Breaking Bad

Comments

• I WON.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    So many great moments, and everything is beautifully set up for the final season. It'll be fascinating to see where Gilligan & co take it next time out.

I motion that we retire the old facemelt graemlin and replace it with Gus.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    SPOILER ALERT +++ SPOILER ALERT +++ SPOILER ALERT +++

• an awesome finale! the end scenes with walt and jesse back together (the new hermanos) wiping down the hidden door... "vamonos!"

i think the phone call to skylar sets up next season. it will be the DEA/FBI trying to put the pieces together, and hank will inch closer and closer to pinpointing walt (science knowledge, money flow, car accident, phone call). it will end with the ultimate irony of walt rotting away in jail, making all of his efforts moot.

i really liked the gus scene, one last tie adjustment. i kept asking myself, where's mike in all this?

• I'd like to see more Hank and less Jesse next season. If Walt completely stops cooking, the show would still be good. This would never happen, but they could easily make the last season about Walt trying to avoid Hank's follow up investigation to Gus's death while trying to make money as a car wash owner.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    what an incredibly masterful finale episode. i loved the cat and mouse plot this season

i remember thinking walt and jesse had switched roles before - with jesse being the responsible one with family obligations when Walt showed up at his house and was shooed off his lawn like a degenerate and remembering thinking the same thing when Walt showed up at the hospital with the bomb and Jesse scolding him "What were you thinking bringing that here?" for making such a dumb and desperate decision. Then it turns out that Walt was in control the whole time (and is a cold, unscrupulous dude all about self-preservation). Poisoning Brock to manipulate Jesse and using his neighbor as bait was so messed up.

The plan to draw Gus out was so perfect and brilliant. The letter board scenes with Tio Salamanca were an interesting detail the writers thought up as they were both hilarious and suspenseful as you are trying to anticipate what the F tio's intentions are at the DEA meeting and what the strategy is here. I loved this episode.

double

this is a still from Gayle's apartment in the first episode of Season 4

foreshadowing awesomeness

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I am going to guess there are some other major cartel players about to get into the mix now.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    billbradley said:
    I am going to guess there are some other major cartel players about to get into the mix now.

I don't know, with only one more season to go and Walt embracing the darkside I see him making a move to be the new Gus with Mike as his possible muscle

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Guzzo said:
    billbradley said:

I don't know, with only one more season to go and Walt embracing the darkside I see him making a move to be the new Gus with Mike as his possible muscle

Sure, Walt will be the new Gus, but I don't think the cartel(s) are going to make it easy for him. Who knows... A lot can happen in 16 episodes.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the show still has an unblemished record so far
    no dud episodes in 4 seasons
    and seeing walt's descent has made me appreciate the ''infection/cleaning'' episode more he NEEDS control

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    I was reading an interview with Vince Gilligan and he hinted at a couple of possibilites:

-Gus will still be invlolved in some flash back scenes in season 5.

-Walt may have to deal with the West Coast cartel.

I'm pretty sure I read this interview on the BB facebook page if you're interested.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    edith head said:

love it

• I love it too, but now that I think about it, i doubt Gilligan and crew knew how Gus would be killed at the end of season 4.

hogginthefogg said:
    I love it too, but now that I think about it, i doubt Gilligan and crew knew how Gus would be killed at the end of season 4.

In season 2, the one that ended with the aircrash, there was foreshadowing of the finale in the first episode. The first episode kept showing an eyeball floating in the pool which was revealed much later in the series to belong to a stuffed animal from the crash above

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    edith head said:
    hogginthefogg said:
    I love it too, but now that I think about it, i doubt Gilligan and crew knew how Gus would be killed at the end of season 4.

