Boardwalk Empire

Comments

• motown67 said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I love how the new guy, Gyp, just creates a "oh shit, what's gonna happen now?" tension by just appearing in a scene.

Liking this new season.

Gyp steals every scene he's in. Just exudes violence. When he was talking to the waitress in the restaurant I thought he was going smack her there for a second or do something crazy.

Totally....also thought he was going to do something to the gas station kid...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    motown67 said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I love how the new guy, Gyp, just creates a "oh shit, what's gonna happen now?" tension by just appearing in a scene.

Liking this new season.

Gyp steals every scene he's in. Just exudes violence. When he was talking to the waitress in the restaurant I thought he was going smack her there for a second or do something crazy.

Totally....also thought he was going to do something to the gas station kid...

Yes, that scene to. He's unpredictable, which makes him a great new addition to the cast.

• I was calling Chalky "Omar" from the jump, but tonight I started Gyp "Marlo."

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Damn that second episode was great! Rosetti is the man, indeed!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    This season sucks.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    edpowers said:
    This season sucks.

if by "sucks" you mean "great" then i agree with you wholeheartedly!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    edpowers said:
    This season sucks.

Agreed...they can't kill Knucky's wife quick enough.

This season just seems like lots of loose ends leading nowhere.

• 2 1/2 Men "sucks." Friends "sucked."

This season is merely inferior (by a large margin) to the previous 2. I still watch obsessively. The dialogue, sets, characters are still fucking amazing.

But yeah, not much going on.

I'm over Maggie, don't care about Nucky's or Ely's kids particularly, the whole Womens Clinic subplot is beyond boring.

It's a shame, but I predicted this season's wackness at the end of last season.

rootlesscosmo said:

About half of BE has been "about" Jimmy and his relationship with Nucky (the other half being Nucky's relationship with Maggie; these are broad strokes of course). Now that Jimmy's gone, what's next? sure there's a TON of great bit players (I could watch AR, Meir and Lucky plotting for hours; love the dialogue and the contrasting styles/temperments/approaches that each one of those dudes has), but, arguably, there's no longer a compelling overarching story without Jimmy.

The NY guys move heroin into AC and go to war with Nucky? Chalky continues to tit-for-tat with the Klan? The feds catch up with Van Alden in Illinois? Manny vs. Waxy Pt. II? Nucky argues with his wife?

There'll be some good action, but not sure these are storylines that have much weight.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    But lets be fair. Rosetti has been one of the best characters on TV this year. Even in the last eps , the split second of fear (Which I didn't think he had any) when he felt his time had come and then turning it around.

Where is Al? Need more gangster, less family stuff. The show isn't as strongly written as Sopranos to keep so much family stuff going.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It has become a bit of a soap opera; sprawling character arcs, dating issues, illicit sex in the greenhouse with the hired help, mistress issues, wife issues, family problems etc.
    But with Jimmy gone there's no real power to go against Nucky and I guess they're reluctant to bring the New Yorkers into it more as then it stops being about Jersey gangsters and becomes just another telling of the New York mob's story. That said, there was still plenty of good characters left to make it interesting. I loved the bit where Van Alden's 'wife' coldcocks that agent.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i disagree with every single complaint put forth except i too, want nucky's wife outta the picture. i really dig the character stuff this season. rosetti with his matriarchal family, capone and his kid, the early chalky scenes, even the thompson family easter. not sure if you guys are having memory loss but every season has been a slow burn, and i'm not sure why you would throw this season under the bus when its obvious there's plenty of action on the horizon. this has been the second best show on tv this fall, with only homeland outdoing it.

• thrope said:
    second best show on tv this fall, with only homeland outdoing it.

The Emmy's went Homeland over Boardwalk Empire, too, which I find downright preposterous. The difference between these shows would seem to go beyond personal preference; there's an objective "quality" that one has and the other simply lacks.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Homeland. But they're not on remotely the same level to me. The attention to detail, the insane historical minutiae, the sociological undertones (race relations, labor relations, religion, social mores, immigration), I mean, Boardwalk Empire is a very dense piece of work. And that's before you get to the clever writing and excellent performances/cast.

Homeland is basically a really, really above average network show. I don't rate it higher than that. And as entertaining as it still is, I'm starting to find it downright ridiculous plot-wise. I'm still watching, but rolling my eyes (and laughing) a ton in the process.

Homeland is fun, but I don't think about it much when I'm not watching it. Boardwalk Empire has me in dissect mode for the entire week between episodes.

For me, what separates a really great show (e.g. the top tier HBO shows like Boardwalk, Sopranos, Wire, Deadwood) from a merely good one is that when it ends, I actually miss it. Homeland is good and I will likely watch it until it ends, but when that happens, I doubt very much that I will miss it.

I thought that eps was pretty crazy. The build up for the ending of the season is great.

Trailer for next week

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    wow i'm pretty surprised about the character they decided to off......

• thrope said:

They did it in such a shitty way too. His death was more about her grief. A disservice IMO.

Grandfather said:
    thrope said:

They did it in such a shitty way too. His death was more about her grief. A disservice IMO.

Well, it did serve the purpose of filling in Nucky about their affair. And by how she acted, in that split second I'm sure Nucky realizes how deep it was. Maybe this is the build up to Nucky "taking care of her".

• I take it they killed the IRA dude last night; i missed the ep. Spoilers don't spoil shit for me; I enjoy nonetheless.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    im ready for harrow to snipe somebody. gyp, the other italian, anybody!

so it was luciano and lansky that got the irishman killed, i wonder when/if nucky enters a war with them. or if now that he knows dude was with his wife if he'll even care. the preview for next week pretty much shows nuckys world crumbling.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Mid-80's private press rock LP from South Carolina.......riff sounds a lot like the opening to BE.

Tonight's episode made up for the soap opera type episodes that happened in the middle of the season. I still ride for this show even with those story lines. Al Capone had the great finishing line at the end.

Yeah, the last line...

:dominoes:

The build up has been great.

I was getting pretty hyped with the last Richard scene. So great.

Hell yeah. It's about to go down.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Hopefully Margaret and Gyp wont be returning next season. Margaret is probably the most annoying character on TV. Gyp is the most unbelievable.

I don't know.

I like Breaking Bad a lot. But Skyler is more annoying to me.

I agree. Hope she don't come back.

Gyp is great. He's a psychopath. I love him.

• I was ready for Al Capone to sit down with Nucky at the end too!! It was over way too soon...(51minutes) Stephen Graham is nailing this character, I mean he's really changed my perspective on his acting abilities. He's made me a firm believer that he can play the gangster role.

• so that was the season finale? what was richard getting his guns out for?

crabmongerfunk said:
    so that was the season finale?

Next week is.

crabmongerfunk said:
    what was richard getting his guns out for?

• DOR, was the implication that richard is about to go to war against the madame/rossetti crew and if so why exactly? is it becasue she has belittled, manipualted and emmasculated him or is it someting more to do with the kid?