The 2010 NFL Thread

Comments

• Week 2 weirdness:

The Vikings are 0-2, not a big deal but a shitty way to start the season, Old Man Football skips training camp and shit ahppens. Sack-fumble-touchdown was great.

The Cowboys are 0-2, also not a big deal, but they lost at home to the Bears, who lost to the Lions last week. The Cowboys at least need to give their running game a shot, fucking Romo passes 51 times?!

The Eagles vs Lions was really entertaining. The Lions made you sweat, think about that Eagles fans, the on-side kick! I like how Vick looked, there's going to be starter drama yet again in Philly.

Tampa Bay is 2-0! Does Carolina suck that hard?

The Steelers tell Chris Johnson, you ain't gonna do shit and hold him to 34 yards, that's a big fucking deal. If Pitt keeps running Mendenlhall so hard he's not going to last more than 10 weeks.

Broncos roll on the Seahawks, what's Pete Caroll got to say now?

So after the Redskins gets iced on the 53 yarder, Shannahan doesn't ice Houston?! What part of the game is that?

The Jets come from behind to pull off the win. What happened to the Pats secondary, looked awful. The pass rush was also dreadful. Sanchize looked, dare I say it, actually much improved from Monday?

The Falcons put a hurting on Arizona, Saints beware. ;)

The Colts stomped the Giants, what an ugly Sunday night. Tom Coughlin has got to go.

Take it away fellas.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    Pats are going to have a field day with them next week. Tom Bieber looked all business versus Cincy. That young defense looked pretty tough too. I know its only week one, but the Pats are flying under the radar and on the hunt, dangerous combination.

So wrong. That was so upsetting, I actually had to pop a Rolaids.

STRUH-GUH-LING!

• Dudes, that Pittsburgh game was like being shot out of a cannon... We did a game summary 1:30 into the game that basically said:

- 98 yd kickoff return
    - Sack, lost fumble
    - Fight, 30 yds in offsetting penalties

Add to it two more fights, 4 qbs on the field, both teams with a TD called back on penalties, recovered onsides kick, and Troy Polamalu playing Batman, and that was some ridiculous football game. I just slept til 10:30 to recover.

Pitt D is fucking absurd.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    As I mentioned earlier as Flaccido goes, so de we. Dude was a train wreck yesterday. Still haven't allowed a TD this season yet. Gangster.

• DB_Cooper said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    Pats are going to have a field day with them next week. Tom Bieber looked all business versus Cincy. That young defense looked pretty tough too. I know its only week one, but the Pats are flying under the radar and on the hunt, dangerous combination.

So wrong. That was so upsetting, I actually had to pop a Rolaids.

STRUH-GUH-LING!

Love that Namath clip, "I wanna kizz u raight nowe"

Once they made that two point conversion I knew it was over.

I was also really looking forward to writing "The Myth of Revis Island" today, but Randy only got to style on him once. Guess I'll have to wait...

• 49ers FTW...

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    the nfl red zone on my phone = sick!!!! and the Chiefs are still in first place!

• Helluva game. Smith played like a man for once. I credit the mystical power of Jerry's presence in the bldg. Some bad breaks. That first snap was amateur hour. Mike had a good couple of challenges. We almost beat the champs. But an L is still an L. Im not mad at my squad though; they brought it.

• Options
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Helluva game. Smith played like a man for once. I credit the mystical power of Jerry's presence in the bldg. Some bad breaks. That first snap was amateur hour. Mike had a good couple of challenges. We almost beat the champs. But an L is still an L. Im not mad at my squad though; they brought it.

That offensive line has a definite future. New Orleans was lucky to get out of there with a win.

Bad, bad week for Reggie Bush if the injury means he's out for a while.

I don't see much of the Niners lately but Smith looked like a real QB tonight.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    Helluva game. Smith played like a man for once. I credit the mystical power of Jerry's presence in the bldg. Some bad breaks. That first snap was amateur hour. Mike had a good couple of challenges. We almost beat the champs. But an L is still an L. Im not mad at my squad though; they brought it.

