It's Summer! (Grilling Thread)

1235»

Comments

• bassie said:
    If and when you exhaust the burger thing, I would love to hear some grilled fish tips/recipes.

I have only done the foil package method but want to put things right on the grill. I am both new grilling and cooking flesh. What is a good dense fish that won't fall apart as it begins to cook?

Thank You.

I've been marinating salmon in fish sauce, a little brown sugar, green onion, ginger, jalepeno, cilantro, and mint. Marinate for an hour or less and put skin side down on the grill (coals on one side, fish on the other). Holds up really well. Squirt with lime.

Same marinade with tuna steaks, but on direct heat for less time.

Also, whole trout and snapper hold up well. I stuff the cavity with cilantro, garlic, jalepeno or serano, lime slices, salt. For snapper, score a few slits in each side of the body (down to the bone) and stuff the slits with the herbs / marinade. grill in one of those fish cages.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Turkey burgers.

BAN

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Whatever, like I'm not making/eating beef burgers 85% of the time.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    GV has the grilled fish game on lock
    i definitely let my plank dry out
    but the packaging said 3 hours (mind you this was for ribs )
    shrimp takes the cedar smoke taste very well
    scallops though i can't think of smoked scallops being better than pan fried perfection
    as far as other fish obviously there is also trout but my experience has been that dorade works great
    i see that the one rick moonen also recommends (great fish book btw)
    think of a glaze as well to finish off your cut just like a good BBQ sauce on meat (hoisin is a simple one that works great on salmon but maple syrup with a tandoori spiced salmon is my steez as well)

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    this all sounds so good -thank you!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    dorade= sea bream btw (we've got a lot in canadia)
    i work with grey dorade and preserved lemon/capers combo

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Fatback said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Turkey burgers.

BAN

"Here's mine. It's a hamburger made out of meat on a bun with nothing. Add ketchup if you want, I couldn't care less."

Ron Swanson rules.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i don't like putting BBQ sauce in the burger meat
    salt,pepper,italian breadcrumbs with parsley,Worcestershire, splash of tabasco, homemade basil pesto, montreal steak spice
    flip only once

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    beef and salt

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    bassie said:
    If and when you exhaust the burger thing, I would love to hear some grilled fish tips/recipes.

I have only done the foil package method but want to put things right on the grill. I am both new grilling and cooking flesh. What is a good dense fish that won't fall apart as it begins to cook?

Thank You.

Any steak fish will work.

Of the non-steak fish, Salmon, Blue Fish, Striped Bass (in season right now) all work well. In fact, Striped Bass is one of my favorite fish of all.

Many recipes will work. Marinate for a half hour tops (if you do more it may turn into ceviche, which will conflict with the grilling). Coat the skin side with olive oil and put directly on a CLEAN grill. I put a foil 'tent' over the top, but this is not always necessary. Cook on low heat. If the coals are still flaming or blazing hot, wait a bit. Watch carefully as fish can overcook very quickly. As soon as a fork can pass through easily, it's done.

For marinade, I prefer white wine over lemon, and use whatever herbs/spices appeal to you. Include some olive oil also.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    pcmr said:

i definitely let my plank dry out
    but the packaging said 3 hours (mind you this was for ribs )

Ah, ok, I guess since ribs take much longer it would make sense for the wood to smoke slower. I thought you meant soak a long time for fish. So when you do ribs on a plank, do you put the plank directly over the coals?

Bassie, mahi mahi and halibut are also great on the grill. I cook fish on medium high heat, except for tuna that I cook on high heat just to get a sear as I like my tuna really rare. I like to dry rub most fish and then top them off with a lime-ginger butter. For the butter I cook ginger and shallots in a skillet, then add some honey and lime, cook until slightly reduced, when it cools off I put it in a food processor with the butter, combine, and finally it goes back in the fridge. Put a dollop on top of your fish right when it ocmes off the grill, super tasty.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    So when you do ribs on a plank, do you put the plank directly over the coals?
    close but not on top
    and i spray the shit out of it because i cook them long

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Generally speaking, to me, the less you do to fish the better.
    Lemon, butter, garlic, heat, smoke are all good.

