TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i gotta say aquilani is playing very well for juve now
    and has helped them from being in liverpool's position in serie a

also sagna does not score often but his goals this season have been scorchers
    i hope Arsenal studies real betis tapes because feb 16 is approaching
    also i wonder if they will pull off that fabregas move before the window

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I'm thinking Duder worked some voodoo by posting all those videos of screeeemers yesterday.

• poor harry... "I just probably looked stupid or something."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12257958

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    neil_something said:
    poor harry... "I just probably looked stupid or something."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12257958

Even in Spain they know he always has a load of cash on him.

• That's ok - he mugged them off for VDV in August..

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    No dudes talmbout the resurrection on New York Cosmos? A name in mothballs since 1985.

Kemsley and them looking for land in Queens.
    3 million people catchment area. Cantona as some flavour of Football Director or somesuch. Pele as president. Rent-a-quote gobshite.
    Chinaglia cheerleading on whatever small time radio show will have him.
    But no team, no ground yet and no slot in MLS.
    Can it work?

WTF

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    That Meireles volley is goal of the year so far.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Bah. Not even goal of the day.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    skel said:
    No dudes talmbout the resurrection on New York Cosmos? A name in mothballs since 1985.

3 million people catchment area. Cantona as some flavour of Football Director or somesuch. Pele as president. Rent-a-quote gobshite.
    Can it work?

WTF

This story gets floated every 5 years or so in NYC. What is news to me is that the Mets are now also interested in the soccerball, and happen to be located in the same part of Queens that Cantona and gang appear to be looking to set up shop. After the Mets on and off-field business decisions of the last decade, I can't imagine that they are in anyway profitable and this soccer thing is some sort of desperate attempt to win something without spending 87 billion dollars a year on payroll.

I say move the Mets to Brooklyn, rename them the Dodgers, and turn the Mets into a soccer team with Cantona as captain (he could still play at least 20-30mins a game in the MLS!)

Anyway, this is where they would look to build it
    http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/67179/

• SportCasual said:
    skel said:

Can it work?

WTF

This story gets floated every 5 years or so in NYC. What is news to me is that the Mets are now also interested in the soccerball, and happen to be located in the same part of Queens that Cantona and gang appear to be looking to set up shop. After the Mets on and off-field business decisions of the last decade, I can't imagine that they are in anyway profitable and this soccer thing is some sort of desperate attempt to win something without spending 87 billion dollars a year on payroll.

I say move the Mets to Brooklyn, rename them the Dodgers, and turn the Mets into a soccer team with Cantona as captain (he could still play at least 20-30mins a game in the MLS!)

Anyway, this is where they would look to build it
    http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/67179/

thierry henry and rooney II are on the new york red bulls in the MLS. what would become of that team?

Red Bulls are what, 50 miles from the Queens site?
    That's a lot of target audience to aim for right there.

I think I just found an MLS team to root for, provided we don't have to hear Pele blather on trying to please all of the people all of the time.
    Dude, we get it. You'll say anything to anyone as long as there's some paper for you at the end of it.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Okem said:

PLZ BE SERIOUS

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    musica said:
    Okem said:

PLZ BE SERIOUS
    I'm biased as hell BUT IMHO this is a better goal.

The Meireles volley was sweet but in no way was it goal of the season / If the ball played up to Kuyt ? and the knock-back to Meireles were all intentional, then yes it would've been a contender. But it wernt.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    So I see that the UK media is shocked and stunned today at the revelation that two sad old twats who should have been retired ten years ago have sexist views about football. On the plus side I'd love to see Hairy Hands Keys be given the boot. On the negative side I fear this would usher in either Colin Murray or Adrian Chiles to the hot seat.

B/w

This will be Berbatov's season

• so it turns out richard keys and andy "messi couldn't do it against stoke" gray are total c*nts. who knew?

now if only jamie redknapp would say something offensive so he can get sacked too.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Junior said:
    So I see that the UK media is shocked and stunned today at the revelation that two sad old twats who should have been retired ten years ago have sexist views about football. On the plus side I'd love to see Hairy Hands Keys be given the boot. On the negative side I fear this would usher in either Colin Murray or Adrian Chiles to the hot seat.

The biggest irony, as has been widely pointed out, is that Sian Murray was correct not to flag Meireles offside for our first. In the light of the leaked audio, Andy Gray's unseemly haste to declare she'd got it wrong, almost before Hennessey had picked the ball out of the net, made him look even more idiotic.

