TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Re: the value for money comments... I suppose ??24 million to a Man U fan is a bargain.

Samuel Eto'o - ??17.7m as part of the Ibra madness looks better and better.

I know Villa need a striker, and I know Bent isn't the donkey he was at Spurs, but I also know that the possibility of paying ??24 m for his services is hardly good business. Having said all of that, I'm sure he'll score a hat-trick for the Villa next time they play l'Arse. :-S

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts
    djwaxon said:
    Apparently the West Ham board are committed to retaining Avram Grant after all this Martin O Neill stuff. The situation absolutely stinks to me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/9364949.stm

Looks as if O'Neill has tried to gouge more money out of Gold & Sullivan, who've clearly told him to sling his hook.

All day Saturday, the media was full of talk about how Grant would be gone after the game no matter what the result. They'd obviously been briefed by the club, just like the BBC's "midlands football correspondent" had been briefed by O'Neill, with all that "Martin has massive respect for West Ham as a club" cobblers.

I have no time for O'Neill. It's funny how the meeja has persisted with this notion that Rafa left LFC in a mess, even though Rafa's main issue with the LFC board - insufficient commitment in the transfer market - was ostensibly the same reason O'Neill left Villa. Oddly enough, nobody seems interested in talking about how O'Neill seems to have left behind a side in far greater danger of being dragged into a relegation battle than Rafa has, for the obvious reason that it doesn't square with the "MO'N for England", great-manager narrative that's been created for O'Neill.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I thought the concept of there being 'no value' in the transfer market was laughable. Why aren't United going in for Darren Bent at a bargain 24 million? IT MUST BE THE GLAZERS DEBTS!

Villa absolutely need a new striker, their defence has lost the plot recently but it's still the same guys who were solid as a rock last season.

Paul said:
    but it's still the same guys who were solid as a rock last season.

Under MON?

J i m s t e r said:
    I could mention Veron but in all honesty he did have a few great games for Un*ted. I think Keano wanted him out.

It's bizarre about Veron. Most people who know anything about football would have said, prior to him coming to the Prem, that he was probably the world's best in his position - certainly amongst the world's best. Yet it's odd that he makes two big-money moves in succession, from one high-profile club to another, and fails to settle in either instance. He was never really bad bad for either United or Chelsea - he's certainly got his mojo back since he left - but 60-odd appearances for the thick end of ??50m in transfer fees is a pretty poor return, whichever way you slice it.

More West Ham shenanigans.

Didn't this shower of imbeciles almost run Birmingham City into the ground?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    Of all the London clubs, I have most affinity for the Hammers. I blame it on too much Iron Maiden as a youth. With that in mind, I say Steve Harris and the boys must be good for a few bob, they should buy them out and do a proper job.

The reality for Hammers fans is currently very bleak, but at least the squad seem to be behind Avram.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Hello my fellow euromen...

So both my Technics 1210's are broke. The right rca cable has gone on both & now i have to record all my samples in mono. Does anyone know how much it might cost to fix this or is it easy enough to do with a soldering iron & willpower? :talib:

Thanks folls.

You could buy a 1 male>2 female RCA splitter for both decks - that way you would at least get two channels sent to the sampler.

This seems to be a common fault, and should be reasonably simple to either fix yourself, or cheap enough to have somebody else do it for you.

I can't give any more help than that as I've had the same pair of Japanese Vestax with unpluggable cables for 13 years... (grabs popcorn).

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    If you've got a decent variable-temperature soldering iron, it's pretty straight forward to swap cables. I did it with a cheap soldering iron though and melted the plastic under the rails cos the iron was too hot. I'd like to put in the socket conversion at some point:

http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/P/6787/Tru+Sound+Turntable+Replacement+Output+Socket+Plate+Technics+SL-1200+SL-1210+Phono+(RCA)

DocMcCoy said:

I have no time for O'Neill. It's funny how the meeja has persisted with this notion that Rafa left LFC in a mess, even though Rafa's main issue with the LFC board - insufficient commitment in the transfer market - was ostensibly the same reason O'Neill left Villa. Oddly enough, nobody seems interested in talking about how O'Neill seems to have left behind a side in far greater danger of being dragged into a relegation battle than Rafa has, for the obvious reason that it doesn't square with the "MO'N for England", great-manager narrative that's been created for O'Neill.

