Artists whose names you're pretty sure you are mispronouncing

Comments

• FortyFivan said:
    Horseleech said:
    And Ofege is Oh-feh-gay.

Thanks... I was waaaay off!

Ha! I wouldn't have guessed that either, but that's clearly how they sing it in their song of the same name.

• Options
    Genesis P-Orridge.

Is it Genesis Porridge or Genesis Pee-Orridge?

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    fejmelba said:
    amitabh bachchan ???

um-mit-THOB BUTT-chin

The t in Amitabh is soft, but not a true th sound as present in the English language. The softer d and t sounds in Hindi are similar to those in Spanish. Hopefully that helps.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    bobtheorange said:
    unity said:
    bobtheorange said:

and I've been told that I mispronounce moog. Is it pronounced moo-g or moe-g?

'moog' rhymes with 'vogue'
    so I've been mispronouncing for quite a while.

No matter how many times people tell me this, I cannot bring myself to pronounce it this way - just sounds wrong.

Exactly.. I will continue to pronounce it Moog (no Vogue) for life.

• what about usher?

:question:

• bobtheorange said:
    erkin koray
    shamek farrah

and I've been told that I mispronounce moog. Is it pronounced moo-g or moe-g?

Courtesy a Turkish girl whom I unsuccessfully chatted up about Turk psych records:

Erkin Koray: air-KEEN kore-EYE
    Erkut Ta??kin: air-KOOT tach-KEEN
    Baris Man??o: BAR-ish MANCH-o
    Okay Temiz: oh-KAI tay-MEEZ
    Fikret Kizilok: FEE-kret KEY-zee-lock

... and a Polish girl, mutatis mutandis ...

Czeslaw Niemen: CHESS-vahv NYEH-men
    Michal Urbaniak: mee-HOW urr-BAN-yahk (with a kind of glottal German thing on the H)

I guess the L with a slash-thru is silent if it's between vowels or at the end of a word; if after a consonant, it's pronounced like a soft V, sort of like Cubans say the B in 'Cuba.'

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    parallax said:
    Happy holidays everyone!

Here's one..."Weldon Irvine"

There's a super-heavy collectro I know who actually met and has a photo with the late Mr. Irvine.

The collectro pronounces it "Ir-VEEN"...I've always thought (and still do) that it's "Ir-VINE", but have never challenged my deep-crated acquaintence.

Kindly,
    parallax

Nina Simone says his name before one of her live recordings, and it is 'Irvine' for sure. I would trust her over said 'collectro'.

• catalist said:
    parallax said:
    Happy holidays everyone!

Here's one..."Weldon Irvine"

There's a super-heavy collectro I know who actually met and has a photo with the late Mr. Irvine.

The collectro pronounces it "Ir-VEEN"...I've always thought (and still do) that it's "Ir-VINE", but have never challenged my deep-crated acquaintence.

Kindly,
    parallax

Nina Simone says his name before one of her live recordings, and it is 'Irvine' for sure. I would trust her over said 'collectro'.

I was just about to say -- either that or dude just wasn't gonna fuck with Nina's pronunciation ... and neither would I

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Jan Hammer

Jan Brady - Hammer or YAHn?

Ive said Yahn, but ive heard VJs in the 80s say Jan.

• Definitely YAHn, which not coincidentally is the reaction produced by everything he's done since about '75

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

VEE-twos?
    Vit-EWES?

• mrmatthew said:

VEE-twos?
    Vit-EWES?

Met him -- it's VEE-toos (with a hard S)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• Brazilian? All of them. This is why I never actually "talk" brazilian records with anybody.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    Brazilian? All of them. This is why I never actually "talk" brazilian records with anybody.

Someone corrected me once. It's Georgie Ben, not Whore-Hay Ben.

• DrWu said:
    sabadabada said:
    Brazilian? All of them. This is why I never actually "talk" brazilian records with anybody.

That's probably the only one I get right, and probably because I was corrected once too. But, Eumir Deodato, please?

• SoulOnIce said:

isn't that a redundant umlaut or e?

i'd go with SHTOOK-line

• DrWu said:
    sabadabada said:

I actually called WFMU at one point after the DJ said Hor-Hay Ben about 30 times - I couldn't take it anymore.
    (though it's close to Zhor-Zhee Bein)

• willie_fugal said:
    SoulOnIce said:

i'd go with SHTOOK-line

i'm pretty sure that umlaut is redundant.

my authority doesn't extend beyond the fact that MY last name had an umlaut one generation ago, but i'm pretty sure it's "STECK-LINE"..........

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I remember watching a video show and they said here's a video by "Eric B & Rake 'Em with Microphone Friend"

That dude had it all effed up!

• Aceyalone

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    So is this further proof that Brazilian collectros don't actually listen to their records? Doesn't Jorge Ben get namedropped on multiple different songs? Are you just scatting along to everything? Sa-ba-Sabadabadaba-da-da...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    marwal_bust said:
    Aceyalone

Ace-EE-alone?

• vintageinfants said:
    willie_fugal said:
    SoulOnIce said:

i'd go with SHTOOK-line

i'm pretty sure that umlaut is redundant.

my authority doesn't extend beyond the fact that MY last name had an umlaut one generation ago, but i'm pretty sure it's "STECK-LINE"..........

It is.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Illinois Jacquet has fourteen different ways to f it up.

My dad said "Christina Arugula" once, to prove that knowing current pop stars' names was worthless. Gnarly move, dad, comeon.

"Salt N Pepa" is embarrassing to even type, let alone say aloud. Some are best left incorrect.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    DrWu said:
    sabadabada said:

That's probably the only one I get right, and probably because I was corrected once too. But, Eumir Deodato, please?

Eh-you-MEER d'you DAH-too

I speak Portuguese, but I am not fluent.

Kindly,
    parallax

• czerwone gitary ??

ive never even tried to say it.... i just buy em if i see em!

• karlophone said:
    czerwone gitary ??

ive never even tried to say it.... i just buy em if i see em!

chur-ven-ee git-arr-ee.

• luck said:

Another good one: Wardell Quezerque = war-dell kah-zerk

actually it's Quezergue with a "g"...

• MAN-knee Buh-LOW-knee?

Man-KNEE BOH-loan

Muh-NYBO-lo-nay?