For salmon I do an overnight brine of salt and sugar and smoke with indirect heat until just done.

For m y next trick im gonna try smoking some Yucca.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    batmon said:
    For m y next trick im gonna try smoking some Yucca.

let us know please
    i love it in soup but if not i must have it fried and a positive smoking experience would help me lose some babybackfat on my own rack (no manboob)

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    for all you balcony bbq'rs

Astor Wohnideen - BBQ Bruce Handrail Grill

bassie said:

Thank You.

Monkfish

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    batmon said:
    bassie said:

Thank You.

Monkfish

I like Bluefish (as mentioned above)
    Striped Bass
    Salmon
    Halibut
    Swordfish

For steak fish, you flip 'em - for filets I prefer skin side down on the grill and cook them through without turning, oil up the skin and the grill.

EDIT: D'oh - I see I posted the same thing above like two years ago - I've inhaled too much smoke!

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I hardly stray from beef/chicken/pork on the grill but cotdam do I love me some grilled veggies. I'll grill every veggie I can and love using them for a great salsa too. That smokey flavor in salsa is THE BESSS.

I updated to this last fall.
    Ridiculously expensive.
    No more spending 8,10,12 hours with a brisket on the weber trying to keep the temp steady.

Just started doing ribs first time in my life.
    Got real high marks from friends for the "Memphis" style ribs I did a few weeks ago.
    Plan to do Viet inspired ribs this weekend.

As for grilling, used the weber for what it does best this past weekend, kielbasa, onions and peppers.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    if you just want a knockaround piece, this was $100 at ikea. good for firing in the car and taking to the park, beach, or any other activity that might kick the shit out of your main bbq

was at the beach on one of the toronto islands for may long weekend and got to see a myriad of bbq manouevres. one group of dudes were roasting a pork shoulder wrapped in pork belly on an open flame, and then some bajan dudes dug a big whole and filled it with foil and leaves and starting jerkin' the shit out some chicken. day at the beach surrounded by those smells on one of the first nice weather days of the year after a long mf'in winter was some "died and gone to heaven" shit.

has anyone here had experience using those fancy electronic stokers for their smoking?

Some of them look pretty dam awesome.

I went with salmon, halibut and grouper - not at the same time. Simple marinades - white wine, lime, olive oil and some sort of pepper heat, depending on what flavour I was in the mood for (scotchbonnets, wiri wiri and a few splashes of green el yucateco were popular). There was some tearing and breakage on the grill, but I got better at it.

I also did a Walkerswood jerk marinade. That was OFF THE HOOK. OH.MY.GOSH.

Going to recreate the foil packs of grouper, onions, carrots and scotchbonnet that sustained me in the Bahamas this year.

Thank You SoulStrut.

Grandfather said:
    has anyone here had experience using those fancy electronic stokers for their smoking?

Yes. I posted a pic a few posts back.

Here is a pic of my Thanksgiving turkey which I spatchcocked and smoked.

Lately I have been smoking almonds. Can't tell you how good they are.
    Dipped some in chocolate, but you can't have that just sitting around the house.

bassie said:
    I went with salmon, halibut and grouper - not at the same time. There was some tearing and breakage on the grill, but I got better at it..

Grill Basket

ooooh - yes!

LaserWolf said:
    Grandfather said:

That looks like an electric smoker. I mean a fire stoker kit like the ones sold here:
    https://www.rocksbarbque.com/Systems.html

I've read lots of information saying they can keep a fire in a weber kettle or whatever you're using to smoke consistent.

Grandfather said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Grandfather said:

That looks like an electric smoker. I mean a fire stoker kit like the ones sold here:
    https://www.rocksbarbque.com/Systems.html

I've read lots of information saying they can keep a fire in a weber kettle or whatever you're using to smoke consistent.

Wow. I never even heard of these.
    So they help keep the temp steady by controlling air flow. If I am understanding.
    Kind of cool.
    For the cost you might want to upgrade to an electric smoker.
    Or a big green egg which (I am told) does a great job holding a steady temp.

All the electronic thermometers I used with the weber died after a few times.