The 2010 NFL Thread

Comments

• downtownrobbrown said:
    If the Steelers win their 7th Super Bowl title next weekend, that means that the Steelers would have just as many Super Bowl titles as the:

Ravens
    Bengals
    Browns
    Rams
    Chiefs
    Bears
    Jets
    Buccaneers
    Saints
    Vikings
    Bills
    Eagles
    Chargers
    Falcons
    Titans
    Panthers
    Seahawks
    Cardinals
    Lions
    Jaguars
    Texans

COMBINED!!!

This is disheartening. Poor Eagles. But on the bright side, at least they'll have Vick for another year as they figure out what next to do Kolb. Do you think he'll suffer from Favre Syndrome?! Magical year ending abruptly only to have disastrous year the next?!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• RAJ said:

:oh_my: :next_level: :oh_snap: :NO: :pasue: :oof:

• ^^^^^^^^^^^On his way to audition for a new reality show with Jon Gosselin.

• Options
    When did this become a Village People thread?

• incompletejigsaw said:

This is disheartening. Poor Eagles

how about this...we've had 44 Superbowls to date, 11 of those Lombardi Trophies have gone to whats now the NFC East, thats 1 in every 4 Superbowls & none of them have been won by the Eagles

• RAJ said:

i love this. everything about it.

• Risingson said:
    incompletejigsaw said:

This is disheartening. Poor Eagles

how about this...we've had 44 Superbowls to date, 11 of those Lombardi Trophies have gone to whats now the NFC East, thats 1 in every 4 Superbowls & none of them have been won by the Eagles

And we won't win one as long as Andy Reid is the coach. Built for the regular season, not the post season. I hope next season will be Andy Reid's last in Philly :dodododo:

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Phill With 2 Ls said:
    And we won't win one as long as Andy Reid is the coach. Built for the regular season, not the post season. I hope next season will be Andy Reid's last in Philly :dodododo:

They said the same about Cowher after what, 9 playoff exits in 13 years before finally winning one? I'd probably argue that:

Consistently putting a playoff caliber team out there - a testament to a quality coaching staff and GM/scouting department

Winning the Super Bowl once you're in the playoffs - luck as much as anything else

• RAJ said:

I hear Keisel is putting out a wizard rock album.

• RAJ said:

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    its better then the chinchilla, cashmere turtle neck combo he was rocking in press conferences

• dgriot said:
    Phill With 2 Ls said:

They said the same about Cowher after what, 9 playoff exits in 13 years before finally winning one? I'd probably argue that:

Cowher changed. After all those failures he came out the year before he finally won it and said "we are going to run the football". Do you think Andy Reid is ever going to adopt that philosophy? Hey, I hope he does but until he changes he's never gonna win it the way he's been doing it. I'm a huge Eagles fan and I thank the fat man for giving us all these years of competitive football, but just like McNabb leaving last year I think it's time for a new HC too.
    And btw, Cowher was a HUGE aberration. Most winning Super Bowl coaches have won their first within about 3 years of taking over their team. Other than Cowher I don't think anybody else has done it after more than 6 years or something like that.

• Options
    Phill With 2 Ls said:
    dgriot said:
    Phill With 2 Ls said:

Cowher changed. After all those failures he came out the year before he finally won it and said "we are going to run the football". Do you think Andy Reid is ever going to adopt that philosophy? Hey, I hope he does but until he changes he's never gonna win it the way he's been doing it. I'm a huge Eagles fan and I thank the fat man for giving us all these years of competitive football, but just like McNabb leaving last year I think it's time for a new HC too.
    And btw, Cowher was a HUGE aberration. Most winning Super Bowl coaches have won their first within about 3 years of taking over their team. Other than Cowher I don't think anybody else has done it after more than 6 years or something like that.

It used to happen - Tom Landry went about a hundred years in Dallas, and Stram, Madden and Noll all went 6 or more. Owners are a lot more impatient now, probably because they're now all evil billionaires.

I don't think Cowher changed much. He just got lucky and ended up with a killer defense, a surprising QB, and he played the Seahawks in the Super Bowl. I mean, the Seahawks. He was still the coach who thought Kordell Stewart could play QB.

