Breaking Bad

Comments

• dollar_bin said:
    I have issues with the depiction of a Gas Chromatograph. A big digital display on the front giving % purity is not how they typically operate.

But that was the first 96 Jesse ever got!

• I guess 96% is pure enough for the cartel but it still isn't as good as Walter's.
    96 is what Gale guaranteed to Gus but he then said that Walters meth was 99% pure
    and that those 3% would make a huge difference.

• what a rewarding episode. i love seeing jesse step up and exceed everyone's low expectations of him. it also appears that he has beat some sense (and guilt) back into Walt.

i really hope the next episode follows through and shows a continuation of their escape out of mexico. it would be really crummy if it started off with them back in ABQ, but I can understand that it's TV and they probably don't really have a budget for drawn out action-filled cat & mouse chase scenes

• hogginthefogg said:
    dollar_bin said:
    I have issues with the depiction of a Gas Chromatograph. A big digital display on the front giving % purity is not how they typically operate.

But that was the first 96 Jesse ever got!

I loved that metaphor. He was always a low performer in school and as capt cook. I loved how Gus and Mike looked at him like proud parents and I am also relieved that they weren't playing the nurture card purely as a tactic to influence Jesse

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    edith head said:
    what a rewarding episode. i love seeing jesse step up and exceeding everyone's low expectations of him. it also appears that he has beat some sense (and guilt) back into Walt.

i really hope the next episode follows through and shows a continuation of their escape out of mexico. it would be really crummy if it started off with them back in ABQ, but I can understand that it's TV and they probably don't really have a budget for drawn out action-filled cat & mouse chase scenes

Oh, I would be very surprised if they skipped all the details of them getting out of Mexico. They did get there by a private plane of the cartel, after all, so leaving out how they got back would be a pretty big hole. I am really looking forward to see how things go in the last three episodes. I really have no idea at this point.

• The ending scene with the heartbeat and walt laughing was great. That felt like a season finale.

• It made me shudder; I felt like I was looking at Walt in his own grave. Great ep, super creepy ending.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    4 seasons in and it's still one of the best shows on tv.

Ending was crazy...

• ladyday said:
    It made me shudder; I felt like I was looking at Walt in his own grave. Great ep, super creepy ending.
    YES. The camera panning out was like watching him get buried.
    Great end to the episode.

Kafkaesque even.

• are we watching Walt break??

It seemed like everything was gonna end last night.....2 more left in the season....things are about to get heavy....this season is hellauously intense...

• i really liked the episode, but it's difficult for me to get past how illogical it was for Skylar to give Ted the money without consulting Walt. if she didn't do this, we would never get the entertainment of seeing how Walt gets out of this situation, but it's just not consistent with how she has acted in the past 4 seasons.

At the beginning of the season, AMC were advertising Season 4 as how Walter White is back, but this time he's not in danger, he is the danger. Not exactly what's happening! That more aptly describes Season 3 I think. This season he has just become more and more pathetic and desperate. The writers have really written him into a corner. It should all be interesting. I have faith that Walt and Jesse will be on the same side again before the show is over, though.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    i really liked the episode, but it's difficult for me to get past how illogical it was for Skylar to give Ted the money without consulting Walt. if she didn't do this, we would never get the entertainment of seeing how Walt gets out of this situation, but it's just not consistent with how she has acted in the past 4 seasons.

Considering everything Walt has done to date without telling Skyler, giving Ted $600K is practically a drop in the bucket.

dollar_bin said:
    keithvanhorn said:
    i really liked the episode, but it's difficult for me to get past how illogical it was for Skylar to give Ted the money without consulting Walt. if she didn't do this, we would never get the entertainment of seeing how Walt gets out of this situation, but it's just not consistent with how she has acted in the past 4 seasons.

Considering everything Walt has done to date without telling Skyler, giving Ted $600K is practically a drop in the bucket.

Not only that, but Skylar was all worried about laundering the amount of money that was coming in. When there was a potential IRS problem that would have been all her fault, she could take care of the IRS problem, as well as get rid of 600K all at once. As far as she knew, in the long run that amount of money would go unnoticed, so it made her life easier as well as solving the Ted problem. Considering it was her fault, she didn't want to tell Walt, and thought she could take care of it herself. Seemed all pretty natural to me.

• Plus the guilt over the affair.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im pretty sure skylar called walt a bunch before she had sal give dude money but walt didnt answer

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    What happened to Ted. Did he died?

• Was anyone else under the impression that there were millions in the crawl space? I thought that $600k, while sizable, wouldn't really make a dent.

