HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Time to fire up the charcoal!

I busted out the grill for the first time this evening - on the menu:

-Bluefish marinated in Pilsner, olive oil, Cajun spices and shallots
-Oysters w/pesto, pepper and parmesan
- Zucchini, mushrooms and onions in balamic, olive oil, pepper and herbs

Lump charcoal, no fluid of course.

I got the oysters myself courtesy of my resident shellfish permit and the Bluefish was fresh from the harbor. I spent some time last year perfecting my technique, and now I'm obsessed with grilling fish. A lot of people don't like Bluefish, but I love it, it's cheap and it's not endangered. It also grills up real nice. Not shown, but I put a little foil 'tent' over the fish so it cooks through without having to flip it.

What's on your grill?

Comments

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Last week, the highlight was a Snake River Farms Kobe flatiron. Ridiculous. Foie-stuffed burgers, as well. It's not always like that, though. My co-workers decided to bring their A game out of the kitchen.

http://store.snakeriverfarms.com/steak-ready-flat-iron/default.aspx

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    My neighbor called me up to grill for her and her weed-head friends( a couple of young cuties....).

She made rice and beans, marinated chicken, and hot dogs.

I brought/made my Jerk steak.

Gonna grill some Jerk Pork chops, Red Hots, and Corn on the Cob this weekend.

Im steppin up from a portable 14" to a 18 or 22" Weber this month.

Just ordered a big ass bag of Pimento wood chips for that real smoke shit.

I need a fuskin night lite.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I like Blue Fish a lot too, but only grilling it, it stinks up your house for days if you do it on the stove.

I dusted off the grill yesterday as well. I smoked a pork shoulder, 6.5 hours, had been sitting in a dry rub overnight. When that was done I grilled eggplant, zuchinni, corn on the cob, hot dogs, and veggie burgers for the wife and kid. Potato salad, and quinoa salad got served as well.

Tonight its fresh tuna steaks from a Long Island day boat, with left over sides from last night.

Tomorrow its beer can chicken.

At some point I have a pineapple to grill, then top with vanilla ice cream and chocolate shavings.

Sixpoint is canning their beers now, the Benagali Tiger is amazing, the Crisp isn't bad either.

Will probably get a growler of something today too. So happy its finally summer.

• meistromocomeistromoco 953 Posts
    last week: Al Pastor (pork marinated in all kinds of stuff -- orange juice, vinegar, ancho chili, chipotle in adobo, cilantro, green onion, cinnamon, hot paprika, garlic, lime, cumin)

grilled pineapple and cilantro salsa

Yesterday was hamburgers, fancy sausages, asparagus in citrus vinaigrette, peppers

tomatillos, onion, jalapeno for salsa

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    batmon said:

Get the 22", you won't regret it. It's a lot more versitile than the 18", particularly for indirect grilling techniques.

dollar_bin said:
    batmon said:

Get the 22", you won't regret it. It's a lot more versitile than the 18", particularly for indirect grilling techniques.

cool

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    How many Tri-Staters tested out the barbie last night, got drunk, passed out, and left the grill uncovered?! Heavy downpour at about 6am! I was burning scrub in a fire pit. Major gunk in there right now that would have been great charcoal today.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I never tried bluefish off the grill before - need to def do that. When we used to spend our summers in New England as a kid I wasn't really down with fish --- however bluefish patte was the jump off!!

2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1/4 pound smoked bluefish or smoked trout, skin discarded and fish chopped
    3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives

-- Stir together shallot, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, then beat in cream cheese, bluefish, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper with a spoon until combined well. Stir in chives.

Throw that shit on some crackers...ya done.

As for other grill jump offs -- does anyone else ride like I do for Trader Joe's carne asada? So def.

