomy between Nucky and all his friends drinking it up over their riches, and the wife quietly sitting at home trying to teach him a lesson. It doesn't matter that the priest could be forced to give the land back, it's about the message and characters.

• ost said:
    Damn that sucks. I guess I'm the only one that cared more about Jimmy than Enoch. Sort of ruins the show for me now. I'll watch I guess but it's not the same.

you're most definitely not alone; I've heard this sentiment expressed by a lot of fans.

HBO relishes their daring reputation ("they'll kill off almost any main character!"), but this bidness with Jimym getting offed may be a bridge too far. the only halfway-close corollary was Stringer Bell, but at the end of the day the Wire didn't revolve around him (though many viewers' attachment to the Wire apparently did).

About half of BE has been "about" Jimmy and his relationship with Nucky (the other half being Nucky's relationship with Maggie; these are broad strokes of course). Now that Jimmy's gone, what's next? sure there's a TON of great bit players (I could watch AR, Meir and Lucky plotting for hours; love the dialogue and the contrasting styles/temperments/approaches that each one of those dudes has), but, arguably, there's no longer a compelling overarching story without Jimmy.

The NY guys move heroin into AC and go to war with Nucky? Chalky continues to tit-for-tat with the Klan? The feds catch up with Van Alden in Illinois? Manny vs. Waxy Pt. II? Nucky argues with his wife?

There'll be some good action, but not sure these are storylines that have much weight.

I have to say that I think Chalky is the unsung hero of the show. The scene where he had dinner with his family and the new boyfriend where he talked about field vs. house n*****s had me rolling, plus the strike, etc. They need more Chalky.

As for next season, who says they don't introduce some new characters to make up for Jimmy's death and Van Alden running off?

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Now that Jimmy's gone, what's next? sure there's a TON of great bit players (I could watch AR, Meir and Lucky plotting for hours; love the dialogue and the contrasting styles/temperments/approaches that each one of those dudes has), but, arguably, there's no longer a compelling overarching story without Jimmy.

The NY guys move heroin into AC and go to war with Nucky? Chalky continues to tit-for-tat with the Klan? The feds catch up with Van Alden in Illinois? Manny vs. Waxy Pt. II? Nucky argues with his wife?

There'll be some good action, but not sure these are storylines that have much weight.

I have faith. I'm sure they'll be introducing some excellent new characters. For instance, I thought Mannie was a terrific minor character in S2 - his Odessa speech in the finale was a great moment, and the butchering steez was pretty unsettling.
    The IRA thing might also rear its head in S3.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I'm very sad about Jimmy, who I finally got a grasp on in the last few episodes and began to feel some empathy for.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The Nucky / Jimmy storyline was what B.E. has been about for me, so I'm not sure how they're going to come back from this, as Nucky is essentially a pretty boring character. I don't really care about him, his 'wife', or any of that story arc.
    Not sure who's left in Atlantic City that is remotely interesting to be honest. Maybe Chalky, but that's mainly down to Michael Kenneth Williams being a badass. But he's not going to be anything more than a bit player is he.

• Yeah, can't believe they killed off Jimmy. Should be interesting to see where series 3 goes........loved the last scene of series 2 though when Margeret signed the deeds over to the church

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Breakdown of Season 2 VFX. It really is amazing what they can do.

• geeked for the new season.

• who peeped? I am watching on demand tonight.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    who peeped? I am watching on demand tonight.

Meh....couple of murders.....Knucky's woman might be the most annoying character in TV history....seemed like a weak season opener imo.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    It was a pretty decent episode IMO. I like that bit with Van Alden walking in on Al. Dude looked twice the size of Capone.

I give it a 7/10.

I ain't gonna lie... I enjoyed the season premiere of Downton Abbey more.

:lalala:

Was expecting a lot more from the opener. Wasn't bad, but wasn't an especially memorable episode either. Give it a 6 out of 10.

P,S. what it did do was set out some of the major storylines for the season I think. Won't make any spoilers yet for those that haven't seen it yet.

motown67 said:
    Was expecting a lot more from the opener. Wasn't bad, but wasn't an especially memorable episode either. Give it a 6 out of 10.

That's about where I was with it....from one of the better shows on TV I expected more......but I didn't care for the very first episode either so I can see this as being a "set-up" episode more than a pay-off one.

• New dude made the episode for me...killer one liners "you're a breadstick with a bow tie"

Also there were a couple surprises (at least surprises to me)

I say a solid 7

• Man, you guys are tough critics. I thought it was great.

Sons of Anarchy is back as well if you want some more gangsta fair. New episodes have been great.

• just peeped the first ep; will check in after I've seen last night's...

The_Hook_Up said:
    New dude made the episode for me...killer one liners "you're a breadstick with a bow tie"

Also there were a couple surprises (at least surprises to me)

I say a solid 7

Second episode was much better......fleshing out Chalky and his fam was a good move.....not sure what to think about new dude yet.....someone please off Knucky's girl/wife and brother pronto.

8/10

• I love how the new guy, Gyp, just creates a "oh shit, what's gonna happen now?" tension by just appearing in a scene.

Liking this new season.

The_Hook_Up said:
    I love how the new guy, Gyp, just creates a "oh shit, what's gonna happen now?" tension by just appearing in a scene.

Liking this new season.

Gyp steals every scene he's in. Just exudes violence. When he was talking to the waitress in the restaurant I thought he was going smack her there for a second or do something crazy.