I'm not a Villa fan, but I don't understand your anti-MON sentiment. He left on the back of another 6th place finish. Two seasons running he'd watched his best player sold to Citeh for ??20 mil plus, and was told, as you say, that there was no cash for re-investment. I'm not sure about previous seasons, but his last season saw him in charge of the smallest squad in the Prem. So ??18-24 mil for Bent would really piss me off if I was MON and there was any truth in the spending angle.

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas (Cardiff, loan).
    Federico Macheda (Sampdoria, Loan).

J.E.T. looked impressive in the reserves... Arsenal always been hit by depth issues as season enters end-game, seems a strange move?

Moorcheeba... Whagwan there?

• I'd agree with that.
    O'Neill made some great signings in getting the likes of Dunne and Warnock to Villa for pretty small fees too.
    Not sure where the ill feeling towards him comes from - his personality?
    Seeing someone like Houllier come in and fail to get anything from Ireland, then get Pires makes O'Neill look like a genius to me.
    The biggest question is what happened to change Lerner's mind?
    For a team that finished 6th three seasons in a row isn't it strange that they didn't want to back O'Neill to push on higher??
    Now they want to spend the money to stave off relegation??

The only reason Villa are doing so atrocious is the injury crisis which has seen 19 of the first team missing fixtures through injuries. Apart from Brad Friedel, every starting XI player has missed matches this season through injury.

The young players coming through at Villa are better than anything Liverpool are coming up with: Marc Albrighton, Barry Bannan, Ciaran Clark, Jonathan Hogg and to a lesser extent Nathan Delfouneso and Fabian Delph.

The real judgement will be Liverpool and Villa's respective league positions at the end of the season though.

I'm enjoying these debates btw, Transfer Policies Of Medium Sized Premier League Clubs Revealed.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The Liverpool youth system produced Jay Spearing doe. (from some dna left in the showers by Gerrard and Kuyt)

-

I think when Houllier came in he tried, and failed, to shake things by dropping first teamers, apparently he was not speaking to Carew.
    Villa do have a very strong youth/reserve team though, so I can see why he wanted to give those players a chance. It may not have given their first team much success but it's taught those young players an invaluable lesson.

Duderonomy said:
    DocMcCoy said:

I'm not a Villa fan, but I don't understand your anti-MON sentiment. He left on the back of another 6th place finish. Two seasons running he'd watched his best player sold to Citeh for ??20 mil plus, and was told, as you say, that there was no cash for re-investment. I'm not sure about previous seasons, but his last season saw him in charge of the smallest squad in the Prem. So ??18-24 mil for Bent would really piss me off if I was MON and there was any truth in the spending angle.

Just not into the media-created Cult Of O'Neill. The way he gets talked up is wildly out of proportion to his achievements.

According to Stan Collymore, MON is the best manager he's ever played for and he has no doubt that MON would sit atop the Prem (priest/sugar-like) if given the reins to a "Big" club i.e. ??100M "War Chest" every window. MON has similar motivational skills to the one CLOUGHIE, apparently (didn't Cloughie march roughshod through several divisions on the spin, doe?).

MON did alright North of the Border but it's hardly the most competitive league in the world, is it?

FWIW I would like to see him @ a big 4 to see if he craps or gets off the potty. He is utterly dour as a pundit.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Federico Macheda (Sampdoria, Loan).

J.E.T. looked impressive in the reserves... Arsenal always been hit by depth issues as season enters end-game, seems a strange move?
    We have way too many forwards at the moment. Bendy, Chamakh & Arshavin are struggling to get in the team as it is, Jay stood little chance of getting the playing time he needs.
    I would've liked him to have gone out to a PL club, he's talented enough and some PL teams seem happy to take on these youngsters, but there seems to be an opinion that he's a bit lazy & that seems to put clubs off. Or maybe Wenger lacks the cronies in the lower league teams to sort something out.

Okem said:
    J i m s t e r said:

I would've liked him to have gone out to a PL club

Ramsey came from Cardiff. Sure it's a 'reciprocal' loan in respect of that sale. Then again, considering we loaned Birmingham Bendtner & Djourou, and they destroyed Eduardo's leg in return, I could be chatting wank.

badder_than_evil said:

The biggest question is what happened to change Lerner's mind?