Smith has played well before; it happens just enough for this franchise, combined with him being a likable guy/good story/hard worker, to continue believing he'll pan out. It's what arguably makes Smith that more damaging a QB bust than say a Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf, assuming this is just another "moral victory" blip ala Smith's 2nd halves in Houston and Green Bay last year and he'll revert during the KC/Atl/Phi stretch. Sunk cost fallacy in full effect.

(That said, for the love of god, please prove me wrong #11 - 3)

• It was disheartening to see my Skins lose in overtime, but better now than late in the season when playoff spots are on the line. I think we'll get back on track and handle St. Louis and brace ourselves for McNabb's homecoming the week after. It was nice to see our offense open up and put points on the board after struggling to do so against Dallas. I think that if we play like we have the past 2 weeks, we should hand the Rams a loss and get back on the winning track. We lost a lot of games last year by close margins. With an effective offense and a defense that can get us turnovers at vital points of the game, I see those losses of yesteryear turn into wins this year.

Vick looked great, although it was against the Lions. The Lions are vastly improved by being able to compete well into the late 4th quarter, but had Vick performed that well against the Ravens, Jets, or Steelers, there would be no question that Vick would win the starting role for the rest of the season. But you can't lose a position due to injury. When Kolb threw for 300 yards in 2 straight games last season, McNabb went right back to his position of starter. I think it's only fair that Kolb gets his role back. I just hope they believe in him long enough for my Skins to face him. I'd rather him than Vick any day of the week, even on Monday. And I hate Mondays.

Of all the 0-2 teams, it seems as if Dallas draws the most concern. Every year predictions have the Cowboys in their "breakout" year, but they never live up to the predictions. I think that the Cowboys can make the playoffs, but I'm not touting them as Super Bowl bound. That offensive line, even with Columbo back, looked all sorts of awry. Of course, the blame has a trickle-down effect. With Jerry owning everything, he should own all the blame, sending some down to Wade Phillips, then Garrett, then Romo, then the offensive line that has played offensively, then the fans who believe that they are Super Bowl bound every daggone year.

The Giants. Ayah.

• rootlesscosmo said:

The Niners put up great numbers last night. 417 yards total offense, 24 first downs 10 by rushing, 5/9 on third down attmepts, 2 sacks on Brees, holding the Saints to 50 rushing yards, that's a lot of good. Too many fumbles though, but a lot of good to build on.

• Breaking: Braylon Edwards arrested for DWI at 5:15am today.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Steel Curtain is Baaack Baby.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    RAJ said:

Steelers defense is giving me mad fantasy points. QB situation is sketchy though.

RE: MNF game, Niners really need to throw to Vernon Davis more.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    God damn the Niners for giving me hope again. I was much happier after the Seahawks loss thinking that I could write off another season and focus on the baseball Giants blowing their lead and missing the playoffs. Seattle fans must have had huge transitive relation boner last night during the third quarter (Seattle >> Niners; Niners > New Orleans therefore Seattle >>> The World Champs)

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    Niners > New Orleans

How do you figure?

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    dollar_bin said:
    Niners > New Orleans

How do you figure?

yeah that's crazy talk.

• Hey, we gave the world champs a very serious run for their money. And we did it with a shit QB. Moral victory for sure. But still an L.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    phongone said:
    RAJ said:

Steelers defense is giving me mad fantasy points. QB situation is sketchy though.

RE: MNF game, Niners really need to throw to Vernon Davis more.

That looks a penalty in the current NFL. Shrug.
    Vernon Davis would get the ball thrown to him more if the other receivers were more threatening. SF COULD (emphasize could) have a great offense where everything comes out of the TE like SD, but their WRs need to step up, and Gore needs to get back to pre-injury Gore. Smith needs to also play a consistently solid (not great mind you, but solid) 4 quarters of football.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    phongone said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    dollar_bin said:
    Niners > New Orleans

How do you figure?

yeah that's crazy talk.

