Artists whose names you're pretty sure you are mispronouncing

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
Like Oby Onyioha, or any Nigerian boogie artist for that matter! Anyone wanna tell me how to say this? I've only realised I had this problem recently when I started doing a weekly radio show. I go to say the name and I'm pretty sure I am messing it up badly. Not as bad as this NZ cat yesterday who pronounced Renee Geyer by saying something like Ron Geeves!

Rep your mispronounched artist names.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Cymande = Simi-nade???

Si-Man-Day...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    That Michelle Girl. N'degochellomello or something. I'm not even sure how to write it....

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    batmon said:
    Cymande = Simi-nade???

Si-Man-Day...

Always tricky: I usually pronounce this 'Sar-Mun-Day' but sometimes I change it up to more like 'Psy-Mun-day.'

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    sticky_dojah said:
    That Michelle Girl. N'degochellomello or something. I'm not even sure how to write it....

Meshell Ndegeocello = mee-shell nn-day-gay-oh-chello.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Manduro3000 said:

= "The Artist."

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    batmon said:
    Cymande = Simi-nade???

Si-Man-Day...

Always tricky: I usually pronounce this 'Sar-Mun-Day' but sometimes I change it up to more like 'Psy-Mun-day.'

= sah-mahn-day.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    For you Jazz dudes: I'm heading you off.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Thx luck. And I always say it more like Psy-Mandy...oh well...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    That's fine. I used to think it was pronounced Bow-cage for the longest time.

Another good one: Wardell Quezerque = war-dell kah-zerk

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    David Bowie. I pronounce it so that it rhymes with "joey," and I'm pretty sure that's not right.

Speaking of pronunciation, I heard some kinda wild shit a while back: I know dudes know about "nib" ("N.I.B.") and "dire maker" ("D'Yer Mak'er"), but whatchinz know about "sizzney" (CSNY)? I heard a dj say that, and I about fell out! I was about to call the station! I mean, I consider myself a progressive, but that shit was over the line.

Not music-related, but my favorite pronunciation lately is the deep-Chiburban Ladies Of A Certain Age who say "top notch" so it sounds like "two-wop new-watch." Whenever I hear it it makes me want to buy them some sort of uninvolved cocktail so I can listen to them talk about TJ Maxx or whatever for a few more minutes.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    james said:
    David Bowie. I pronounce it so that it rhymes with "joey," and I'm pretty sure that's not right.

Yes, that is correct. Bowie rhymes with "Joey."

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Pretty much any Turkish folk/psych artist. I can spell them but that's about the extent of it.

• Options
    Kemialliset Yst??v??t.

Though it might rhyme with Charalambides.

• I remember watching a Jerry Lewis telethon in 1981 when Ed McMahon announced that "Pat Benotter" would be one of the featured guests. And this was when Pat Benatar's fame was peaking, but I guess her fame hadn't spread to older generations yet.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Almond said:
    james said:

Eh, I don't know about that. He's said himself that he cribbed his name from o.g. Jim Bowie (whose name is pronounced "BOO-ee"), and George Clinton says "BOO-ee" somewhere on Mothership Connection.

Perhaps a UK affiliate can confirm or deny.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Akinyele. I'm probably spelling it wrong, too.

• I'm pretty sure Akineleye is more concerned with where you put it...

• Options
    james said:
    Almond said:
    james said:

Eh, I don't know about that. He's said himself that he cribbed his name from o.g. Jim Bowie (whose name is pronounced "BOO-ee"), and George Clinton says "BOO-ee" somewhere on Mothership Connection.

Perhaps a UK affiliate can confirm or deny.

I'm sure I've heard "Bow-ie knife" about 100 times more than I've heard "Boo-ie knife."

Then there was basketball's Sam Bowie. If anyone ever called him "Boo-ie" I missed it.

• erkin koray
    shamek farrah

and I've been told that I mispronounce moog. Is it pronounced moo-g or moe-g?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

I get how to say it now...gwa-puh-LAY

• unityunity 179 Posts
    bobtheorange said:

'moog' rhymes with 'vogue'

• unity said:
    bobtheorange said:

so I've been mispronouncing for quite a while.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    most people do ;)

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    bobtheorange said:
    unity said:
    bobtheorange said:

so I've been mispronouncing for quite a while.

No matter how many times people tell me this, I cannot bring myself to pronounce it this way - just sounds wrong.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    Akinyele. I'm probably spelling it wrong, too.
    aa-kin-ELL-lee

Kemialliset Yst??v??t
    KEM-ee-all-ee-set OOSH-tuh-vaut

Goapele
    gwa-puh-LAY

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    shar-day, not shah-day

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Ofege

• Kinetic said:
    Like Oby Onyioha, or any Nigerian boogie artist for that matter! Anyone wanna tell me how to say this?

i've been wondering about that one too. and is Jake Sollo pronounced with a long or short "o"?