usernames revealed!

Comments

• MiddleDeanMiddleDean 68 Posts
    My middle name is Dean. Grateful

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    When I started DJing regularily at a big club in 1999 he had just returned from a 6 months journey to Chile where I had let my hair and beard grow long. Back then I always used to play a lot of disco records later in the evening (despite disco was kind of EH! for the hardcore jazz & funkheads that used to frequent the club). Some day my boss and DJ colleague called me Disco Che in a conversation. The name stuck and I used it for my Soulstrut handle when I registered.

• Mine comes from this weird-o-lisping-probably-latent-homosexual-60-somethin-missing-three-fingers dude who ran
    a stall at my favorite flea back in the mid 90's. Dude would talk my ear off about Beatles crust and sell me jazz-funk terds
    for a buck. After a few years, one day he started calling me "The Vinyl Stalker". He disappeared shortly after that,
    but the name stuck with me.

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    Gaz, pretty obvious what all my friends call me , real name Gary

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    My real name is Ted, this is my alter ego.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    To clarifying: my username is not "hoggin' the fogg," but rather a play on "[Ross] Hogg in the Fog[g]" (aka San Francisco).

While I do love fog, I would never hog it all to myself.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    vintageinfants said:
    vintageinfants said:
    mine is actually pretty dumb. in my previous life as a jock, i would only wear number 6, superstition n' that. my first dj gig, i went by the roman numeral.... VI, which got little to no attention, so it got lengthened to 'vintageinfants' to show my love of juxtaposition (ha!).

in the sparse dj gigs since then, ive never used the same name twice, for no other reason that i liked coming up with dj names.

other monikers included phallic baldwin, girth brooks, flirt reynolds, keffah sutherland, dj tanner, etc. etc. etc....

someone sent me a list a while back of other names used by yrs truly:

Trilly wonka
    David cop-a-feel
    Jude Lawrys
    Vaseline dion
    Jean claude trans am
    Floss gellar
    Gnarly sheen
    Menace eckersley

I did the same sort of thing back when I used to write for Vice.

Gaseous Clay
    Retardo Montalban
    Suge Nightlight

The next time I'm booked for a house/techno type gig I'm going by Armand Van Halen

I go by Josh or JJ. JJFad was a nickname in highschool. 027 was the name of our half-assed skate crew turned party-throwers. JJfad027 has been used by me on a bunch of various interwebs accounts. I think my first email was jjfad027@something.

• the short version, i smoke a lot of cigarettes & i like robots. plus i thought the idea of a robot built solely to smoke cigarettes was hillarious. there's a slew of other multiple entrendres in there too, the smoking robot is an actual toy machine where the robot usual emits smoke and sparks i assume from a piece of flint? i dont know, i didnt travel too far down that path.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    jjfad027 said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    vintageinfants said:
    vintageinfants said:
    mine is actually pretty dumb. in my previous life as a jock, i would only wear number 6, superstition n' that. my first dj gig, i went by the roman numeral.... VI, which got little to no attention, so it got lengthened to 'vintageinfants' to show my love of juxtaposition (ha!).

in the sparse dj gigs since then, ive never used the same name twice, for no other reason that i liked coming up with dj names.

other monikers included phallic baldwin, girth brooks, flirt reynolds, keffah sutherland, dj tanner, etc. etc. etc....

Trilly wonka
    David cop-a-feel
    Jude Lawrys
    Vaseline dion
    Jean claude trans am
    Floss gellar
    Gnarly sheen
    Menace eckersley

Gaseous Clay
    Retardo Montalban
    Suge Nightlight

The next time I'm booked for a house/techno type gig I'm going by Armand Minivan Halen

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    jjfad027 said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    vintageinfants said:
    vintageinfants said:

Trilly wonka
    David cop-a-feel
    Jude Lawrys
    Vaseline dion
    Jean claude trans am
    Floss gellar
    Gnarly sheen
    Menace eckersley

Gaseous Clay
    Retardo Montalban
    Suge Nightlight

The next time I'm booked for a house/techno type gig I'm going by Armand Minivan Halen

Nice.

I actually do drive a mini van

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    My current user name is named after a record I put out. pretty simple. my previous user name "nobbyknucks" on the other hand....

around 6th grade my close friend used to say I had knobby fingers. my knuckles are kind of inflamed and look like ETs fingers.

late middle school he started writing graffiti and came up with my tag "knobs" but he was really slow and drew a piece for me and it said "nobs". I told him there's a K in knobs and he was like oh well. it stuck. nobbyknucks was just a variation of this name that people called me throughout the years.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    tripledouble said:
    from my style of play on the basketball court...double digits in fouls, turnovers and bricks
    jus playing...i used to pretty good when i played a lot. inside outside game, strong d, talk a lot of yap. working on getting it all back now.

