Boardwalk Empire

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i actually think Buscemi's delivery is pretty wooden (ugh) when it comes to conveying intimacy. He is not warm at all and delivers those amorous lines as matter-of-factly as when he is dealing with his business partners. Maybe that is intentional though, as we see his girl feeling distant from him and drawn to the personable young chap

• is it just me or does Slater call her "mom"? Or is that just Irish for "ma'am"?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I believe it's "Ma'am" but comes out sounding like mum to others. It's a form of polite address and is very normal for staff (From the UK) to use when addressing the lady of the house.

About the only time I hear it used on the regular now a days is with the Queen. On first meeting I believe you use "Your Majesty" and after if you have any type of speaking relationship with her, you can use Ma'am (Sounding like Mum).

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DOR said:
    About the only time I hear it used on the regular now a days is with the Queen. On first meeting I believe you use "Your Majesty" and after if you have any type of speaking relationship with her, you can use Ma'am (Sounding like Mum).

i always thought that was a reference to her title as the "Queen Mother". Always seemed pretty informal and weird to me too, though.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    I really do think that Steve Buschemi's physical appearance gets in the way of the story.

If he were merely an average-looking-dude-but really-old, or a decent-looking-but-overweight dude -- with a lot of money and power --, you could think "okay this young woman has made certain sacrifices for her well-being and that of her family, and besides he's a decent guy and is compassionate and isn't *that* ugly....." And this is precisely what the writers were going for.

But given how uncommonly gross Buschemi is, when I see them together in any intimate way I have one of two thoughts, neither one of them conducive to the believability of the show: 1. "I just don't buy this at all." or 2 "OMG she is trapped by some horrible monster in a depraved sexual slavery situation a la Buffalo Bill....."

I guess what I'm saying is that Buschemi is a good actor but is WAY too ugly for this role.

I don't know...her husband was poor and stupid, Buschemi is rich and smart...I don't think it is unbelievable that she fell for him even though he is a gangly mess. Rich and smart will assure the kids are taken care of and educated so maybe that is what attracted her.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    I really do think that Steve Buschemi's physical appearance gets in the way of the story.

If he were merely an average-looking-dude-but really-old, or a decent-looking-but-overweight dude -- with a lot of money and power --, you could think "okay this young woman has made certain sacrifices for her well-being and that of her family, and besides he's a decent guy and is compassionate and isn't *that* ugly....." And this is precisely what the writers were going for.

But given how uncommonly gross Buschemi is, when I see them together in any intimate way I have one of two thoughts, neither one of them conducive to the believability of the show: 1. "I just don't buy this at all." or 2 "OMG she is trapped by some horrible monster in a depraved sexual slavery situation a la Buffalo Bill....."

I guess what I'm saying is that Buschemi is a good actor but is WAY too ugly for this role.

I don't know...her husband was poor and stupid, Buschemi is rich and smart...I don't think it is unbelievable that she fell for him even though he is a gangly mess. Rich and smart will assure the kids are taken care of and educated so maybe that is what attracted her.

Of course, bro. I "get" why she's with him obv.

My point is that their relationship/plotline makes more "sense" to me as a viewer/consumer if Nucky is played by an unattractive dude, not a borderline-disfigured dude. Buschemi is TOO ugly for me to get beyond when I watch it.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    is it just me or does Slater call her "mom"? Or is that just Irish for "ma'am"?

It's dodgy non Irish portraying an Irish character with a crap accent for Ma'am.....that's the dude that was in Stardust, right? Kelly McDonald's Oirish accent is a real low point of an otherwise great series. Why can't they get Irish actors to play Irish characters? The only proper Irish guy on there is the tall skinny guy with the curly hair, think his name is Ryan in it

• Risingson said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    is it just me or does Slater call her "mom"? Or is that just Irish for "ma'am"?

It's dodgy non Irish portraying an Irish character with a crap accent for Ma'am.....that's the dude that was in Stardust, right? Kelly McDonald's Oirish accent is a real low point of an otherwise great series. Why can't they get Irish actors to play Irish characters? The only proper Irish guy on there is the tall skinny giy with the curly hair, think his name is Ryan in it

funny, i usually think the reverse for actors on walking dead & band of outsiders. the sherriff dude on walking dead has a terrible southern accent. i agree kelly mcdonald's "strong" accent is pretty distracting at times

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

Of course, bro. I "get" why she's with him obv.