I reckon the cracks appeared during the Barry sale. Conflicting views on whether or not he was going, or wanted to go, then Barry giving it the big 'un that he wanted out for Champions league footy and not for money, and he ups sticks to Citeh who weren't top 4 at the time. Kick in the teeth for MON who had been supportive. Then Milner does one. MON probably expected a summer transfer season revamping the team, and he got nada, so he jumped before he was pushed in August. Lerner was impatient? Lerner was expecting more reward for the money spent? Stability and investment seem to breed success in the modern game... can Rednapp keep Spuds in the top 4, 'cos once those marquee players have tasted the Champs league, they'll hot foot it to Manure/Chelski/Citeh should Rednapp take his wandering eye off the league. Or I'm chatting wank again. :cheese:

• Top four is absolutely vital for Tottenham.
    Whether we'll get it is another matter - certainly not if Harry keeps playing Crouch.

The only player I can see going at the end of this season is Modric - I'd be happy with 25 mill for him.

I don't understand why Vela isn't held in higher regard - the bloke has never had a 5-10 match run of games..why not?

Vela took the art of squandering chances to levels that surpassed even Bendtner. Also, if you're a short-arse playing up front, and you can't outmuscle defenders, you should be fast. Vela is skillful, but not fast enough for the EPL.

HAVE SOME OF THAT

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Guardian commenters are calling this a "Luther Blissett to Milan" type deal, with the people of Britain being the big winners.

SportCasual said:
    Guardian commenters are calling this a "Luther Blissett to Milan" type deal, with the people of Britain being the big winners.

The people of Britain are def the winners. Thank you, US of A.

J i m s t e r said:
    FWIW I would like to see him @ a big 4 to see if he craps or gets off the potty. He is utterly dour as a pundit.

I wish he'd got the Liverpool job. Just for McCoy's reaction. And your reasons, of couse.

Howard Stern is a broadcasting giant compared to that fuckwit Piers Morgan.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    You gots to love the sentimentality of Liverpool supporters.

The revisionist, rose-tinted view of Rafa and the redonkulous and ruinous return of Dalglish.

Maybe not ruinous, but I couldn't find an 'r' term for 'treading water' to keep the alliterative vibe going.

Aquilani dude is a good case in point.
    Either he was a brilliant player that Benitez couldn't motivate, or Benitez is rubbish at picking players.
    One of the two.

One thing's for sure, Benitez wasn't a brilliant motivator with a great eye for a player.
    That's more Harry's line.

I do recall a handful of dudes on here laughing at the qualities Redknapp brings to a club.
    They don't laugh at B'mouth, P'mouth or Spurs.

West Ham? I could give a fuck.

skel said:
    You gots to love the sentimentality of Liverpool supporters.

*sigh*

The revisionist, rose-tinted view of Rafa and the redonkulous and ruinous return of Dalglish.

Not this horse. Let me put it this way; regardless of his troubles with the board, Benitez had, over five seasons, shown himself to be unable to build a squad capable of winning the title. It was right for him to go.

However, replacing him with Roy Hodgson had all the hallmarks of a decision made by people who didn't know anything about football, and who'd been seduced by Fulham's Europa League run and the attendant favourable press Uncle Woy had received, and continued to receive as he drove Liverpool to all manner of "worst since whenever" records. It was right for him to go, too.

The only thing I fear Dalglish may ruin is his standing amongst Liverpool fans. I didn't want him back, but under the circumstances there were few other options. I don't want him to stay either, regardless of what Steven fucking Gerrard might think. It's become clear over recent months that he and Carragher have far too much influence at Liverpool, and the sooner a new manager comes in and curbs that influence the better.

Aquilani dude is a good case in point.
    Either he was a brilliant player that Benitez couldn't motivate, or Benitez is rubbish at picking players.
    One of the two.

We were offered him by Roma because they owed us money for Riise. He was crocked when we bought him and remained so for much of the season, so it was obviously a bad idea to buy him at that point. But buy him we did, and on the few occasions he was available, he played well. At the start of this season, when he was finally fully fit and we needed a player like him, Hodgson chose to loan him out to Juve and replace him with one of their fringe players. His inability to make a significant impact at Liverpool can't really be blamed on Benitez. However, replacing one of your key midfielders, who you'd managed to alienate over the previous two seasons, with a player you knew wouldn't be available to you for the first three months of the season...well, that's another matter.

One thing's for sure, Benitez wasn't a brilliant motivator with a great eye for a player.

See above. His man-management skills did leave something to be desired.

I do recall a handful of dudes on here laughing at the qualities Redknapp brings to a club.
    They don't laugh at B'mouth, P'mouth or Spurs.

They might laugh at Spurs when their manager gets banged up on fraud charges, though.