Rap aint dead...

Comments

• i have no idea the demographics of people on the strut....race, age, etc...but i believe it all plays a part in how we stand on this issue. why judge the music just because it comes from a different land? arent most of you the same people that dig in asia and europe to pull mega raers? so essentially, its ok to like lesser known shit as long as its on vinyl and might have some samples.. but when it comes to rap, it can only be from here because thats how it started. blah.

the video first shown was pretty shitty. didnt have to watch beyond a minute to know that.

m-phazes is one of the only producers i know from australia and i think he is pretty good.

• HarveyCanal said:
    frenzie said:

That's a fairly self centered comment, typical of perhaps 15 or 20 years ago, and even somewhat ignorant - I don't know if you got the memo, but Hip Hop is international now - and has been for quite some time.

If only you knew how laughable that starement is to us here in the States.

Don't mean to be mean, but y'all are soooo faar out of your element with this ish.

Seriously, like Batmon declared from jump...that song is WACK WACK WACK.

Shit, even for us to be using the term WACK...that's a word we're having to re-access from 15+ years ago because that's at least how far behind the times that song is.

Of course, you probably think of it as DOPE.

Yikes!

You sound white.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    the_dL said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    frenzie said:

That's a fairly self centered comment, typical of perhaps 15 or 20 years ago, and even somewhat ignorant - I don't know if you got the memo, but Hip Hop is international now - and has been for quite some time.

Don't mean to be mean, but y'all are soooo faar out of your element with this ish.
    !
    Possum Tom said:
    Rap is a tough thing to pull off without being from here..
    shooterali said:
    Possum Tom said:
    Rap is a tough thing to pull off without being from here. t.

Yup, this pretty much sums up how a lot of US producers. Mainly the one's I know.
    so this song aside, what you are saying is that no one in the US takes any hip hop that is not from the US seriously?

Yes. Maybe not no one, but VERY few people in the U.S. take non U.S. hip hop serious.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    This whole convo just reminds me that America takes little interest in a LOT of things outside its own borders. Except, you know, the Middle East.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    This whole convo just reminds me that America takes little interest in a LOT of things outside its own borders. Except, you know, the Middle East.

Dude, post up some Ulurutronics or get back down the pub.

• its hard to do man...something about rap is definitely really REAALLY tied to some urban american black experience. moreso than older black music in general...probably cause hiphop was directly addressing their immediate reality in the lyrics. most of them anyway. why do you think so many of the foreign groups mention the bronx and nyc and the old school dudes and try to trace ome tenuous connection to it? so it always seems a little out of place.

im not gonna hate across the board, cause good music is good music period.

i just got a little tired somewhere down the line of the perpetually hard angry hiphop artist. i laugh at the dudes who drive by my crib blasting mo murdah shit and they got the biggest scowls on their faces. yo, if you got so much to frown about, maybe you should listen to some marvin gaye, homie. cause i see motherfuckers listening to upbeat shit too and they look happy as hell. go figure. so im just shaking my head when i see dudes in australia on some angry shit. what, youre angry that hiphop is dead or something?? damn, dont you got anything else to keep it real abbout? borrrrrrrrrrrrring.

that track was kinda tepid. not bad but definitely not interesting.
    last nonsense im gonna say is theres only two kinds of music: good and bad. and thats all relative to whos listening to it. so if yall like that shit...rock it and fuck the world!!!!!

oh yeah...when we had a internaitonal thread this year, there was some real dope shit that got poasted. who was the brazilian dude MC MArio?? some shit. he had some heat i shoulda followed up on (AYO!!!!!)

oh yeah and calling this thread "RAP AINT DEAD" pretty much crippled any chance of consideration to anything you were going to post.

• In response to my statement "I don't know if you got the memo, but Hip Hop is international now - and has been for quite some time"[/b]

HarveyCanal said:

If only you knew how laughable that starement is to us here in the States...
    Harvey, I know you are a fairly smart person - But that was possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read on here.

What you are essentially saying is that Americans laugh at the notion that Hip Hop exists, and strives outside of the USA - right?

Not only is what you say extremely disrespectful and offensive to pretty much every other country in the world (to all the hard working producers, MC's, DJ's, B Boys, graff writers, and Hip Hop supporters who lived and breathed Hip Hop in every city of this planet for the last 20+ years) - But also to the many Soul Strut members who live out side of the USA, many of whom are rightly considered heavyweights for the talents, skills, and contributions in their respective countries.

Now, fortunately I know plenty of Americans who don't think the same as you, and have nothing but love and respect for the various Hip Hop communities around the world.

As for the song in question.. I kind of lost caring whether anyone considers it wack or not. It just wasn't all that important to me - I am much more concerned about this dangerous elitist xenophobic attitude a few of you are now surprisingly displaying.

Snagglepus said:

So which is it? Should American listeners look at this guy as a regional curiosity with hometown hero status, or should we look at him as an international artist?
    this guy lacks the charisma and originality (i.e. he's too boring and outdated) to even create a blip on the international radar.
    Yes.. of course it's a regional thing. I don't think trying to make on the international radar was ever really a concern. The MC's I know do it because they love it - Not because they want to be some superstar overseas.

