Shoes in the house: ON or OFF

chungtechchungtech 290 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Growing up: OFF OFF OFFb, 21Now: OFF but sometimes friends keep them on - can't find slippers in bigfoot American sizes!

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Why you gotta be footist againset big feet?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    On, but i have a gang of flip-flops all over those house.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Off

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Houseshoes 4 Lyfe

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Houseshoes 4 Lyfe b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21But I wear shoes in the house too.b, 21b, 21b, 21I have hardwood and cats so I clean the floors on the daily anyway.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Off--I stay rockin' some flops in the Casa de Enki.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    OFF/House shoes

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Having people take off their shoes when they come to visit is one of the true abominations of the modern age. It's horrible, horrible form, and the fact that it's becoming more and more common among people my age makes me weep for my generation, and burns in my heart a hate-fire sharp like pain.b, 21b, 21If it's like that, then invite your fucking rug over for dinner, you know? And I have young kids and all, so please miss me with that "but it's unhealthy" claptrap. I'm conscious of lead and unspecified city grit and all that shit, and when it's just me and my family, we all take our shoes off in the hall to avoid tracking shit around. And a big part of the reason we do that, the reason we keep it as clean as possible under everyday circumstances, is so that when people come over it's not a huge deal if they keep their fucking shoes on, as grown-ups are wont to do. Your kids are gonna be fine. Buy an attractive doormat and hope for the best, you crumbs. I mean, damn.b, 21b, 21(Note: This is not directed at folks who do the shoe business for cultural or religious reasons, but rather at these Save The Children/Love My Carpet chumps.)

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    How is this even a question? Wear street shoes in the house? NEVA THAT SON! Socks or slippers. Wearing shoes in the house is dirty, filthy and nasty.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    ON.b, 21b, 21I DON'T GIVE A F*ck.

Seriously - I do as i feel. Sometimes my kicks are mad comfy. I could care less about "dirt". If you wash your floor/carpet and arent trackin in Mud. I dont see the health risk being that different.b, 21b, 21Do you change your jeans after sittin in public places. And then come home and sit on your bed.

• the problem with the hosue flip-flops is that I eventually end up strolling out the house with them on to get some coffee or whatever...and then we're back where we started.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21ON.b, 21b, 21I DON'T GIVE A F*ck. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Sayin'. Unless y'all are eating off your floors, who cares? Well, obviously some of you, but that was meant rhetorically.

I suppose if you have babies that roll around on the floor that could be a "fear".

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Having people take of their shoes when they come to visit is one of the true abominations of the modern age. It's horrible, horrible form, and the fact that it's becoming more and more common among people my age makes me weep for my generation, and burns in my heart a hate-fire sharp like pain.b, 21b, 21If it's like that, then invite your fucking rug over for dinner, you know? And I have young kids and all, so please miss me with that "but it's unhealthy" claptrap. I'm conscious of lead and unspecified city grit and all that shit, and when it's just me and my family, we all take our shoes off in the hall to avoid tracking shit around. And a big part of the reason we do that, the reason we keep it as clean as possible under everyday circumstances, is so that when people come over it's not a huge deal if they keep their fucking shoes on, as grown-ups are wont to do. Your kids are gonna be fine. Buy an attractive doormat and hope for the best, you crumbs. I mean, damn.b, 21b, 21(Note: This is not directed at folks who do the shoe business for cultural or religious reasons, but rather at these Save The Children/Love My Carpet chumps.) b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21u sound not-asian. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21b/wb, 21b, 21I've never run into these "Save the Children" types. Urban legend? Or is this a Chi-town thing? b, 21b, 21Regardless, anytime I step into someone's house, the shoes come off. My 3.5 year old knows to do the same. Clearly, it's a diff in how folks are raised but I find the fact that people DON'T take their shoes off in someone else's house to be utterly incomprehensible...like Westeners who bug out that some cultures eat dog.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21Do you change your jeans after sittin in public places. And then come home and sit on your bed. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21funny, i was thinking about this the other day sitting in my bed and i suddenly remembered how suspect the seats on BART are. i don't want to have to change pants every time i get off of BART, so whateverb, 21b, 21i make it a point to take my shoes off in my moms house, but i don't really care about mine

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I suppose if you have babies that roll around on the floor that could be a "fear". b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I rolled around on the floor as a kid, and I grew up with a healthy immune system. Kids are fairly durable???hell, Hook Up used to stick his tongue in the friggin' electrical socket, you know?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21like Westeners who bug out that some cultures eat dog. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Ewww

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21ON.b, 21b, 21I DON'T GIVE A F*ck. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21sayin'. Like most, i rock house shoes or just socks when I'm chillin. but if I go back in because I forgot my kangol, i'll walk all through the place and on the bedroom carpet to get it and back again.b, 21b, 21Although I have mostly hardwood/laminate floors. Maybe if my place was all carpet I might have a different opinion. My guests can keep shoes on, although stilettos can do some damage. Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately) that doesn't come up too often with either my wife or her friends.

