Breaking Bad

Comments

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    The writers and producers have said from the very beginning that Walt does something completely terrible this season. So much so that he is unforgivable. I'm pretty sure Walt poisoned Brock. He did it to get Gus out in the open and give himself an opportunity. That is the reason Gus thought to go back into the hospital. Gus sensed that if Brock was poisoned and if it wasn't him, then that only leaves Heisenburg.

But how would Walt have gotten the cigarette out of Jesse's pack in the lab? Jesse was saying that it disappeared between the morning and when he got to the hostpital. That is more far fetched than Gus's plan to poison Brock I think.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    bluesnag said:
    Grandfather said:
    The writers and producers have said from the very beginning that Walt does something completely terrible this season. So much so that he is unforgivable. I'm pretty sure Walt poisoned Brock. He did it to get Gus out in the open and give himself an opportunity. That is the reason Gus thought to go back into the hospital. Gus sensed that if Brock was poisoned and if it wasn't him, then that only leaves Heisenburg.

But how would Walt have gotten the cigarette out of Jesse's pack in the lab? Jesse was saying that it disappeared between the morning and when he got to the hostpital. That is more far fetched than Gus's plan to poison Brock I think.

Walt wouldn't have needed the cigarette.

• both plans are far fetched but Huel did frisk Jessy (for the first time ever) out of nowhere

DocMcCoy said:
    bluesnag said:
    Grandfather said:

Walt wouldn't have needed the cigarette.

It's not about him needing the cigarette, it's about the cigarette disappearing. He had to make it go away somehow, even if he made a new batch of ricin.

Grandfather said:
    both plans are far fetched but Huel did frisk Jessy (for the first time ever) out of nowhere

Ah, good point.

Hmm. Now I'm starting to believe this theory. If it's true Walt is pretty damn low, and the show will probably end with him being the new kingpin.

• they really focused in on walt's glasses on his head, did gus simply see a sunlight reflection?

can't wait for the season finale, sad its over though.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Everything seems to point to the fact that Gus actually just stopped because he was thinking about his conversation with Jesse & they simply made it look like he was suspicious about something going on with the car to make the situation more stressful. There's no way Gus saw Walt from where he was & especially not from the angle he was approaching. That would be way too far fetched. If it is in fact Walt who poisoned the child, then Gus will go back to see Jesse to question him about that, Jesse may realize that it was Walt not Gus & that will lead him to warn Gus about the car bomb.

Great episode over all.

I still can't help but wonder what Breaking Bad would have looked like on a better network like HBO. Aside from the gratuitous sex scenes & exposed breasts in every episode, I wonder how many explosions & sh*t they would have included.

• I do not think that Walt poisoned Brock. My first thought was that, being a kid, Brock got into Jesse's cigarettes and smoked the wrong one by dumb luck.

Side note: has anyone noticed how Marie decorates the entire goddamn house in purple? Is she a closet Prince fan or something?

• She wears all purple too.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    She wears all purple too.

Yeah, this is beyond the women I see all the time ill-advisedly matching pink nail polish with a pink cell phone, pink shoes and a pink purse. There's so much purple that I feel the show wants us to think she's cray-cray. I think I might have even spotted a purple mortar and pestle, which can't be easy to find.

One of my favorite things to watch for is Walter "Flynn" Junior sort of innocently advocating for his dad all the time. His mom is so deep into it that she doesn't even bite her lip and mostly ingores it.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    still can't help but wonder what Breaking Bad would have looked like on a better network like HBO. Aside from the gratuitous sex scenes & exposed breasts in every episode, I wonder how many explosions & sh*t they would have included

it would look the same presumably....remember the intensity of season 1...

bathtub scene?

or the atm scene from season 3????

both of those shit on a level hbo has gone to

• Hey OK. I'm purposely NOT reading this thread because I'm only on Season 1 Disc 2, but gottdamn! it's tempting!!!
    Anyhow, just wanted to duck in and out to mention a pretty funny inside joke I noticed.
    In the episode where Walt goes over to Tuco's (sic?) when he throws the Mercury, and everything explodes, there is an exterior shot of a bunch of rubble and an air conditioning unit falling out from the building. Amidst the sounds of the explosion and the noises people are making, someone threw in a clip of Howard Dean's notorious "yeah!" cry that supposedly cost him the election. Has anyone else noticed that? If they really did this, that is frekin hilarious!!!
    Sorry if this has already been covered.

listen at 1:07

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Sounds like it could be but I'm using crappy speakers. That's awesome if it is.

Is Dean the new Wilhelm?

• jjfad027 said:
    Sounds like it could be but I'm using crappy speakers. That's awesome if it is.

Is Dean the new Wilhelm?

Had never known about Wilhelm but just read about it (and listened to the scream) on Wikipedia. That's hilarious!

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    Hey OK. I'm purposely NOT reading this thread because I'm only on Season 1 Disc 2, but gottdamn! it's tempting

I'm on S3, E4 and don't think I can catch up before this thread becomes irrelevant. Will still try, though!

I've been reading this thread, but it doesn't make sense since I'm a season behind.

TheKindCromang said:
    Hey OK. I'm purposely NOT reading this thread because I'm only on Season 1 Disc 2, but gottdamn! it's tempting!!!
    Anyhow, just wanted to duck in and out to mention a pretty funny inside joke I noticed.
    In the episode where Walt goes over to Tuco's (sic?) when he throws the Mercury, and everything explodes, there is an exterior shot of a bunch of rubble and an air conditioning unit falling out from the building. Amidst the sounds of the explosion and the noises people are making, someone threw in a clip of Howard Dean's notorious "yeah!" cry that supposedly cost him the election. Has anyone else noticed that? If they really did this, that is frekin hilarious!!!
    Sorry if this has already been covered.

listen at 1:07

KInda seems like a reach... both the scream and the fact that it cost Dean the election -- media definitely blew it out of proportion but Dean was trying to rally the troops after losing the primary.