Gosh, you guys sound awfully defensive. Perhaps eking out a last minute win against the lowly Niners is not the performance level expected from an unstoppable world champion team. Clearly, the Saints are the superior team and the final score reflected that, but for a few delirious minutes in the third quarter the Niners attained an improbable lead even after spotting the Saints nine easy points in the opening part of the game. Rootless said it best, it's a moral victory but a loss for San Francisco nonetheless.

• incompletejigsaw said:

Vick looked great, although it was against the Lions. The Lions are vastly improved by being able to compete well into the late 4th quarter, but had Vick performed that well against the Ravens, Jets, or Steelers, there would be no question that Vick would win the starting role for the rest of the season. But you can't lose a position due to injury.

Breaking news: it looks like Kolb has lost the position. But not due to injury- I think Andy Reid's saying it's a football decision.
    The Eagles are still a weekly soap opera, even with McNabb gone.... wowww :dodododo:

• I Had Sex With The Lyn Christopher Record said:
    incompletejigsaw said:

Vick looked great, although it was against the Lions. The Lions are vastly improved by being able to compete well into the late 4th quarter, but had Vick performed that well against the Ravens, Jets, or Steelers, there would be no question that Vick would win the starting role for the rest of the season. But you can't lose a position due to injury.

Breaking news: it looks like Kolb has lost the position. But not due to injury- I think Andy Reid's saying it's a football decision.
    The Eagles are still a weekly soap opera, even with McNabb gone.... wowww :dodododo:

That's just crazy. Although the Eagles have a better chance with Vick under center, the problem now is that the Eagles are almost severing the trust between them and Kolb. Kolb is probably in the most uncomfortable position of any quarterback in the league right now. To be the understudy to the team record leader of touchdown passes and have the position given to you after years of learning through trial and error and hard work, only to have that position taken away from you and given to a similar-vein version of the quarterback you were the understudy of. With all the Favre drama that happened about 2 years ago, Rodgers never had to deal with all the things Kolb is dealing with. All I know is that if Vick fails and Kolb is sent in with almost no rapport with his receivers and backs and linemen, Reid will be on that last train to Anywhere Other Than Philadelphia.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Vick is hot. Keep him in there. Kolb can wait. The nfc east is going to be a dog fight. So it makes sense to have Vick in there....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    phongone said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    dollar_bin said:
    Niners > New Orleans

How do you figure?

yeah that's crazy talk.

Gosh, you guys sound awfully defensive. Perhaps eking out a last minute win against the lowly Niners is not the performance level expected from an unstoppable world champion team. Clearly, the Saints are the superior team and the final score reflected that, but for a few delirious minutes in the third quarter the Niners attained an improbable lead even after spotting the Saints nine easy points in the opening part of the game. Rootless said it best, it's a moral victory but a loss for San Francisco nonetheless.

It wasn't a moral victory at all. A Monday night home underdog is expected to perform above their heads. San Fran did that...as expected...and still fell short. Now, they have a short week and travel to Kansas City as a shaky road favorite...so don't be surprised if they fall to 0-3.

• HarveyCanal said:
    dollar_bin said:
    phongone said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    dollar_bin said:
    Niners > New Orleans

How do you figure?

yeah that's crazy talk.

It wasn't a moral victory at all. A Monday night home underdog is expected to perform above their heads. San Fran did that...as expected...and still fell short. Now, they have a short week and travel to Kansas City as a shaky road favorite...so don't be surprised if they fall to 0-3.

WE. CANT. START. 0-3.

we just can't. I won't allow it.

and yo, KC is good but not THAT good; their 0-2 record doesn't really accurately reflect who we're facing. they barely beat cleveland.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    You can go 0-8 and still win that division.

• edpowers said:
    You can go 0-8 and still win that division.

A distinct possiblity.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Every sports reporter is praising Vick. Noone has the balls to say they don't like the move because he is a DOG MURDERER.

• Options
    RAJ said:
    Every sports reporter is praising Vick. Noone has the balls to say they don't like the move because he is a DOG MURDERER.

Probably because half of them used to go to his dogfights.