I used to go too a Muslim nieghbor to get Babysat. I got used tp the no-shoes thing.b, 21b, 21But on the real - some people have some smelly f*ckin feet. I dont wanna smell that shit.

• Some friends come by our place for the first time a while back because they wanted to go through some records in our basement that we'd planned to get rid of. As soon as they walked, they said, "Man, this place is nice!" as they both removed their shoes. I said, "Thanks! And hey, it's cool to wear shoes in here." b, 21b, 21They smiled politely and said, "No, that's okay." I felt like it was almost as bad as if they'd asked me to take my shoes off in their home and I'd smiled politely and said, "No, that's okay."b, 21b, 21I then proceed to give them a brief tour of our place, wearing the shoes I'd been wearing all day. Before we went to the basement, I said, "You'll probably wanna put your shoes back on--we have to go outside now."b, 21b, 21The whole thing was awkward.

• Off/Adidas originals Men's Adillete Sport Slide

• I am known to rock the house shoes but we have no firm rule. b, 21b, 21And forget some of these folks' shoes, you do NOT want to see their raggedy ass socks!

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Some friends come by our place for the first time a while back because they wanted to go through some records in our basement that we'd planned to get rid of. As soon as they walked, they said, "Man, this place is nice!" as they both removed their shoes. I said, "Thanks! And hey, it's cool to wear shoes in here." b, 21b, 21They smiled politely and said, "No, that's okay." I felt like it was almost as bad as if they'd asked me to take my shoes off in their home and I'd smiled politely and said, "No, that's okay."b, 21b, 21I then proceed to give them a brief tour of our place, wearing the shoes I'd been wearing all day. Before we went to the basement, I said, "You'll probably wanna put your shoes back on--we have to go outside now."b, 21b, 21The whole thing was awkward. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Fugg that: if I ever visit you guys, I'm going insist YOU take your shoes off in your own house. b, 21b, 21DEAL.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 And forget some of these folks' shoes, you do NOT want to see their raggedy ass socks! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Exactly

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I suppose if you have babies that roll around on the floor that could be a "fear". b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I rolled around on the floor as a kid, and I grew up with a healthy immune system. Kids are fairly durable???hell, Hook Up used to stick his tongue in the friggin' electrical socket, you know? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21sayin'

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I've never run into these "Save the Children" types. Urban legend? Or is this a Chi-town thing?b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Oh, it's for real. It is not at all uncommon to hear things like "Um, our children crawl and play on the floor, so could you be a dear and take your shoes off? Thaaaaanks." It's usually delivered with a helpless, faux-apologetic shrug, like "I know, right? But, hey, what can we do? Children are the future and all that." Shit is vile. b, 21b, 21(In a side note: I suspect that a considerable percentage of these people are in fact Love My Carpet people, but realize that this is an unpopular look and so stoop so low as to cloak their appalling manners behind a facade of Save The Children, much in the manner of someone blaming a fart on the dog.) b, 21b, 21And I've seen enough to know that it's not Chicago-specific, though I'd guess maybe it's more prevalent in cities where people walk more? I don't know.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I've never run into these "Save the Children" types. Urban legend? Or is this a Chi-town thing?b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Oh, it's for real. It is not at all uncommon to hear things like "Um, our children crawl and play on the floor, so could you be a dear and take your shoes off? Thaaaaanks." It's usually delivered with a helpless, faux-apologetic shrug, like "I know, right? But, hey, what can we do? Children are the future and all that." Shit is vile. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21these sound like the parents who I've met on playgrounds that say shit like, "your kids not in music/dance/whatever classes? Really?" b, 21b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icegrill.gif" alt="" 21

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Some friends come by our place for the first time a while back because they wanted to go through some records in our basement that we'd planned to get rid of. As soon as they walked, they said, "Man, this place is nice!" as they both removed their shoes. I said, "Thanks! And hey, it's cool to wear shoes in here." b, 21b, 21They smiled politely and said, "No, that's okay." I felt like it was almost as bad as if they'd asked me to take my shoes off in their home and I'd smiled politely and said, "No, that's okay."b, 21b, 21I then proceed to give them a brief tour of our place, wearing the shoes I'd been wearing all day. Before we went to the basement, I said, "You'll probably wanna put your shoes back on--we have to go outside now."b, 21b, 21The whole thing was awkward. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Fugg that: if I ever visit you guys, I'm going insist YOU take your shoes off in your own house. b, 21b, 21DEAL. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I'm feeling that.b, 21b, 21"And the shirt, too! What?! Okay, how about just undoing a couple buttons, then? What?! Is this how you treat a guest?!"