It's not like Cowher was the pits, but I think it would be foolish for a team to hire him now after several years out of the game. Same with Billick. I'm not sure about Gruden - I'd probably give him the best shot of any of the Retired Messiahs to do well with a new team.

• Options
    RAJ said:

And the shitbucket is threatening the paper with legal action!

It's almost enough to make me feel sorry for fans of that fucked up team.

Has Goodell ever expressed a negative opinion about Snyder in public? So much for caring about fans.

• BobDesperado said:
    Phill With 2 Ls said:
    dgriot said:
    Phill With 2 Ls said:

It used to happen - Tom Landry went about a hundred years in Dallas, and Stram, Madden and Noll all went 6 or more. Owners are a lot more impatient now, probably because they're now all evil billionaires.

Out of those I'll give you Landry (12 years) and Madden (10 years). Stram won an AFL championship before their were any Super Bowls and in the Superbowl era he went to the first Super Bowl then won the fourth- not exactly a decade of frustration. Noll, as you said, took 6 years before winning one... Andy Reid has already doubled that length of time. In ANY era of the NFL since there have been Super Bowls it's absolutely an aberration if a coach wins one after trying anywhere near as long as Reid has been going at it. How many chances do you give a guy? The people living here in Philly have seen his show for long enough and it always ends the same way, usually for the same reasons. Now the Eagles have hired their offensive line coach- a guy who hasn't coached defense on any level other than high school- to be their new defensive coordinator!!! Yeah, dgriot is right... the Eagles better be some unbelievably lucky muthaf***as if they think they're gonna ever win one with Andy Reid. I hope it happens, believe me... common sense just says f**k outta here with that bullsh**.

• Options
    Phill With 2 Ls said:
    Andy Reid has already doubled that length of time. In ANY era of the NFL since there have been Super Bowls it's absolutely an aberration if a coach wins one after trying anywhere near as long as Reid has been going at it. How many chances do you give a guy? The people living here in Philly have seen his show for long enough and it always ends the same way, usually for the same reasons. Now the Eagles have hired their offensive line coach- a guy who hasn't coached defense on any level other than high school- to be their new defensive coordinator!!! Yeah, dgriot is right... the Eagles better be some unbelievably lucky muthaf***as if they think they're gonna ever win one with Andy Reid. I hope it happens, believe me... common sense just says f**k outta here with that bullsh**.

I don't disagree with you about Reid. I don't see things changing next year, either. I don't think Vick can get a team to the Super Bowl even with a coach who doesn't have Reid's obvious failings.

I think too many teams are giving up on coaches too quickly these days, but sometimes it's just time to do it. Jeff Fisher has been a mess lately and I can't see any Titans fans missing him. Shanahan was burnt out in Denver. Even Belichick has to be looked at over the next 2-3 years to see if he hasn't been in the same place too long.

Maybe the best example is Don Shula, who stuck around about a decade too long. They might as well have had the 2011 Joe Paterno in charge during Shula's last decade.

• BobDesperado said:
    Phill With 2 Ls said:
    Andy Reid has already doubled that length of time. In ANY era of the NFL since there have been Super Bowls it's absolutely an aberration if a coach wins one after trying anywhere near as long as Reid has been going at it. How many chances do you give a guy? The people living here in Philly have seen his show for long enough and it always ends the same way, usually for the same reasons. Now the Eagles have hired their offensive line coach- a guy who hasn't coached defense on any level other than high school- to be their new defensive coordinator!!! Yeah, dgriot is right... the Eagles better be some unbelievably lucky muthaf***as if they think they're gonna ever win one with Andy Reid. I hope it happens, believe me... common sense just says f**k outta here with that bullsh**.

I don't disagree with you about Reid. I don't see things changing next year, either. I don't think Vick can get a team to the Super Bowl even with a coach who doesn't have Reid's obvious failings.