In season 2, the one that ended with the aircrash, there was foreshadowing of the finale in the first episode. The first episode kept showing an eyeball floating in the pool which was revealed much later in the series to belong to a stuffed animal from the crash above

Yeah, they definitely have swaths of the season arc planned before they start production, although they may not have all of the specifics planned out. A lot of people noticed Mike was coughing in early episodes this season. They probably knew that Mike needed to be somehow out of the picture if Walt had any chance of getting to Gus, so they had an illness story line forshadowed. But then realized that they can have him wounded and recuperating in Mexico. This is just speculation on my part, I haven't read all of the Vince Gilligan interviews for season 4.

Apparently they did not have season 3 mapped out as rigorously. I don't think they originally intended to kill off the Cousins so early in the season, but the writers realized as long as they existed as a threat, they would overshadow any other narrative threads. Season 3 is a great season, although unlike seasons two and four it ends with a cliff-hanger, which I find slightly less satisfying.

• This is amazing and was done prior to the last episode:

• edith head said:

And the Camera flashes would signify the explosion??
    Or am I over-thinking???

• I'm a bit late on this thread, but I've just finished watching series 4.

This program is TV crack.

Upon watching I thought Gus had done the poisoning with the Ricin, and had used his influence within the hospital to amend the toxicology report to say that it was Lilly Of The Valley, perhaps knowing it was in the garden. How would his goons have known to pick Jesse up at that time otherwise? You wouldn't sit in a parked car outside a police station indefinitely surely, so they'd have to know he was being released, right?

Sounds like I'm wrong, but I just wanted to share that.

• Hank and Saul are absolutely class. As is Mike.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    djwaxon said:
    I'm a bit late on this thread, but I've just finished watching series 4.

Upon watching I thought Gus had done the poisoning with the Ricin, and had used his influence within the hospital to amend the toxicology report to say that it was Lilly Of The Valley, perhaps knowing it was in the garden. How would his goons have known to pick Jesse up at that time otherwise? You wouldn't sit in a parked car outside a police station indefinitely surely, so they'd have to know he was being released, right?

Sounds like I'm wrong, but I just wanted to share that.

Yeah, you're definitely off there. That would completely water down the impact of that finale, trying to show how ruthless Walt had gotten, which was the point.

I'm sure they had a way of finding out when he was being released. In fact, you mentioned how they could have found out the results of the toxicology report via Gus's connections to the hospital. Or, just through some police connection.

Or, I think that Gus absolutely would have people waiting outside of the station for a long-ass time to pick up Jesse if they knew it was crucial to do so.

• djwaxon said:
    I'm a bit late on this thread, but I've just finished watching series 4.

I just had dinner with a friend this evening who mentioned he just finished Season 1 and I was like whaaa?? He was talking about how there were some scenes he had to fast-forward because it was so stressful & lingering on tension, like when Tio was ringing the bell to try to communicate to Tuco they just poisoned his food. I had to bite my tongue and not say that it was going to get WAYYY crazier. He is going to lose his shit when he sees two planes crash in the sky because Walt let smacked out Jesse's girlfriend die.

• I love how you'll get to a point in this show where you think it's gotten as dark as it'll get, then something else comes along to push it to the next level.

Re: Brock, I guess part of me didn't want to think that Walt was capable of such a thing. I hope in some way there's further detail of Gus's past in the next series, maybe Chile will get involved or something.

I've really enjoyed making my way through this thread whilst watching it, so thanks to people for that.

• I love how you'll get to a point in this show where you think it's gotten as dark as it'll get, then something else comes along to push it to the next level.

Re: Brock, I guess part of me didn't want to think that Walt was capable of such a thing. I hope in some way there's further detail of Gus's past in the next series, maybe Chile will get involved or something.

I've really enjoyed making my way through this thread whilst watching it, so thanks to people for that.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    djwaxon said:
    Hank and Saul are absolutely class.
    I love Saul, but "class" isnt the word Id use to describe him

• Haha yeah, I'm using class in the local sense of the word I guess!

• marathon on TV today starting from the pilot.

i completely forgot how perfectly crafted the mercurial emotions of walter and krazy 8 were during the bike-lock episode.

also.... i dont think a character has ever been as slowly vindicated as hank over a 5 season length.