• Wagyu rubbed with a smidgen of garlic, butter, s&p
    Scampi or Bugs with a little lemon, s&p
    Sushi quality Kingfish seared HOT and QUICK for carparccio, bit of lemon, pomengrante seeds, baby oregano OR W/ Fennel Confit
    Forequarter of Lamb with rosemary, garlic and grated lemon rind
    Banana Chili's stuffed with Goats Cheese, s&p, good olive oil
    Eel with a little julienne baby ginger and good soy

Good produce with simple embellishments is how we try to roll

Oysters on the BBQ could get you killed (socially that is) in my country

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'm so bummed that my current apartment setup does not allow for grilling. I pretty much live by the rule that anything is better cooked over real wood smoke. Apartment dudes???what's the really when it comes to a portable you can take to the park? Talmbout something I can haul by hand with one of those old lady shopping cart dealies. Actually, talmbout acquiring one of those old lady shopping cart dealies specifically to transport a grill, charcoal, and cooler to the park. It's about a 25 minute walk. But I will be damned to hell before I give up my god-given right to cook meats over an open fire.

• DB_Cooper said:
    I'm so bummed that my current apartment setup does not allow for grilling. I pretty much live by the rule that anything is better cooked over real wood smoke. Apartment dudes???what's the really when it comes to a portable you can take to the park? Talmbout something I can haul by hand with one of those old lady shopping cart dealies. Actually, talmbout acquiring one of those old lady shopping cart dealies specifically to transport a grill, charcoal, and cooler to the park. It's about a 25 minute walk. But I will be damned to hell before I give up my god-given right to cook meats over an open fire.

get a konro.....

DB_Cooper said:

is your roof accessible?

i just got finished with some jerk, and now im using the remaining coal to rock some corn on da cob that ill use for a black bean salad.

DB, u could cop a portable weber thats easy to transport. a table top joint or a 14" grill.
    It works for me but the space restrictions are a bitch.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    have been doing a lot of grilling in our backyard in NOLA, mostly blackened catfish, fresh corn, asparagus, zucchini, turkey burgers, and lots and lots of shrimp.

The shrimp is the most delicious stuff, and it's extremely quick and easy. I get about 1-2 pounds of shrimp, marinade them in a bowl with the juice of about 10 limes and ton of salt. lots of salt. then i just do about 3 rounds of 1/3 of the shrimp wrapped in tin foil. takes maybe 6 minutes, take off once they've turned pink.

so good. mostly washed down with Abita wheat or daiquiris.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    batmon said:
    DB_Cooper said:

is your roof accessible?

i just got finished with some jerk, and now im using the remaining coal to rock some corn on da cob that ill use for a black bean salad.

DB, u could cop a portable weber thats easy to transport. a table top joint or a 14" grill.

I have a Weber Smokey Joe (14") - they work great and can be had for $30 or so. The lid clamps down, which can come in handy when the park ranger tells you to move. I fill it up with charcoal when I use it, otherwise it burns out pretty quick.

That Korin looks nice, but it's expensive and pretty small.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I just want to say that the weber has been in use all winter.

I do a lot more smoking than grilling these days.

If you want to smoke your food, the 22" weber with charcoal baskets works.

I want to get an electric smoker, but all I am seeing are cheap brinkmens. I want something with some integrity and a rheostat.

besides briquettes where do yall cop various wood chunks?

will my local home depot lumber dept have cherry and apple wood?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    For my smoked meat I am using maple that I get in 25# bags from a wholesaler.
    Just about any place that sells grills will sell wood chips these days. My local market stocks mesquite wood chips and cedar planks.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the big chains like depot have cherry at least
    cedar planks for shrimp skewers are the shit
    i like them because you can cook your fish, ribs or shrimp (some even have desings that make for good presentation dish)
    and then break them down and reuse them as smoke wood

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    batmon said:
    She made marinated chicken
    I brought my Jerk steak

I like to imagine Cam'ron rapping these lines.

For real, though, I too rock a Smokey Joe but am thinking of stepping up to something with more real estate so that I can apply that, uh, indirect pressure.