SportCasual said:
    Kinetic said:

Dude, post up some Ulurutronics or get back down the pub.

I already posted a recent Australian hip-hop track I like back on the first page, but you probably didn't check it out because it wasn't American.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Americans ARE xenophobic. This is not news.

• where's LokoOne? I recall him posting a Youtube once of his boys' Aussie rap group.
    Oribasan1

• i'm originally from OZ and agree that hip hop is not really suited to our accent,

95% of aussie hiphop TO ME (MY personal opinion) doesn't hit the spot at all...............

I def wouldn't relegate good hiphop to being purely American, though, that's just ignorant!!

There are crews reppin' places across Europe at least, that will step u to the US as far as dopeness is concerned.

• mannybolone said:

this is the same xenophobic attitude that was levelled at canadian rappers, but recently you folks have embraced this dude so you never know, australian hip-hop could be the next big thing.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    frenzie said:

What you are essentially saying is that Americans laugh at the notion that Hip Hop exists, and strives outside of the USA - right?

This is news?

You don't think that if there were some form of music created in Australia, perfected in Australia, and recognized as uniquely Australian, that if you saw a non-Australian performing it you might not have a critical/apathetic/dismissive reaction to it?

• SoulOnIce said:
    frenzie said:

This is news?

You don't think that if there were some form of music created in Australia, perfected in Australia, and recognized as uniquely Australian, that if you saw a non-Australian performing it you might not have a critical/apathetic/dismissive reaction to it?

I don't subscribe to that notion personally - and find that attitude really closed minded and dangerous.

Like I said already,
    Not only was the statement extremely disrespectful and offensive to pretty much every other country in the world (to all the hard working producers, MC's, DJ's, B Boys, graff writers, and Hip Hop supporters who lived and breathed Hip Hop in every city of this planet for the last 20+ years) - But also to the many Soul Strut members who live out side of the USA, many of whom are rightly considered heavyweights for the talents, skills, and contributions in their respective countries.

ok

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    THIS IS NOT ABOUT NATIONALITY.

It's about white dudes who don't shave much and have a buy-2-get-1-free fashion aesthetic who have nothing worthwhile to contribute to the canon of rap. That's why I'm an authority on this. How about everyone else?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    THIS IS NOT ABOUT NATIONALITY.
    Agreed. For me it's an accent thing and a not-Black-enough thing. There are many segments of the American population that I'm not interested in hearing rap from either.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    ZZZZZ

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    the_dL said:
    wow, very surprised at the level of ignorance shown by some of the people I once thought were like/open minded.

Well you do got those Concords dudes, I'll give you that.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    frenzie said:

This is news?

Like Skiffle in the UK.

b/w

Mr. Blobby

^^^ "DaNgErOuS" poast!!! ^^^

I'm not in the least bit surprised by the Americo-centric (is that the term?) sentiment expressed in this thread. It still doesn't make it any more valid though.

• vintageinfants said:

Delay?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    where's LokoOne? I recall him posting a Youtube once of his boys' Aussie rap group.

Im still here... and it was my crews clip I posted.

No point arguing with some of you cus alot of you dont really care for Hip Hop as a whole but most of you only ride for certain artists/styles. But I dont think many of you have any more legitimate claim to a style of music created by 'black & latino' youth than we do unless you are from those communties that created it, and last time I checked many of you are not.

If you dont dig the non Us styles thats cool, its just like regional styles of US Hip Hop. It took years for some dudes to accept LA gangsta rap or Dirty South styles...right/ and some dudes have a specific regional preference (paging Harvey!) so why shouldnt we have our own regional style down under?

The simple thing is this. Many of us got into Hip Hop for the same reasons as you did, and many of us have been doing it in our own areas for just as long...the whole works. Locally many of us built up a scene in our cuities and built networks etc to be able to enjoy the music and the culture and learn as much as possible. Eventually people will try to make their own version of the music they love, partly out of neccesity cus 25 years ago not much Rap was coming down unda.

And our local scene has grown into its own where some of the most succesful artists down unda are local hip hop acts, they might not sell in NY or LA but they cater for their local community (which is very multiculture btw) and there is nothing wrong with that. I think we would deserved to get dissed if we tried to act like we were black americans and rapped in faux ghetto accents, cus that would be an insult imo.

If you dont dig it thats cool too...but no need to attack dudes for doing what they love. They day someone tries to claim Aussie hip hop is better than anything from the states...then you can get your flamethrowers out. But the truth is that even though alot of DOPE hip hop comes out of the US so does alot of WACK shit...and the same applies for Australia.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

LokoOne said:
    I dont think many of you have any more legitimate claim to a style of music created by 'black & latino' youth than we do unless you are from those communties that created it

Uh, this is pretty much the same sentiment as being expressed elsewhere except you took nationality and replaced it with race.

"Dangerous"

• HarveyCanal said:
    frenzie said:

Seriously, like Batmon declared from jump...that song is WACK WACK WACK.

Shit, even for us to be using the term WACK...that's a word we're having to re-access from 15+ years ago because that's at least how far behind the times that song is.

Of course, you probably think of it as DOPE.

Yikes!

Why is it wack?