Boardwalk Empire

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I think it's a combination of all of those. He got dissed, he doesn't think the kid should be in a whore house, and he doesn't like Gyp's people taking it over either.

• Why do people hate Nucky's wife so much? She's one of the few "good" characters so I can see how she can seem corny next to all the villains, but still... I appreciate the balance she brings to the show.

b/w

Anybody still watch Treme? She's like an ex I occasionally wonder about.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Herm said:
    Why do people hate Nucky's wife so much? She's one of the few "good" characters so I can see how she can seem corny next to all the villains, but still... I appreciate the balance she brings to the show.

The good characters always kill the fun for the bad characters.

b/w

Anybody still watch Treme? She's like an ex I occasionally wonder about.

For a show where nothing happens, Trem?? has been tremendous this season. The show is almost too subtle, much of the story occupies the negative spaces in between what's actually shown on screen.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Before Sunday, let's call it. Who's getting done?

Gyp for sure. Some are saying Eli...

I really hope Nucky doesn't make some sort of deal with Rothstein. He told him he would remember not backing him.

• Eili might be my favorite character on the show; I'd hate to see him go.

Nucky doesn't need AR; he's got Capone.

I think Gyp will get done, but who cares? He's a sideshow (a really, really entertaining sideshow).

The real question is what happens to Masseria. (One drawback of the show's adherence to history is that I actually know what happens to Masseria. *historical spoiler alert*)

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    "Big bait catches big rat"

That was a great turn of events done by Nucky.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Agreed

• yeah well played all around.

Enjoyed this season quite a bit. My fav of the 3. I'm hoping that's it with Margret. Tho I doubt it, but just let her fade off...

I like how the shit with A.R. is playing out.

Richard Harrowwwwww

• DOR said:

Richard Harrowwwwww

gone for good?

If he's not looking after the kid I'm not sure what reason he has to hang around at this point.

who gets the whorehouse?

• DOR said:
    Enjoyed this season quite a bit. My fav of the 3. I'm hoping that's it with Margret. Tho I doubt it, but just let her fade off...

Margaret represents womens' rights. No way she's gone for good (at least I hope she's not). They may eventually replace her, but for now they'll keep her on to illustrate the other signs of the times. In my opinion, the whores and side chicks, as nice as they may be to look at, are way more annoying/creepy then Margaret. Maybe they'll shift a little to Esther (US Attorney), but I'm sure the main focus will be on Margaret. They've done too much with her already, especially with the healthcare issue. Now she'll get the abortion and understand womens' needs from another perspective. I just wish she'd have a little more backbone. (I think her turning down Nucky's money might be the start of that.)

rootlesscosmo said:
    DOR said:

Richard Harrowwwwww

gone for good?

If he's not looking after the kid I'm not sure what reason he has to hang around at this point.

who gets the whorehouse?

I hope not gone. Maybe he hangs around to watch the kid from the shadows. Or maybe things smooth out with his girl...

Did Gillian actually die? She was still talking at the end no?

• rootlesscosmo said:
    DOR said:

Richard Harrowwwwww

gone for good?

who gets the whorehouse?

I think Gillian'll keep it, but I'm wondering now if she'll take on a heroin addiction. At first I thought she died, then I was reminded that when she killed Jimmy's lookalike, she got him high then drowned him.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The Harrow "Close your eyes" shot is the single best moment in HBO history.

• Also, that scene with Richard saving Jimmy's son was unbelievable at first. I was yelling at the TV "He's a sharpshooter! No way he doesn't take that shot!" Kinda pissed that they'd let that happen, but of course by the end of the scene I was cheering. Eye for an eye. Without even having proper aim. Dope.

Still though...dude had a clean shot from the jump.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Herm said:
    Also, that scene with Richard saving Jimmy's son was unbelievable at first. I was yelling at the TV "He's a sharpshooter! No way he doesn't take that shot!" Kinda pissed that they'd let that happen, but of course by the end of the scene I was cheering. Eye for an eye. Without even having proper aim. Dope.

I thought the same thing at first but then rationalized it by thinking if the dude had even seen Harrow's finger twitch a little he could have pulled the trigger and killed the kid even though he'd be dead a split second later.....the element of surprise is what made it fool proof ...and great.

I liked when they met up on the beach and guy was like "The guy with the mask, what the fuck was that?"

I wonder if the guy that fills Nucky in on who went Rambo in the mansion. Maybe he brings in Richard to work for him...