And yes, Ted died (in a surprising moment of slapstick black humor).

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Interesting to see Gus drop the mask a little after Jesse saw him at death's door. Looks as if the mask is staying dropped too.

I wondered how they'd top last week's episode for drama, but they did it. The tension was excruciating in almost every scene.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    Was anyone else under the impression that there were millions in the crawl space? I thought that $600k, while sizable, wouldn't really make a dent.

How long has he been working for Gus? $3mil a year (I think?), $600k plus the car wash money and however much Hank cost them doesn't leave much left.

Brian said:
    hogginthefogg said:
    Was anyone else under the impression that there were millions in the crawl space? I thought that $600k, while sizable, wouldn't really make a dent.

How long has he been working for Gus? $3mil a year (I think?), $600k plus the car wash money and however much Hank cost them doesn't leave much left.

I thought it was $3 mil for the first 3 months. But then again, they had to buy the carwash, and Saul gets paid a chunk.

• walters expenses:

-hanks medical bills
    -flynns TWO cars!
    -car wash
    -ongoing hotel fees
    -saul's fees
    -misc. home costs (baby,gas, etc.)

...thats all i could think of right now but thats a healthy chunk..and he hasnt even been working for gus for a year yet...

• dollar_bin said:
    keithvanhorn said:

I saw it as pride. Skylar has been so nitpicky and naggy with Walt about being careful about their money and this huge thing comes back to bite them in the ass and it's actually her fault for once.

I saw Ted being dead coming from a mile away, but I surely did not expect it come as an accident.

• Grandfather said:
    ladyday said:
    It made me shudder; I felt like I was looking at Walt in his own grave. Great ep, super creepy ending.
    YES. The camera panning out was like watching him get buried.
    Great end to the episode.

Kafkaesque even.

He dug his own grave!

I loved the scene where Walt appears at Jesse's house during a "normal family moment" and he was being shoved off his lawn as the unwanted degenerate. The tables have turned! It was beautifully photographed scene and quality episode as a whole

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• i'm excited for the season finale, but that ricin plot twist was

it's not far fetched to think that gus bugged jesse's house and therefore knew about it, BUT, why would jesse assume it was walt?

also, what if gus had not parked in an area that was visible to rooftops?

it was still a good episode, but a little sloppy.

keithvanhorn said:
    i'm excited for the season finale, but that ricin plot twist was

it's not far fetched to think that gus bugged jesse's house and therefore knew about it, BUT, why would jesse assume it was walt?

Because as far as Jesse knew, only he and Walt knew about it. So that leaves Walt. And Jesse doesn't think things through, especially when he's riled up. I thought this was all pretty clear from the scene.

also, what if gus had not parked in an area that was visible to rooftops?

it was still a good episode, but a little sloppy.

Then Walt would have watched him from somewhere else.

You are being really really picky.

• since when has walt killed a child? it would be totally out of his character. the only basis to believe that gus' plot makes sense is if you take jesse for an idiot and believe that he would kill walt before asking any questions. it was way too speculative to be coming from the expert criminal mind of gus...and disappointing as a viewer that it is such an integral part of the end of the season.

keithvanhorn said:
    since when has walt killed a child? it would be totally out of his character. the only basis to believe that gus' plot makes sense is if you take jesse for an idiot and believe that he would kill walt before asking any questions. it was way too speculative to be coming from the expert criminal mind of gus...and disappointing as a viewer that it is such an integral part of the end of the season.

Like I said, Jesse does not think things through, especially when he's riled up. This has been the case since the first episode. Just because the plan may not have worked, does not mean it was a bad plan on Gus's part. We already went through this on the whole "How did he know he was going to drink the Tequila?". Because Gus sees what's going to happen, most of the time.

If Jesse had not gone to kill Walt, Gus just would have convinced Jesse that the kid being poisoned, or something else bad, was Walt's fault. It was a plan, and it happened to almost work. Because Jesse gets jacked up and emotional really easily. Plus he was already pissed at Walt.

So, your main complaint here is that the plan was not good enough to have come from Gus? Maybe the whole point is that Gus does take Jesse to be an idiot and gullible (which he is to some degree). But Walt knows him better. Gus just underestimated their relationship. I'm still not sure what you're arguing here, exactly.

• The writers and producers have said from the very beginning that Walt does something completely terrible this season. So much so that he is unforgivable. I'm pretty sure Walt poisoned Brock. He did it to get Gus out in the open and give himself an opportunity. That is the reason Gus thought to go back into the hospital. Gus sensed that if Brock was poisoned and if it wasn't him, then that only leaves Heisenburg.