As an adjunct to this, the feeling at Sky Sports (according to a mate who knows a few senior bods there) is that Gray in particular may have been stitched up on the orders of someone high on the News Int'l totem pole as punishment for suing the company over alleged phone-hacking. It appears that neither he nor Bigfoot realised that their pre-broadcast run-throughs and chit-chats were picked up by channels in the 90 countries who take Sky's EPL feeds, and that any one of them could have broadcast their ramblings at any time. Since they're said to have come out with far worse than this in the past, it does seem like something of an unfortunate coincidence that it should be this of all weekends that they get caught wiping their metaphorical dicks on the curtains.

I'd have no problem with Ben Shepherd taking over from Keys. Free of the latter's smug complacency, still clearly very enthusiastic about his new gig, and he seems to know what he's talking about.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i think suarez to liverpool would be what your team needs

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    skel said:
    Red Bulls are what, 50 miles from the Queens site?
    That's a lot of target audience to aim for right there.

They are not that far away, but your point is understood.

i know the MLS would love to create another derby in the league (only LA has 2 teams right now). That, and the NE corridor of DC, Philly, NY & Boston creates the chance for 5 teams to be a manageable train/bus ride away for supporters. That is about as good a deal you can get here in the states with getting fans to attend away matches.

As for the Cosmos, I would love to see them back and in the league. there is no shortage of people interested in football in NYC and the area, so I think it would be more successful here than in other cities. Apparently the MLS commissioner has already given them the "wink & nod" so i just think they need to line up funding and a stadium.

And hopefully that stadium is in the city proper (with subway access). While RedBulls Stadium isn't that difficult to get to (perhaps even easier than most NYC'ers realize), there is something to be said with not having to change from the MTA subway to get to a match.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts
    Resurrecting that NHS discussion a while back...

Nudge smudge: UK Government misrepresents ???nudge???

