Shoes in the house: ON or OFF

Comments

• off!

fuck the filth and shit....leave that at the door!

after living in Japan for almost a decade, you'll come to appreciate how nice it is to know better ;)

as for other habits in Japan, well...........

• off!

fuck the filth and shit....leave that at the door!

after living in Japan for almost a decade, you'll come to appreciate how nice it is to know better ;)

as for other habits in Japan, well...........

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    OFF. The only thing I wear on my feet inside the house is socks bc my feet get cold. No way am I letting enough grime get on the floor to gray up my white socks. I also make my bed perfectly, alphabetize my records and have a *system* for organizing my closet.

• Off, but in the house...I rock these.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I'm no epidemiologist, but I guarantee that making people wash their hands upon entering your house would be far more effective in limiting your exposure to pathogens than making people take their shoes off.

• dollar_bin said:
    I'm no epidemiologist, but I guarantee that making people wash their hands upon entering your house would be far more effective in limiting your exposure to pathogens than making people take their shoes off.

oh?

and i suppose it's also a good thing to take shoes with you onto the bed? where u gonna draw the line? i'm good with the door ;)

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Take your goddamn shoes off indoors, unless you expect to walk on a trail or thumbtacks. Muhfuckaz. I'm really surprised how many people are rocking shoes inside on here. I vacuum everyday already.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    dollar_bin said:

It's not about reducing exposure to pathogens, imo. For me it's about keeping the floor clean and drawing a line between how I behave in the home versus elsewhere. Believe it or not, dining tables and couches are a Western phenomenon. As kids, my mom fed us our dinner as we sat on our clean floor. While watching TV. As a couple others mentioned, it's cultural. For me it's also psychological; not making my bed implies a glitch in my routine. Maybe I woke up late or had to run an emergency errand.

• Almond said:
    dollar_bin said:

It's not about reducing exposure to pathogens, imo. For me it's about keeping the floor clean and drawing a line between how I behave in the home versus elsewhere. Believe it or not, dining tables and couches are a Western phenomenon. As kids, my mom fed us our dinner as we sat on our clean floor. While watching TV. As a couple others mentioned, it's cultural. For me it's also psychological; not making my bed implies a glitch in my routine. Maybe I woke up late or had to run an emergency errand.

I agree with this.

b/w

I can't believe this is even a question.

• I always take them off as soon as I enter the house. We have a rug at the front where I can take them off inside the house and then set them down. I mostly go barefoot around the house, but on cold nights such as this I'm wearing socks. When we have guests over, we never like to tell them to take their shoes off. They just notice that we have all of ours to the side and eventually get the idea.

• Horseleech said:
    Almond said:
    dollar_bin said:

I agree with this.

b/w

I can't believe this is even a question.

Well, I've been to a few friends' houses and when I would take off my shoes at the front they would look at me as if I had caused some rift between us.

"Your shoes not good enough to walk through my house?!"

"No. My shoes were never good to begin with."

I kept them on. It was a most uncomfortable feeling walking around a house with shoes on.

• The important issues that Soulstrut brings up

In our House OFF

I lived in Japan for 3 years and kinda like the tradition. It does help keep the place clean. Less vacuuming required etc.

• I don't wear shoes in the house, and I don't know anybody who does. Is this an American phenomenon or something?

• On.

Only because the hardwood floor has splinters. i pulled a few.

Otherwise I'm an off person. I usually take off my shoes in other peoples homes, especially if carpeted and I keep it fresh so no worries about that.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    dwyhajlo said:
    I don't wear shoes in the house, and I don't know anybody who does. Is this an American phenomenon or something?
    NO

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Grew up in an Asian family = off

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    I used to like to keep them on for the most part a la Larry David, but since I moved into a place that is mostly carpeted, my feet are freeballin' it.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I'm super OCD about keeping my place clean. NOBODY wears shoes in my place. I also got in this habit when I used to live in Japan. I vacuum every day, please believe it.

I have a Dyson ball vacuum and I love it! This is the truth right here......

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    I'm super OCD about keeping my place clean. NOBODY wears shoes in my place. I also got in this habit when I used to live in Japan. I vacuum every day, please believe it.

I have a Dyson ball vacuum and I love it! This is the truth right here......

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    My shoes cost more than your carpet.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    No clue what I said three years ago due to ghost quotes, but it's been no shoes in the house from Day 1. I don't do house slippers but my family does.
    I don't even have a fear of germs about it, it's just how I came up and feel most comfortable this way.
    About going to other people's houses (or them coming to ours) - as far back as I can remember, the men wore socks and the ladies brought a change of (indoor) party shoes or just went with sexy stocking feet. They eventually came off during dancing anyway!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    def a white folk thing to keep shoes on. You will never see an Asian with shoes in someone's house.

Your feet need to breath, can't have them huddled in shoes 24/7. Ever go to a public bathroom? You want the same soles touching the floor right beside your bed?

and yes the first thing I do once I get home is wash my hands.

• how about bare feet in someone else's house?

in the summer, i'll rock shoes with no socks at least a few times a week. loafers, chucks, hightops, whatever the style, i'm not afraid to go sans chaussette.

for some reason, everyone thinks that because of this habit, my feet are going to be sticky and smelly..... when in fact they sweat a tonne less without socks, and are therefore almost entirely devoid of malodour/dank.

if you had someone over to your house, would you rather they go barefoot or keep the kicks on?

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Kicks ON, all the time. Don't get those smelly buggers out plz.

• I consider it disrespectful to wear shoes inside people's homes and had a hard time not taking them off during my visits to some homes in America. I could not believe people would walk around their CARPETED homes with the same shoes they had been walking around in outside, but its not my place to be condescending when meeting another culture.

When I get home I take my shoes off, wash my hands and walk barefeet whenever possible. Anyone worried about how their feet smell (in their own house? Do you impose fart-bans on yourself as well?) should maybe consider that they are confined in a very tight-fitting shoe all day. That makes them smell bad.

I'm not opposed to indoor shoes, I grew up in a wooden house without heated floor. It gets cold in the winter.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Aser said:

the first thing I do once I get home is wash my hands.

Yes.
    Public transit, money, etc. etc.

• we leave it up for the guest to decide. we have two dogs, the carpets are getting dirty regardless.

• Aside from whatever sanitary issues may be involved, it's not good for your feet to have shoes on no matter what fancy units you're sporting. The less time you have 'em on the better off you are.

One of my favorite things about spending the warm months by the beach is never having shoes on except in a restaurant or store. I can now go on 5 mile hikes through the woods barefoot and I love it.

• Shoes OFF, although sometimes I forget walking into other ppls apartments where there isn't an obvious coat closet by the door.

Vacuuming every day??? What time of day would one regularly do this?

I will one day own a Dyson.

• Horseleech said:
    One of my favorite things about spending the warm months by the beach is never having shoes on except in a restaurant or store. I can now go on 5 mile hikes through the woods CALLOUSED UP! and I love it.