I would love to defend Mike Vick, but I'm now hearing that he's hosting a Super Bowl party in Dallas... WTF ARE YOU DOING, MIKE??? Any place that you have to have your own security team, an NFL security detail, extra security provided by the club AND the manager of the club even throwing in dudes from a SWAT team IS A PLACE THAT YOU SHOULD NOT BE ANYWHERE NEAR. Mike has probably been itchin' and scratchin' for the chance to get back to the party life ever since last summer... as the season went on I could see the little signs that Ron Mexico was slowly trying to re-emerge. If he doesn't know by now that the last thing he needs to do is to be partying in the clubs then I have a really bad feeling that the Mike Vick Redemption Story is not gonna have a happy ending.

Anyway, if I don't get back to this thread before Sunday, I got the Steelers over GB 24-20 on a second half comeback... Pittsburgh D is gonna clamp down on A-Rodg after halftime, maybe force a fumble that will swing the game.

Anyway, if I don't get back to this thread before Sunday, I got the Steelers over GB 24-20 on a second half comeback... Pittsburgh D is gonna clamp down on A-Rodg after halftime, maybe force a fumble that will swing the game.

I really think the Packers are going to let their own press clippings go to their head. Almost all the analysts I've seen ( except for Phil Sims) are picking Green Bay based on the Steelers achilles heal (the spread offense). That will all go out the window once Rodgers gets a punishing hit or two.

Also this year's Madden 11 simulation picked the Steeelers (they have been right on the past 7 superbowls!)

:game_over:

• lol

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Phill With 2 Ls said:
    Yeah, dgriot is right... the Eagles better be some unbelievably lucky muthaf***as if they think they're gonna ever win one with Andy Reid. I hope it happens, believe me... common sense just says f**k outta here with that bullsh**.

I dunno, NFL common sense/conventional wisdom also says a team like the Cardinals gets nowhere near SB 43, yet only were a few plays from winning it all. It also says the Saints will never sniff a championship. It was also a foregone conclusion the 18-0 Pats would steamroll their way to a perfect season. etc. Every time conventional wisdom is shat upon, the exceptions are either forgotten or we make up oversimplified, reductive talking points to shoo it away so we can keep repeating the same lines.

I think part of the fun of the NFL is that playoff upsets are both more frequent and of greater magnitude than say the NBA (where a huge upset is a 7th/8th seed getting to the second round before getting blown out). It's a sport where, on average, a team has only 12 or so possessions to score, and there're separate players for offense and defense who generally never share the field, leading to 22 starters, which dilutes the impact of the star players compared to other sports. Combine this with making the playoffs single-elimination, and luck just factors way more in the post-season than any other pro sport. And instead of just appreciating that aspect, we have to make everything into a tight storyline or repeatable mantra.

(But yeah, I've got nothing to really defend that OL to DC coach promotion. heh.)

• great to see Suh win the Rookie of the Year award......I think most people assumed it would go to the QB

• dgriot said:
    Phill With 2 Ls said:
    Yeah, dgriot is right... the Eagles better be some unbelievably lucky muthaf***as if they think they're gonna ever win one with Andy Reid. I hope it happens, believe me... common sense just says f**k outta here with that bullsh**.

I dunno, NFL common sense/conventional wisdom also says a team like the Cardinals gets nowhere near SB 43, yet only were a few plays from winning it all. It also says the Saints will never sniff a championship. It was also a foregone conclusion the 18-0 Pats would steamroll their way to a perfect season. etc. Every time conventional wisdom is shat upon, the exceptions are either forgotten or we make up oversimplified, reductive talking points to shoo it away so we can keep repeating the same lines.

I think part of the fun of the NFL is that playoff upsets are both more frequent and of greater magnitude than say the NBA (where a huge upset is a 7th/8th seed getting to the second round before getting blown out). It's a sport where, on average, a team has only 12 or so possessions to score, and there're separate players for offense and defense who generally never share the field, leading to 22 starters, which dilutes the impact of the star players compared to other sports. Combine this with making the playoffs single-elimination, and luck just factors way more in the post-season than any other pro sport. And instead of just appreciating that aspect, we have to make everything into a tight storyline or repeatable mantra.