My point is that their relationship/plotline makes more "sense" to me as a viewer/consumer if Nucky is played by an unattractive dude, not a borderline-disfigured dude. Buschemi is TOO ugly for me to get beyond when I watch it.

Man, that is some shallow bs. Glad no-one else involved in the production shares your view.
    Buscemi undoubtedly pulls off the role, making it quite believable that someone like Margaret, a pragmatist and a quick wit, could end up being attracted to nucky thompson for his combination of intelligence and power, as well as his being enigmatic, needy, and at times, literally very vulnerable. As opposed to the Paz de la Huerta characters' reasons for being with nuck.
    with Margaret also developing the hots for the new guy, I'd say its quite a believable set of relations.

Van Alden, on the other hand... Really crashing and burning last episode.
    Scene with Meyer, Luciano and the rest shooting at each other, then cutting a deal was also classic.

• damn it. despite my best efforts, it would appear that I'm "shallow."

dude its a perfectly legitimate gut reaction to Buschemi's casting. this thread is full of them actually.

I think Buschemi is great in this role. My point is (as I stated), that the relationship between him and homegiirl would "work" slightly better were he not so disgusting (as you can tell, despite the high regard in which I hold Bucshemi as an actor, I think, of the hundreds of leading dudes in Hollywood, he has to be one of the weirdest looking ones out there).

thanks for reading, though.

This season has been pretty solid. Crazy ending to tonight's episode. So many things going on.

We know Jimmy loses it next episode... That's a given.

What else is gonna happen?

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i think his boy Richard is going to lose it more than Jimmy. he seemed close to Jimmys wife.

thrope said:
    i think his boy Richard is going to lose it more than Jimmy. he seemed close to Jimmys wife.

Agreed.

But this blows my theory of Richard and her falling in love...

• Based on the preview for next week, I think that everyone may assume that Jimmy killed her because of the way that she will be found (naked on top of another naked lesbian). I could easily see Jimmy allowing people to think that because it makes him look like a hard ass (rather than a fool who didn't know his wife was a lesbian) and he doesn't really want to beef with the guy from Philly. He's got too many other messes to take care of. He may send his boy to take care of him, but I don't see it as some major showdown.

• am i the only one who doesn't like jimmy and wants him to fail?

• edith head said:
    am i the only one who doesn't like jimmy and wants him to fail?

no; I think that's a perfectly legit reaction.

I mean, he's a dick to his wife, he's blatantly screwing over his business partners in Philly, he majorly bit the hand that fed him by turning on Nucky (no matter what perceived slight he felt himself the victim of)....

He shows tender compassion for Richard; that's about all he has going for him in the sympathetic-character department.

• holyfuck.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    holyfuck.

x2

Not an easy watch.

• StoneHands said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    holyfuck.

x2

Not an easy watch.

that incest scene was excruciating to watch.

best episode of the series so far, by a long shot.

WOW...

Did not see that coming.

• DOR said:
    WOW...

Did not see that coming.

Jimmy was the most interesting/exciting character for me. Shocked/disappointed.

• They knew what they were doing. Most of the season (especially the last two eps before the finale) were spent making us sympathize with Jimmy so much. Truly sad ending. Slightly shocked to see Nucky so cold blooded too but after the end of that episode, that wife of his needs to go too.

• really enjoyed the finale. i feel s2 was even better than 1. are they already signed on for a s3?

• StoneHands said:
    DOR said:
    WOW...

Did not see that coming.

Jimmy was the most interesting/exciting character for me. Shocked/disappointed.

glad he's gone. he's an unsympathetic idiot

• Cool finale I guess.

Where do the NY gangsters stand vis-a-vis Nucky now? What was the point of his calling AR for the OK to off Manny if he didn't intend to do it? I guess he teams with Manny now and goes against the NY kids? But why exactly?

• After the surprise of Nucky shooting him, did anyone else think he was going to shoot Eli? I thought Nucky was going to clean house...

• rootlesscosmo said:
    Cool finale I guess.

Where do the NY gangsters stand vis-a-vis Nucky now? What was the point of his calling AR for the OK to off Manny if he didn't intend to do it? I guess he teams with Manny now and goes against the NY kids? But why exactly?

To take the suspicion off himself in the death of Jimmy? If he made it seem that he wants Manny dead, then perhaps he won't be suspected of being the one who killed Jimmy, thus maybe it seems he isn't the one selling the Irish Whiskey...isn't Jimmy the only one who brought up the theory that it was Nucky flooding the town with it?