• Herm said:
    Also, that scene with Richard saving Jimmy's son was unbelievable at first. I was yelling at the TV "He's a sharpshooter! No way he doesn't take that shot!" Kinda pissed that they'd let that happen, but of course by the end of the scene I was cheering. Eye for an eye. Without even having proper aim. Dope.

umm...dude: the way he shot from the ground at that crazy angle was way, way doper than if he had just taken a clean shot.

rootlesscosmo said:
    DOR said:

Richard Harrowwwwww

gone for good?

who gets the whorehouse?

He dropped off the kid at his girlfriend's house. That isn't much of an end, I would suspect they'll find something for him to do next season.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    Herm said:

umm...dude: the way he shot from the ground at that crazy angle was way, way doper than if he had just taken a clean shot.

From a dramatic standpoint, no question. Don't get me wrong, by the end of the scene, I thought it was perfect. But in those first few moments, I was like "Hmmm..."

• chasechase 767 Posts
    motown67 said:

He dropped off the kid at his girlfriend's house. That isn't much of an end, I would suspect they'll find something for him to do next season.

He would probably be the first main character to walk out of the show alive. Which would be fitting, they real painted him as a hero, and he has ever reason to leave town. For all he knows there are 39 of Gyp's men looking for him (how did he ever expect to get out of that house alive??)...

Seems lately his role has been getting smaller and smaller probably because all his ties to the main plot are gone. It's like they gave enough plot to close the book on him and the kid. If Gillian dies, it's all wrapped up in a neat bow.

• motown67 said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    DOR said:

Richard Harrowwwwww

gone for good?

who gets the whorehouse?

huh. I had the opposite reaction: it felt like a pretty definitive end to his character arc.

The ornery old dad finally seemed to be ready to welcome him into the fam, but he opts to leave it all behind. Richard seemed at that moment to internalize Gillian's mean-spirited remark about "not believing in what can never be" or whatever. Richard secured the kid's safety, and left, choosing not to believe that he could actually make a happy life with a "normal," attractive person.

I suspect he'll be back, referenced by the writers next season in a little nod-or-two to his legion fans, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone for good.

• Geeked for the new season; best show out.

I'm an episode behind so I haven't seen "brother from Langley" Jeffrey Wright's character introduced yet.

Damn that new prohi agent is cold-blooded.

Purnsley fucked up.

Nucky's love interest: I hope that was a one-episode thing; she was boooooring.

The scene where you're made to believe Gillian is selling the house, but is actually whoring was clever...and super dark.

Chalky's club is sick; I saw a little HBO thing on it; they built an entire club; it's not a bunch of disjointed stages; the stairs actually lead upstairs, etc. Purpose built. Another reason this is the most expensive HBO show ever and is ultimately doomed.

Herm said:
    WHOA.

Eps 2 was really great. I'm enjoying this season so far!

With the addition of Jeffrey Wright in the 2nd eps, serious tension already building up right off the bat. I have this feeling that Dr. Narcisse will be playing checkers with Chalky, while playing chess with Nucky.

• rootlesscosmo said:

I'm an episode behind so I haven't seen "brother from Langley" Jeffrey Wright's character introduced yet.

I don't know if it was just me but his introduction seemed godam terrible. His character came off way too unbelievable and generally phony.

• Grandfather said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

I don't know if it was just me but his introduction seemed godam terrible. His character came off way too unbelievable and generally phony.

good buddy of mine (whose opinion of the show I value) said the same thing.

will peep tonight.

Grandfather said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Really? I had the opposite thought.

For me, the possible generally phonyness can be explained with this back n fourth.

Chalky: I???ll give you one minute to get your Jamaican ass???
    Narcisse: I???m from Trinidad.
    Chalky: I don???t give a fuck

Mix that with how the episode ended. And for me, it's gonna play out well.

• DOR said:
    Grandfather said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Really? I had the opposite thought.

For me, the possible generally phonyness can be explained with this back n fourth.

Chalky: I???ll give you one minute to get your Jamaican ass???
    Narcisse: I???m from Trinidad.
    Chalky: I don???t give a fuck

Mix that with how the episode ended. And for me, it's gonna play out well.

*SPOILERS*

That "kings" back and forth with Nucky was just bad IMO.
    I didn't buy Nuckys willingness to give up a percentage just like that? I guess you could argue its because of everything he went through with masseria last season.
    Narcisse' attitude towards Chalky was cornball and you see him killin that white girl a mile away.

I had great expectations for this guy but I think his introduction was just not well done.