Breaking Bad

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
Most anticipated series of the year. Last night was a decent start, but somewhat predictable. I would have preferred if they started the season out by recapping last night's episode in a 3 or 4 minute flashback.

Comments

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Vince Gil, the creator of the show made it very clear that Gayle was shot by Jesse. So I was expecting that.
    The rest of the episode was pretty great. Gus long walk scene was a bit too drawn out, but the payoff was good.

Whats your theory on why he killed that dude?

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    Vince Gil, the creator of the show made it very clear that Gayle was shot by Jesse. So I was expecting that.
    The rest of the episode was pretty great. Gus long walk scene was a bit too drawn out, but the payoff was good.

Cuz he was seen at the crime scene

• HeddyHeddy 131 Posts
    There was a short flashback with Gale and Gus...and the "Lab Notes" notebook. :O

Gus killed Victor just because he could. Up until that point we never saw him in full BAMF mode...only sensed it.

Loved the minimal lines/ words Jesse spoke. Guy needs a matching Emmy based on his facial expressions alone.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    behemoth said:
    Grandfather said:

Cuz he was seen at the crime scene

I also think he was responsible for Gale's safety.

you don't want to upset a chicken man

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Heddy said:
    There was a short flashback with Gale and Gus...and the "Lab Notes" notebook. :O

Gus killed Victor just because he could. Up until that point we never saw him in full BAMF mode...only sensed it.

Loved the minimal lines/ words Jesse spoke. Guy needs a matching Emmy based on his facial expressions alone.

i think Victor got killed because he was seen at the crime scene also, but i guess it doesn't matter. the show is still great, but am i the only one who thinks it is borderline Weeds territory with how things have (not so realistically) spun out of control.

The best thing about the first season was that it the plot did not seem too far-fetched.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Still need to watch S3! I just can't keep myself out of these spoiler threads.

I think it may have been Victor who gave the order to kill the kid in season 3. Walt running over those two other dealers started the big beef between them.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Pass the meth

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    it was a decent start, i am just happy to have the show back. did anyone else notice how little dialogue was spoken throughout the entire episode? victor was killed because he was seen at the crime scene, and the lab notes... :woah:

regardless of where BB goes from hear, i will always love watching, it is shot so beautifully.

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    Grandfather said:

not theory, straight out obvious dude!

anyways, a good start to a great series.......sure, could have been a couple less predictable moments, but it's inevitable that there will be punters out there ready to criticize even the smallest of short comings.......be fucking thankful for such a great show hitting 4th season ;)

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    Gus long walk scene was a bit too drawn out, but the payoff was good.

yes, this bugs me about the gus character. the measured steps and overall deliberate personality of gus is so heavy handed that i can't take him too seriously sometimes because he's such a robot. at least mike the cleaner can be a cold blooded killer, but you still know he's human.

these hank scenes are killing me though. bidding on minerals while on his bed pan! i hope he starts making progress soon

edith head said:
    these hank scenes are killing me though. bidding on minerals while on his bed pan! i hope he starts making progress soon

i was talking with a friend about this, where do they take his character? they allude to this new PT, so i have a feeling a miraculous recovery is in the pipe line.

only breaking bad has the balls to show a bed pan scene and the brains to strategically cover a mans junk with a well choreographed laptop move.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    cookbook said:
    edith head said:

i was talking with a friend about this, where do they take his character?

i predict the lab notes investigation about gael's death gets him involved because of his heisenberg knowledge/obsession...he then does the whole locked up in a room crazy detective angle and pieces togetehr many parts of the puzzle from the warmth of his bedpan...
    Walt might see him progress and feel conflicted about intervening because of his own son's handicap
    but with a disabled/vulnerable hank inching closer, walt will have yet another moral dilemma on his hands

I think Hank bidding on the minerals is a metaphor for his obsession with the blue meth how it pretty much got him in the position hes in now. He will begin to obsess over all of this. Hank is a smart cop and there is no way he wont piece together the connection between his high ass medical bills and Walt's bills and how the hell they're getting paid. The gambling excuse wont last.

I think Gayle might get pinned as Heisenberg since he has the expertise to produce high quality meth but the trail of the expensive equipment will cause problems (at least it should).

pcmr said:
    cookbook said:
    edith head said:

i predict the lab notes investigation about gael's death gets him involved because of his heisenberg knowledge/obsession...he then does the whole locked up in a room crazy detective angle and pieces togetehr many parts of the puzzle from the warmth of his bedpan...
    Walt might see him progress and feel conflicted about intervening because of his own son's handicap
    but with a disabled/vulnerable hank inching closer, walt will have yet another moral dilemma on his hands

someone read Guzzos early season scripts!

Can we discuss Jesse? Do you think he's becoming hardened or is he bottling up all this stress & guilt and will have an even bigger breakdown or become seriously mentally disturbed?

timeline of jesse's downward spiral:

he loses his house
    he gets one of his best friends killed
    he gets hooked on smack
    his girlfriend ODs and he thinks its his fault
    his girlfriend's air-traffic controller dad crashes 2 planes in the air and jesse thinks he's to blame and then air-traffic controller dad shoots himself
    he gets his ass beaten badly by hank
    and now he just killed an innocent person

edith head said:
    Can we discuss Jesse? Do you think he's becoming hardened or is he bottling up all this stress & guilt and will have an even bigger breakdown or become seriously mentally disturbed?

timeline of jesse's downward spiral:

he loses his house
    he gets one of his best friend's killed
    he gets hooked on smack
    his girlfriend ODs and he thinks its his fault
    his girlfriend's air-traffic controller dad crashes 2 planes in the air and jesse thinks he's to blame and then air-traffic controller dad shoots himself
    he gets his ass beaten badly by hank
    and now he just killed an innocent person

the one positive note: walt rides HEAVY for him, the amount of times walt stressed to gus that its both or none in that first ep was done for a reason

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Does Walt really ride for him or just feel guilty about what he's done to put him in his current position that he feels that he's forced to ride for him?

Brian said:
    Does Walt really ride for him or just feel guilty about what he's done to put him in his current position that he feels that he's forced to ride for him?

morally forced or not, i don't see it stopping. at this point he seems more worried about jesse than walter jr

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Kenny rogers Target shirt with size sticker was the best.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Burns said:
    that plus the red converse with the white pants hahaha

the target clothes were hilarious! nice bit of dark comedy after a gnarly disposing of a dead body using acid.

reminiscent of this post-clean up scene, now that i think about it

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    cookbook said:
    pcmr said:
    cookbook said:
    edith head said:

someone read Guzzos early season scripts!

never read them.

figured it would ruin the season and the fun isn't in reading ahead, the fun is in watching the best damn show on television

• lamaslamas 39 Posts
    pcmr said:
    cookbook said:
    edith head said:

Walt wouldn't be the only one with the moral dilemma if Hank finds out that his medical bills are funded by Walt's illegal activity. What's the likelihood that he'd keep his discovery hush hush if he couldn't afford treatment anymore? And Jesse seems to have already gone waaay off the deep end into cold-blooded killer territory. The way he and Gus were staring at each other as Gael's throat was being slit was rather foreboding about their relationship.

Brian said:
    Burns said:

the new clarks/tighty whitey combo

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    cookbook said:
    Brian said:
    Burns said:

the new clarks/tighty whitey combo

ran through Target yesterday looking for a new shirt to cop, all they had were woodstock prints and beefy tee's

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I've been trying to understand the rational for that early scene with Gus and Gayle where Gayle is going on about purity and trying to talk himself out of the job.

Cosign on the Bedpan Hank lab notebook related post-it collage around the corner.

I think we can also rest assured that Walt's gonna get in touch with some folks in Mexico to play against Gus.

Gayle was always a super chemistry geek. I dont think it was too far fetched for his character.