It's Summer! (Grilling Thread)

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    however bluefish patte was the jump off!!

2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1/4 pound smoked bluefish or smoked trout, skin discarded and fish chopped
    3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives

-- Stir together shallot, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, then beat in cream cheese, bluefish, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper with a spoon until combined well. Stir in chives.

Throw that shit on some crackers...ya done.

Thanks for posting this.

I was at my favorite local seafood market the other day and the smoked blue, which they do themselves, was looking particularly fine, so I copped and went to it. And since I can't leave well enough alone, I added some Cajun spices and minced celery and it was totally addictive!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    batmon said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    batmon said:
    im fuckin sick of chicken, beef, and pork.

How's your brisket game? Or are you just grilling?

i dont own a smoker and dont have the facilities to rock a brisket.

just grillin.......yawn. ill grill a fuckin smurf at this point.

Time to start experimenting with home made marinades and wood planks.

I need to move on to brisket, but I only have a oil barrel type grill, which only does offset, making temp a bit hard to control, mainly it gets too hot. I've been experimenting with less charcoal but then I need to add more loads and the smoke penetration isn't optimal. My pork shoulder and smoked chicken game is on point, but those are forgiving cuts.

Do u use a Bone-In Shoulder? And how long is the cooking take. More than three hours?

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Bone-in with the fat cap on. I then use a knife to peel back the fat and put rub underneath and on top, and then I put the fat back on, using either butcher's twine or bamboo skewers to hold it in place. If you don't use something to keep the fat in place it will slide back as you cook the shoulder. Cooking time is usually one hour per pound with the temp between 300-225, or until you reach a 180 degree internal temp.

Also try to rub the shoulder at least 12 hours before cooking, preferrably 24 hours. And try to have the shoulder come to room temp before cooking it.

If you want to do cochinita pibil, use a 4lb boneless shoulder and cut it into big chunks. Marinate over night in a blended mix of one cup of orange juice, 1/2 cup of lime juice, adobo, 5 crushed garlic cloves, 3 ounces of achiote rojo, and 3 bay leaves (wash your blender quickly or the achiote will stain it). Heat a banana leaf until pliable, put chunks of pork and marinade in the center, fold, tie up, and smoke for four hours. Serve with pickled red onions, chopped cilantro, and lime wedges. Eat in tortillas or over rice.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    'bout to grill some pork chops with some balsamic and honey glazed peaches...never done peaches before...round side down first or flat side first?

Garcia_Vega said:
    Bone-in with the fat cap on. I then use a knife to peel back the fat and put rub underneath and on top, and then I put the fat back on, using either butcher's twine or bamboo skewers to hold it in place. If you don't use something to keep the fat in place it will slide back as you cook the shoulder. Cooking time is usually one hour per pound with the temp between 300-225, or until you reach a 180 degree internal temp.

Also try to rub the shoulder at least 12 hours before cooking, preferrably 24 hours. And try to have the shoulder come to room temp before cooking it.

If you want to do cochinita pibil, use a 4lb boneless shoulder and cut it into big chunks. Marinate over night in a blended mix of one cup of orange juice, 1/2 cup of lime juice, adobo, 5 crushed garlic cloves, 3 ounces of achiote rojo, and 3 bay leaves (wash your blender quickly or the achiote will stain it). Heat a banana leaf until pliable, put chunks of pork and marinade in the center, fold, tie up, and smoke for four hours. Serve with pickled red onions, chopped cilantro, and lime wedges. Eat in tortillas or over rice.

good looks...

ive already done the pork shoulder in banana leaves y achiote thang with a dutch oven so im no stranger to that but i guess ill try what uv been tellin me bout for minute.

i tried to fuckin do a shoulder on my little og grill and the flair ups were nasty.

The_Hook_Up said:
    'bout to grill some pork chops with some balsamic and honey glazed peaches...never done peaches before...round side down first or flat side first?

flatside first. get the grill marks and then flip. a little salt wont hurt either.

To contain flare ups put a drip pan with water under the shoulder. If your grill is big enough put the coals on one side, and on the other side put the drip pan with water and the shoulder over it. The water from the drip pan will also help keep things moist. If your grill isn't big enough, then put the pan and shoulder in the middle with the coal around it.

Garcia_Vega said:
    To contain flare ups put a drip pan with water under the shoulder. If your grill is big enough put the coals on one side, and on the other side put the drip pan with water and the shoulder over it. The water from the drip pan will also help keep things moist. If your grill isn't big enough, then put the pan and shoulder in the middle with the coal around it.

i know this.

Do u spray every half an hour to maintain moisture?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    batmon said:
    Garcia_Vega said:

i know this.

batmon said:
    Garcia_Vega said:

i know this.

I neither mop nor spray a shoulder. I find the fat cap keeps it moist enough and I like some bark too. Plus, I think it might interfere with the crackling. But you def don't want to spray/mop every half hour, maybe every hour, need to leave your grill closed to get good smoke penetration.

No doubt.
    I wouldnt mop a shoulder. I would spray some shit on it just for some light moisture.
    I dont need to create a sauce crust. Just some liquid to blend w/ the surface fats.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    batmon said:
    Garcia_Vega said:

i know this.