The second-worst grilled thing I ever ate was some hot dogs grilled over a massive fire of old newspapers. It was like being gagged by an oily finger of foaming gap-filler.

my home depot does have packaged hickory and mesquite chunks and chips, but im wondering if the local/regional demand is too low for other varieties.

i gotta try the cedar plank. soak then apply some fish.

my Fish game is wack. i need to step up.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    batmon, i mostly buy my woodchips at the ace or menards hardware store around the way. they have a good variety too...

i've been perfecting my Otto Burgers (until a better name comes to mind)... 1/2 beef, 1/2 pork, spices, filled with gouda cheese, smoked for a few hours and then plopped on the grill for a couple minutes and served on an onion bun... oh the deliciousness.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    batmon said:
    DB_Cooper said:

is your roof accessible?

The access door to the roof is alarmed, which I learned a couple months in when the thing went off right above my apartment (living on the top floor directly next to the staircase-related). Shit sounds like an air raid siren. Major decibels. I would not be averse to busting the alarm, but it's so loud that trial and error isn't a viable option. It puts the whole damn building on alert.

I think I may have to cop a portable Weber and an old-person shopping cart. I can deal with space restrictions???my last grill was pretty small, and I'm usually only cooking for two, four at most.

For real, though? The thing I'm missing most right now is grilled corn. Not even the meats. Grilled corn. Peel back the husk, apply a heavy spice/olive oil paste, put the husk back down, and grill it up. Gets all smoky from the burning husk. Plus spicy and the sweetness of the corn. God damn.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    bought 100 fresh oysters yesterday for $40, grilled them all in half-shell with a butter/onion sauce on top. pimms cups accompanied.

:beerbang:

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I don't grill. We have two balconies but unfortunately, they're too small.
    Back in Guinea I grilled a lot. The local Lebanese butcher had great merguez and really nice pork chops but I was frustrated that he wouldn't know what spare ribs are. I tried to explain but failed, then I downloaded a bunch of images and showed him on my laptop and from then on he did an amazing job at cutting them... I bought this dark wild honey on the market which was a bit smokey in flavor because they would use smoke to get the bees to leave the nest when harvesting it and to keep them from attacking the harvester. It was sold in quart bottles for $2 each, usually with about an inch or two of dead bees in the neck of the bottle. I heated up a whole bottle of this great stuff, added crushed habaneros (in francophone Africa they're called pili-pili), lime juice, garlic, tomato paste, salt and pepper and let it simmer for a while until it became thick and was almost beginning to caramelize, I applied a thick coat of the sauce which was more of a paste onto the ribs (of course one quart of honey would result in way more than I would need for one or two slabs of ribs, I put the rest in jars for later use) . We had a simple but large circular grill with lid, I used indirect heat by placing a large flat aluminum pot with water (I later upgraded to beer because using beer instead of water is almost always a good thing) onto the charcoal (bought locally in the bush, so much better than the store bought stuff and gives great flavor). This would also prevent the fat that was dripping down from the ribs to ignite and burn them. I closed the lid and kept it close for 50-60 minutes. Because the honey bbq sauce was already dehydrated, it turned into an evenly caramelized crust, these ribs were like spicy pork candy, sinfully delicious.

Before leaving the US next year I'm going to buy a big smoker and a ton of wood. I never used one before, does anybody have any suggestions? I want to buy something solid, it doesn't have to be too large but I want something serious and not a toy.

any chance of getting that smoked honey in the states?

ive read that the green egg smoker is pretty good. google it.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I don't think there's any chance of legally importing a product like this into the US... I regret not having brought some bottles of honey and local palm oil (delicious but very unhealthy). Since our 40 ft container still had room and was untouchable for customs this would have been easy but I was too occupied with moving all of the records, furniture, car etc.

Thanx for the pointer to the Green Egg grill/smoker. I've seen this before but somehow I'm not too crazy about the white interior. I mean it's clear that you wipe it down after every use but won't the white start to look nasty pretty soon? You're not supposed to scrub the interior of a smoker with oven cleaner or any other harsh chemical cleaning agents, no?

that i wouldnt know about. im sure there are some bbq forums that havet dudes discussiing maintenance.

it probably gains a petina like a wok. dont quote me though.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    batmon said:
    any chance of getting that smoked honey in the states?

ive read that the green egg smoker is pretty good. google it.

canadian made! thx for reminding me i biked near a dealer once but forgot how i got there
    Will cop soon and report back