• I can't believe anyone would want this show on HBO.

As much HBO make great shows too, one of the hundreds of great things about Breaking Bad on AMC is the way scenes can flip from Simple to complex in how they get the message across.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    badder_than_evil said:
    As much HBO make great shows too

Dude, you can't compare HBO & AMC as equals or anything even remotely close. HBO is far superior & they have big budgets for their projects which tend to be high quality & very successful (Sopranos, The Wire, Oz, Boardwalk Empire, Band Of Brothers, The Pacific, all the comedy specials, etc...). AMC is lucky Breaking Bad still came out well despite their budget issues & poor executive decisions. It's probably only thanks to the talent of some of the people involved. But it could have easily gone the other way. What kind of a mickey mouse network isn't sure if they'll renew a show with this kind of following & potential & then considers having a 6-8 episode season finale.

• PLUS....When the fuck is Mad Men coming back?!?

• ost said:
    badder_than_evil said:
    As much HBO make great shows too

Dude, you can't compare HBO & AMC as equals or anything even remotely close. HBO is far superior & they have big budgets for their projects which tend to be high quality & very successful (Sopranos, The Wire, Oz, Boardwalk Empire, Band Of Brothers, The Pacific, all the comedy specials, etc...). AMC is lucky Breaking Bad still came out well despite their budget issues & poor executive decisions. It's probably only thanks to the talent of some of the people involved. But it could have easily gone the other way. What kind of a mickey mouse network isn't sure if they'll renew a show with this kind of following & potential & then considers having a 6-8 episode season finale.

So you wouldn't say AMC make some great shows?
    I'd say they were second to HBO.

• The Combination of Breaking Bad and Mad Men are better than any two shows HBO has ever had except for maybe Arli$$ and G-String Divas.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    The Combination of Breaking Bad and Mad Men are better than any two shows HBO has ever had except for maybe Arli$$ and G-String Divas.

wire , sopranos , larry sanders ?

Let's not forget "The Killing" on AMC, which was garbage and cheated what remained of the their dwindling fan base with the season finale that finalized nothing. They also had that show "Rubicon," which I heard was OK, but got canceled with the quickness, or the SyFy-channeling special effects of "The Walking Dead." HBO has probably had some misteps, too. It's not really a better-or-worse argument to me. I don't pay for HBO and do enjoy the fact that AMC is free with my basic cable package.

I actually watched the series premier last night of "American Horror" on FX, which seemed somewhat promising maybe for a mini-series but not sure if it has legs for much beyond that -- speaking of legs, that ghost version of the ginger maid? I'd holler.

So now I'm thinking maybe, *maybe*, Walt poisoned Brock on some do anything to survive tip. I mean, Gail was innocent too, right? Not a kid of course, but Walt didn't think twice about offing him. And he has fucking lost his mind since then.

BUT I think if he did do it, we won't find out until later, during some big reveal of what kinds of changes have really gone on in Walt's mind.

bluesnag said:
    So now I'm thinking maybe, *maybe*, Walt poisoned Brock on some do anything to survive tip. I mean, Gail was innocent too, right? Not a kid of course, but Walt didn't think twice about offing him. And he has fucking lost his mind since then.

BUT I think if he did do it, we won't find out until later, during some big reveal of what kinds of changes have really gone on in Walt's mind.

He also had no qualms about watching Jesse's girlfriend croak and not doing anything about it.

Grandfather said:
    The Combination of Breaking Bad and Mad Men are better than any two shows HBO has ever had except for maybe Arli$$ and G-String Divas.

Don't forget Kenny Powers and Real Sex 87

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    cookbook said:
    they really focused in on walt's glasses on his head, did gus simply see a sunlight reflection?

Saw this somewhere else - I think dude is on to something:

"Ok.....the last shot focuses on Walt's glasses.

When Gus is walking towards the car his suspicion is only raised when Walt begins to urge him towards the car. He looks around as if he can hear Walt talking......Walt's glasses are bugged.

Once you view it that way it all falls into place.

When Walt woke up a few episodes back and his broken glasses were fixed by his bed he assumed that Flynn had fixed them. That however has never been confirmed they could have been dropped in my surveilance obsessive Gus."

I don't think I like that as a plot point, but it sure as hell makes a lot of sense.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    coffinjoe said:
    larry sanders

• the scene where walt spins the gun 3 times, the first two times it points to him.
    my feeling at first was that he wanted to kill himself.
    the third time it points to some plants, i think this is where walt got his idea about poisoning the kid with the ricin. seeing as ricin is made from castor oil plant.

pppp said:
    cookbook said:
    they really focused in on walt's glasses on his head, did gus simply see a sunlight reflection?

Saw this somewhere else - I think dude is on to something:

"Ok.....the last shot focuses on Walt's glasses.

When Gus is walking towards the car his suspicion is only raised when Walt begins to urge him towards the car. He looks around as if he can hear Walt talking......Walt's glasses are bugged.

Once you view it that way it all falls into place.

When Walt woke up a few episodes back and his broken glasses were fixed by his bed he assumed that Flynn had fixed them. That however has never been confirmed they could have been dropped in my surveilance obsessive Gus."

I don't think I like that as a plot point, but it sure as hell makes a lot of sense.

Oh shit. This is a great theory. I like the one with the gun spinning to explain the ricin idea too. Damn, I love this show. Can't wait for the season finale.