I neither mop nor spray a shoulder. I find the fat cap keeps it moist enough and I like some bark too. Plus, I think it might interfere with the crackling. But you def don't want to spray/mop every half hour, maybe every hour, need to leave your grill closed to get good smoke penetration.

I have not done a pork shoulder.
    But like above, for smoking, I keep the lid closed as much as possible.
    The only times I baste is to put a finish on near the end of cooking.

On to...
    Did some chicken thighs last night, grilled, and am happy how they turned out. Got them home and did a quick marinade out of orange juice, soy sauce and ginger, because that is what I had at hand. Cooked them about 7 hours later. Tasty.

On to...
    Someone just told me about this guy who took a cherry stump he had, dished out the center a little, put some bricks around the outside and laid a grill across the bricks. He builds his fire right on the stump.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/hg/index.ssf/2011/07/vern_nelsonedible_gardening_a.html

batmon said:
    batmon said:
    There is only one brand of Lump Charcoal here at my local Home Depot.
    Cowboy Lump which i havent seen get rated high by BBQ dudes.

Recommendations Pleez.

I hunted down this brand at Eli's in Man-Hatt.

After striking out at Eli's, I trooped down to Cobble Hill this morning and copped at Union Market.
    Yuppie spot, but they had it.

Rockin ribs today.

Batmon, you checked out the grub street meatopia slide show. Interesting ideas on some of these dishes, might be some good inspiration for your BBQ boredom. http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2011/07/what_you_missed_at_meatopia.html#photo=1x00059

Garcia_Vega said:
    Batmon, you checked out the grub street meatopia slide show. Interesting ideas on some of these dishes, might be some good inspiration for your BBQ boredom. http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2011/07/what_you_missed_at_meatopia.html#photo=1x00059

whoa......

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    bourbon & BBQ FTW

some of those combos looked amazing
    i really need to start making my own sausage
    my frien'ds dad is the owner of a polish charcuterie near my house and he has a :face_melt: smoker

i copped some cedar planks pcmr.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    This oughtta set things off in this thread: Post your tips for perfect grilled burgers.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    This oughtta set things off in this thread: Post your tips for perfect grilled burgers.

I've only cooked burgers once or twice. I think the perfect ones are ones someone else makes for me.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    batmon said:

nice
    it works for ribs too btw
    i soak in beer and coffee when i make ribs
    the cedar is very present so it's not for everyone for meats but it's insane for fish or shrimp-skewers
    my advice is soak a long time and watch the wood, when the fish starts to flake up in the slightest its done

pcmr said:
    batmon said:

nice
    it works for ribs too btw
    i soak in beer and coffee when i make ribs
    the cedar is very present so it's not for everyone for meats but it's insane for fish or shrimp-skewers
    my advice is soak a long time and watch the wood, when the fish starts to flake up in the slightest its done

no doubt. ill probably start with a simple salmon and then work up from there once i get the hang of it.

DJ_Enki said:

i havent grilled burgers yet, but when i do make them for home i add some bacon fat to the patty.

pcmr said:
    batmon said:

I don't know about that. You shouldn't soak a plank for more than 30 minutes. Any more than that and the wood absorbs too much water, taking the plank forever to start smoking, and then your fire gets too cold. Allow the plank to dry before putting it on the grill too. Once the plank starts smoking then put the fish on top, and cover. I end up choking the fire a bit and cook for 12-15 minutes for salmon, 15-18 for swordfish. Never tried shrimp, scallops, or octopus, I figured those were too delicate for proper smoke penetration, but will check it out.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Turkey burgers...mix raw meat with Worsteshire Sauce, BBQ sauce, and spices, then mold into patties, and baste while cooking with the excess sauce.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:

Course Sea Salt (one pinch per patty)
    Freshly Ground Black Pepper (one healthy pinch per patty)
    Fresh Thyme, de-stemmed and coursely chopped (1 teaspoon per patty)
    Excellent Quality EV Olive Oil (1 teaspoon per patty)

Heat on the grill should be medium, place the patties in a circle around the perimiter of the grill (if circular). Grill for 10-15 minutes, flipping occasionally. Then, increase charcoal heat with a fresh batch of hot coals and cook 1-2 minutes per side toward the center of the grill.

I've always been of the school of keeping things simple and have found that to be successful. Too many ingredients / complex / next level marinades are usually not as good as the recipe above. Try it! The thyme is perfect in burgers, IMO.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    If and when you exhaust the burger thing, I would love to hear some grilled fish tips/recipes.

I have only done the foil package method but want to put things right on the grill. I am both new grilling and cooking flesh. What is a good dense fish that won't fall apart as it begins to cook?

Thank You.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    bassie said:
    If and when you exhaust the burger thing, I would love to hear some grilled fish tips/recipes.

I have only done the foil package method but want to put things right on the grill. I am both new grilling and cooking flesh. What is a good dense fish that won't fall apart as it begins to cook?

Thank You.

Salmon and swordfish are both good in that regard. I go pretty simply with the salmon and cook filets skin-side down directly on the grill. You can church it up however you want, but the idea is that the skin and it's oily under layer keep the fish from drying out from the direct heat. Swordfish can go directly on the grill as is.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    bassie said:
    What is a good dense fish that won't fall apart as it begins to cook?

Salmon.

Monkfish is thick like a steak.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I love grouper, how does it hold up? It's not super dense, but more hearty than other white fish, is that right?