It's Summer! (Grilling Thread)

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

So far this Summer (actually its still spring i guess) its been all about Beer Can Chicken.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There is only one brand of Lump Charcoal here at my local Home Depot.
    Cowboy Lump which i havent seen get rated high by BBQ dudes.

Recommendations Pleez.

batmon said:

Recommendations Pleez.

I hunted down this brand at Eli's in Man-Hatt.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    batmon said:

Recommendations Pleez.

That's what I use because I can get a big bag fairly cheap, but it seems to burn up quickly.

i just copped a blue weber 22.5 inch.

for my first trick im gonna do jerk duck.

im gonna set that bitch in some hot water to release some fat. dry it. smear the jerk all up over that bitch and then slow grill that bitch on my new grill w/ pimento chips and cherry wood chunks.

Horseleech said:
    batmon said:

Recommendations Pleez.

That's what I use because I can get a big bag fairly cheap, but it seems to burn up quickly.

I grilled some swordfish (I know it's evil, but I only buy it like once a year) in white wine, olive oil, fresh rosemary and cajun pepper last night with some vegetables w/balsamic glaze.

It was awesome but this charcoal kind of sucks. It burns really hot, almost too hot, and then dies out in a really short period of time. I've tried a few different approaches as far as lighting etc, but this happens every time. Plus, it's obviously scrap wood from construction/carpentry and I wonder if any treated wood is in there.

AVOID

im going to Elis and coppin that upgrade tmmw.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Horseleech said:

I grilled some swordfish (I know it's evil, but I only buy it like once a year)

Wait, why is swordfish evil?

b/w

Tonight's grilled entree: Bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin slices with fresh chimichurri

Last night's grilled entree: Rosemary-garlic chicken thighs

DJ_Enki said:
    Horseleech said:

It's full of mercury and it's (maybe) endangered, depending on who you believe.

My Super called me out for grillin' on the roof yesterday.

My only option now is drag that bitch to the courtyard and doin' my thing there.

FUSK.

batmon said:
    im going to Elis and coppin that upgrade tmmw.

Eli's doesnt carry that shit any more, and havent bothered to update their website.
    I trooped down there for no fuskin reason.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    batmon said:

My only option now is drag that bitch to the courtyard and doin' my thing there.

FUSK.

Bummer. I'm just ramping up my park game now. Copped the grill, the old-lady cart, a couple of canvas chairs. I just realized I'll need to sort the bathroom issue though. Can't be drinking a six-pack at the park with no place to relieve oneself.

• Horseleech said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    Horseleech said:

It's full of mercury and it's (maybe) endangered, depending on who you believe.

Monterey Bay thinks it's (mostly) alright.
    http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/SeafoodWatch/web/sfw_search.aspx?s=swordfish

I think I have perfected my burger recipe -- 85% lean with minced yellow onion, a squirt each of ketchup, worchestershire, liquid smoke, and some smoked hot paprika. A little salt and several cranks of pepper. Work it all GENTLY into the meat. I try to crumble the ground beef as best I can and mix / fold everything into the crumbles. Leaves them kind of cakey and loose. Don't mash it up or you will get a really dense hockey puck. Form into patties and sprinkle more liberally with salt on both sides just before you put them on the grill. American cheese.

DB_Cooper said:
    batmon said:

FUSK.

Bummer. I'm just ramping up my park game now. Copped the grill, the old-lady cart, a couple of canvas chairs. I just realized I'll need to sort the bathroom issue though. Can't be drinking a six-pack at the park with no place to relieve oneself.

Theres no wooded areas in the park? I'd pee-pee on a tree when no one is looking.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    batmon said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    batmon said:

FUSK.

Theres no wooded areas in the park? I'd pee-pee on a tree when no one is looking.

Oh, it's not for me. I can swing alternatives for myself. Tess, though...not so much.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    you need some pee funnels for ladies.

im fuckin sick of chicken, beef, and pork.

i need some venison up in this bitch!

fuck it - give me some squirrel, possom,frog, pidgeon,iguana,gator.......somethin else.

shit is getting boring. imma bout to roast a rat or a fuckin parrot. i dont care no more.

i need to check out Queens more and expand my shit.

• Woimsah said:
    however bluefish patte was the jump off!!

2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1/4 pound smoked bluefish or smoked trout, skin discarded and fish chopped
    3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives

-- Stir together shallot, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, then beat in cream cheese, bluefish, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper with a spoon until combined well. Stir in chives.

Throw that shit on some crackers...ya done.

NOICE

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    batmon said:

How's your brisket game? Or are you just grilling?

Garcia_Vega said:
    batmon said:

i dont own a smoker and dont have the facilities to rock a brisket.

just grillin.......yawn. ill grill a fuckin smurf at this point.

• +

=

jerkin is my shit but damn my mouf is tired of the same mouffeel.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    batmon said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    batmon said:

i dont own a smoker and dont have the facilities to rock a brisket.

just grillin.......yawn. ill grill a fuckin smurf at this point.

Time to start experimenting with home made marinades and wood planks.

I need to move on to brisket, but I only have a oil barrel type grill, which only does offset, making temp a bit hard to control, mainly it gets too hot. I've been experimenting with less charcoal but then I need to add more loads and the smoke penetration isn't optimal. My pork shoulder and smoked chicken game is on point, but those are forgiving cuts.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    Girlfriend and I tried this over the weekend... one of the best things we've made in a while:

Grilled Chicken Kebabs

Serves 4

Don't skimp on the marinating time; any less than 3 hours and the chicken won't be as flavorful or tender. Conversely, marinating for more than 6 hours will make the chicken mushy. Serve with Yogurt-Herb Dipping Sauce (see related recipe).

1/2 cup plain yogurt
    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    4 cloves garlic , minced (about 4 teaspoons)
    2 teaspoons dried thyme
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 teaspoon table salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    3 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 red bell peppers , cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 large red onion , prepared according to photo

1. Whisk yogurt, 1/4 cup oil, 1 tablespoon garlic, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, and cayenne in large bowl. Stir in chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 3 to 6 hours. Whisk remaining 1/4 cup oil, remaining teaspoon garlic, basil, and lemon juice in small bowl. Cover and refrigerate while chicken is marinating.

2. Remove chicken from yogurt marinade; discard marinade. Thread each skewer with 2 pieces pepper, 1 piece onion, 2 pieces chicken, and 1 piece onion. Repeat twice more, ending with 2 additional pieces of pepper. Grill over high heat until vegetables and chicken are charred around edges on all four sides and chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to serving platter and brush kebabs all over with lemon dressing. Serve.

chicken is boring

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    honestly cedar plank seafood (shrimp skewers or trout/salmon fillet)

grilled octopus, maybe porkbelly even though it's still pork

grilled vegetables + vegan soulfood book combo

make your own sausage

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    yogurt helps make the chicken a lot more burn resistant

pcmr said:
    grilled octopus,

Yes, and i had some planks in my hand this week. I will cop.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I love Octopus, but have a hard time finding high quality product in Virginia.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    batmon said:
    chicken is boring
    grilled some rib eyes with a couple friends on july 4th. perfect midrare with a nice sear. also grilled some elotes and paired with some vinegary new potato salad. i love summer.