Well, I get what you are saying here... if Vick doesn't throw that last second INT, if Akers makes two makeable-for-him FGs, if a number of other things happen that really don't have a lot to do with Andy Reid's coaching philosophy / ability then the Eagles could very well be in Dallas on Sunday. And maybe they're getting Reid that SB win that I believe he will never get. That is indeed one of the great beauties of football, above any other sport- "on any given Sunday"... truer now than ever before in this age of NFL parity.
    I just hope that Jazzy Jeff Lurie and co. aren't gonna keep Andy Reid employed as the Eagles' HC based on the hope that one year he'll get lucky... that's basically what they've been doing for the last 12 years. I understand the idea, just put together a team that will be in contention every year and hope one of those years the stars will align. My problem is just the way they go about it- I don't think the Eagles are ever built to succeed against the best teams in the NFL, and they are ALWAYS outcoached in their biggest games every season. I'll leave it at that because I could type up a whole book on this schitt. [/perpetually frustrated Eagles fan rant]

(But yeah, I've got nothing to really defend that OL to DC coach promotion. heh.)

:game_over:

• Options
    Phill With 2 Ls said:
    I would love to defend Mike Vick, but I'm now hearing that he's hosting a Super Bowl party in Dallas... WTF ARE YOU DOING, MIKE??? Any place that you have to have your own security team, an NFL security detail, extra security provided by the club AND the manager of the club even throwing in dudes from a SWAT team IS A PLACE THAT YOU SHOULD NOT BE ANYWHERE NEAR. Mike has probably been itchin' and scratchin' for the chance to get back to the party life ever since last summer... as the season went on I could see the little signs that Ron Mexico was slowly trying to re-emerge. If he doesn't know by now that the last thing he needs to do is to be partying in the clubs then I have a really bad feeling that the Mike Vick Redemption Story is not gonna have a happy ending.

He still seems like a guy who will end up filing for another bankruptcy within 5 years after his retirement... the same year he gets busted for bankrolling an interstate drug ring. Maybe he'll prove to be better and smarter than that.

Steelers fans must love the news that Big Ben was out pounding down the brews until 1 AM the other night. It may be no big deal but doesn't he have a fucking sensible cell in his brain? That night won't be forgotten if he craps out Sunday night.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Well, I get what you are saying here... if Vick doesn't throw that last second INT, if Akers makes two makeable-for-him FGs, if a number of other things happen that really don't have a lot to do with Andy Reid's coaching philosophy / ability then the Eagles could very well be in Dallas on Sunday. And maybe they're getting Reid that SB win that I believe he will never get. That is indeed one of the great beauties of football, above any other sport- "on any given Sunday"... truer now than ever before in this age of NFL parity.
    I just hope that Jazzy Jeff Lurie and co. aren't gonna keep Andy Reid employed as the Eagles' HC based on the hope that one year he'll get lucky... that's basically what they've been doing for the last 12 years. I understand the idea, just put together a team that will be in contention every year and hope one of those years the stars will align. My problem is just the way they go about it- I don't think the Eagles are ever built to succeed against the best teams in the NFL, and they are ALWAYS outcoached in their biggest games every season. I'll leave it at that because I could type up a whole book on this schitt. [/perpetually frustrated Eagles fan rant]

If the Eagles were the team I lived and died with, I'd probably be singing a similar tune.

For what it's worth, Lurie and company have shown, with examples including the Vick signing, the OL to DC coaching move, trading McNabb to the Redskins of all teams, letting fan favorites like Dawkins go a year or two early instead of keeping players well past their peak, etc. is that they don't give a rat's ass about fan and media perception or loyalty. They just care about putting the best product on the field. That's why I think if Lurie thought someone was available who'd be a clear upgrade over Reid, Lurie wouldn't hesitate in replacing him.

• Options
    Risingson said:
    great to see Suh win the Rookie of the Year award......I think most people assumed it would go to the QB

They both won. There are separate awards for offensive and defensive ROY.

• I got the Packers tonight 27-24.

What are you guys making?
    Over here its green chili cheese nachos, buffalo wings, 3 bean chili, and maybe some pastrami sandwiches.

And of course last night the tube blew on my tv, so its got a major rainbow effect and now I have to go buy a new tv. :balla: