per0per0 153 Posts
edited December 2010 in Music Talk
Trem - Australia.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Wack

• batmon said:
    Wack

Pero, Like a lot of australian hip hop, this is kind of lost on a lot of heads on this board - They won't appreciate how deep Trem runs in Australia, and how much respect he gets.
    To put it in perspective for the overseas people, Trem is one of the original wordsmiths in Australia, a respected producer, and one of the freshest graff writers out here.
    He has a handfull of top quality releases from throughout the years. On the rare occassion that he has something new, it is hotly antipicated. What you see in the video is very much how trem has always repped himself - no gimmicks - just straight up lyrical hip hop.
    This track was just released last night. It's already creating the buzz it deserves. People are fiending for the forthcoming album.
    Heads might not like it - but calling Trem wack ? I don't know of anyone here in australia that would agree with you..

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    batmon said:
    Wack

Haha! Batmon on the case! ;)

• frenzie said:
    batmon said:
    Wack

Pero, Like a lot of australian hip hop, this is kind of lost on a lot of heads on this board - They won't appreciate how deep Trem runs in Australia, and how much respect he gets.
    To put it in perspective for the overseas people, Trem is one of the original wordsmiths in Australia, a respected producer, and one of the freshest graff writers out here.
    He has a handfull of top quality releases from throughout the years. On the rare occassion that he has something new, it is hotly antipicated. What you see in the video is very much how trem has always repped himself - no gimmicks - just straight up lyrical hip hop.
    This track was just released last night. It's already creating the buzz it deserves. People are fiending for the forthcoming album.
    Heads might not like it - but calling Trem wack ? I don't know of anyone here in australia that would agree with you..

I can respect all of that but man, does all Australian Hip Hop trail American Hip Hop like this?? That's not meant as a dis, but this style & imagery is like 15-20 years to us. In a weird way though, I respect that dude's upholding what very well might be what he loves (90's era rap) without an ounce of irony.

That said, I'm not feeling this song one bit.

• Herm said:

I can respect all of that but man, does all Australian Hip Hop trail American Hip Hop like this?? That's not meant as a dis, but this style & imagery is like 15-20 years to us. In a weird way though, I respect that dude's upholding what very well might be what he loves (90's era rap) without an ounce of irony.

That said, I'm not feeling this song one bit.

No.. not all Australian hip hop sounds like this. Now days it has a real diverse sound, as there are a lot of different people putting out a lot of product - So naturally you get a lot of variation in sound and what Hip Hop means to them.

As for Trem - well you said it - "dude's upholding what very well might be what he loves (90's era rap) without an ounce of irony". Trem is obviously paying homage to what he likes with this track. Beyond that I'm not going to justify why he does what he does, as I have my own ideas on what I like..

But Herm, you say his style is 15-20 years to you guys. Just wondering where you think US hip hop is at now days? Because I can't help but notice that a lot of recent US hip hop is really just kinda fruity. Not all of course - I know there is still plenty of good new release hip hop (and I kind of like the fact that you need to search for it now) - But overall, what America sells as "Hip Hop" to the masses is kind of cheeseball compared to 15-20 years ago. No disrespect intended.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    that shit hurts my ears.

rap hands akimbo!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    How about this then? Brand new shit from a crew I used to DJ for.

That's Them - Killer by LookUP

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Rap is a tough thing to pull off without being from here. When the British played rock, they really got it. The Yardbirds, Beatles, Zeppelin, Sabbath all were game changing groups that acheived monsterous success in the states. Plenty of Aussie bands too. But there is something about Hip Hop that is uniquely American. I'm not sure that's such a good thing, but it's true. I have tried to fight my rap xenophobia. No matter how hard I try, it's diffilcult for me to take seriously someone rhyming with an accent.

• Possum Tom said:
    Rap is a tough thing to pull off without being from here...
    But there is something about Hip Hop that is uniquely American. I'm not sure that's such a good thing, but it's true. I have tried to fight my rap xenophobia. No matter how hard I try, it's diffilcult for me to take seriously someone rhyming with an accent.

That's a fairly self centered comment, typical of perhaps 15 or 20 years ago, and even somewhat ignorant - I don't know if you got the memo, but Hip Hop is international now - and has been for quite some time.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    each to his own

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    the_dL said:
    Possum Tom said:
    Rap is a tough thing to pull off without being from here. When the British played rock, they really got it. The Yardbirds, Beatles, Zeppelin, Sabbath all were game changing groups that acheived monsterous success in the states. Plenty of Aussie bands too. But there is something about Hip Hop that is uniquely American. I'm not sure that's such a good thing, but it's true. I have tried to fight my rap xenophobia. No matter how hard I try, it's diffilcult for me to take seriously someone rhyming with an accent.

interesting statement, any time before 1995-6 i probably would have agreed with you, however in 2010 I can honestly say only a very small amount of the hip hop i still listen to (and yes i still regularly and actively buy hip hop records) is from the US.

Wow. I feel bad for you! You need to listen to more U.S. Hip Hop!!!!!!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Possum Tom said:

Well said. I agree 110%

Big_Chan said:

Wow. I feel bad for you! You need to listen to more U.S. Hip Hop!!!!!!

i listen to a lot of US hip hop, I have no pre conceived notions about any music, and am prepared to give anything a go, as far as I am concerned good music is good music, regardless of where it comes from or what accent it may or may not contain

• Possum Tom said:

I'd agree and I'm from the UK. There are(well, were) a lot of people into UK hip hop in the early 2000s, but its not got a scene in the way it used to i don't think. Its not something i've ever really connected with, but i'm more about vocal sound and flow than lyrical content.

• Why I don't like the beat: the drums are stiff as hell. Piano+violin+wistful vocal samples-- did that formula ever make for interesting hip hop?

I wouldn't call this dude "wack" as a rapper, but where's the personality? These real rap dudes think all there is to "real" is mean-mugging in a basement with a hoodie on.

I don't dislike this because it's Australian. After all, there is nothing Australian about it but the accent.

And let me get this straight: Rap ain't dead because this dude is rapping about how rap IS dead?
    Oribasan1

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    THIS THREAD = EURO(RAP)MAN PERSONIFIED

Brian said:

Australia is Euro now?

• Possum Tom said:

Yup, this pretty much sums up how a lot of US producers. Mainly the one's I know.

Fuck the blah blah, THAT shit is wack.

How u got to that meaning the dude is wack or Austrailian Hip Hop is wack is on you.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Dude sounds like a Necro wannabe from like 15 years ago. meh

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    frenzie said:

That's a fairly self centered comment, typical of perhaps 15 or 20 years ago, and even somewhat ignorant - I don't know if you got the memo, but Hip Hop is international now - and has been for quite some time.

If only you knew how laughable that starement is to us here in the States.

Don't mean to be mean, but y'all are soooo faar out of your element with this ish.

Seriously, like Batmon declared from jump...that song is WACK WACK WACK.

Shit, even for us to be using the term WACK...that's a word we're having to re-access from 15+ years ago because that's at least how far behind the times that song is.

Of course, you probably think of it as DOPE.

Yikes!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Let me chime in here.

This is WACK.

Also

Are you not the types of rap fans who insist that rap generally sucks these days? It's still true when it's your mates. Get some perspective.

-signed
    4-Elements EuroBriddishman Rap died in 1990 and never should have hit tha club type person.

• frenzie said:
    Like a lot of australian hip hop, this is kind of lost on a lot of heads on this board - They won't appreciate how deep Trem runs in Australia, and how much respect he gets.
    frenzie said:
    I don't know if you got the memo, but Hip Hop is international now - and has been for quite some time.

So which is it? Should American listeners look at this guy as a regional curiosity with hometown hero status, or should we look at him as an international artist? I'll take your word for it that he stands out in Australia. But frankly, this guy lacks the charisma and originality (i.e. he's too boring and outdated) to even create a blip on the international radar.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    the_dL said:
    Brian said:

lmao

*saves*

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    batmon said:

That's just sick!

seriously zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• the_dL said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    frenzie said:

If only you knew how laughable that starement is to us here in the States.

Don't mean to be mean, but y'all are soooo faar out of your element with this ish.
    !
    Possum Tom said:
    Rap is a tough thing to pull off without being from here..
    shooterali said:
    Possum Tom said:
    Rap is a tough thing to pull off without being from here. t.

Yup, this pretty much sums up how a lot of US producers. Mainly the one's I know.
    so this song aside, what you are saying is that no one in the US takes any hip hop that is not from the US seriously?