Artists whose names you're pretty sure you are mispronouncing

124»

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    luck said:

Another good one: Wardell Quezerque = war-dell kah-zerk

actually it's Quezergue with a "g"...

Oops. didn't see that. The pronunciation is correct, though, at least according to a NOLA concert coordinator.

• luck said:
    willie_fugal said:
    luck said:

Another good one: Wardell Quezerque = war-dell kah-zerk

actually it's Quezergue with a "g"...

Oops. didn't see that. The pronunciation is correct, though, at least according to a NOLA concert coordinator.

yep, correct pronunciation.

and it didn't help things that fvckin' Tuff City/Funky Delicacies actually released a (unlicensed) compilation of his stuff that spelled his name with a "Q"....

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    funky16corners said:
    vintageinfants said:
    willie_fugal said:
    SoulOnIce said:

isn't that a redundant umlaut or e?

i'd go with SHTOOK-line

i'm pretty sure that umlaut is redundant.

my authority doesn't extend beyond the fact that MY last name had an umlaut one generation ago, but i'm pretty sure it's "STECK-LINE"..........

It is.

I had actually tried to pronounce this on the radio like 20 minutes before posting it in here.
    I said it something like (allowing for Boston accent) "STALK-LINN" but also admitted that I was likely butchering it.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I've heard it both ways:

Ohz mu-TAHN-cheez and O-shh mu-TAHN-cheez

Is this a dialect thing?

• Johnny Lytle.

I've heard older black steppers' deejays in Chicago pronounce his last name as "Lie-Tell."

It sounds cooler that way.

But everytime I've heard people outside of those circles pronounce Lytle, it's either "Little" or "Lietull."

• vintageinfants said:
    karlophone said:
    czerwone gitary ??

ive never even tried to say it.... i just buy em if i see em!

chur-vOn-ee git-arr-ee.

pickwick33 said:
    Johnny Lytle.

I've heard older black steppers' deejays in Chicago pronounce his last name as "Lie-Tell."

It sounds cooler that way.

But everytime I've heard people outside of those circles pronounce Lytle, it's either "Little" or "Lietull."

I've always said "lite-ell" - I can see where you might imagine a soft Y like in "Lydia," but I can't think of any y-t pairings where they Y is soft, it is always an I sound.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Gilberto Gil = Zhou-BER-tah ZHOU
    Gal Costa = Gaou CO-stah
    Tom Z?? = TOMBzeh (soft "B")
    Caetano Veloso = KAI-tano vehlozzo
    Jo??o Gilberto = ZHOU-oww ZHOU-ber-tah
    Milton Nascimento = MIW-tow nahsee-mento (the "i" in Milton is the flat, nasal Portugese "i")

• Horseleech said:
    DrWu said:
    sabadabada said:
    Brazilian? All of them. This is why I never actually "talk" brazilian records with anybody.

Someone corrected me once. It's Georgie Ben, not Whore-Hay Ben.

I actually called WFMU at one point after the DJ said Hor-Hay Ben about 30 times - I couldn't take it anymore.
    (though it's close to Zhor-Zhee Bein)

There's a Gal Costa song where she name drops a bunch of folks and she clearly says zhor-zhee bein.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Help me with these plaese:

1. Janko Nilovic
    Yan-ko Ni-lo-vic?
    Jan-ko ?

2. Michel Urbaniak
    Mi-kel Urban-niak?
    Michael Urban-iak?

3. Jorge Ben
    Hor-ji Ben?
    Jor-ji Ben?

• I've heard David Bowie said three ways:

BOWIE (as-in BOW-TIE) - Most common
    BOWIE (as-in BOW-WOW) - A lot of dudes say this.. like 45%
    BOWIE (as-in BOO-HOO) - I've only heard Kurt Cobain say this taking the piss before playing Man Who Sold The World.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Deadmau5:

Is it "dead mouse" ?

or

"dead mao 5"

I'm guessing it's the first one.

Kindly,
    parallax

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    I've heard David Bowie said three ways:

BOWIE (as-in BOW-TIE) - Most common
    BOWIE (as-in BOW-WOW) - A lot of dudes say this.. like 45%
    BOWIE (as-in BOO-HOO) - I've only heard Kurt Cobain say this taking the piss before playing Man Who Sold The World.

These days it's bow as in tie a bow on it (that's what he says, anyway) but not sure he's always been consistent. He famously named his kid Zowie Bowie (as in wowweee), but called him Joey. Sensibly the kid went with Duncan Jones.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    This reminds me of a chick that used to host one of the first cable hip hop/rap/rnb shows in the 90s in Australia. She used to fuck up the names of simple MC names like Treach, which she pronounced to make it rime with Preach. Tupac become something that sounded more like Too Pork etc

A well known Sydney hip hop indentity rerad her a drunken riot act one night and let her know she was saying the names wrong but I dont think that helped.

• kenny said:
    Help me with these plaese:

3. Jorge Ben
    Hor-ji Ben?
    Jor-ji Ben?

Dude.

• LokoOne said:
    This reminds me of a chick that used to host one of the first cable hip hop/rap/rnb shows in the 90s in Australia. She used to fuck up the names of simple MC names like Treach, which she pronounced to make it rime with Preach. Tupac become something that sounded more like Too Pork etc

A well known Sydney hip hop indentity rerad her a drunken riot act one night and let her know she was saying the names wrong but I dont think that helped.

On a related note, there is a really good syndicated blues radio program here in the States that usually airs on Saturday nights. Dude has deep crates playing the finest in prewar and postwar (up to 1965) sounds. I just wish he'd learn how to pronounce Amos Milburn's last name correctly ("and that was three in a row from Amos MILBOURNE...").

• um...

cougnut?

having fun with this one

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    HOO-mus
    or
    HUH-mus

I say hummus the first way. Which way do y'all say it?

• jjfad027 said:
    HOO-mus
    or
    HUH-mus

i went to school with and was friends with tons of chaldeans (catholic iraqis for those not familiar) -- they either said HOOH-MOOS or HUHH-MOOS (moos like mousse). since i'm white as fuck, i've always said HUM-IS (IS is said like MISS).

can someone please tell me how to pronounce Kvelertak.

• novocaine132 said:
    um...

cougnut?

having fun with this one

he says it at the beginning of imp - scandlous

COO-NUT

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    breadwinner said:
    jjfad027 said:
    HOO-mus
    or
    HUH-mus

i went to school with and was friends with tons of chaldeans (catholic iraqis for those not familiar) -- they either said HOOH-MOOS or HUHH-MOOS (moos like mousse). since i'm white as fuck, i've always said HUM-IS (IS is said like MISS).

The Hebraic pronunciation would be khoom-moose (guttural "KH" sound)

• most everyone in england i've ever talked to calls rapper nas NAZZZZZ.
    i don't get it.

SoulOnIce said:
    can someone please tell me how to pronounce Kvelertak.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    youngEINSTEIN said:
    most everyone in england i've ever talked to calls rapper nas NAZZZZZ.
    i don't get it.

Crazy???he says it in every other song. You should just wax poetic on your favorite early Rundgren tunes whenever the topic comes up.