The recent public health White Paper, Healthy lives, healthy people: our strategy for public health in England,1 makes several references to the so-called nudge approach to behavioural change popularised in a book of that name by Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstein.2 We argue that the government has misrepresented nudging as being in opposition to their use of regulation and legislation to promote health, and that this misrepresentation serves to obscure the government???s failure to propose realistic actions to address the upstream socioeconomic and environmental determinants of disease.
    The theory of nudging assumes that people make most decisions unconsciously and non-rationally and are
    infl uenced by contextual cues, and thus their behaviour can be manipulated by changing the way that choices are presented to them (see examples below). Nudging is described as libertarian paternalism because, although the nudgers (or choice architects as they are called by Thaler and Sunstein) are trying to encourage individuals to enact beneficial behaviours, no compulsion is involved. The White Paper presents nudging as being in opposition to what is termed ???Whitehall diktat???, ???nannying???, and ???banning???,1 and as working in voluntary partnership with, rather than regulating, business.
    In his House of Commons speech, Health Secretary Andrew Lansley argued: ???Rather than nannying people,
    we will nudge them by working with industry to make healthier lifestyles easier.???3
    The UK Government is already putting this new approach into practice. It is reconsidering the ban on
    the display of tobacco products that was due to have taken eff ect in 2011 and is delaying detailed proposals
    for a ban on below-cost selling of alcohol (having already rejected the strong evidence-based option of
    minimum pricing).4 The government has established a new public-health advisory body dominated by the food
    and drink industry, with additional contributions from alcohol producers and operators of private gyms. This is
    the natural successor of the Public Health Commission that Andrew Lansley created when in opposition,
    comprising representatives of many of the companies that have been the strongest opponents of public
    health legislation (including measures that are entirely consistent with the nudge approach, such as traffi c-light warnings on processed food).
    But the government has misrepresented the nudge approach. Although Thaler and Sunstein argue that
    nudging does not involve compelling or placing excessive economic pressure on individuals to change
    their behaviour, they do not pit nudging in opposition to the government using its formal powers to infl uence
    the behaviour of business. Their book, Nudge: improving decisions about health, wealth, and happiness,2 presents its case mainly through examples of practical action, including legislation (eg, enacting cap-and-trade systems to limit pollution) and regulation (eg, requiring businesses to inform consumers about harms from cigarettes and pesticides).
    Reading Nudge,2 it is clear why governments sometimes need to regulate business and why attempts to work with businesses as voluntary partners in public health might be unsuccessful when the interests of the companies concerned confl ict with public health goals. Thaler and Sunstein suggest that when ???consumers have a less than fully rational belief, fi rms often have more incentive to cater to that belief than to eradicate it???. Whereas citizens might harm themselves through non-rational decisions, businesses sometimes harm consumers as a result of serving their commercial interests.
    The previous government commissioned the MINDSPACE report,5 which assessed the potential
    of nudge-based approaches across the spectrum of public policy. This report did not view nudging and
    governmental use of formal powers as a dichotomy, nor did it privilege government???business partnerships.
    Instead, it suggested that nudging ???complements and improves conventional policy tools, rather than acting as
    a replacement for them??? and that ???sustainable changes in behaviour will come from the successful integration of cultural, regulatory and individual change???, identifying reductions in drink-driving as an example.
    The misrepresentation of nudging in the White Paper might serve an ideological purpose. Healthy lives, healthy people1 was the government???s response to Michael Marmot???s review6 of health inequalities. Although the White Paper acknowledges that health inequalities exist and are a result of individuals??? social and economic circumstances, it makes few realistic proposals about how these inequalities should be addressed, and an independent analysis7 suggests Yale University Press the UK Coalition Government???s broader policies on taxation and welfare are likely to exacerbate economic inequalities, and thus health inequalities too. Reference
    to nudging might function as a smokescreen for inaction. Superfi cially, nudging seems to resonate with
    Marmot???s review in its emphasis on environmental infl uences. However, whereas Marmot considers upstream
    factors such as poverty, neighbourhood deprivation, and over-reliance on fossil fuels, nudging focuses
    on downstream factors such as how individuals absorb information and perceive choices.
    In fact, Nudge, which is not referenced anywhere by Marmot, largely ignores the socioeconomic determinants
    of behaviour. Rather than combating poverty and injustice, nudgers can only hope to compensate by
    nudging people who are poor more vigorously. But how can one nudge away the poor life-chances of children
    living in poverty,8 the societal harms arising from income inequality,9 or the obesogenic eff ects of the excessive use of fossil fuels?10 How could nudges have combated cholera from poor hygiene in the 19th century or respiratory disease from pollution in the 20th century?
    The government even seems to misrepresent the core message of Marmot???s review to legitimise a reduced
    role for the state in public health. A recent Cabinet Offi ce report on health and behavioural change11
    argues: ???The lifestyle factors that impact upon people???s health and wellbeing are often deeply entwined in the
    fabric of our everyday lives. In these areas, passing an Act of Parliament is unlikely to have the desired eff ect. Strong-armed regulation is not the answer to rebalancing our diets, changing our desire to drink too much alcohol on a Friday night, or making our lives more active.??? Unsurprisingly, this argument is not made in Marmot???s review itself, which makes a strong evidence-based case for governmental action to promote public health, including through legislation, regulation, taxation, and welfare. It also highlights the eff ectiveness of minimum pricing for alcohol to reduce health inequalities and calls for regulation to reduce the local concentration of fast-food outlets.
    This government has apparently welcomed Marmot???s review while using a misrepresentation of nudge theory to muddy debate, obscuring its failure to engage with the upstream socioeconomic determinants of health, for which Marmot provides so much evidence. The Thatcher administration???s attempt to bury the 1980 Black Report12 on health inequalities resulted in it becoming one of the most infl uential public health reports in history. Politicians might have decided that bland platitudes plus references to fashionable concepts and some misrepresentation of their implications for policy might make for more eff ective containment than
    old-fashioned suppression ever could.
    *Chris Bonell, Martin McKee, Adam Fletcher,
    Andrew Haines, Paul Wilkinson
    Faculty of Public Health and Policy, London School of Hygiene and
    Tropical Medicine, London WC1H 9SH, UK
    chris.bonell@lshtm.ac.uk
    We declare that we have no confl icts of interest.
    1 Department of Health. Healthy lives, healthy people: our strategy for
    public health in England. Nov 30, 2010. http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/
    Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/
    DH_121941 (accessed Dec 13, 2010).
    2 Thaler R, Sunstein C. Nudge: improving decisions about health, wealth,
    and happiness. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2009.
    3 Channel 4 News. Andrew Lansley publishes public health White Paper.
    Nov 30, 2010. http://www.channel4.com/news/andrew-lansley-publishespublic-
    health-white-paper (accessed Dec 16, 2010).
    4 Purshouse RC, Meier PS, Brennan A, Taylor KB, Rafi a R. Estimated eff ect
    of alcohol pricing policies on health and health economic outcomes in
    England: an epidemiological model. Lancet 2010; 375: 1355???64.
    5 Dolan P, Hallsworth M, Halpern D, King D, Vlaev I. MINDSPACE:
    infl uencing behaviour through public policy. 2010. http://www.
    instituteforgovernment.org.uk/content/133/mindspace-infl uencingbehaviour-
    through-public-policy (accessed Dec 13, 2010).
    6 Marmot MG. Fair society, healthy lives. The Marmot review: strategic
    review of health inequalities in England post-2010. 2010. http://www.
    marmotreview.org (accessed Dec 13, 2010).
    7 Browne J, Levell P. The distributional eff ect of tax and benefi t reforms to be
    introduced between June 2010 and April 2014: a revised assessment. 2010.
    http://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/5246 (accessed Jan 4, 2011).
    8 Davey-Smith G. Health inequalities: lifecourse approaches. London:
    Policy Press, 2003.
    9 Wilkinson R, Pickett K. The spirit level: why more equal societies almost
    always do better. London: Allen Lane, 2009.
    10 Roberts I, Edwards P. The energy glut. London: Zed Books, 2010.
    11 Cabinet Offi ce Behavioural Insight Team. Applying behavioural insight to
    health. Dec 31, 2010. http://www.cabinetoffi ce.gov.uk/resource-library/
    applying-behavioural-insight-health (accessed Jan 4, 2011).
    12 Department of Health and Social Security. Inequalities in heath: report
    of a research working group. London: HM Stationery Offi ce, 1980.

