It's Summer! (Grilling Thread)

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    :oh_snap:

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    nandos marinade.. or just nick the bottle of hot sauce from the restaurant. apply to meat, leave in fridge over night, job done. (uk-centric post)

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    nandos marinade.. or just nick the bottle of hot sauce from the restaurant. apply to meat, leave in fridge over night, job done. (uk-centric post)

Ha! I always wonder what you Brits think when you see these posts. Is it like looking at an unrecognizable foreign cuisine?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    the portable grill is an nyc must.

i just got one of these for trooping to the park, and it may or may not get some run on my fire escape.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Possum Tom said:

i just got one of these for trooping to the park, and it may or may not get some run on my fire escape.

Where to cop?

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    i am very into sides and sweet and salty pungent garnishes since i'm a less frequent meat eater. some of my favorites:

pineapple and shallot chutney
    moroccan charmoula, this is really good on grilled veggies but if you grill lamb it's amazing
    arugula salad with watermelon, mint and feta
    panzanella verde- italian bread salad with tons of herbs
    grilled peaches!!

Bodum used to have a store on 14th street all the way over where the trannies used to be. 10 th ave.
    On the same block as Stella McCartney where the cobblestones are.

They are a little expensive but the designs are off the hook.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    i am very into sides and sweet and salty pungent garnishes since i'm a less frequent meat eater. some of my favorites:

moroccan charmoula, this is really good on grilled veggies but if you grill lamb it's amazing
    grilled peaches!!

Nice! Nothing better than some good ol' fruits and veggies on the grill. I used to make a grilled caesar salad back in the day. I should do it, again.

I, too, may need a grill for my fire escape.

:pasue:

elise said:
    AKallDay said:

grilled peaches!!

Nice! Nothing better than some good ol' fruits and veggies on the grill. I used to make a grilled caesar salad back in the day. I should do it, again.

I, too, may need a grill for my fire escape.

:pasue:

Call me

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Last night: Flank steak marinated in whiskey, cola, pineapple juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic, ginger, and Worcestershire sauce. Then boil down the marinade to make a glaze, dry-rub the steak (paprika, salt, pepper, thyme), grill it, glaze it, and eat it with roasted fingerling potatoes and fresh corn.

It's nice to once again live in a place where grilling is allowed.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The Salt Lick Dry Rub has been knocking it out the park lately...

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Last night: Flank steak marinated in whiskey, cola, pineapple juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic, ginger, and Worcestershire sauce. Then boil down the marinade to make a glaze, dry-rub the steak (paprika, salt, pepper, thyme), grill it, glaze it, and eat it with roasted fingerling potatoes and fresh corn.

It's nice to once again live in a place where grilling is allowed.

Call me

Unherd said:
    Possum Tom said:

Where to cop?

Zappos with free shipping

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I roasted some parmesan rind on a stick over the fire on saturday night, consensus is that grilled/roasted parmesan is amazing.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Cedar-Plank Salmon has been a favorite lately

2 tablespoons grainy mustard (I used dijon)
    2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
    1 teaspoon minced rosemary
    1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
    1 (2-pounds) salmon fillet with skin (1 1/2 inches thick)

Equipment: a cedar grilling plank (about 15 by 6 inches)

Soak cedar grilling plank in water to cover 2 hours, keeping it immersed.

Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal (medium-high heat for gas)

Stir together mustard, honey, rosemary, zest, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Spread mixture on flesh side of salmon and let stand at room temperature 15 minutes.

Put salmon on plank, skin side down (if salmon is too wide for plank, fold in thinner side to fit). Grill, covered with lid, until salmon is just cooked through and edges are browned, 13 to 15 minutes. Let salmon stand on plank 5 minutes before serving.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    good thread about the green egg
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/351543

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Cedra planked Bitter Orange and Dill spiced trout with hoisin glaze

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Today I smoked turkey thighs for bahn mi.

I made nuoc mau the right way (almost) for the first time.

Turned out good, and the sandwiches were fantastic. But next time I will brine the thighs over night before marinating in the morning.

RE: Big Green Egg
    I have been drooling over these for a while. Several stores here stock them. The weber drives me crazy, because the temp is constantly fluctuating. The bge is built like a kiln, and will hold a steady temp I assume.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I did my first ever lamb chops last night...marinated with lemon, olive oil, garlic, rosemary and thyme. Turned out pretty well. I shoulda put them directly over the heat for the last few minutes to get a nice char and to crisp up the fat a little, but I was afraid of drying them out, it being my first time with lamb and all. I'll know next time.

The_Hook_Up said:
    I did my first ever lamb chops last night...marinated with lemon, olive oil, garlic, rosemary and thyme. Turned out pretty well. I shoulda put them directly over the heat for the last few minutes to get a nice char and to crisp up the fat a little, but I was afraid of drying them out, it being my first time with lamb and all. I'll know next time.

Man, that sounds great. T've heard brining chops is the way to go before grilling. Keeps them extra moist. Haven't tried it myself yet though.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

I got one of these for fathers day. I did chicken legs and pork ribs. It was surprisingly easy to use and kept a very consistent temperature, right between 250 and 300. I am excited to experiment with other stuff, I really want to smoke some seafood, I have heard smoked oysters are excellent, but I need to wait until September for that.

LaserWolf said:
    Turned out good, and the sandwiches were fantastic. But next time I will brine the thighs over night before marinating in the morning.

You would Brine and then Marinate?

Couldnt you combine the two.
    Add all your spice/etc to all the liquids to infuse flavor and tenderize/moisturize?

batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:

Add all your spice/etc to all the liquids to infuse flavor and tenderize/moisturize?

The recipes I was looking at said marinade one hour. I did 2.
    The marinade is a caramel sauce, very different from a brine. Perhaps I'll marinade over night.
    The thighs were not as moist as I usually achieve and I usually brine over night.

Edit: Thinking about it more, I might brine and then use the marinade for basting.

CousinLarry said:

I got one of these for fathers day. I did chicken legs and pork ribs. It was surprisingly easy to use and kept a very consistent temperature, right between 250 and 300. I am excited to experiment with other stuff, I really want to smoke some seafood, I have heard smoked oysters are excellent, but I need to wait until September for that.

Is that a Brinkman?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:

I'm not sure, but I think this would interfere with the brining , which is actually a fairly complex chemical process:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brining

Horseleech said:
    batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:

I'm not sure, but I think this would interfere with the brining , which is actually a fairly complex chemical process:

U can break down the proteins and add flavor at the same time.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    batmon said:
    Horseleech said:
    batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:

Maybe, maybe not. It's a lot more than just breaking down proteins.

Brining relies on ionic processes (and chnaging the PH) - do you know that the spices you add wouldn't interfere with that?

It seems that people with experience don't do this, so I would go with that.

• EscalanteEscalante 197 Posts
    I'm not as fancy as you all. For fathers day I kept it classic with some baby backs boiled for an hour, doused in some nice sauce and grilled with some corn on the cob on the side. Kept my family happy.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    CousinLarry said:

Is that a Brinkman?

Master Forge, actually seems pretty well built for only $60.00.

Horseleech said:
    batmon said:
    Horseleech said:
    batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:

Maybe, maybe not. It's a lot more than just breaking down proteins.

Brining relies on ionic processes (and chnaging the PH) - do you know that the spices you add wouldn't interfere with that?

It seems that people with experience don't do this, so I would go with that.

Ur right.

I just never heard of brining and then adding a wet marinade afterwards. It sounds redundant.
    A post Brine Dry Rub - yes. Wet To Wet = ???