Hey Tony,

I hear you, man!!! I'll be sure to bring my ball sneakers the next time I'm down in Illadelphia, so I can show you how Central Jerz gets down. My username is my produce/DJ name, which describes my record collection.

bring it!! i refuse to get schooled by a tenured professor
    ive been going to the park across the street everyday since the game the sixers beat the heat...mostly just getting the feel back. havent run full yet, but its on the short term agenda to get the wind back. give a holler stax!

• spoonieteespoonietee 110 Posts
    pretty obvious i think:
    spoonie gee = favorite rapper
    tee = what folks call me

• AndreBretonAndreBreton 344 Posts
    Mjukis said:
    AndreBreton said:
    One of my old street names. I'm yet to meet a cop who knows the real Andre Breton.
    The day you do, it'll be a surreal experience!

haha

I don't use street names anymore. Stayin outta trouble. I woulda had to say my parents were beatnicks or something lol

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

said with an old-timey cliche NY accent.

• I don't know, but I wish I'd consulted http://www.emmadavies.net/fairy/

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    I don't know, but I wish I'd consulted http://www.emmadavies.net/fairy/

Sounds like a Baltimore name. Any connection?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    behemoth said:
    My current user name is named after a record I put out. pretty simple. my previous user name "nobbyknucks" on the other hand....

around 6th grade my close friend used to say I had knobby fingers. my knuckles are kind of inflamed and look like ETs fingers.

late middle school he started writing graffiti and came up with my tag "knobs" but he was really slow and drew a piece for me and it said "nobs". I told him there's a K in knobs and he was like oh well. it stuck. nobbyknucks was just a variation of this name that people called me throughout the years.
    I don't know about where you live, but in the UK knob is slang for dick, and can be used in the same ways you're a **** or suck my ****.

Maybe your new name should be dick knuckle.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    vintageinfants said:
    vintageinfants said:

Trilly wonka
    David cop-a-feel
    Jude Lawrys
    Vaseline dion
    Jean claude trans am
    Floss gellar
    Gnarly sheen
    Menace eckersley

Gaseous Clay
    Retardo Montalban
    Suge Nightlight
    Ha ha. These are great. Although I'm easily impressed as I truly suck at coming up with a good nom de plume. I generally end up calling myself something unintentionally derogatory. words are not my friends.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Mjukis said:
    Frank said:
    Mjukis said:
    My name is Swedish for "Softy" or something like that - I've never used it for anything else, but I thought it'd be funny to choose a name that's semi-pronouncable in english, but with a hidden meaning.

I mean this with all due respect and not to make fun at your expense but I'm not sure if you're aware that if you do pronounce your alias in English, it is phonetically very close, if not almost indistinguishable to the word "mucus"...

Why not go all the way and rock a matching avatar:

Yeah, that was my thought exactly - that it would be pronounced as "Mucus". I liked the contrast between the different meanings of the two words I guess. I would but the "Nattmara" LP cover is too good to replace... I get to rep two of my favourite Swedes, synthdude Ralph Lundsten and master illustrator Hans Arnold.

Plus, you know, I get off on the whole monster women with tentacles thing.

Ballsy choice then!

And that's a pretty wild record cover for sure.

• TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
    :beerbang:

• LaserWolf said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    I don't know, but I wish I'd consulted http://www.emmadavies.net/fairy/

Sounds like a Baltimore name. Any connection?

I think I got it from 'The Wire', it was either that or Snot Boogie.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i put the o in man when i was a false rasta in college.

it was alraedy my campus nickname (even professors and administrators) but it became my dj name when i had a radio show for three years.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    damn dog, you had profs calling you batman?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    damn dog, you had profs calling you batman?

And the president.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    My name is my name.

JRoot

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i picked it based on the track "spiv" by brian bennett off of the drama montage 2 library record because i couldn't think of anything else. the song is totally tepid sleaze funk. my user name used to be spiv but i asked to change it back when people were having that big name change happening here on the strut and got spivy instead... gah!

http://www.divshare.com/download/14752719-9ff

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Obscure biblical figure, hated on by Paul, stricken blind by God for being a false prophet. My variation of my friend Carlos' nickname 'Barlos', back when we took lots of bars (Xanax). My other nickname is Greg Iz, short for Gregism.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    barjesus said:
    Obscure biblical figure, hated on by Paul, stricken blind by God for being a false prophet. My variation of my friend Carlos' nickname 'Barlos', back when we took lots of bars (Xanax). My other nickname is Greg Iz, short for Gregism.

Also, Bar Jesus means son of Jesus, I liked the idea of God's grandchild

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    well i used to dj under the name grandpa jesus..........
    i kid i kid

the d is for david (my first name)
    L is for my last name
    DL is what 99% of my friends call me, the the in the_dL comes from a flip of keep it on the downlow