Please to summarise in a maximum of two pithy sentences, as my eyes started bleeding halfway through para one.

If the net result is on some BLAME THATCHER, TORIES BAD LABOUR GOOD RAH RAH RAH!!1!! tip, please save your typing hand for something more rewarding

;-)

Well, the govmt are, get this, taking nudge theory from the good ol' US of A. Only the misrepresentation that the article speaks of is about taking certain ideas out-of-context, such as trying to turn a profit from public health

The government has established a new public-health advisory body dominated by the food
    and drink industry, with additional contributions from alcohol producers and operators of private gyms

all the while the US is turning away from this and trying to reach some kind of compromise between no public healthcare and free public health care. So the one lesson that should be learned from the US approach is that putting public health in the hands of the market and the responsibility on the individual only increases the divide between rich & poor, leads to third world conditions, but that seems to be the angle the government are aiming for while trying to spin it as part of the 'big society'.

Obviously the debate of nannyism vs self-reliance is age-old, but if you go into impoverished communities and ask people who don't have the education to know better here's a budget, what would you like it spent on to improve your life, there's a good chance that because of the society that we live in, the answer won't be a responsible one (i.e. good hospitals & schools), it'll be one about immediate gratification.

Or,

Thatcher bad, New Labour hypocrites, new ConDems bunch of cunts too.

b/w

Wembly here we come! Carling Cup would be nice to put on the shelf. Goddamn UTD were 2-0 down to Blackpool and things were really looking rosy. Still, another game and Van Percy hasn't been crocked, and just looks sharper and sharper (he hit the frame AGAIN - must be a season record already). Arshaving is playng like he expected to go to Barca last summer.

50 min: I'd like to see a replay of that but from first look it seemed that Blackpool have just been denied a certain penalty! Rafael clattered into Varney to knock him off the ball. I've just seen the replay and my mind is unchanged.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,898 Posts
    Pete Walton strikes again. It's ok, he hates City.

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts

What a cretin, he sounds like your mates dad trying to sound young or something

• Duderonomy said:
    Arshaving is playng like he expected to go to Barca last summer.

i spent most of the match bitching about his inability to complete a pass (then he gets two "assists"). not sure what's up with him, really.

that bendtner goal was out of the hat though. and i will never get used to the shit music that accompanies most youtube football videos.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Adebayor to Madrid
    on one side i am pissed because with Higuain out they needed another striker
    on the other i can't wait to see him and benzema clash and him not giving it up to ronaldo
    i hope this somehow helps bar??a we will be seeing madrid in the copa del rey final por seguro

Duder, I think it makes more sense to do exactly the opposite of whatever the US does, in virtually all fields.

Economically, politically, environmentally, militarily, educationally, and socially.

So farewell then
    Richard Keys and Andy Gray
    "Tuck this in, love"
    That was your catchphrase

Gray got 1.7m a year for about an hour's air time a couple of times a week?
    Man, we're in the wrong line of business.

LOL at Keys.

What a cunt.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Putting the W into anchor man.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,898 Posts
    I have never been truly convinced of the gravitas of Sky presenters, on anything. It's like they are all too smug to get work on proper telly channels like what we had before cay-bull (when tellies had no remotes and 4 buttons). Gray's departure was good, but Keys is the icing on the cake. Slimy, ingratiating sexist oversize hobbit motherf*cker that he is.

I am feeling VINDICATED right about now.

I guess Ron Atkinson and Jim Davidson's agents can expect warm ears...