Breaking Bad

Comments

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Soulstrut Catnip: here's a fantastic article by Chuck Klosterman on why Breaking Bad is better (in his opinion) than The Sopranos, Mad Men and The Wire:
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6763000/bad-decisions

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Agreed on the premise that the Wire is fundamentally different but, looking at protagonists...

Walt>Don>Tony

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    Soulstrut Catnip: here's a fantastic article by Chuck Klosterman on why Breaking Bad is better (in his opinion) than The Sopranos, Mad Men and The Wire:
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6763000/bad-decisions

Does True Blood Count?

NOT OPENING.

I'll trust my own opinion.
    Storyboard, cinematography, and characters are empyrean in Breaking Bad.

May just not waste my Sunday nights, and just watch this season in full. Its a better high.

Burns said:
    Its a better high.

99% pure?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    Burns said:
    Its a better high.

99% pure?

That 3% is tremendous.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    hogginthefogg said:
    Burns said:
    Its a better high.

99% pure?

That 3% is tremendous.

That was great in that scene.
    Gus seemed to care of the purity after that interchange, maybe.

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    Burns said:
    dollar_bin said:
    hogginthefogg said:
    Burns said:
    Its a better high.

99% pure?

That 3% is tremendous.

That was great in that scene.
    Gus seemed to care of the purity after that interchange, maybe.

I feel they were showing how far out on a limb he went to get Walt on board and the systems perspective of how he was one in a slew of factors that saved Walt and Jesse, and how they were ultimately forced to kill him to survive. It kind of shows how there is no telling who you will have to kill or how far you will have to go to be successful in a ruthless trade.

Gus is weak though, dude bouts to get dealt with. The Gayle scene also showed he is weak and his ability to persuaded by him may be his eventual undoing cause Walt and Jesse are going to kill him for sure.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    edith head said:
    Can we discuss Jesse? Do you think he's becoming hardened or is he bottling up all this stress & guilt and will have an even bigger breakdown or become seriously mentally disturbed?

timeline of jesse's downward spiral:

he loses his house
    he gets one of his best friends killed
    he gets hooked on smack
    his girlfriend ODs and he thinks its his fault
    his girlfriend's air-traffic controller dad crashes 2 planes in the air and jesse thinks he's to blame and then air-traffic controller dad shoots himself
    he gets his ass beaten badly by hank
    and now he just killed an innocent person

ok, it's becoming clear Jesse is going batshit insane.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    He's becoming a normal meth head really.

trying to escape mounting guilt & being the mercy of your own thoughts after murdering someone isn't just limited to meth heads, imo.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    thought's on last night:

jesse's friends are the worst part of the show.

the wives are likeable for the first time in however many seasons

the "go home, walt" phone call was :hard_as_fuck:

question: when and why did walt work for the car wash?

• what was up with mike in this episode? is he suffering from some type of disease? what was it that he rubbed off his jacket sleeve, blood? is it possible walt won't ever see gus again because mike already killed him?

crabmongerfunk said:
    what was up with mike in this episode? is he suffering from some type of disease? what was it that he rubbed off his jacket sleeve, blood? is it possible walt won't ever see gus again because mike already killed him?

Whoa, this didn't even occur to me. Good observation!

Keith: Walt worked at the car wash before making meth as a 2nd job to teaching high school chemistry. Walt not making enough money compared to his peers even though he was well-respected was a frequent source of humiliation in the first season.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    what was up with mike in this episode? is he suffering from some type of disease? what was it that he rubbed off his jacket sleeve, blood? is it possible walt won't ever see gus again because mike already killed him?

Holy shit. You're right. Unless there was an unknown flashback though. Mike had blood on his jacket beginning of the episode. Way before Gus called Walt on his cell. was it Gus that called Walt though or was that Mike. Couldn't really hear the voice too well.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    behemoth said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

Holy shit. You're right. Unless there was an unknown flashback though. Mike had blood on his jacket beginning of the episode. Way before Gus called Walt on his cell. was it Gus that called Walt though or was that Mike. Couldn't really hear the voice too well.

It was definitely Mike who called Walt on the cell phone. If it was Gus then Walt would probably be dead.

I just thought the blood on Mike's sleeve was from when Victor got killed.

KVH: If you watch the very first episode of Season 1, you see Walt working at the carwash, and quitting at the carwash, which is a scene referred to in the episode last night.

I agree that Jesse's friends are the worst part. I thought that from their first appearance. The worst acting I think. You can play a jackoff douchebag meth-head without overacting it like they do.

It was definitely Mike who called Walt on the cell phone. If it was Gus then Walt would probably be dead.

Huh...I had not considered that. I figured it was Gus, but I think you may be right.

I just thought the blood on Mike's sleeve was from when Victor got killed.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too.

I agree that Jesse's friends are the worst part. I thought that from their first appearance. The worst acting I think. You can play a jackoff douchebag meth-head without overacting it like they do.

Absolutely agree. They make me rethink the writing and the entire show at times. The overall story lines are great, but those guys come very close to ruining everything for me.

The scene with Walt buying the .38 was kinda funny to me because it reminded me so much of the hotel gun-buying scene in Taxi Driver. The difference is that Walt bought just one gun, and even then, he seemed very unsure; this just isn't him. On the other hand, Travis Bickle bought damn near everything his dealer was selling.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    the roomba POV was... interesting?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    cookbook said:
    the roomba POV was... interesting?

Someone mentioned earlier that this show is shot beautifully. Overall I agree, but they often push it too far and do trick shots that take you out of the story. I like shit to be shot on the same film, not various formats. My eyes don't change format in real life and I like it when shows and films follow that rule. Security footage, stuff like that can work, but when you get a weird slow-mo or something randomly on a different film then it pulls you out of the story. I kind of feel like they've got a checklist for BB and a trick shot is mandatory for each episode.

That said, I really like this show.

You guys are wound far too tight if Skinny Pete and Badger are ruining your Breaking Bad experience. I think they're funny, and Pinkman was pretty much just like them in season one.

hogginthefogg said:

The scene with Walt buying the .38 was kinda funny to me because it reminded me so much of the hotel gun-buying scene in Taxi Driver. The difference is that Walt bought just one gun, and even then, he seemed very unsure; this just isn't him. On the other hand, Travis Bickle bought damn near everything his dealer was selling.

I think the opening scene was a bit of a shoutout to Deadwood, featuring Jim Beaver (A.K.A. Mr. Ellsworth) speaking very Milchian dialog "Either way you're going to want to practice your draw ... a lot. Because if you're all fingers, well, it might could be him keeping the peace instead of you. Catch my drift?"

bluesnag said:

It was neither Mike nor Gus. I didn't think it was Mike, because the caller had a slight accent. Alan Sepinwall went straight to the horse's mouth:

UPDATE: There's been so much debate in the comments about who called Walt - Gus or Mike - that I went and asked Vince Gilligan. I don't view his answer as any kind of spoiler (as it's info from an episode that's already aired), but in case you do, don't read the next short paragraph:

So as it turns out, it wasn't Mike. And it wasn't Gus. It was, instead, the new third man in the operation, Tyrus (played by Ray Campbell), whom we saw earlier weighing the batch. And that explains why no one could agree on whether it was Esposito's voice or Banks's voice, I suppose.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    You guys are wound far too tight if Skinny Pete and Badger are ruining your Breaking Bad experience. I think they're funny, and Pinkman was pretty much just like them in season one.

Agreed. They are what Jessie was and it shows how he has grown. Remember the car he drove, the clothes, his attitude? He's changed a lot and they haven't.

They are kind of annoying though.

Controller_7 said:
    dollar_bin said:

Agreed. They are what Jessie was and it shows how he has grown. Remember the car he drove, the clothes, his attitude? He's changed a lot and they haven't.

They are kind of annoying though.

The whole contrast to show Jesse's growth is a good point. They definitely do not ruin my experience, and I think they're kind of silly too, I just think they overact the part, that's all. Saul is silly without overacting the part, for example. Although his commercial on the last episode was way over the top! That was pretty hilarious.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    that was definitely gus' voice on the phone calling walter

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    dollar_bin said:

I don't own any new game systems, but I can relate to the Nazi Zombie mode in the game those guys mentioned from first hand experience.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    bluesnag said:

It was neither Mike nor Gus. I didn't think it was Mike, because the caller had a slight accent. Alan Sepinwall went straight to the horse's mouth:

UPDATE: There's been so much debate in the comments about who called Walt - Gus or Mike - that I went and asked Vince Gilligan. I don't view his answer as any kind of spoiler (as it's info from an episode that's already aired), but in case you do, don't read the next short paragraph:

So as it turns out, it wasn't Mike. And it wasn't Gus. It was, instead, the new third man in the operation, Tyrus (played by Ray Campbell), whom we saw earlier weighing the batch. And that explains why no one could agree on whether it was Esposito's voice or Banks's voice, I suppose.

nice find. i guess this means that it was basically gus on the phone (ie. gus knows he was approaching the home), or does tyrus not say anything? i know if it was mike, we can have hope gus wouldn't find out, but tyrus is a question mark.

cookbook said:
    dollar_bin said:
    bluesnag said:

nice find. i guess this means that it was basically gus on the phone (ie. gus knows he was approaching the home), or does tyrus not say anything? i know if it was mike, we can have hope gus wouldn't find out, but tyrus is a question mark.

That really makes me wonder why Walt hasn't been clipped. Does Gus just think he can keep him at bay until he finds a new chemist?

• I think this episode proves that it is still unclear why Gus killed Victor. It never made a lot of sense about the theory that it was just because Victor was seen at the scene of the crime. Walt is certainly confused by it. Mike too perhaps.

Tremendous opening scene in last night's episode. Also the Gale video was hilarious.

Does anyone else feel like the writers are really stalling this season, and that not a whole lot has really happened? It feels like the story is just barely creeping along, very different from previous season. Or maybe I'm just waiting for one of those episodes where a bunch of crazy shit all happens at once. I also feel like the writers are really hammering away at Jesse's state of mind. I get it. It's time for that to move forward. At least something is happening there judging by the end of last night's episode.

Am I just being impatient, or are things really crawling along?

bluesnag said:
    Tremendous opening scene in last night's episode. Also the Gale video was hilarious.

Does anyone else feel like the writers are really stalling this season, and that not a whole lot has really happened? It feels like the story is just barely creeping along, very different from previous season. Or maybe I'm just waiting for one of those episodes where a bunch of crazy shit all happens at once. I also feel like the writers are really hammering away at Jesse's state of mind. I get it. It's time for that to move forward. At least something is happening there judging by the end of last night's episode.

Am I just being impatient, or are things really crawling along?

I'd say both. One of the things that Breaking Bad does well is intersperse long periods of character driven storytelling with explosions of crazy plot. I'm sure something maney is about to happen, but there will be a lot of long scenes where people are just talking and experiencing emotions and shit until we get there. The Jesse stuff is dragging a little much, but I think we've finally reached a point where it's about to pay off.